Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
OK, I need to discuss the following, how close is Afrikaans to Dutch. Afrikaners are always called "Dutchmen", but I'm not sure the Dutch even recognizes Afrikaans as a loving language.

I was once very formally told that Afrikaans should NOT, and NEVER, be labled Dutch, or experience the benefits of being Dutch, be classified by law.

The differences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a1HBnGbNic

I will need some input from my Dutch friends here.

I need answers, there is nowhere where this contest can be contested better but by a bunch of goons.

I appreciate your input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Oddly enough I work with a Dutch guy and a self-proclaimed Boer from Johannesburg.

They both say that it is indistinguishable from Dutch except in the pronunciations and a few grammatical glitches. They compared it to Spanish-Spanish vs Mexican Spanish essentially. Also they said it was similar to Scots - sort of a different language but not really.

The Dutch guy gives a pretty specific answer: it's like the difference between Flemish and Dutch - noticeable but still mutually comprehensible, if hard to understand.

Both of them, however agree: Afrikaans is Dutch, but spoken by a man with a .25 BAC.

Anyway thats my 3rd party input, thanks for listening.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

du -hast posted:

Oddly enough I work with a Dutch guy and a self-proclaimed Boer from Johannesburg.

They both say that it is indistinguishable from Dutch except in the pronunciations and a few grammatical glitches. They compared it to Spanish-Spanish vs Mexican Spanish essentially. Also they said it was similar to Scots - sort of a different language but not really.

The Dutch guy gives a pretty specific answer: it's like the difference between Flemish and Dutch - noticeable but still mutually comprehensible, if hard to understand.

Both of them, however agree: Afrikaans is Dutch, but spoken by a man with a .25 BAC.

Anyway thats my 3rd party input, thanks for listening.

I recently started that family tree research bullshit, and traced both my moms and dads side to the Dutch, 1600. I was told then on Reddit I was definitely NOT loving dutch, because it was too long ago. This doesn't make sense, I'm in Africa, I'm not closely related to the majority of folks here, for very seriously obvious reasons. How do we deal with this poo poo? How?!

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
On twitter etc as well, you start talking Afrikaans in Dutch threads, and people just ... leave.. I understand it's all political threads, but drat, hello can you not understand me? We have no political platform, so naturally we're looking at the Dutch. I don't think they want this...thing... to emerge in Dutch culture.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I have no idea what is going on in this thread.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

du -hast posted:

I have no idea what is going on in this thread.

It's pretty secluded but there are gently caress all platforms out there, I think.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

bluegoon posted:

It's pretty secluded but there are gently caress all platforms out there, I think.

Id actually appreciate more centrist/left Dutch input into all of this, it seems the only way to talk to Dutch when it comes to Afrikaans is through loving right as hell wing sources, I'm over that, I'd like to talk to normal dutch folks.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Can't imagine why the Dutch don't want to be associated with Afrikaners.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

forkboy84 posted:

Can't imagine why the Dutch don't want to be associated with Afrikaners.

I just want to know, is this a thing now? This is a norm in the Netherlands? Ever since *then*?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Afrikaans is about as understandable to Dutch people as Jamaican Patois is to English speakers. You can get used to the accent if you hear it a lot, but then there is still a significant difference in vocabulary and lots of random words that are meaningless to you, so it’s pretty difficult to be totally mutually comprehensible.

Why are you posting this in D&D? There is a Dutch/Afrikaans thread.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

twoday posted:

Afrikaans is about as understandable to Dutch people as Jamaican Patois is to English speakers. You can get used to the accent if you hear it a lot, but then there is still a significant difference in vocabulary and lots of random words that are meaningless to you, so it’s pretty difficult to be totally mutually comprehensible.

Why are you posting this in D&D? There is a Dutch/Afrikaans thread.

Can you please link it? I don't have the search function, would appreciate it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

OP what medication have you been prescribed and why have you stopped taking it?

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Corrode posted:

OP what medication have you been prescribed and why have you stopped taking it?

Nee, swaer, wou net weet of daar n platform was waar die Afrikaans mense en Hollandse mense met mekaar kon skakel sonder ver regste idioligie in die pad te steek. Wou net n normale gesprek he, daar blyk geen so platform nie.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I understand what you're saying but its really, really wierd.

bluegoon posted:

Nee, swaer, wou net weet of daar n platform was waar die Afrikaans mense en Hollandse mense met mekaar kon skakel sonder ver regste idioligie in die pad te steek. Wou net n normale gesprek he, daar blyk geen so platform nie.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Nee, ???, ik wilde alleen weten of er een platform was, waar de Afrikaanse mensen en Hollandse mensen met elkaar konden ???, zonder dat extreem rechtse ideologie in de weg zit. Ik wilde een normaal gesprek hebben, daar blijkt geen platform voor te zijn.

Also, yes, many dutch people feel uncomfortable talking about our former colonies.
The way the VOC treated the colony in south africa was horrible. The Boers where then left to die versus the english and natives.

The Apartheid, and racism in general, in South Africa are an affront to The Netherlands and the world in general, and the Dutch govenment did way to little to stop it.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 26, 2017

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

bluegoon posted:

Id actually appreciate more centrist/left Dutch input into all of this, it seems the only way to talk to Dutch when it comes to Afrikaans is through loving right as hell wing sources, I'm over that, I'd like to talk to normal dutch folks.

Go here for the Dutch-Afrikaans thread, which is pretty leftwing and where I think you'll be totally welcome, though it doesn't always get much traffic.

I don't have an opinion on the Dutch-Afrikaans language difference; to me they were exactly the same language until Afrikaans started diverging slightly somewhere about 1652, but they are like 95% mutually comprehensible and that's what matters. I would say that there has been a loss of interest in South Africa in the Netherlands since the end of Apartheid. Back then there was an active anti-apartheid movement and you had Pieter-Dirk Uys touring around, but these days people don't pay much attention anymore except for brief flareups such as when a well-received book was published on the Boer War, and of course around the World Cup in 2010.
The extreme right though is interested in South Africa. Some rightwing politicians(in particular the party ideologue of the populist xenophobic right wing Freedom Party PVV Martin Bosma, and also the faux-intellectual populist farrighters of the Forum for Democracy) are portraying the phenomenon of 'plaasmoorde' as a sort of ethnic cleansing of white people in South Africa and suggested they would be willing to accept white Afrikaners as refugees here, while obviously excluding refugees with any other skin colourr.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
On topic? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk Spitting Image - I've Never Met A Nice South African

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The extreme right though is interested in South Africa. Some rightwing politicians(in particular the party ideologue of the populist xenophobic right wing Freedom Party PVV Martin Bosma, and also the faux-intellectual populist farrighters of the Forum for Democracy) are portraying the phenomenon of 'plaasmoorde' as a sort of ethnic cleansing of white people in South Africa and suggested they would be willing to accept white Afrikaners as refugees here, while obviously excluding refugees with any other skin colourr.

They also write books about how South Africa shows us what happens if we afford "those people" too many rights and become a minority in our own country as a result (which is like, totally exactly what happened in South Africa you guys) and how Apartheid really wasn't so bad.

In conclusion, gently caress Martin Bosma forever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I went to South Africa once. The white guys there were talking about how when they're in France, they talk in Afrikaans instead of English because they get better service when people think they're Dutch. Also all the maids and groundskeepers were black and the white guys still complained about how unfair the end of apartheid was and how white people can't get good jobs any more. One of the white guys is a really good cook though and his bunny chow is fuckin' tasty.

Anyways, that's my story thanks for listening.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I met an dutchish white guy from South Africa, and it turned out he was a nazi.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
In conclusion, Afrikaans is def Dutch.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

hi i've been dispatched from the royal dutch society

ive been authorized to declare afrikaans to be dutch adjacent, it will be given a spot in the dutch adjacent language hall of fame in amsterdam

please accept this post as a token of authenticity

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

yeah sure why not

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

bluegoon posted:

I recently started that family tree research bullshit, and traced both my moms and dads side to the Dutch, 1600. I was told then on Reddit I was definitely NOT loving dutch, because it was too long ago. This doesn't make sense, I'm in Africa, I'm not closely related to the majority of folks here, for very seriously obvious reasons. How do we deal with this poo poo? How?!

Err

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

du -hast posted:

which, itself, is drunk german

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Former DILF posted:

hi i've been dispatched from the royal dutch society

ive been authorized to declare afrikaans to be dutch adjacent, it will be given a spot in the dutch adjacent language hall of fame in amsterdam

please accept this post as a token of authenticity

Does the dutch-adjacent property include access to the community swimming pool?

oh... unfortunate choice of words...

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

suck my woke dick posted:

which, itself, is drunk german
When you're drunk enough everyone speaks the same language.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

When you're drunk enough everyone speaks the same language.

Even Finns?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Especially the Finns.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

madeintaipei posted:

Especially the Finns.
All languages converge on Finnish as BAC goes up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is flemish dutch?

My flemish friend says yes but the fact that I can kinda sorta understand dutch people and not belgishers says no

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Yes it is. It's not that much more different than regional dialects within the Netherlands. I had a rural Dutch welder explain to my suburban Dutch engineer rear end my design was poo poo. I could not understand a word he was saying. While I can follow Flemish news broadcasts without issue.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Are Die Antwoord and Charlize Theron Dutch?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dutch is actually afrikaans

Also, my flemish friend told me that the afrikaans word for "cat" translates to some poo poo like "roof rabbit", if this is true, keep it up afrikaans. Perfect description.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, my flemish friend told me that the afrikaans word for "cat" translates to some poo poo like "roof rabbit", if this is true, keep it up afrikaans. Perfect description.

https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakhaas

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pletterpet is the greatest word for hardhat ever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

It's important to point out that, unless Google Translate is misleading me, the name comes from how cats taste. :gonk:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

^^^^ That's correct.

And no op, Afrikaans is not Dutch. Afrikaans is a practical, modern language that makes sense, Dutch is a lovely centuries-old dress that's all lace and ruffles and hoops and petticoats and archaic spelling and conjugations and noun gender and irregular verbs.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 19, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Mutual unintelligibility is not a condition for being a language. Scots is not English. Swedish is not Danish. Afrikaans is not Dutch. Spanish is not Portuguese.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's important to point out that, unless Google Translate is misleading me, the name comes from how cats taste. :gonk:

A fellow student once asked me in class within earshot of the professor whether I agreed that she (the prof) was hot. Later he proceeded to show us pictures of his sister while telling us how hot she is.

I was shocked so told this story to another student, who is from Eindhoven. Her only comment was "well, he's from Helmond, that's just how they are there".

So if wikipedia tells me they eat cat in Helmond, I don't even raise an eyebrow anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Orange Devil posted:

A fellow student once asked me in class within earshot of the professor whether I agreed that she (the prof) was hot. Later he proceeded to show us pictures of his sister while telling us how hot she is.

I was shocked so told this story to another student, who is from Eindhoven. Her only comment was "well, he's from Helmond, that's just how they are there".

So if wikipedia tells me they eat cat in Helmond, I don't even raise an eyebrow anymore.

A reminder that Helmond translates to Hellmouth. We could have filmed Buffy here. :)

• Locked thread