Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sector_corrector posted:

drat, this thread is making me want to play this again, but i have dragon's dogma waiting for me. last game i actually started running out of trees anywhere on the map, so i was planting acorns and pinecones and waiting for them to repopulate.

Yeah that's been a big bottleneck for me. Unlocking the desert got me a few hundred more wood but now I guess I need to start growing some trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Going to the hidden forest for like 20 hardwood a day ftw

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I got the wilderness farm so that adds like 16 more hardwood a day, it owns

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

goferchan posted:

Yeah that's been a big bottleneck for me. Unlocking the desert got me a few hundred more wood but now I guess I need to start growing some trees

wood is like 10g, once I found that out I never chopped another log

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
game owns!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Next year I'll have something better, I swear

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's the thought that counts.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's a delightful little game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I reach Summer Year 1 iwth level 6 fishing. my farming has been pretty light till now but ive got 100 tiles to worry about now and i havent gotten very far in the mines so my upgrades are slacking. If i just fish all day and talk to my chickens though i can do just fine. I need to clear out the big rocks and stumps though asap because they limit your already small building space in the river variant

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i may do the slime hutch this time because Ive never bothered with it but does it actually get you money at all.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Almost done with Summer Year 1. I woke up today and just played it for six and a half hours, after playing it for seven yesterday. Honestly I'll probably end up going back in after a couple hours. I don't think money is gonna be a problem after Year 1, I'm past level 50 in the mines, got level 7 Farming and Fishing and I think my lowest stats otherwise are hovering around 4-6. The Community Center is getting done, and sometimes I walk into the Joja Mart just to remind myself what needs to be destroyed.

They weren't happy about the green algae in the soup, and the day after all of my crops came in. Heartbreaking

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't not play this in min-max mode to get five stars and impress my grandfather. i'm going to see how many bundles i can close out before spring 2

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think I got 4 candles on my first try simply because I had neglected basically all relationship building and didn't even know there was gonna be a scoring thing.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
my switch is growing insanely powerful, learning new killer moves

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I got 4 candles the first try just playing normally & the reward is pretty bauwss.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Are these candles the ones on the shrine? That’s a rating? I had 4 candles on the shrine light up and Grandpa’s ghost telling me I did good just now but stopped playing after I gave the shrine the diamond it asked for and haven’t got any reward yet.

I always had the nagging feeling I was screwing up bad because I have basically no idea how anything works and make all decisions based on what seems cool (animal products are the backbone of my income just because I like animals and wanted to buy as many as possible) so I guess that’s a big load off my mind.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a lot of ways to fulfill the 4 candles requirements to allow for a variety of playstyles I think. It's pretty flexible while still giving you a good goal to aim for

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I've started a new game and I am going to try to marry somebody other then Penny but it will be difficult. I'm thinking Emily since that wasn't a choice before and she's very mysterious. I chose the mine-farm layout and I'm gonna focus on mining as a money-maker. Not sure how that'll go the first go-around I made most of the big bucks making wine with expensive fruits.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

i can't not play this in min-max mode to get five stars and impress my grandfather. i'm going to see how many bundles i can close out before spring 2

ya my second time around I ended up finishing all bundles in fall 2. I'd be curious how many you complete!

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Jim Barris posted:

I've started a new game and I am going to try to marry somebody other then Penny but it will be difficult. I'm thinking Emily since that wasn't a choice before and she's very mysterious. I chose the mine-farm layout and I'm gonna focus on mining as a money-maker. Not sure how that'll go the first go-around I made most of the big bucks making wine with expensive fruits.

Mining as income would be interesting to try but the mining map won't really help. Like less than one little rock per day spwans in that thing

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

is mining farm the worst farm?

I really enjoy using the foraging / forest farm

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

i did it this time, and it seems like the worst, but it looks nice with the river going through it

i think the big downsides are that there's a lot of walking between all of the different levels and it cuts out a lot of room.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mine started with some gold nd i think a single iridium deposit, but yeah otherwise it kind of stinks. looks real nice though

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah! posted:

mine started with some gold nd i think a single iridium deposit, but yeah otherwise it kind of stinks. looks real nice though

lol, poo poo, mine was just a bunch of drat copper

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm pretty sure its just another smaller quarry thats on your farm with the exact same generation rates and chances. on a related note, just hit winter in my switch game and my quarrys all copper and iron with like two gold ore points :pwn:

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

I think it has the fewest tillable tiles but, it looks cozy and cool. I'm playing it for my psycho challenge

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish the quarry wasn't kind of worthless

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

yeah the quarry barely gives me anything good. I try to go every day to clear it so it'll spawn with better stuff hopefully the next day

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

I wish the quarry wasn't kind of worthless
Yeah I was super excited about unlocking a new area over there wondering what it could be and then when I finally unlocked it and noticed it was just a bunch of rocks I was like "uhh.... lame".

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It would be cool if it gave you just enough ore that you could viably skip doing the mines for a "no fantasy RPG bullshit" run.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

P-Mack posted:

It would be cool if it gave you just enough ore that you could viably skip doing the mines for a "no fantasy RPG bullshit" run.

Im doing a no mines run right now. I think its possible to complete the community centre with a little luck.

Clint sells ores and robin sells stone so there's not a whole lot else you need

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

It does make for some interesting prioritizations though. For example, you need earth crystals to make mayonnaise machines (plus one for the bundle) but the only way to get them without the mines is from geodes. SO once you get one from fishing or w/e, youll need to use a crystalarium to make more. But the crystalarium blueprint is only from level 9 mining skill, which you may never get. So the only way to get one is the reward from the $25000 vault bundle.

So you have to decide if you wanna invest 25k to make mayo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

It does make for some interesting prioritizations though. For example, you need earth crystals to make mayonnaise machines (plus one for the bundle) but the only way to get them without the mines is from geodes. SO once you get one from fishing or w/e, youll need to use a crystalarium to make more. But the crystalarium blueprint is only from level 9 mining skill, which you may never get. So the only way to get one is the reward from the $25000 vault bundle.

So you have to decide if you wanna invest 25k to make mayo.

Lol cool. I haven't really been visiting the mines an found like 25 iron ore in a treasure chest while fishing which was huge news, very exciting

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

In Training posted:

Lol cool. I haven't really been visiting the mines an found like 25 iron ore in a treasure chest while fishing which was huge news, very exciting

Yeah lol even getting stone feels good. And I havent unlocked panning for ore yet since that requires a ghostfish from the mines, but when I get one from the cart I'll be pumped. Whereas in my previous games I never bothered at all

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Panning for ore??? :stare:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The combat is easily the weakest aspect of the game and the mines would be way more fun to explore with like 1/4th of enemy spawns. I don't think I ever competed the desert mines

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Panning for ore??? :stare:

Yeah wtf

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The combat is easily the weakest aspect of the game and the mines would be way more fun to explore with like 1/4th of enemy spawns. I don't think I ever competed the desert mines

They're infinite

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That would explain it, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

When does good poo poo start showing up in the desert mine? I've made it into the 20s and it doesn't seem like there's anything I can't get by warping to floor 100 of the normal mine so far

• Locked thread