Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hello yospos,

i thought this would be a good place to ask about computer and eye strain. my job involves a lot of reading from a computer screen. at the end of the day, my eyes feel like they're on fire. I have glasses for distance vision but my close-up is still sharp. i don't really get headaches - my eyes just ache, get red, and generally feel like poo poo. what do you do to help the ol' eyeballs?

tag related because i stare at a windows at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I got 'em

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

have you tried Gunnar gaming(r) glasses, op?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmao those are apparently real

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

actually wearing his recent court sentancing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

bonzibudd dwyer over there ready to offend viewers with that dusty mustache

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poor trigger discipline and no clip, the kind of hot tempered impotence brought to you by gunnar

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

get a real job interacting with other humans

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

bonzibudd dwyer over there ready to offend viewers with that dusty mustache

his name is barnacles nerdgasm

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Agile Vector posted:

bonzibudd dwyer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

poor trigger discipline and no clip, the kind of hot tempered impotence brought to you by gunnar

magazine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anyway op i haven't seen you before but i like your name. good work

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
stop looking at black text on a white background, op. also bump up your font sizes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hello yospos,

i thought this would be a good place to ask about computer and eye strain. my job involves a lot of reading from a computer screen. at the end of the day, my eyes feel like they're on fire. I have glasses for distance vision but my close-up is still sharp. i don't really get headaches - my eyes just ache, get red, and generally feel like poo poo. what do you do to help the ol' eyeballs?

do you have a high DPI screen

you should use a high DPI screen, with an operating system and software that supports high DPI

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Management posted:

stop looking at black text on a white background, op. also bump up your font sizes

actually, stop looking at white text on a black background, black on white is easier to read even if your ultra dark UI looks “cool”

and also bump up your font sizes and use a 200dpi or higher density display

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

eschaton posted:

actually, stop looking at white text on a black background, black on white is easier to read even if your ultra dark UI looks “cool”

dont see how this could possibly be true, but your supposed to do green on black anyway

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

George posted:

dont see how this could possibly be true, but your supposed to do green on black anyway

quote:

However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.

Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis

greenpos may be the one true pos but that’s not for legibility reasons

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hello yospos,

here's what my eye doctor told me about this when i asked a while ago:

- take the glasses off when you're reading on the computer

- every hour or so relax your eyes and let them look into the distance, at least 20 feet away, for 30 seconds to a minute

here's my personal Hot Tips(tm) that i think work but I have no evidence for:

- make your monitor's color temperature a bit warmer

- use a font that's specifically designed for clear and easy character discernment, if you're a programmer I recommend Source Code Pro, idk about non-monospaced ones

- use darker themes for your programs so you don't have bright white backgrounds burning your retinas

hope this helps

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

eschaton posted:

got any data on eyestrain specifically, because i've known the 'easier to read' thing but i still feel a difference between staring at bright white backgrounds vs. dark backgrounds all day. i admit this could be placebo but it seems to me like at least some eye discomfort might not be directly related to "readability"

incidentally the dark background readability thing can be compensated for somewhat by making the character spacing wider, though not completely negated. dark backgrounds tend to automatically make everything feel more cramped so you have to work around that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

the best-ever bi geek squid out of yospos

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

He's not even looking through them!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Doom Mathematic posted:

He's not even looking through them!

his eyes are pieces of poo poo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hes obviously too fat to have made it into the room without noclip

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
been thinking about getting glasses again

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

hes obviously too fat to have made it into the room without noclip

NICE!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

been thinking about getting glasses again

"my vision got worse. But then it got better." - a thing that has never happened

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xeyes is a dumb program

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
If the room humidity is too low, you can get painful eyes. Also dry skin and chapped lips.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

:tipshat:

thanks all these are all really good suggestions. currently browsing with yuge scaled text. feel old but good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

a white screen is having the full strength of the backlight projecting into your eyeballs. it is literally staring into an LED for 8 hours a day.

a cool theme uses dark backgrounds and a light, but not white, text. for example solarized dark is light blue on dark blue. also try to mix up the background colors of your windows. I like the Mac Terminal red sands profile as a contrast to the blue solarized.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i set my monitors to only use greyscale a while back. I don't think it actually did anything

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The Management posted:

a white screen is having the full strength of the backlight projecting into your eyeballs. it is literally staring into an LED for 8 hours a day.

a cool theme uses dark backgrounds and a light, but not white, text. for example solarized dark is light blue on dark blue. also try to mix up the background colors of your windows. I like the Mac Terminal red sands profile as a contrast to the blue solarized.

don't have the brightness so high it is painful

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
give up computers

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
replace them with robot cameras

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
im sure that the room lighting is a big factor too and so is general legibility but reading negative space in a bright light wears me down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

"my vision got worse. But then it got better." - a thing that has never happened

Counterpoint: my vision was fine as a kid. Then around middle school it got bad and I had to get glasses. Recently, though, my prescription got weaker bc the eye doctor says my eyes are aging and not overcompensating so hard

Qed bicth

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
when is my e-ink ipad coming out tim

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The most pro tip I ever got for this: put a lamp in your field of view. Your monitors can change between dark and bright really quickly and your eyes have to adjust, which causes fatigue. A backlight will prevent this, and in my experience solved all my issues.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i've been using an eink monitor for a couple months and alright. i try to use it whenever i don't actually need to be using a big monitor

like, i just pack it from work to home in my laptop bag and i use it to answer emails or if i just need to read some me text or like watch a video where color doesn't matter, and it's good to use in a dimly lit room

so maybe get one if those to try out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i get up and go for a short walk periodically, op

• Locked thread