Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It'th the Wirtht Thread after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

pik_d posted:

Are you ok

Clearly not, I forgot the apostrophe and had to go back and edit

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Falken posted:

I love Formula I

One love it too, op

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Maybe it's a Roman numeral, ever thought of that?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Pierogi posted:

Posting on the 2nd page in anticipetion of Williams driver number 2, Bob K.

The only way that Lance Stroll is a number one driver is that he's piss

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ferrari owns.

[citation needed]

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

Very disturbing to see such a huge number of anti-Strollites in this thread openly professing their irrational hatred for one of the great drivers of our generation.

I don't hate him, he's not worthy of my hate

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Pirate Radar posted:

Who won? I stopped watching the race halfway through.

Bottas got a Grand Slam

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

It's called a hat trick you American

How can 4 things be a hat trick? Pole, fastest lap, leading every lap and win. Also how is 'Grand Slam' American?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

Grand slam is a British term from Tennis isn’t it?

I think it's originally from Bridge?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

pik_d posted:

So... it wasn't a grand slam as Lewis led a few laps after Bottas pitted?

That'll teach me to trust commentators

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Grand Slam in F1 is specifically winning by leading a race from pole and getting fastest lap. Bottas didn't get it because Lewis led during pit stops

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

djssniper posted:

Why do you think that?

Otherwise it'd be a hat trick

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm looking forward to seeing halos with nutty aero twiddles. I'll miss T-wings and monkey seats RIP

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

pik_d posted:

A grand slam in rugby union was historically when one of five nations beat all the other (that would be four) nations. Now that Italy has joined the definition had to change to five, when it used to be four.

Four.

Apparently Grand Slam in Bridge (where the term apparently originates) means winning all thirteen tricks.

Thirteen.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Pirelli Hyper Slam

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Theophany posted:

Av on fleek

Or should I say, avant-garde :smuggo:

I won't deny it. Whoever thought it would shame me better be prepared for tedious graphs and charts

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

pik_d posted:

How did he even manage this with the Saubers and Haassssas around?

He kept loving up and scrubbing his tyres and had a million pit stops

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Let me be the first in this thread to say Kimi is poo poo and it's frankly a travesty that he still has a seat in 2018 let alone in a championship contending team

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

aequalis posted:

Haha wow what an idiot I am!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

gret posted:

If anybody wants to read a more in depth article about the design of the new logo:

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/formula-1-unveils-new-identity-wieden-kennedy-london/

e:

delete this crap

F1 Regular and F1 Torque typefaces are pretty cool and good. F1 Turbo is total garbage

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Some tasty ligatures in the typefaces too
:goonsay:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

HJB posted:

I'm not really sure what's going on in that picture but this is my favourite part of it

Massa/Grosjean at Williams as well

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That's a smorgasbord of examples, you'd never actually have that stuff all together

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yes there's nothing wrong with the old one, it is in fact very good. The new one is not amazing but it's perfectly fine, it's totally acceptable, extremely ok, mediocre at worst.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

I didn't say how well they'd contend for it, and they'd've been closer in the WCC this year with a non poo poo driver instead of Raikkonen

In a way I'm glad they're idiots who keep paying him huge amounts to be poo poo, but I'd far rather he'd gently caress off

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

Somebody point out to me what the hell Kimi brings to Ferrari at this point?

Ice cream! Hahahahahahahaha having a poo poo lol

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

DoctorGonzo posted:

I want my old av back

Only if the accompanying red text reads 'FERRARI ARE UTTER poo poo'

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Can one of you give me an example of a situation where the logo would be used where there wouldn't be enough context to figure out it's obviously an F and a 1? Also using a straight line to represent a 1 isn't confusing anyway unless you are an actual idiot

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Liberty are committing the crime of trying to actually market Formula 1

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

nsaP posted:

So is this the off season thread where we watch classic motogp races and talk about how awesome motogp is?

No, you're after a different thread for that. Maybe one with motogp in the title

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Liberty are actually being really sensible and saying things like 'you can't expect everything to change overnight because we bought into a sport that has a lot of catching up to do, but we're putting in the investment to make that happen'. Remember Bernie literally had no marketing department for a multi billion dollar business.

Having a coherent brand identity does actually matter when you're trying to sell something to sponsors and new fans, and some of the stuff they've done is actually quite clever if you ignore the marketingese and design document bollocks.

Having a simple big block of a logo lets it sit beside all the different corporate sponsors' logos without distracting from them while still making everything seem up to date and unified. The old logo is cool but it's definitely getting on a bit in a sport that sells itself on being cutting edge. The new one is kinda boring but that's actually by design.

They've deliberately gone for a primary typeface that looks distinctive and modern and works across devices.
The secondary fonts will be mainly for posters and signage and the like and are good contemporary takes on retro styles, though I'm not personally a fan of the aesthetic of F1 Turbo.

Yes I'm taking my new red text seriously

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The F1 website is garbage and I can't wait for it to change

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

DoctorGonzo posted:

So they are not motosport anymore but an entertainment company? Liberty is run by Vince Mcmahon and Malasya was a screwjob to keep the WDC and WCC from Scuderia Ferrari.

You say this like keeping the WDC and WCC from Ferrari is a bad thing

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

NtotheTC posted:

Or requires any external influence.

:discourse:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

This is objectively excellent. The peak of good logo design, and I'm not just saying that as a child of the 90s.

I'm also a fan of the Г:n Formula One logo

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Williams tying themselves in knots trying to find an excuse for Lance being extremely bad so daddy doesn't take his money away is p. funny

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Having a lovely driver funding the team is only worthwhile if you have another driver who has the skills to turn that money into success on the track. This could all work out if Kubica still has those skills, but if he's just another post-accident shadow of his former self like Massa they've got to be really careful about their future plans

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Thiago Montiero only took 9 races to get a podium. Science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

track day bro! posted:

Thats a great logo.

For a clowncar to wear

• Locked thread