Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

because in the Bible's warped point of view on life, all life originated from the Middle East.

Genesis 2:8-14: The Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden. . . . Now a river went out of Eden to water the garden, and from there it parted and became four riverheads. The name of the first is Pishon. . . . The name of the second river is Gihon. . . . The name of the third river is Hiddekel [Tigris]. . . . The fourth river is the Euphrates.

Tigris and Euphrates are located in between Syria and Iraq.

Interesting, thanks for the insight into the research behind calling Adam and Eve "a sand friend of the family couple". And to assuage your concerns, my previous post certainly wasn't sarcastic :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

Added Space posted:

This appears to be the ramblings of a disaffected teenager.

The viewpoint character appears to have a severely underdeveloped sense of self. As a result they are very credulous, mistaking fiction for reality and easily accepting spurious claims. They also lack self-direction, not having goals for themselves outside of very superficial or socially mediated concerns. The rapid shifts between unrelated thoughts serms like early symptoms of schizophrenia, but it's too coherent to really capture that.

Quite frankly I hate all books in the "society sucks I'm so angsty" genre. J D Salinger can die in a fire. This teenager's journal is that shackled to being repetitive and boring. Thus is pretty much one of the worst things written in the history of the English language.

The idea was that Christians and all people that can fantasize that this is really the Anti-Christ would be fascinated with learning all the likes/dislikes and stuff of the Anti-Christ, and the what will he say next kind of deal

DOCTOR Aquaman fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 26, 2017

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

CestMoi posted:

Interesting, thanks for the insight into the research behind calling Adam and Eve "a sand friend of the family couple". And to assuage your concerns, my previous post certainly wasn't sarcastic :D

no prob...the question though is, what kind of synopsis would you provide with this book? on one hand, i don't want to spoil the fun of reading it. on the other, people don't seem to have interest in reading it based on title and author name alone.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

The idea was that Christians and all people that can fantasize that this is really the Anti-Christ would be fascinated with learning all the likes/dislikes and stuff of the Anti-Christ, and the what will he say next kind of deal
Assuming that one of these people actually believes you're the Antichrist at all (instead of Obama or Pope Francis or whoever)... why would they want to give you money to learn your teachings? You might as well try hawking Mein Kampf at a synagogue.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

Just saying "Hey! Hey! Antichrist over here! Listen!" won't make people think that the antichrist is speaking. It will make people think the speaker is crazy or some dope begging for attention.

This technique would only work if you could present it with a bit of humorous satire or self awareness. However, since your writing style is an even more boring and pointless Salinger, I don't think you have the skill to pull that off.

Maybe your best bet is to go to tumblr and claim you have a mental illness. That won't get you a large audience, and you would have to provide your book for free, but I think that's your best shot at a following.

Also, I'm unclear, why do you think this book is "important"? What are you hoping to achieve?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Added Space posted:

Just saying "Hey! Hey! Antichrist over here! Listen!" won't make people think that the antichrist is speaking. It will make people think the speaker is crazy or some dope begging for attention.

This technique would only work if you could present it with a bit of humorous satire or self awareness. However, since your writing style is an even more boring and pointless Salinger, I don't think you have the skill to pull that off.

Also Christians would only read it from an author with already established Christian cred, like C.S. Lewis had when he wrote The Screwtape Letters. OP, maybe you should take your Antichrist gimmick to Twitter and see how well it plays out there, or was the Antichrist user name taken already by someone who thought he was as original as you think you are

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

Added Space posted:

Maybe your best bet is to go to tumblr and claim you have a mental illness. That won't get you a large audience, and you would have to provide your book for free, but I think that's your best shot at a following.

Also, I'm unclear, why do you think this book is "important"? What are you hoping to achieve?

Did you read the chapters about Operation Blackjack?

And what did you think about my theories on religion being the unifying force civilization needed to get to where it is today?

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Assuming that one of these people actually believes you're the Antichrist at all (instead of Obama or Pope Francis or whoever)... why would they want to give you money to learn your teachings? You might as well try hawking Mein Kampf at a synagogue.

idk, i figured they'd be excited to see anything from their fantasy world here in real life (seeing how Jesus sure isn't around) and how he is vs how they thought he'd be

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Your best bet seems to be a guerilla advertising campaign. Print a ton of physical copies and tear out pages, "redact" lots of pages and paragraphs, scribble insane notes in the margins and such. Then just spread them around hipster locations like coffeeshops. Your book will eventually catch on as "ironic" reading.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

And what did you think about my theories on religion being the unifying force civilization needed to get to where it is today?

It's trite

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

op just fyi no one knows or cares who you are or what you think and if i wanted to talk to someone who called themselves the antichrist i can pick any one of the random hobos on the A, C or E trains

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the three antichrists of ypsilanti

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So you are either crazy or a guy admirably dedicated to looking crazy

i cant quite decide which of these it is but it's probably door #1

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i cant quite decide which of these it is but it's probably door #1
Not even that.

Added Space posted:

It will make people think the speaker is crazy or some dope begging for attention.

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

wow, what an intelligent response to such a theory. everyone listen to this guy.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

wow, what an intelligent response to such a theory. everyone listen to this guy.

lol get im!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

Did you read the chapters about Operation Blackjack?

Operation Blackjack is fictional. According to the narrative it was repeatedly acknowledged as fictional, with the author directly stating that people were taking it way too seriously. After the 2016 presidential election people are already aware how many people believe in nonsensical and wrong conspiracies.

The effect of religion on society is also well known. You're not being insightful; you're very late to the party.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Added Space posted:

Operation Blackjack is fictional. According to the narrative it was repeatedly acknowledged as fictional, with the author directly stating that people were taking it way too seriously. After the 2016 presidential election people are already aware how many people believe in nonsensical and wrong conspiracies.
You didn't read that part, then. He spends thousands of words literally just describing each slide on the Telegraph site and saying, "Man, this is hosed-up... like, it's just a story, but it's super hosed-up, and maybe it could actually happen because religion is retarded and gay... hosed-up story." It's somehow even dumber than if he actually believed it.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
while you said that you didn't want notes on your book, i was wondering if you might want notes on your writing in this thread

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

Added Space posted:

Well I've already since discovered that it's a lot more than that.

But just as a blast from the past, I wanna know your thoughts as of now on why he bothered changing the Prime Minister slide to feature David Cameron, before he was even elected. And why there's an editor out there that thought Operation Neptune Spear was called Operation Blackjack http://www.news18.com/blogs/india/subir-bhaumik/operation-blackjack-lessons-for-india-14322-745750.html (site used to be called ibtimes), and wouldn't say more after saying that's what the General told him the name of the operation was. And what the purpose of continuing the madness the way he did years after saying he'd stop was.

DOCTOR Aquaman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 27, 2017

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

Added Space posted:

The effect of religion on society is also well known. You're not being insightful; you're very late to the party.

really, so who were the writers then? do you agree that they were basing it off astrology? do you disagree that somehow, some way, the same group could still be ruling today? you forgot to answer those.

DOCTOR Aquaman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 27, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

really, so who were the writers then? do you agree that they were basing it off astrology? do you disagree that somehow, some way, the same group could still be ruling today? you forgot to answer those.

You didn't ask about those

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You didn't ask about those

can't say i'm not being insightful while ignoring those chapters

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
its like if the dunning-kruger effect were given corporeal form by some mad scientist, and then went off its bipolar meds and decided to write a book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The worst thing is that this is the second guy we've had in the forum shilling a self published pseudo novel while claiming to be divine

He's not even an original lunatic

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Actually, Tao Lin had a publisher

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
if i ever have a lapse in judgment and publish a novel, i hope to g-d i have the presence of mind not to make a sa forum thread about it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The worst thing is that this is the second guy we've had in the forum shilling a self published pseudo novel while claiming to be divine

He's not even an original lunatic

he's also made this thread before (in gbs i think), with comparable levels of success

what ever happened to the mr shivers guy, does he still post

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Tree Goat posted:

if i ever have a lapse in judgment and publish a novel, i hope to g-d i have the presence of mind not to make a sa forum thread about it

It's generally better form to post your horrible poo poo in Creative Convention to have it savaged by goons before you publish it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tree Goat posted:

what ever happened to the mr shivers guy, does he still post

he's a successful author with a few published novels to his name

A goon success story

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
This is really interesting, mate. Hope to get to read some more of it.

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

Mean Bean Machine posted:

This is really interesting, mate. Hope to get to read some more of it.

thanks. that was all of it.

...for now?

DOCTOR Aquaman fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 29, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

thanks. that was all of it.

...for now?

Yes! The world needs more insipid, rambling conspiracy nonsense! It's not already affecting world politics.

Also, spending the last two years living under a rock was the best decision ever!

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

Added Space posted:

Yes! The world needs more insipid, rambling conspiracy nonsense! It's not already affecting world politics.

Also, spending the last two years living under a rock was the best decision ever!

hey. you're the guy that never answered my question!!!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

hey. you're the guy that never answered my question!!!

It wasn't that hard to guess Cameron would be elected, the polls were evenly split. If he were wrong it would be easy enough to change.

Misnaming a military operation on one website is coincidence. The Blackjack you write so much about is fictional. You piling up coincidences to try to say it's not fictional is pure pareidolia.

Your musings about religion are too rambling and nonsensical to even respond to. More pareidolia on your part.

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

Added Space posted:

Misnaming a military operation on one website is coincidence. The Blackjack you write so much about is fictional. You piling up coincidences to try to say it's not fictional is pure pareidolia.

Your musings about religion are too rambling and nonsensical to even respond to. More pareidolia on your part.

you don't find it strange he misnamed it to Operation Blackjack of all things, why would a U.S. general think it was named that while this so called work of fiction was live?

and you never answered why the author would say all that and then spend all that work messing with an audience of almost zero for years after.

my theory about the authors of the Bible basing Christ off of Pisces traits isn't that hard to comprehend, and if you find that so hard to accept then let's just say from what's happened these past couple years that you are loving lost dude.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

my theory about the authors of the Bible basing Christ off of Pisces traits isn't that hard to comprehend, and if you find that so hard to accept then let's just say from what's happened these past couple years that you are loving lost dude.

Yes, clearly he is the misguided one

DOCTOR Aquaman
Mar 7, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes, clearly he is the misguided one

i said so hard to accept, as in it could be true, not as in everyone reading this should already know so after reading this.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i like the writing style, but dont care for the subject matter so much takes me back to my teenage atheist phase

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

DOCTOR Aquaman posted:

I was banking on Christians (an extremely gullible folk, as well as a huge audience to sell to), to be secretly fascinated that the Devil came along and with what he has to say. That didn't work out, when I released this book last year I spent a week spamming church Facebooks and Christian subreddits with this book before getting distracted with new developments, they were just against reading anything that would oppose Christ or disrupt their little happy worlds of stupid or scared to read it or whatever. They would've thought anyone that would claim to be The Anti-Christ was a loving weirdo so that explains that. I still think that with enough hoopla, Christians would jump on this material, might need some fixes first though, or maybe I just hosed myself by picking a crazy pen name and alienated the rational population from reading about Operation Blackjack.

Of course, the devil is the greatest trickster so perhaps I really am The Anti-Christ and just convincing you I'm not ;)

im a Christian and i was curious to see what sort of gimmick you were rolling with but there's no way you expected this to resonate with Christians or actually dupe Christians into thinking it was written by the Adversary himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
First off I wanna say I'm sorry you got such savage feedback and also I'm sorry that my feedback is gonna be kinda savage too. Showing the world something you made from the heart is scary and it's really awful when everyone's first reaction is to violently poo poo all over it. Chin up, my dude. Creating art for entertainment is a savage pursuit and if you're serious about being a better writer then try to take a step back and understand why people are responding this way. Hint: it's not because they're intimidated by your enlightened freethinking.

First, the positives. I like your cheeky cover and the $6.66 price gave me an ironichuckle. I was playing with the idea of giving it a buy so I came back here to read some of it and see if I'd like it. So, uh, that brings me to the bad part. Pretty much the entire segment you've posted is repulsively banal. It's filled with trite cliches presented as hot takes, written in an obnoxious fckin br00tal angsty 17 year old style. I'm guessing you're trying to give an impression of stream-of-consciousness here but it reads like you're deliberately cutting across topics so it's just annoyingly disjointed. Many times you get so mired in details (esp. during the Operation Blackjack parts) that it drags horribly. The angle of Christianity being just wow like so made up is so tired at this point I can't imagine it would make a fundie blush. Overall, idk if you're in-character right now or something, but going by your posting, it seems like you just transliterated your personal blog and called it a book, and none of the content (or the book-about-writing-a-book angle) is interesting enough to justify that.

If you're trying to write a character piece, it's too deliberate and nonsensical, and you're not removing yourself enough. If you're trying to write an informative piece (which I'm only guessing from your subsequent posts), it's not nearly informed enough and is also too nonsensical. Suss out a clearer picture of what you're trying to do here, then probably just rewrite the whole thing from scratch and try to use less cliches. Also, abandon the idea that people are going to be interested in what's inside your head simply because you think it's interesting.

Side note on your posting: It sounds like you might, in fact, be an angsty 17 year old, or are at least convincingly playing one. You seem pretty naive about religion generally and your analysis of Christianity is neither new nor insightful, nor is the cynicism you approach it with. Trying to argue the point is just gonna make you seem egotistical and annoy everybody. So if you wanna avoid baiting a flame war that I assume will probably end in probates then just try not to take it personally and step back for a day or two to process what happened here.

• Locked thread