Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Wow, love how X gives an ostensibly level 12 mission with a completely unbeatable level 15 boss at the end. Great stuff.

Also, don't start Hope's mission until you have a fast travel point registered on the northmost continent, or else if you really loving love swimming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Amppelix posted:

Uh, what does that mean? Did you somehow intentionally avoid using them in battle or what?

I mean I kept them at whatever their default was and never changed them. If the prompt came up in battle, I did it, but I never fully engaged with the system. Still beat the game and finished a large majority of the sidequests. Only quit when one of the quests bugged out on me and I couldn't finish it. Killed my motivation to continue.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, that's just as well. If you never really looked at the menu you wouldn't have learned that you can't customise soul voices for anyone except yourself, and even then 16/20 of them are half-preset. The defaults are probably absolutely fine for the entire game.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I finished Torna, and now I'm back in the main game for cleanup before I move on. I think I'll save ng+ for some other time, maybe before the remaster of XC1 comes out. Torna was pretty good though Gormott desperately needed a nighttime music theme to break it up a bit. Loved not having to play musical blades to meet field checks though the map was littered with locked chests until I finally got to the capital and got Brighid enough chests for lockpicking 3.

I dabbled in post game farming in the base XC2 game long enough to realize it wasn't fun for me. I still wanted the three missing gacha blades though. So I abused the cloud save feature with a handful of legendary cores I got from driver comboing cloud sea ken before he killed me. 924 luck on Zeke:

5 legendary cores with the fire booster to get Newt.
60 legendary cores with the wind booster to get Zenobia.
213 legendary cores with the light booster to get KOS-MOS.

I'd turned off automatic cloud saves, uploaded a save with the cores and closed out the game and downloaded the cloud save every time I got nothing. Once I got someone I'd update the cloud save, then get back to it for the next one. May need to be subbed to the nintendo online subscription for access to the cloud. Took about 3 hours while watching tv. RNG is weird so who knows if it would have taken me 278 cores to get them all the intended way. And I know I flushed some good 4* blades with orb master so this method loses out on those unless you save them. Props to anyone who did the farming the long way, and condolences to those who did so without the ability to skip the summoning animations. If this method hadn't worked for me, or if my save game got screwed up or corrupted, I was ready to just watch their quests and heart to hearts on youtube so I can move on to Breath of the Wild this week.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I really didn't appreciate how lucky I was to get KOS-MOS as early as I did until I started reading strategies for post game.

Of course, reading them makes me miss the game so maybe it's time to finally go do NG+

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

KOS-MOS was, I think, like my first or second unique blade.

It didn't set in how lucky that was for a while.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's how much fun I'm having with X: i bought a wii u pro controller in 2020 to play it with

God this game owns

It's an unpolished beautiful mess, but it owns

Here's something that happened today: i took on a quest (recommended level well below my own) without paying attention to what the destination was. That destination turned out to be sylvalum, one of the two continents across the sea. I had never been there and there is no obvious route offered. If you start even going in that direction all the enemies quickly jump in level to twice above the recommended level of the quest. Aaand since this was an affinity mission, you can't cancel it or do any other affinity or main missions until it's done.

This is the kind of hosed up situation xenoblade chronicles x thrusts you into with alarming regularity. Quest markers in the middle of super high level enemy territory, unclear guidance, terrible signposting in the world design. And yet, it's kind of cool in how it really makes you feel like the world is indifferent to your existence, and you really have landed on a terrifying alien planet where almost everything wants to kill you and you're just trying to carve out an existence. And i really, really do love the world they've built and exploring it. Exploration is one of my favourite video game activities so i was hoping this game would deliver on that based on its reputation and it absolutely does.

By the way, in the above example the solution was naturally to just jump in the ocean and swim for 10 minutes until you reach the opposing shore (where the enemies are suddenly low level again). Of course!

E: lol just noticed someone warned me about this on this very page and i forgot, although it was a different mission.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

How about that Sylvalum music though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajBDGwumWcA

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I dunno, I couldn't hear it over how incredulous I was at the game actually letting me do this quest this early

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Swimming to Sylvalum is part of the true XCX experience. gently caress waiting until you have Skells.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

by the way, here's my beautiful character

The character creation owns but I have one small issue with it; if you change your skin tone to be something radically different like this purple, all the makeup and hair colours also shift along with it. So all my options were various shades of purple. Not very creatively freeing.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 23, 2020

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Xenoblade Chronicles X has imo the best open world in any game. If the main plot and game structure weren't such a mess and the battle system polished up a bit more it would easily be one of the best games of all time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Swimming to Sylvalum is part of the true XCX experience. gently caress waiting until you have Skells.

The fact it just... lets you do it. Sure, why not, gently caress it! There's actually also some sand bar areas and interesting coastal features in places but depending on where you depart it might be mostly open ocean but if you commit to it you're good to go.

And if you land at the right place, I believe there's also beach chairs and umbrellas set up already?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah there are some landmasses, but those areas are full of level 30+ enemies who are very happy to see you should you wander in.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Amppelix posted:

By the way, in the above example the solution was naturally to just jump in the ocean and swim for 10 minutes until you reach the opposing shore (where the enemies are suddenly low level again). Of course!

There used to be an Easter egg in Google Maps that, when you asked for directions from somewhere in Europe to somewhere in the US, would give you a route leading to the coast and saying "now swim across the Atlantic Ocean".
Nowadays it just tells you to fly :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

drat it now I want to explore Mira again

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ohtsam posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X has imo the best open world in any game. If the main plot and game structure weren't such a mess and the battle system polished up a bit more it would easily be one of the best games of all time.

Yeah the one thing XCX got right was the world design and exploration (until you got skell flight then rip). Game balance was completely hosed up though and since XP from combat was affected by level differences you could hit level 30, get an Amadusias, and murder a bunch of small lvl 44-50 enemies to rocket up a dozen levels in less than an hour.

And the MC could do some amazingly broken builds like endless overdrive while popping invulnerability buffs and poo poo, especially if you kept that test gun that did 1 damage per shot but gave 300ap per shot. Just Swap to that rifle every few seconds to ensure you had all the AP you'd ever need for your melee murder combos. And eventually with the right passives you could eventually ditch the gun as well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’ll just say it, we need a xbx remaster for the switch. Just put all the resource poo poo to a submenu

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So what carries over to new game plus and how does it affect the new game plus

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I’ll just say it, we need a xbx remaster for the switch. Just put all the resource poo poo to a submenu

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Calaveron posted:

The UI needs an overhaul. Comparing and swapping gear/cosmetics should be less of a chore, among other things.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

The UI needs an overhaul. Comparing and swapping gear/cosmetics should be less of a chore, among other things.

Monolith Soft cannot make good menus. I believe it is contractual.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah the one thing XCX got right was the world design and exploration (until you got skell flight then rip). Game balance was completely hosed up though and since XP from combat was affected by level differences you could hit level 30, get an Amadusias, and murder a bunch of small lvl 44-50 enemies to rocket up a dozen levels in less than an hour.

And the MC could do some amazingly broken builds like endless overdrive while popping invulnerability buffs and poo poo, especially if you kept that test gun that did 1 damage per shot but gave 300ap per shot. Just Swap to that rifle every few seconds to ensure you had all the AP you'd ever need for your melee murder combos. And eventually with the right passives you could eventually ditch the gun as well.
Balance being hosed in the player's favour is not a problem. You can always just not do the broken thing. The part where the game balance being poor stings is when you are given almost impossible tasks constantly and it's equally almost impossible to tell whether you're doing it wrong and there was an easier alternative somewhere or if you're really just meant to fight these enemies that are 10 levels above the recommended level for the mission.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

One thing XC2 got right was letting you knock your level back down, or crank it up, or toggle all sorts of difficulty options. Although I think you needed NG+ for some of that stuff.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh i'm sorry, did i pick a bad spot to park my squad of giant robots? am i inconveniencing traffic with my skell in the middle of an intersection?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I forgot how many good ideas the game had, even if some of them are a bit unpolished

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It should have let more actual aliens join your party instead of handwaving all the cool species they made away as being too physically weak to use weapons or too malproportioned to use a skell.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Alxprit posted:

It should have let more actual aliens join your party instead of handwaving all the cool species they made away as being too physically weak to use weapons or too malproportioned to use a skell.

It's fun how the aliens who do join the party aren't members of the alien races that are actually in the game.
(Though I guess really everyone in the game is all the same, they're from another world, they don't belong here anymore, so it's not fair to not include humans as aliens)

(It's also fun how there are like, literally two alien species that are specifically designated as "Good At Fighting" but they can't join the team because their bodies aren't proportioned like humans so they wouldn't be able to wear one of the six dozen tank tops for reasons

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Seriously wrothians were the most obvious choice for alien party member
My theoretical xbx remaster would let you change your party layout from a menu, instead of having to individually hunt down every stupid guy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i'm getting upset all over again that i can't have a team with a bunch of different aliens all wearing jeans and t-shirts

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I like how many of the sidequests allow for somewhat drastic changes in the status quo of the world and characters; makes them feel much more meaningful than your standard JRPG side stuff. I guess 1 and 2 also have this sort of design ethos but somehow it feels more impactful here. Like I just did a quest where two named NPCs died unceremoniously and a third one could have, depending on my choice.

By the way, that quest was about parasitic organisms controlling people, which i thought was fine for a quick horror pastiche but when i thought about it for two more seconds, it immediately runs up against the wall that wait a minute, aren't we all robots???

I feel like the whole mimeosome thing was not really much thought about during writing. Humans apparently have the technology to produce exact robotic replicas of themselves so real as to be indistinguishable, capable of eating and sleeping!? And also remote control them?!? The whole thing falls apart like a deck of cards at the slightest examination, and most of the time is just ignored in favour of treating everyone as normal humans. So I feel like the process here went "wouldn't it be cool if everyone was robots, and then we could do a few cool reveals?" "yeah that would own" "let's do it" and they pretty much left it at that.

Not that I'm really complaining. This is one of those dreaded Plot Holes that doesn't actually matter or affect your enjoyment of the story as it's being told. But I do think it's pretty funny when you think about it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Amppelix posted:

I feel like the whole mimeosome thing was not really much thought about during writing. Humans apparently have the technology to produce exact robotic replicas of themselves so real as to be indistinguishable, capable of eating and sleeping!? And also remote control them?!?

Some of it probably is translation changes I'm guessing, and/or what bits you put together or choose to believe as real vs unreliable narrators and twists.

Basically though the answer is they didn't and maybe don't, and also something very weird is going on with outside forces that make no sense to those that should understand circumstances otherwise.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man the skells were such a cool concept, being a customizable mecha you could fly around with to explore the world to your heart's content but they very much broke the rest of the game's challenge

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
How fucken cool was it when you outfitted your entire party with their own customized giant robots to rain fire and deadly rail gun fire on enemies

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also wandering around and suddenly sick guitar riffs start blasting at you and a giant loving monster alien just started wailing on you

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Calaveron posted:

Also wandering around and suddenly sick guitar riffs start blasting at you and a giant loving monster alien just started wailing on you

Or in many cases one shot you because it was a super boss meant for smells.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4r8ufspg0

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Calaveron posted:

How fucken cool was it when you outfitted your entire party with their own customized giant robots to rain fire and deadly rail gun fire on enemies

The super-weapons were fun, too. One was an "airstrike on a rope" that you'd swing to explode a lot of dudes in one shot.

And sometimes it would punt you into cockpit mode and refresh all your cooldowns.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Who needs railguns whe. You surround the enemy and immediately shred it with beam scythes? :black101:

A XCX remaster with another 6 months of qa and balance work would make for a wonderful game. Toss world tyrants in to the regular world and allow for main Tory coop, either sync friends to your level or say gently caress it to the remaining shreds of balance, and add a 3-4 person reserve party for quest npcs you need but don’t want to use.

The WiiU version just tried to do too much in too little time and feels like a test build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Amppelix posted:

This is the kind of hosed up situation xenoblade chronicles x thrusts you into with alarming regularity. Quest markers in the middle of super high level enemy territory, unclear guidance, terrible signposting in the world design. And yet, it's kind of cool in how it really makes you feel like the world is indifferent to your existence, and you really have landed on a terrifying alien planet where almost everything wants to kill you and you're just trying to carve out an existence. And i really, really do love the world they've built and exploring it.

This is a concise explanation of what I liked about MMO's and what drew me to XCX. A world that kind of exists without you, and you go out and make your way in it.