Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Cythereal posted:

This is a pretty good explanation of why I never bought The New Order or New Colossus and never will. I am just not comfortable with this level of violence.

Understandable, but I think it is being used for a purpose. This is the world that Nazis build. This is what they do to us, what they take away from us. Engel's horrible sneering atrocities disturb me more because of her gleeful evil, her smug, self-centered attitude as she murders better men and women. And she's a coward, too - the second that she doesn't have the upper hand she flees screaming for protection.

It's actively offensive. The devs want you to hate this setting, to reject it utterly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jetrauben posted:

Understandable, but I think it is being used for a purpose. This is the world that Nazis build. This is what they do to us, what they take away from us. Engel's horrible sneering atrocities disturb me more because of her gleeful evil, her smug, self-centered attitude as she murders better men and women. And she's a coward, too - the second that she doesn't have the upper hand she flees screaming for protection.

It's actively offensive. The devs want you to hate this setting, to reject it utterly.

I know and appreciate that, yet I do not find ultra-violence and gore fun or something I want to see in my entertainment, so I'm content giving this series a pass. They look like good games that I'm glad exist yet have no desire to play.

I'm especially peeved about who died in this last episode, considering that from what I've read she's revealed to be a lesbian in this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Huh, didn't know that. Neat.

And for the record, I actually love Wolf 2009.
Wolf 2009 is fantastic, it just didn't sell.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Cythereal posted:

I know and appreciate that, yet I do not find ultra-violence and gore fun or something I want to see in my entertainment, so I'm content giving this series a pass. They look like good games that I'm glad exist yet have no desire to play.

Yeah, that's definitely understandable. With Nazis in power, any sort of diplomatic approach to make things better for the other 95% of the world would be met with "burn the degenerates", so taking the same sort of violence they enact and turning it against them is really the only way a player can reject the setting. It's just that there's some point where things get too dark for audiences to give a poo poo about anything that's going on, even if there's some sort of vague promise that it might possibly get better down the road.

Cythereal posted:

I'm especially peeved about who died in this last episode, considering that from what I've read she's revealed to be a lesbian in this game.

I actually looked it up since I'm super curious, and you're kind of right. She was actually implied to be such in the last game, where she has a pin-up of a woman in her room at the old safehouse. This one just confirms it with a letter from a lover you can find at some point.

anilEhilated posted:

Wolf 2009 is fantastic, it just didn't sell.

Raven Software was one of my favorite developers back in the day, don't think I've played a game they made that I didn't like (I'm going to keep trying to nominate Jedi Knight II for "Best Unintentional Use of Shadows" in those awards Steam's been doing since last year until it happens). Such a shame that by this point, the day when they're no longer contractually bound to nothing but rehashing old CoD maps for new CoD games is going to be the day when Activision lays them off and none of them ever work in the industry again.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 2, 2017

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I respect that. As a Jew sometimes this game was really hard to play.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kadorhal posted:

Yeah, that's definitely understandable. With Nazis in power, any sort of diplomatic approach to make things better for the other 95% of the world would be met with "burn the degenerates", so taking the same sort of violence they enact and turning it against them is really the only way a player can reject the setting. It's just that there's some point where things get too dark for audiences to give a poo poo about anything that's going on, even if there's some sort of vague promise that it might possibly get better down the road.

Oh, I do care about the story in this setting, unlike say Game of Thrones. "Kill Nazis" is a game plan I am 100% on board with, yay for belonging to a group targeted by the Holocaust (LGBT people), but my tolerance for on-screen violence and gore only extends so far.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I thought the head stomp in this video was probably the most brutal part. Most of BJ's killing methods are hardcore and bloody and I have no problem with them, but that got me for some reason.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's so casually dismissive. Like squishing a bug.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I was hoping so badly that this'd happen, and Lazyfire does not disappoint! Holy crap though was that a grim opening :smith:

I'm one of the sociopaths who doesn't mind the ultra-violence when actually playing, but that execution scene did make me wince, god drat. And the puppet show after, ugh.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Did i miss something? The last time a lp thread got that "bloodthirsty" was one of coolguye's and Roboky's WH40K threads ("Suffer not an Eldar to live").

Though videogame nazis sure do make good enemies, which are fun and cathartic to hate. Looking forward to see this game, Lazyfire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Less related... poor show, BJ, not destroying the Nazi sky cruiser while you're on board. Seems to me that that's undoubtedly going to bite you on the rear in the future.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Rappaport posted:

I was hoping so badly that this'd happen, and Lazyfire does not disappoint! Holy crap though was that a grim opening :smith:

I'm one of the sociopaths who doesn't mind the ultra-violence when actually playing, but that execution scene did make me wince, god drat. And the puppet show after, ugh.

Just a reminder, that's on the tamer side of what nazis did with people.

Nothin' wrong with a little bit of ultra-violence. Sounds like some people in this thread aren't ready to be DEATH INCARNATE

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I was waiting for Lazyfire to do this sooner or later and I'm glad that it's sooner

The ultra-violence that BJ dishes out is glorious.

The only problem I have with the game is that on higher difficulties (the only ones I played at :v:) save-scumming becomes the only viable solution in the last quarter of the game unless you're an FPS god, because it gets absolutely loving brutal and unpredictable. I might try and play that on the highest difficulty just to see how this goes

I also really like how they reworked the dual-wield system. I literally never dual-wielded in TNO, and felt that here it is actually useful

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm glad people are enjoying the LP so far. If you haven't played it you should strap in because this poo poo goes all over the place and it's great. I seriously can't take any credit for said enjoyment, though. MachineGames made a fun/brutal/unique/excellent game.

If you enjoyed the Infinite Warfare Let's Play, however, that was all me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When did you LP Infinite Warfare?

I forgot that game existed.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Night10194 posted:

When did you LP Infinite Warfare?

I forgot that game existed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828710

Just watch the Titanfall 2 stuff, really.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The Infinite Warfare bits aren't bad, especially the setpieces because you end up just as involved in those whether you're watching or playing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

MA-Horus posted:

Just a reminder, that's on the tamer side of what nazis did with people.

Nothin' wrong with a little bit of ultra-violence. Sounds like some people in this thread aren't ready to be DEATH INCARNATE

Remember, the Nazis made a concentration camp specifically for children.

For children.

Let that sink in.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Alexeythegreat posted:

The only problem I have with the game is that on higher difficulties (the only ones I played at :v:) save-scumming becomes the only viable solution in the last quarter of the game unless you're an FPS god, because it gets absolutely loving brutal and unpredictable. I might try and play that on the highest difficulty just to see how this goes

I also really like how they reworked the dual-wield system. I literally never dual-wielded in TNO, and felt that here it is actually useful

My biggest, most hated peeve about this game is how in stealth sections being spotted once, and even if you take out the person that spotted you as fast as you can, the alarm is set off. I cant count how many i got seen out of the corner of a nazis eye and had to reset because ALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARM.
Also Super Soldier diesel lines cant be shot off without them noticing, which is slightly annoying since theoretically the shot is harder to make than a headshot.

On a positive note: When you are fully upgraded on ranged stealth kills you can murder the gently caress out of anything in the game with dual wielded pistols.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 2, 2017

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Non huge robot buddy though :c

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That first commander you axed has a funny conversation if you let it play out. Engel is /freaking out/ about the fact that BJ is loose on the boat, while the commander is trying to get her to tell him how many platoon's BJ has with him ("he's alone" not being a sensible answer from his point of view.)

You /can/ quietly killed supersoldaten with enough DPS. Duel pistols with silencer and magnum upgrade + 5 ranks of the silenced weapon damage perk seems to be enough. Take careful aim, then just unload into the head with both guns as rapidly as possible.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 2, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I have a question. Is it absolutely required to stealth through certain sections, or can you pull a DOOM MARINE and roll in guns-blazing? The game seems to be rather generous with health/armor so far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Guns blazing is very risky, at least at first. You really do need all that health & armor. Terror-Billy gets a lot stronger as you go, though.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MA-Horus posted:

I have a question. Is it absolutely required to stealth through certain sections, or can you pull a DOOM MARINE and roll in guns-blazing? The game seems to be rather generous with health/armor so far.

One of the issues some people have with the game is that guns blazing, kill 'em all strategies don't work as well here as in some other games. We will see in a few videos that you can whiff on stealth and still make it out alive, but it can be a really tough prospect.

I personally like trying to stealth stuff as much as possible, partially for perk advancement (I'm doing a terrible job on some of them) and partially because the stealth kills are really satisfying. Also fun are the combat melee kills. There's a lot of fun in killing things in this game.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It gets really bad when you have these loving robots always standing with their back to a wall

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Is Terror Billy a new moniker? I don't remember it from NWO, and never played the older games.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Is Terror Billy a new moniker? I don't remember it from NWO, and never played the older games.

It's apparently a new affectation they gave him after he destroyed the London Monitor, attacked the Mond Base, stole the flagship uboat, and nuked Deathshead.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

OAquinas posted:

It's apparently a new affectation they gave him after he destroyed the London Monitor, attacked the Mond Base, stole the flagship uboat, and nuked Deathshead.

BJ is awesome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lazyfire posted:

BJ is awesome.

One thing the new Wolf pulls off is making it feel like the enemy is a real threat with a lot of real power to throw around while still emphasizing that you're achieving stuff by being a brutal nazi-murderer.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Night10194 posted:

One thing the new Wolf pulls off is making it feel like the enemy is a real threat with a lot of real power to throw around while still emphasizing that you're achieving stuff by being a brutal nazi-murderer.

Yep, I feel like it does a great job of conveying the strength of the enemy and the limited resources of the resistance really well in both games. It makes BJ winning these victories feel like huge achievements instead of just a fact of life in the Nazi regime.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dunno, to me it seems a bit silly how he is supposedly struggling and injured and tired but then he zips around in a wheelchair effortlessly gunning down dozens of soldiers, going up and down ramps/stairs and even makes a freaking drop of more than a meter in it. It's hard to take it even remotely seriously. It jumps back and forth between oh how weak your side is compared to the enemy and how difficult their fight is and MOW DOWN HUNDREDS OF SOLDIERS AHAHAHAHA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!!!

Anyway, I hope there will be more fun and crazier villains than the laughing axe lady.

Gentlemen... All I ask for is war, a war so grand as to make Hell itself tremble. Gentlemen, I ask you as fellow brothers in arms, what is it that you really want? Do you wish for further war as I do? Do you wish for a merciless, bloody war? A war whose fury is built with iron, and lightning, and fire? Do you ask for war to sweep in like a tempest, leaving not even ravens to scavenge, from this Earth!?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Dunno, to me it seems a bit silly how he is supposedly struggling and injured and tired but then he zips around in a wheelchair effortlessly gunning down dozens of soldiers, going up and down ramps/stairs and even makes a freaking drop of more than a meter in it. It's hard to take it even remotely seriously. It jumps back and forth between oh how weak your side is compared to the enemy and how difficult their fight is and MOW DOWN HUNDREDS OF SOLDIERS AHAHAHAHA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!!!

Anyway, I hope there will be more fun and crazier villains than the laughing axe lady.

Gentlemen... All I ask for is war, a war so grand as to make Hell itself tremble. Gentlemen, I ask you as fellow brothers in arms, what is it that you really want? Do you wish for further war as I do? Do you wish for a merciless, bloody war? A war whose fury is built with iron, and lightning, and fire? Do you ask for war to sweep in like a tempest, leaving not even ravens to scavenge, from this Earth!?

Yes. I refuse to write it out even in spoiler bars, but rest assured, yes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

Yes. I refuse to write it out even in spoiler bars, but rest assured, yes.
I appreciate it, and will look forward to finding out.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
There is never enough Dakka. Waaagh!

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Preordered this game, really wanted to enjoy it
But outside of plot stuff, i really hate it
Hate its focus on (rather crappy) stealth (thouh i will admit i am really REALLY strict about stealth in games, as i love the idea of stealth itself and love games that do it well)
Hate how bad combat feels, with a protag who dies way too easy and combat that lacks a punch (but then again, maybe DOOM spoiled me on those)
But, again, rather love the plot and most of what they do
Hoping this lp will show i was just playing the game horribly wrong or something else to get me the drive to finally go back and do the final side missions

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Every play through I've seen of this game makes it look like if you don't use cover and stealth you will be eating poo poo constantly.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dreadwroth posted:

Every play through I've seen of this game makes it look like if you don't use cover and stealth you will be eating poo poo constantly.

Depends on your difficulty level, but yeah--you're surprisingly vulnerable to bullets. If you're at full health on DI you won't get one-shot, but two/three shot is entirely possible.

Of course, there's health and armor generously sprinkled all over the place and you regen to certain levels--so eating a 5HP donut will get you 20HP+ if you wait.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...didn't she blow up inside a giant robot last game? Or was that somebody else?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

...didn't she blow up inside a giant robot last game? Or was that somebody else?

The robot broke her jaw. Graphically so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

bman in 2288 posted:

The robot broke her jaw. Graphically so.
I'd love to get the number of her plastic surgeon.

• Locked thread