Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My family is instantiating a new tradition this holiday season: we are giving each other short books on Christmas Eve, so that after the kids have gone to bed, we can have a nice evening of reading and perhaps a bit of discussion of the most interesting work.

Toward that end I'm asking for your best recommendations for books that can be read in a single sitting by the average reader -- let's say no longer than two hours or so, and therefore approximately 100 pages maximum.

All genres welcome. Challenging works are very appropriate. Individual short stories should only be recommended as part of a collection that still meets the length requirement.

I know it's stringent but that's part of the exercise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yep, I was already eyeing We Should All Be Feminists, so I'll definitely be giving that out. Good to hear it was worthwhile, I guess I kind of worried it would be...I don't know, a little too "beginner"? I'll be giving it to someone who is just discovering actual feminism and applying it to her own experiences, so maybe something high-level and simple is just the thing.

Keep the recommendations coming! Thanks to those of you who have contributed already!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Blurred posted:

Oh it's definitely entry-level. When you said "family"I was picturing middle-aged uncles who have probably never read anything positive about feminism in their lives, but if it's someone who's already starting engaging with feminism then there might not be much there to challenge them. Still, at 50 pages I don't think there's any reason not to give it a read.

Yeah, the target for this one hasn't really read any feminist work, but is awakening to the importance of feminist activism (partially due to the #metoo wave, although it was really rooted in Hillary v. Trump). So I think this will be perfect for her.

I wanted to throw de Beauvoir at her, but that's probably a bit heavyweight until she has her bearings in modern theory.

• Locked thread