Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
it runs a ps2 emulator? im specifically interested in that cos of stuff like suikoden 5 and other rare games and i dont have the old style one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

The plan was I would carry my PS3 about 2miles to her house, hack the firmware, maybe talk to her a bit while I was there. I was hoping for at least a hug out of this ordeal

lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

it runs a ps2 emulator? im specifically interested in that cos of stuff like suikoden 5 and other rare games and i dont have the old style one.

seems like u can do this even on a 500gb slim ... i wonder if i can decode the insane language of the home brew culture enough to install it without causing a small fire

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

the trick does not work on the slim just yet. You might need to wait a few days for them to port the trick to it.

the ps3 slim would use 100% emulation for PS2 games. as long as you are OK with things not being 100% (and some games not working at all) you definitely can go that route if you like

id walk over hot coals to play devil summoner (eu) without paying an ebay scalper :-]

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

any reason you are specific to the EU version?

let me know if you need help modding your ps3. if it's a slim one, I would wait a few days even though a (very) few slims can be modded with this method

if you buy a new one I doubt it's going to come with the most recent firmware, is it?

i mean i live in europe, the eu psn doesnt sell devil summoner or i'd just buy it. i'll wait thank you

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

You can make a NA PSN account and buy it that way

its that simple? ill buy it then. i still wanna play games like suikoden 5 so thank you for the thread nintendo uncle.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

think you can find my ultimate glitch. i left it on "that" system. -- satoru iwata's dying words.

lmao

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

OK so Liquid Drink and I.N.R.I wanted me to write up a guide because the one linked in the OP is a bit wordy, so I right now am hacking my 80GB partial-BC PS3 on a 4.x firmware and here are the steps as I do them:

:siren: Do not do this to any slim model with a model number of 3XXX or above. This will only work on fat PS3s or the Slim 2xxx model. If you try this on any other slim model, your PS3 will be useless! :siren:

OK so here is what I did first:

1) I updated the PS3 to the 4.82 firmware. Here is the US version of the firmware if you need it: http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2017_1113_152d950c365ede4130c53ceb18dcd43b/PS3UPDAT.PUP
I don't think there are different firmware updates for Europe so I.N.R.I could probably use this, but just to be safe you can just update from within the PS3 itself.

2) I plugged my USB drive into my laptop and made the folder PS3/UPDATE and placed PS3UPDAT.PUP in the update folder.

3) I plugged the USB drive into rightmost USB port on the PS3 (if your PS3 is vertical this will be the top USB port). This actually matters for some reason.

4) I followed Sony's instructions on updating the PS3 via USB:

5) I downloaded the NOR/NAND writer software here: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3xploit-now-install-cfw-from-4-82-ofw-nor-nand-software-flash-writer-nor-dumper-released.15500/ (scroll down to the bottom of the page to see it).

6) I plugged my USB thumb drive back into my laptop and placed the flsh.hex file from that software to the root of the USB thumb drive

7) I plugged the USB drive into rightmost USB port on the PS3 (if your PS3 is vertical this will be the top USB port). This actually matters for some reason.

8) I booted up the PS3 and went to the internet browser. I pressed triangle and then clicked on tools and changed the homepage to "use blank page".

9) Now back at the web browser I went to http://redthetrainer.com/ps3/. Then I clicked on PS3 4.xx NOR NAND WRITER. I bookmarked that page and then exited the browser.

10) I re-opened the browser, pressed select to open favorites, went to the exploit site I favorited, and clicked NAND 4.82. You have to check your exact PS3 model number before selecting either NOR or NAND here. Don't pick the wrong one! The few slims that work would have to pick NOR 4.82 here instead.

11) I removed my PS3 controller from the USB port because this can mess with it somehow.

12) I clicked Write to Flash memory. It kept failing so I turned off the PS3, turned it on again, and tried again and it worked on the first try. You will see "Success!" on the screen for a brief moment and it will shut down. If you see the word "success" and the system never shuts down, it didn't work despite it saying it did. Keep trying until it shuts down on its own afterwards.

13) I turned the system back on and it warned me that it was shut down improperly (this is what it should do). I waited as it checked the files.

14) I put this: https://mega.nz/#!wd9xzKaD!qgciU6MQpetWYoWHsBb-k8_WdUjkU8UPT494yXFT6V8 on my USB drive the same way I put the official firmware update on my USB thumb drive. Rename the CEXFERROX482_100.PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP and make sure it is in the PS3/UPDATE folder on your USB thumb drive. This is a custom firmware that you must use for this step. You cannot replace it with your favorite CFW (custom firmware) just yet.

15) I placed the USB thumb drive into my PS3 (in the rightmost, or "top" USB port if vertical) and updated the firmware the same way Sony tells you to update from a USB stick:

16) After the update was completed, I downloaded something called QA_Toggle here: http://store.brewology.com/get/homebrew.php?id=276&fid=1654

17) When the update was complete, I plugged my USB thumb drive back into my laptop and placed the QA_Toggle pkg file in the root of my USB thumb drive/stick.

18) I put the USB thumb drive back in the PS3 in the rightmost/top (if you are standing it vertically) USB port and in the PS3 main menu (also known as the XMB for Xross Media Bar) I went to the Games menu and then I went into the newly-available "install package file" menu.

19) I clicked on the QA_Toggle pkg. After it installed, I clicked on the TOGGLE QA FLAG program that now shows up in my game menu. The screen goes black for a few seconds, and then brings you back to the main menu of the PS3. That is what is supposed to happen.

20) I restarted the PS3 and then shut it down.

21) I took the USB thumb drive out of my PS3 and put it back into my laptop. I downloaded this CFW (custom firmware): http://playstationscenefiles.com/rebug/REBUG_4.81.2_REX_91c2d41c0629445839f5addd6a52f869_PS3UPDAT.PUP
This is REBUG 4.81.2 REX EDITION. You don't want the DEX edition because that's for developer consoles.

22) I placed the REBUG 4.81.2 REX EDITION in the PS3/UPDATE folder of my USB drive and renamed it PS3UPDAT.PUP.

23) I took the USB thumb drive out of my laptop and put it in the rightmost (or upper USB port if you have your system vertical) USB port.

I updated it the same way Sony tells you to update their firmware over USB:

And that's it! Get a PKG called MultiMan and webMAN and you will be playing whatever the hell you want. Luckily cyber monday is coming up so you can get a nice 1TB internal laptop drive for your PS1 and PS2 games and a 2TB (or more) USB external drive for your PS3 games for deep discounts.

I hope this helped you all, and I hope it made up for my terrible OP!

Also I know I.N.R.I wanted to play PS2 games on his slim so here is a guide to make that possible once the PS3 is hacked: https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/tutorial-how-to-play-ps2-games-on-all-ps3-slim-models.1159103/

I hope these instructions were easier than reading that hacking site! Enjoy!

youre epic, thank you so much :-]

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

how do you know what model your ps3 is? i got one for free last month

if its the kind with the kind of corrugated plastic looking top and the disc tray that just slides open then its a super slim which apparently cant be done just yet, the slim has a kind of matte surface and the old style fat ps3 is a huge glossy thing. if its a regular slim then you need to look at the label but if its a fat one then they all work

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the ps4 has just been hacked no matter what version of firmware 4.05 you're on

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Spoderman posted:

Heads up: now all PS3s, including Super Slims, have been hacked, no matter what firmware you are on

thank you very much for the heads up .. i think ill do it then. sony arent updating it anymore right ?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

emoji posted:

Super Slim success

u can emulate ps2 games on a super slim? or did you just install a psn game.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
just looked it up .. you can do ps1, 2, and psp games. but ps2 games are hard cos theres a 4gb file limit, i guess you need to download them through the ps3 browser or something. either way ill wait for a bunch of ppl to brick their consoles and learn from their mistakes

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

check this out. the thing you have that runs your web browser can also run ps2 games thru the magic of technology

maybe yours can .. i only have a laptop though. and its poo poo

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

The PS Vita has just been hacked no matter what firmware you're on!

https://mobile.twitter.com/theflow0/status/1013361738950107136?s=19

thats more like it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
my guess its that its future proof and will let you update your vita and use it online and stuff without ever having to update the hack, like the 3ds one. basically, once youve installed it, youll always be able to use it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Yeah I'm on 11.7 and wanna go on 11.8 but it's not letting me, any help? tia

dunno. worked fine for me .. try downloading it manually and installing with FBI. though the luma installer worked ok for me. its probably nothing to do with a nintendo ban

edit: oh you mean system update. dunno .. maybe you were banned. either way you could probably manually install the update

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i realise im outing myself as a hacked 3ds haver, but i already bought all the 3ds games i wanted to play and only persona q2 is coming out, which i will buy anyway cos i sell games when im done with them .. so like .. id like to think of myself as like ... a virtuous software pirate..

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
heres my logic .. buy a new copy of the game, play it, sell it, download the game illegally. everyone wins especially me

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I don't think there's a way to manually download the update but thank you anyway.

Put snes 9x on it asap. Especially if you are using an n3ds. I can't express how great it looks and plays

i did that :-] i agree with you about how good the games look. and there will be sooner or later even if there isnt yet .. there is a site that deals with that stuff though i cant rmember its full URL cos i've never needed it. i'll try to remember for you

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Plutonis posted:

The PSVita has just been hacked no matter what firmware you're on!

deets?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

it says homebrew but can you just burn a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

American McGay posted:

I think there was an unmodded way to load games off of an external HDD but it's still cool that you can do it straight vanilla now.

oh id probably prefer doing this. ill google that