Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Wirth1000 posted:

Welcome to the off-season thread for Formula I. The regular season thread is bad enough... how low can we go?

Competitive state after 2017

• Lewis Hamilton is the reigning Driver God-Emperor of The Greatest Racing Series Of All-Time as we go into 2018.
  • Hulkenberg still unfulfilled in terms of his potential. Time is the fire in which we burn and he will be jumping out of the flames any year now to claim his own Champion Title.
  • Stroll poo poo, so what
  • Mercedes ends the season with another crushing victory over Ferrari
  • Bottas rules, thread drools

Teams of 2018
As of the end of the 2017 season

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport | 2017 World Constructors' Champion
Drivers: Lewis Hamilton (44), Valtteri Bottas (77)
(Both returning for 2018)

Mercedes have done it again with their 4th constructors' championship in a row. Just non-stop churning out dominating car after dominating car. Can they do it again in the 2018 Formula I season??? We await with abated breath to see if the gently caress ups in Maranello can actually take the fight to them.

Scuderia Ferrari
Drivers: Sebastian Vettel (5), Kimi Raikkonen (7)

Perpetual gently caress-ups. Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Musical chairs of management and technical staff. Heavily politicized internal structure. Endlessly endearing. Most popular team with the largest worldwide passionate fans. Everyone knows what a Ferrari is.

Red Bull Racing
Drivers: Daniel Ricciardo (3), Max Verstappen (33)

Sahara Force India FI Team
Drivers: Sergio Perez (11), Esteban Ocon (31)

Looking to rebrand from their Indian identity as they admit it heavily restricts their ability to attain sponsorship for some reason probably cause of racism or that nobody in India actually gives a gently caress.

Williams Martini Racing
Drivers: Felipe Massa (19), Lance Stroll (18)
(Massa retiring, Stroll remains for 2018)

The team that all other teams look to as a role model. The gold standard. Legends of motorsport and Formula I. New to FI? This is the team to root for, cry for, scream for and experience ecstasy.

Renault Sport FI Team
Drivers: Nico Hulkenberg (27), Carlos Sainz Jr. (55)

Renault is back. Process of rebuilding the team, expanding the factory and hiring a fuckload of staff to make them once more a competitive force in FI.

Scuderia Toro Rosso
Drivers: Pierre Gasly (10), Brendon Hartley (28)
(Drivers retained)

This team exists so Red Bull can have an extra vote.

Haas FI Team
Drivers: Romain Grosjean (8), Kevin Magnussen (20)
(Drivers retained)

They seem stable and have established themselves. Some sponsors might be nice to have for next season. Gene Haas might just say gently caress it and ditch, who knows?

McLaren Honda
Drivers: Fernando Alonso (14), Stoffel Vandoorne (2)
(Drivers retained)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814128&userid=118938

Sauber FI Team
Drivers: Marcus Ericsson (9), Pascal Wehrlein (94)
(Ericsson yet to be confirmed, Wehrlein gone)

Meet Ferrari's newest beau after ditching Haas. Also, an ancient poo poo team which peaked when BMW bought them then lingered on after BMW hosed off. 2018 a new era of Sauber?!

Drivers of 2018

Not everyone has been confirmed so who cares.

Discord, IRC, Misc.

We're on a fairly active Discord so come on in.

Discord: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu

There is also an IRChannel but come on... let go already.

IRC: irc://irc.synirc.net/F1

Previous Threads

2016-17 Off-season | 2016 season | 2015-16 Off-season | 2015 Part 1|2015 Part 2 | 2014-15 Off-season | 2014 season | 2013-14 Off-season | 2013 season | 2012-13 Off season | 2012 season
2011-12 Off-season | 2011 Part 1|2011 Breakaway (stop talking about phones!)|2011 Part 2 | 2010-2011 Off Season | 2010 Part 1|2010 Part 2 | 2009-2010 Off season
2009 News and Views|2009 Part 1|2009 Breakaway Thread|2009 Part 2 | 2008-2009 Off season | 2008 Part 1|2008 Part 2|2008 Part 3 | 2007-2008 Off season
2007 Part 1|2007 Part 2|2007 Part 3 | 2006 Part 1|2006 Part 2|2006 Part 3|2006 Part 4|2006 Part 5 | 2005 Whole Season | 2005 Part WTF | 2004 Whole Season

i didnt read this poo poo F1 is dead because the logo is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Wirth1000 posted:

Somebody point out to me what the hell Kimi brings to Ferrari at this point?

Epic youtube BWOAH remixes.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Human Grand Prix posted:

The logo is fine. It looks like “F1” to me and is pretty straightforward. F1s logos have always been mediocre at best - perhaps they should have emulated the Americans sooner because the NASCAR logo (to use an example) kicks rear end.

Actually the logo is bad and this means F1 is dead because the logo is the worst logo ever.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Actually it's bad and it's the sole reason why F1 is now dead RIP.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm fatter and smellier than that kid. Does this mean I have what it takes to be an F1 E-Sports™️ Champion?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I only like a Junior Spesh from SFC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6pbZLiLt30

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DoctorGonzo posted:

Replace the current f1 logo with this:

Everything will be better.

Thats a great logo.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Vettelreich? More like VETTEL'S SHITE!

Delete this crap.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DoctorGonzo posted:

what does he means by this?

awaiting track day bro season review

I will do this, at some point.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DoctorGonzo posted:

Its a shame that a fair and hard working team like Scuderia Ferrari was cheated by the english and the germans of Mercedes. Disgraceful.

They definitely get a 10 outta 10 from me op. #forzaferrari

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Massa confirmed as a McLaren driver for 2018, bye bye Alonso :byewhore:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Everyone likes *in Seinfeld Voice* The Stroll

Nobody likes the balding pole with skeleton arm action

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/es_Motorsport/status/935809848977043456

Phwooooar, looks like we'll have another good Honest Italian team in F1 again lads, F1 is saved. Apart from the F1 logo which is bad and means F1 is dead.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

The Unfetered One posted:

gently caress this thread title.

Im in a cafe waiting for my breakfast and i hit my bookmarks as the waitress comes and stands over me to be greeted with MY POOOPY DIAPERS at the top of my screen.

Good, haha.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

Nice, now to get some decent drivers in there.

Get Giovanazzi and Valentino Rossi to somehow take the second seat ftw

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I somehow forgot about the only non fraud British driver Jolyon Palmer. Maybe he could drive for Sauber, phwooooar.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Official FIA ABU DABI Race Ratings

The race was garbage solely due to the new F1 logo which means F1 is dead 0/10

Official Formula 1 Season 2018 Season ratings

1 Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes 363 - Wow another FWDC (Fraudulent World Driver Champion) from Britain, the home of bad teeth and fat ugly people. #megacheat 0/10
2 Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari 317 - WOW WHAT A TOP SEASON FROM THE TOP GUY FOR THE BEST TEAM WHICH IS SCUDERIA FERRARI PRIDE OF ITALY, CHEATED AGAIN OUT OF A WDC BY CHEATING BRITISH SCUM 11/10
3 Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes 305 - I think Mercedes should be banned for trying to enter a robot instead of a person, if they were an honest German team they wouldn't do this but because of all the bad british infuence they managed to get away with it due Formula 1 being ruined by terrible fat ugly americans who eat horse burgers. gently caress liberty for killing F1 and making the logo bad. 2/10
4 Kimi Räikkönen FIN Ferrari 205 - Another fantastic season from Kimi 'The Iceman i've poo poo myself I know what I'm doing' Räikkönen, cheated out of 2nd place in the WDC because of cheating british frauds. 10/10
5 Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 200 - Terrible, garbage, trash, basura, spazzatura . All fine adjectives to describe this terrible driver, who is slowly turning into almost a big a bitch as massive bitch Mark Webber 1/10
6 Max Verstappen NED Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer 168 - WOW WHAT A BOY AMAZING SEASON FROM THE DUTCH MASTER MAX 'THE MAX MAN' VERSTAPPEN, CANT WAIT TO SEE HIM DRIVING FOR THE SCUD ONE DAY 10/10
7 Sergio Perez MEX Force India Mercedes 100 Hola, estoy tratando a escribir algo en español sobre Sergio Pérez. Pero la gramática en español es muy difícil porque estoy retrasado 8/10
8 Esteban Ocon FRA Force India Mercedes 87 I think he's pretty good, but I don't know if he's SCUD GOOD 7/10
9 Carlos Sainz ESP Renault 54 Looks like Carlos Sainz Jr is better than bad german fraud Nico Hulkenberg 9/10
10 Nico Hulkenberg GER Renault 43 This guy sucks rear end and is taking up a seat of the only honest brit Jolyon Palmer 4/10
11 Felipe Massa BRA Williams Mercedes 43 Wow what a final drive for the Brazilian Sensation, the new Nelson Piquet SR, the first ever moral WDC who was cruelly cheated out of a WDC by fat ugly cheating brits. Felipe Massa wow, what a guy we will all miss him 10/10
12 Lance Stroll CAN Williams Mercedes 40 AMAZING SEASON FROM THE CANADIAN SENSATION, ALMOST BEATING SCUD LEGEND MASSA IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON, PHWOOOAR THAT WET QUALI AT MONZA AND THAT FANTASTIC DRIVE AT THAT LITERAL DICTATORSHIP COUNTRY THAT THREW MONEY AT BIG BERNIE WOW JUST WOW WOW WOW!/10
13 Romain Grosjean FRA Haas Ferrari 28 gently caress OFF 2/10
14 Kevin Magnussen DEN Haas Ferrari 19 At the start of the season I was calling him keven fagnussen and then he told noted bad driver hulkenberg to suck his balls. Now I think he's really cool and I want to be his friend. 8/10
15 Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren Honda 17 Failnando Badlolzo, is going to manage to loose the Indy 500, Lemans 24 and the F1 WDC in the space of one year what a guy. Shouldn'tve left the scud! 4/10
16 Stoffel Vandoorne BEL McLaren Honda 13 This guy is better than Alonso 9/10
17 Jolyon Palmer GBR Renault 8 UNFAIRLY CHEATED OUT OF A DRIVE, MILES BETTER THAN FRAUDENBERG. SAD 10/10
18 Pascal Wehrlein GER Sauber Ferrari 5 Please pm me if you can tell me something about this guy, I think he gave Vettel a lift back to the pits once ?/10
19 Daniil Kvyat RUS Toro Rosso 5 god I dont care
20 Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber Ferrari 0 GOD I DONT CARE
21 Pierre Gasly FRA Toro Rosso 0 Good rivals punnable name 8/10
22 Antonio Giovinazzi ITA Sauber Ferrari 0 Did this guy race? He's Italian so he must be amazing 10/10
23 Brendon Hartley Another good rivals pun name guy, has a long face. Possibly related to Barnacle Jim? Does he gently caress his bike? does he like to have burly men work his rear end over with dildoes? From newzealand so possibly? 7/10

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Here is your non-personal PM: Wehrlein is a whiny little bitch that won DTM by driving rather good for couple of races, then demanding other drivers backing up to give him DRS constantly so he could become champion. AUDI sent an Audi to kill him, but failed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsd4vjJND24&t=20s, and then fired the guy who drove that Audi). So he won, ended up in F1, and yeah....there's that.

He might not be as bad as Palmer, but I still think that a good year of Formula 3 plus a DTM championship (where basically seven drivers did everything so that he won) might be misleading.

That's my meltdown of the day

Thanks for the great contribution! 😎👍 I vaugely remembered Audi giving orders to punt someone off, didnt realise it was him though!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The problem with DTM is that it's a poor mans SuperGT, the cars aren't as exiting and I'd say the same for the tracks. Plus the lack of Anime cars is a real put off, it's just a shame that SuperGT is always on at like 5am in Europe so I always miss the streams.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

The track selection is okay, imo. Hockenheim is poo poo imo, but Norisring is always awesome, as well as Zandvort and Austria. Nürburging...yeah...hmmm....potential for a snore fest, but also had great races. Lausitzring is a drat cool track imo, with the long straight, and the very technical infield.

Moscow, yeah, can't remember, races can't start there if Putin happens to fly over the track.....

Actually I tell a lie the track selection is pretty good, also dont they come to brands sometimes. Super GT has more interesting cars though, plus they have GT300 category which is pretty drat diverse. Also Germany need to embrace Anime cars.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I remember a few years ago the DTM champion was sponsored by a company called FAG which I had a lol at.

I'm pretty sure they make stuff like wheelbearings and cv joints. I saw a bunch of parts boxes with FAG written on them in my mates garage and did some lols because I am a child.

Also yeah Motegi is a terrible track, somehow even with all the elevation it still manages to be a bunch of hairpins and 90 degree corners mostly.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Human Grand Prix posted:

Hungary produces good races quite frequently and it's a terrible track.

Hungary is a decent track, just not for F1. Kinda like Circuit de Catalunya

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Seabass-TN
Fraud

Delete this crap

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

lol drat

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to click a video that contains formula e footage. #forzaferrari

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

If you're going to do an MR2, it has to be the twin turbo, snap-on-acceleration nutcase job. Otherwise, what's the point?

There's no such thing as a twin turbo mr2!!!!!!!!!!! Also you can buy mine for like 8 grand with a freshly rebuilt forged engine, new gearbox, twin plate clutch, billet td05, celica A2W intercooler, oem supra fuel pump, h&r coilovers, trd swaybars, phoenix power roll centre adjusters, 4 pot front brakes and a bunch of other poo poo I've forgotten about. Oh yeah for another grand you can have a plug and play standalone ecu and 800cc rx7 injectors with collars that will fit the oem fuel rail!

Sounds like a good deal!!!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

NtotheTC posted:

Reminder that it you care about anything other than getting comfortably from A-B reliably and efficiently in your road car then you are massively autistic and also literally Jeremy Clarkson but I repeat myself.

i do have brain problems haha #forzaferrari

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

1500quidporsche posted:

Driving a Corolla rules. You all are hosed in the head.

My car is essentially a corolla, but backwards so this checks out!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Human Grand Prix posted:

*ST185 Celica backwards.

ST205! I even use the A2W IC from one, coupled with a marine pump and a fiat cinquecento rad up front for a heat exchanger.

Wirth1000 posted:

Theophany, go dig up a Celica GT4 Carlos Sainz edition and somehow find a way to get Carlos Sainz Jr to sign it

No he has to buy my car so then I will buy a DC5 Integra Type R or maybe a GT86 or a Renaultsport Megane with the ohlins suspension

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Robert PubeLicker

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

I wear adidas gazelles for track days. They're fine. They also double as lifting shoes.

Has anyone in here actually used driving specific shoes for track days and racing and whatnot? I feel like they're probably overpriced but I do wonder if there is an advantage for heel toe shifts and things like that.

Puma Speedcats or driftcats or we, but my current pair look like poo poo because I never bothered looking after the suede. Might get a second pair of something different at some point tho.

The pumas are completely poo poo at anything else but driving anyway so I just only use em for trackdays now definitely wouldn't use em at the gym.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't go to the gym cause I'm a lazy slob who drinks too much, do you really need special shoes for it?

Well the driftcats aren't good for anything but driving, like walking any decent distance in them isn't that great because there just isn't that much support for your feet. So obviously they aren't going to be good for using at the gym.

Also I can't believe I was very unfairly probated for making fun of a pole!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

That's my biggest concern for 2018. Kubica has Rosberg in his camp - the literal champion of ~*~mindgames~*~. I know that Stroll will easily hold his own on track, but if it starts to become a war of ~*~mindgames~*~ off the track, I just hope Are Stroll can handle it. :ohdear:

I don't know if you can call retiring like a lil bitch because you are somehow worse than your fraud of a teammate a mindgame.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

Because Hamilton still never misses an opportunity to bring it up like the basic bitch he is.

It's no Multi 21

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

In what sense? That an over-the-hill fraud of an Aussie will forever be :qq: about the fact that he was beaten by a younger, hungrier and more talented teammate?

Look just buy my mr2 ok.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

£2k for a 40k mile garage queen, couldn't really say no. Not so sure about all this having to turn up late at night to secluded car parks for owners club meetings, mind.

did you buy a 1st gen or 2nd gen

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Rhopunzel posted:

bring back ron

I bet wicka jacks it to this image.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

Mk2 1.8. Mk1s are either expensive for a good one or a maddening descent into suicide termed a 'project.'

Collecting it in a couple of weeks time!

Refresh all the supension because the bushings and shocks if original are going to be pretty worn and sloppy. Probably a good idea to check the brakes also.

Then buy some mad tyte 80s jdm wheels like these http://www.jdmdistro.com/shop/15-wheels/work-equip-01-7/

Also I hope you checked the front chassis ralis for rust. A friend runs a car control business with loads of these and they like to rot from the inside.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

Yeah I did have those thoughts, especially since I'm buying it sight unseen (you've seen my posting, you know I'm a loving retard). It got through the MOT just fine today with no advisories and it has been SORN and garaged for the last 5 years so there probably isn't any surface rust to be flagged by the MOT. The chap I'm buying it off is my Dad's school buddy and is OCD-levels of fastidiousness with his cars and assures me there is no rot. Suspension refresh, new discs and pads are all on the cards though and in 3 months when I get the itch possibly a supercharger.

Sounds nice! Also good to see you've got a nice factory hardtop. Do you know if it has a torsen diff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

I mean I got a helmet cam

Whats his name haha.

• Locked thread