Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most interesting conference championship game
This poll is closed.
American Athletic 15 10.07%
Atlantic Coast 29 19.46%
Big 12 14 9.40%
Big Ten 38 25.50%
Conference USA 5 3.36%
Mid-American 4 2.68%
Mountain West 1 0.67%
Pacific-12 2 1.34%
Southeastern 41 27.52%
Total: 149 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

It's a "pylon"

I’m also pretty sure the vast majority of games don’t have one. It’s just the main ESPN/ABC games isn’t it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Noctone posted:

Uhh, because of...?

There were a couple uncalled holds so it’s a conspiracy paaawl, roll tide

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That was probably interference but if it hadn’t been i don’t think it should matter that the flag was already thrown. I would say in the vast majority of cases I’ve seen where the refs conference and decide to pick a flag up picking it up was actually the right decision.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa dropped 50 on Nebraska for the second consecutive year and got a very nice old man fired, the weekend was good. Super annoying to watch at times this year, but they wound up about where I expected record wise despite the line getting destroyed with injuries and the schedule being even tougher than expected (4th hardest by Sagrin). Oh and we loving smoked Ohio State which owned. Next year looks like it could be pretty good if they can figure out linebacker, which they usually do. Go win some lovely bowl game finally, please.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RumbleFish posted:

Word on the street is that Bentley sucks this year because he got a girlfriend. Yes, really.

Blaming anything that goes wrong on evil girls is a classic Dumb Message Board Thing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean you were also like an inch from being 9-3 so

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Speaking of Jackson, he’s quietly almost identical statistically to last season with an even worse supporting cast and won’t sniff New York. I think Mayfield should and will win anyway so whatever I guess, but it’s crazy how ignored Jackson’s been this year just because their defense fell apart. He’s had an all time great 2 year run individually.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MyStereoHasMono posted:

So would Oklahoma fans say the success is because Stoops is out? Would they be in the same position with him there?

I will go out on a limb and say they probably could have won 11 games and the Big Twelve with the coach with who did that basically every loving year for almost 2 decades.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
you finished in the top 5 the last two years and have played in 4 championship or playoff games in recent memory come on

i can’t believe I have to regularly defend a coach who won like 80% of his games

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 26, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

an inexplicable home loss to Iowa State is very Stoops like

He never lost to Iowa State!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wa27 posted:

Does anyone know if Tre Bryant was granted a medical redshirt at Nebraska? Last I heard they were trying for one last month.

You probably won’t find out for a few more months, they take for loving ever, it’s awful.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

D.N. Nation posted:

Fun fact, the SEC created that no-storming-field/court rule after some punk UGA student cold-clocked this guy in 2004:

Not a compelling argument against court storming imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

OH MY GOD

Reported on Auburn's Rivals site podcast, "confirmed by multiple people", at the postgame handshake of Auburn-Georgia
Gus: I'll see you in three weeks
Kirby: I'm gonna tell Nick you said that
Gus: You do that

This rules

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah every time I watched Texas I was confused why so many of their fans talked about Warren like he was Cedric Benson

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I think the Texas Bowl seems most likely? So you'd at least have good BBQ to look forward to, just different good BBQ.

I’ve seen Texas bowl against Mizzou a few places. The telephone trophy lives!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
See actually there are not enough bowl games

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Even adjusting for schedule it’s pretty safe to say Wisconsin has one of the best defenses in the country

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Bama beat ranked FSU (granted, a mess of an FSU team as it turned out), ranked LSU and ranked Miss. State. Wisconsin beat ranked Iowa and a trash Michigan offense.

FSU loving sucks, come on.

Like I’m not gonna pretend Iowa is an offensive juggernaut but holding anyone to 66 goddamn yards is unreal. And it was the week after we torched OSU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wisconsin played 2 halfway decent teams and Hornibrook sucked major rear end vs both of them

OSU will roll 59-0

He doesn’t need to do that much and OSU’s linebackers are trash in coverage which isn’t great against a team with a really good tight end. Also OSU is not going to be able to move the ball on them at all.

186 posted:

And this is exactly why Wisconsin will be left out when (:smug:) they beat OSU. Then it'll just be "Eh, OSU is trash. They haven't really played anyone."

If Wisconsin beat them, then obviously they weren't that good.

They’re getting in if they win, please stop the dumb conspiracy poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Seaniqua posted:

Why do you add oil then fry bacon? I'm not asking facetiously, I've seen this in a couple recipes and I don't understand it. So much fat renders off of bacon I don't understand why you'd add oil first.

S-E-C, S-E-C, S-E-C

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

They should trade Michigan State to the West in exchange for maybe Purdue because dang Big Ten West. You are Wisconsin or Iowa for the rest of time.

I think you will find we also have Traditional Power Nebraska

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

I mean the ACC has 2 Butkus finalists and one of them is on the 2nd team (Dorian O'Daniel from Clemson).

This reminds me that Josey Jewell not being a Butkus finalist is very dumb and annoying

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

downout posted:

I'm fairly surprised OSU is a 6.5 point favorite over Wisc. It was clear in the UM game that OSU was having offensive trouble until Okorn melted down and Haskins came in. Barrett is starting against Wisc, and OSUs offense hasn't fared well against strongish defenses. OSU has mostly wrecked lesser opponents but clearly doesn't always do the same to stronger teams such as PSU, UM, and OU (exception MSU and Iowa).

Edit: something else that seems to happen is OSUs more elite players start winning in the 3rd and 4th as teams start to tire. Which only works when the game is reasonably even, see iowa.

Iowa and MSU both have good defenses. Iowa scoring at will on OSU remains a complete mystery. I can give you reasons they looked way better against an on paper really good OSU defense than they did against other good defenses they faced, but it doesn’t totally explain the degree of difference

I agree that OSU is going to have trouble consistently moving the ball. And I don’t think it’s out of the question that Wisconsin can score enough on OSU. They have have an unreal front 4 but the linebackers aren’t anything special and could be a weakness against a really good running game and tight end. I don’t really get OSU as a comfortable favorite

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 29, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zimbomonkey posted:

There are two undefeated teams in the country. One of them is, according to the CFP, 14th best in the country.

gently caress this.

I won’t say UCF should be in the playoff but in a year without any really great teams having them 14 is pretty dumb. There are teams ahead of them who don’t have significantly more quality wins (sup Bama)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

Again, Wisconsin hasn’t faced an offense in the same realm as Ohio State this year. Not saying that Ohio State won’t absolutely poo poo all over themselves while Barrett is QB, but Wisconsin’s defense has not been tested all year.

They haven’t faced any great offenses (except FAU lol) but you can still look at what teams do on average and compare it what they did against Wisconsin and it tends to be a pretty massive difference. Again, Iowa got 66 yards in the entire game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wisconsin is the Mega Evolution of 2015 Iowa

Iowa had a better resume at this point but yeah Wisconsin this year is way better. Quality wise I think they’re probably more like 09 Iowa, but with a worse schedule and without the QB injury at the end of the year.

I’m sure there have been better Wisconsin teams fairly recently but they’re really good defensively and caught a schedule break and a season without any particularly great teams so good for them.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 29, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The human part of the BCS sucked because pollsters are idiots

The computer part sucked because the formulas were (mostly) closed-source and no one could check to see if they made any sense

They intentionally neutered even the good ones like Sagarin by not letting them include MOV at all which was really dumb.

And some were just abject loving nonsense. The Billingsley especially is like the dumbest attempt at a supposedly objective analysis that I’ve ever seen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Billingsley was so loving bad. He explicitly eschewed statistics, was proud that he barely knew algebra and did stuff like "seed this years polls with the results of last years" with zero adjustments. He was proud that his poll tracked the human polls, which is really stupid--you aren't aiming to just copy the polls!

EDIT: oh my god Billingsley calculated SOS based on rankings in his system :psypop:

The MGoBlog Billingsley takedown is one of my favorite things on the Internet: http://www.mgoblog.com/content/putting-b-and-s-bcs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

If you break down the big10 rivals to their 'most rival' it should be:

wisconsin minnesota wisconsin leads 60-59-8
ohio state michigan michigan leads 58-49-6
illinois northwestern Illinois leads, 55–51–5
indiana purdue Purdue leads, 73–41–6
iowa...nebraska? Nebraska leads, 29–16–3
michigan state...penn state? Michigan State leads, 16–15–1
maryland rutgers Maryland leads, 7–6

sorry MSU you're just forgotten about

Iowa’s biggest rival now is probably ISU even though lots of annoying Iowa fans pretend it’s not a big deal for some reason. But in conference it’s Minnesota, even though Minnesota has a longer running one with Wisconsin (though I would point out that Minnesota fans do not chat “who hates wisconsin?” at random unrelated games). I think Nebraska is probably the fourth biggest of their trophy games, though it can move up with more time. Nebraska is still really new. Iowa used to end the season with Minnesota or Wisconsin.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 29, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This guy with literally every notable school record is actually very bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Manoueverable posted:

I mean, Jake Browning will hold a ton of QB records when he leaves Washington but he's played absolutely awful when facing anything resembling a good defense over the last 2 years so I can understand the sentiment.

Browning is also good! Most players are worse against good defenses, making opposing players play worse is the thing that makes those defenses good,

Barrett isn’t like an amazing passer but he’s good for what they need from him in that offense and is awesome at running a zone read. They’ve also been mostly unable to develop consistent receivers outside his freshman year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yates posted:

I think Joel Stave holds a bunch of Wisconsin records. He was...not that good.

I don’t think that’s true? Also, outside of the Russell Wilson Year and one of the Tolzien seasons they haven’t really had any amazing QBs, mostly just pretty good ones.

e: the really good Tolzien season overlaps with the really good Stanzi season which makes me strongly suspect that big ten defenses really sucked in 2010

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 29, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He was really good in the 2016 OU game that’s a weird one to include

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Cardale was really bad in one of the three games he played and then worse than Barrett the next year. They won the title because Zeke went off. Barrett also threw the ball really well for most of the season. Like I know Cardale threw one nice deep ball but they didn’t beat Bama because of him completing 50% of his passes with an INT and a 113 rating

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 29, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They do probably call too many QB draws, but a lot of the games where people get mad they’re calling lots of zone reads like they always do and the defense just keys hard on the RB and forces a keep read. Iowa this year definitely crashed super hard and schemed so they’d give the ball to Dobbins as little as possible on the read options, even at the expense of giving up good gains to Barrett.

He’s a really underrated runner though. He’s so good at making the right decision on option plays and great at reading blocks and finding space to run. He’s generally just a really smart player.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 29, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yates posted:

You're right, Stave is only 2nd in all the major stats behind the legendary Darrell Bevell.

Bevell was the best passer in the conference in 1993, he was good. Also as mentioned it’s not really the same thing as OSU.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He hit two nice ones against Iowa, albeit to comically wide open guys.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Go anywhere in Missouri that isn’t St Louis or KC and it’s not weird at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hugh Freeze is going to Tennessee y’all

• Locked thread