Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

NinetySevenA posted:

Did I miss what the box that was bugging Set did?

Be a plot device for the next game, when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I have to ask, what's with Anya stripping all of a sudden?

Also, the two huge supersoldiers or robots were kind of sudden. I guess that the airship is enough of a 'hey, endgame' but they don't seem to have much telegraphing as the end bosses.

Still, looks fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sleepy.eyes posted:

I have to ask, what's with Anya stripping all of a sudden?

Her clothes were on fire.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Wow, Anya is going full Inanna (Sumerian goddess of love, war, and the ecstacy of mixing both). Love it and all of the ending (except the outro song), thank you for showing us this amazing game! :)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dang the cut to that poo poo song gave me whiplash at the end. For funzies I re-watched the ending of TNO (available here at 36:00ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm1Vh0IPuLM) and it was so much better.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NinetySevenA posted:

Did I miss what the box that was bugging Set did?
I spoiled myself on a couple of cutscenes, and if you can believe it, the answer (or, sort of an answer) to the weird box Set's fussing over is a Wyatt timeline exclusive. Yes, really.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Why didn't they use this for the ending?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyjNRmSPVMM

Spent my downtime watching your TNO and TNC LPs and there's so much to rave about in this game. Every time I thought I knew where the plot was going the game jumped the rails, built new ones, and flew off those too. I agree with everyone that the end fight was anticlimactic. I was honestly expecting a bigger version of the flying saucer BJ took from Venus.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Just so everyone knows, this isn't quite over yet. Wyatt's ending has to be addressed, I have to do the videos for the collectibles and we still have a few side missions/obercommando missions left hanging. I had to take some time away from recording because my wife and I hosted Easter this year and I spent a full week running around like crazy and didn't have time to do anything LP related.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I posted this in the main thread on Games too, but here's a pseudo post-mortem from last Friday regarding TNC's storyline and writing. Heavy spoilers of course.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

queserasera posted:

Why didn't they use this for the ending?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyjNRmSPVMM

The related videos had Dropkick Murphy’s cover of “Which Side Are You On?” which I think would have also been a good choice for the credits, despite the fact that it’s specifically about rising up against the union-busters instead of just a rallying song.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

IGNORE ME FOR NOW
I screwed up. Remember, there's a difference between WyattFinal.ac3 and Wyattfinal-final.ac3

Wyatt Party Time!(?) Wyatt's Party sequence plays out almost identically, but man, that aftermath...I'll leave it to you to discuss.

Outside of that, the final level plays out mostly the same as it does with Fergus. I am super paranoid about running out of ammo for the special weapon at all times so I avoid using it for the most part and that really is a shame because both of them are good and fun and can easily get you out of a bind. I'm also sort of surprised at how bad the SMG is at this stage of the game on easy. I would think it would be pretty effective, but I guess the nailgun and the integral silencer + increased damage on silenced weapons is a stacking set of buffs for it that make the thing viable even as the game winds down on normal. Skipping one or more of them seems to be detrimental to it's effectiveness.

I have no idea what is happening with the performance of the game in the recording, I just hope it's not as distracting to watch as it was to play. I usually reset when I notice that it's happening, but thought it was just the prelude to the party scene that was lagging and didn't think it would continue on for the rest of the recording. Oh well.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 11, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there no game audio?

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Bruceski posted:

Is there no game audio?

I popped back in to see if it was just me or if it was intentional. I skipped around a bit and there doesn't seem to be any.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Well, that's screwy. I'll get that fixed.

Edit: Turns out I named the audio files for my voice only recording and for the final mixed recording incredibly similar things and now I'm re-processing the last two episodes. Thanks for the heads up.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 11, 2018

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wyatt Party Time!(?) Wyatt's Party sequence plays out almost identically, but man, that aftermath...I'll leave it to you to discuss.

Outside of that, the final level plays out mostly the same as it does with Fergus. I am super paranoid about running out of ammo for the special weapon at all times so I avoid using it for the most part and that really is a shame because both of them are good and fun and can easily get you out of a bind. I'm also sort of surprised at how bad the SMG is at this stage of the game on easy. I would think it would be pretty effective, but I guess the nailgun and the integral silencer + increased damage on silenced weapons is a stacking set of buffs for it that make the thing viable even as the game winds down on normal. Skipping one or more of them seems to be detrimental to it's effectiveness.

I have no idea what is happening with the performance of the game in the recording, I just hope it's not as distracting to watch as it was to play. I usually reset when I notice that it's happening, but thought it was just the prelude to the party scene that was lagging and didn't think it would continue on for the rest of the recording. Oh well.

Second time's the charm!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Considering Wyatt's visions and some of the cryptic dialogue in the dumb tie-in comic that came out around the game's release I'll be surprised if the third game doesn't involve (unfortunately) time travel or Bioshock Infinite-esque multiverses. Would let them merge the Fergus/Wyatt timelines and maybe it'll also factor into that garage escape that Anya casually brushes aside after BJ comes back.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Heh, the resistance guy who said Wyatt was a good Mensch was called Felix Baumgartner.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
When I first saw the party, I had the distinct feeling that Max would accidentally punch BJs head off.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So weirdly, gameplay wise I think I had an easier time in this part of the game on normal than I did on easy. I think the difficulty ramps up pretty quick at the very end and so the "absorb a bunch of bullets while hatcheting Nazis" strategy I was employing for most of the game wasn't going to suffice against a bunch of giant robots. It also helped nothing that I didn't have the upgrades I did when I played through on normal. Those make a world of difference and if you try to beat the game on the upper difficulty levels without doing at least a couple side missions and picking a few of those up you are really limiting your survivability. I guess if you have a couple key ones (shotgun and assault rifle both to max, maybe a couple for the special weapon) you can muddle through, but not being able to switch to something like the SMG or having to hope that the regular pistol bullet will kill an end game armored guy in a sneaking section is all sorts of risky.

As far as the speech after killing Engle goes, I like the Wyatt one a lot better than the Fergus one. Grace and Horton trading off is great and all, but Wyatt's represents a bit of character development that starts with the end of the party when he's getting all morose and talking about himself in the third person. One of the things this game does precious little of is character development, which is odd considering how deep it was ingrained in the story and setting of the previous game. Seeing Wyatt pull himself out of whatever drug fueled funk he was in and make a totally good speech about starting a revolution makes me hopeful that MachineGames will come back in the third Wolfenstein and do more with the characters than this time around.

Just a note: I think this game and the story are really good still, but it feels like they are setting the stage for something grander rather than laying all their cards on the table the way they did in TNO. TNO was an experiment that had a bit of a cliffhanger ending because they didn't know if they would get the greenlight on a sequel, so while there were paths laid out in the first game that they could follow for a second, it's not like this one where there was clear intent to continue specific things in the next one. I think it makes the game a bit weaker story-wise, but they still take us to fun and interesting places, the writing is still mostly solid and the twist to "slightly less sad BJ" we get after the head transplant is a welcome break after a game and a half of BJ's fatalistic monologues.

Thoughts?

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

So weirdly, gameplay wise I think I had an easier time in this part of the game on normal than I did on easy. I think the difficulty ramps up pretty quick at the very end and so the "absorb a bunch of bullets while hatcheting Nazis" strategy I was employing for most of the game wasn't going to suffice against a bunch of giant robots. It also helped nothing that I didn't have the upgrades I did when I played through on normal. Those make a world of difference and if you try to beat the game on the upper difficulty levels without doing at least a couple side missions and picking a few of those up you are really limiting your survivability. I guess if you have a couple key ones (shotgun and assault rifle both to max, maybe a couple for the special weapon) you can muddle through, but not being able to switch to something like the SMG or having to hope that the regular pistol bullet will kill an end game armored guy in a sneaking section is all sorts of risky.

As far as the speech after killing Engle goes, I like the Wyatt one a lot better than the Fergus one. Grace and Horton trading off is great and all, but Wyatt's represents a bit of character development that starts with the end of the party when he's getting all morose and talking about himself in the third person. One of the things this game does precious little of is character development, which is odd considering how deep it was ingrained in the story and setting of the previous game. Seeing Wyatt pull himself out of whatever drug fueled funk he was in and make a totally good speech about starting a revolution makes me hopeful that MachineGames will come back in the third Wolfenstein and do more with the characters than this time around.

Just a note: I think this game and the story are really good still, but it feels like they are setting the stage for something grander rather than laying all their cards on the table the way they did in TNO. TNO was an experiment that had a bit of a cliffhanger ending because they didn't know if they would get the greenlight on a sequel, so while there were paths laid out in the first game that they could follow for a second, it's not like this one where there was clear intent to continue specific things in the next one. I think it makes the game a bit weaker story-wise, but they still take us to fun and interesting places, the writing is still mostly solid and the twist to "slightly less sad BJ" we get after the head transplant is a welcome break after a game and a half of BJ's fatalistic monologues.

Thoughts?

I think I give the early part of the game and BJ being morose a bit of a break, the dude IS dying, but is determined to go down fighting and bring as many Nazi assholes to hell with him. Everything he's ever known is gone, the war was lost while he was in a waking coma, he managed to find love but at the moment when he manages to get at the very least revenge and redemption and maybe even a little peace it's taken away from him by Death's Head. He fully expected to die in the compound but his friends managed to pull him out at the last moment. He wakes up and is told that his body is failing and it's only through Caroline's sacrifice and her armor that he's even able to continue on. I think it makes sense that as he contemplates the fact that he won't be around to be a father to his children or husband to Anya that he would be fatalistic.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'll be honest with everyone here, I haven't sat down at my computer for literal weeks at this point. Like, putting together the below images is the first thing I've done at this PC in nearly a month. I didn't mean for the LP to sort of slow down like it did nor did I mean to leave a huge gap in time between the last proper episodes and the final side mission videos. Those are going to be a bit delayed just due to my schedule still being a complete disaster (I'm spending next weekend across the country, the weekend after is already booked solid, this weekend was a mess, etc.). With any luck I'll have all the documents posted before the end of the week, though.

On that note, welcome to the Manhattan readables:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Readables for Roswell:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thanks for making the effort to posts all these, they really help flesh out the world.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

After playing through this, I can see there's a good, hell a great game under it. But... The gameplay/gunplay is a bit, well, vanilla. There's nothing really... inventive or unique in the guns.

Will you be doing the dlc?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samovar posted:

After playing through this, I can see there's a good, hell a great game under it. But... The gameplay/gunplay is a bit, well, vanilla. There's nothing really... inventive or unique in the guns.

Will you be doing the dlc?

DLC will be its own thread soon enough. Like I said before: my schedule is screwy, so things are taking time to align. The DLC is set to be a blind LP not quite how I did the Old Blood.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

And we're back. At least for a couple more videos. SubponticatePoster, who is LPing Mass Effect 3, joins me for the first of these post-game side mission videos. There will be a few of these and now that we're kind of out of the woods on the LP itself I'm using these to test out some new editing techniques before deploying them on the next thing I do. Outside of that, we go back to the Roswell bunker and kill off an ubercommander in this video. Oh, and do the same in the New York ruins. You may be wondering "why bother doing this after the main game is over?" Well, two reasons: one is that there are specific side missions that take you to a couple of these locations, we'll see those in a later video. There's also a special ubercommander mission we have to unlock by doing all the other ones first, and I really want to show that off. Unfortunately, these things are a bit on the grindy side. You need six to seven Enigma codes to unlock each of the Venus missions, and I think five is the average across all Ubercommanders. That means you need a lot of commander cards, more than the base game provides and more than you'll get from doing each of the side missions. Then you need eight more to unlock the last one. That's a lot of cards. Even with the side missions you can pick up sending you out into the field a couple more times you'll still need to do more repeat missions. In my opinion it was one of the least thought out parts of the game, but if you are trying to get all the gold and all the toys and all the other collectibles you'll probably need to run out to some of these several times either way, and maybe the idea was to appeal to completionists by giving them a final goal to work towards? I can't say.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ok, some more text to comb through everyone. These are the Venus and Mesquite notes. The reason I combined them is largely due to the fact that you get a bit of the Terror Billy movie information in both of them, so while you get information about how Rip screwed up his business and some stuff about how BJ blew up Roswell, you are also getting a large mix of Lady Helene in here, which I thought was interesting. Helene is a fun side character, if nothing else. She only shows up in person for a few minutes and is more a tour guide to Hitler's madness, but she appears in a lot of documents as she's a high ranking propagandist. I thought that was worth noting because you can see the way the Nazis are mixing entertainment and political message into the '60's. I mean, they were doing it effectively as far back as the 30's, but as they became the dominant force on the planet you would think they could back off on it to a degree as they really had no competition and the revolutionaries like BJ were a small concern at best until he snapped out of his condition and started killing anything wearing a swastika. Instead, it looks like the Nazis went full indoctrination and are pushing posters, newspaper articles and movies in order to keep the American public believing the Nazis are unstoppable/unbeatable even as BJ shows that isn't quite the case.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Didn't even know there was a sequel in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p25P-IDMY0Q

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
That's actually standalone DLC. Supposedly they do still plan to do Wolf3 though.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I have great news: this represents a sprint to the finish for the LP. I've been dragging my feet just because I knew my schedule was going to be all sorts of terrible for the last couple months and didn't want to do too much in fits and starts. Now that is all behind me and I can actually spend time both playing and editing things, so yay. Really, the issue is that I've put in three playthroughs of the game and this is my second playthrough of the side content, which doesn't really have much to it that makes you want to do it over and over unless you are going for all the items in the game, which I'm not. It's a nice addition, but it leaves a lot to be desired, something which I cover in the next video.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
On the subject of silenced weapons supposedly being hearable by enemies - as someone who hasn't played this game yet (despite owning it, I have a very generous friend), I'd sooner assume, based not only on the precedent set by the silenced pistol in The New Order but by every other shooter ever, that how loud the shots from a silenced gun are has absolutely no bearing on enemies' ability to hear you firing it, and they probably only notice if your target drops in their line of sight or the bullet passes by them or impacts a surface within a reasonable distance.

Payday 2 is the only game I've played in the last ten years where I know they attempted to properly emulate the fact that suppressed weapons still make a quite-audible noise for the purposes of stealth detection (and you can still sort of tell it was originally designed for that when you attach that "Low-Profile" suppressor onto a gun and the firing noise almost doesn't change), and even then they had to patch it to the more standard "fire it in his ear, he won't care" after they were somehow unable to properly account for vertical distance for the sound check and you'd get weird poo poo like a civilian panicking because he somehow heard you executing a lone guard in a basement hallway three floors down.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I wanted to put this up on Wednesday because 4th of July. What could be more American than killing Nazis? Please, let's get back to letting Nazis be bad guys, jesus christ.

Anyway, that clearly didn't happen. Combination of my internet being a shitbox thanks to a recent storm that killed my old router and my computer randomly deciding to give me an audio bug that made me think the video was no good. By the time I realized everything was good I had attempted to re-record a couple times. My schedule was completely borked at that point so I just moved things around a bit. Good news is that we'll finish everything for the LP next week if everything goes according to plan.

Kadorhal posted:

On the subject of silenced weapons supposedly being hearable by enemies - as someone who hasn't played this game yet (despite owning it, I have a very generous friend), I'd sooner assume, based not only on the precedent set by the silenced pistol in The New Order but by every other shooter ever, that how loud the shots from a silenced gun are has absolutely no bearing on enemies' ability to hear you firing it, and they probably only notice if your target drops in their line of sight or the bullet passes by them or impacts a surface within a reasonable distance.

Payday 2 is the only game I've played in the last ten years where I know they attempted to properly emulate the fact that suppressed weapons still make a quite-audible noise for the purposes of stealth detection (and you can still sort of tell it was originally designed for that when you attach that "Low-Profile" suppressor onto a gun and the firing noise almost doesn't change), and even then they had to patch it to the more standard "fire it in his ear, he won't care" after they were somehow unable to properly account for vertical distance for the sound check and you'd get weird poo poo like a civilian panicking because he somehow heard you executing a lone guard in a basement hallway three floors down.

You are partially correct. The silenced SMG and base silenced pistol will only be audible to the player, with the enemies only noticing if you hit a wall nearby or literally drop someone at their feet (or fail to kill someone), outside of that the guns have no real noticeable impact on the world. The pistol with the magnum ammo makes slightly more sound and so you can't fire while standing basically on top of an enemy or they'll hear it, but it doesn't really make much of a noise and you have few reasons to switch away from it, even if trying to stay quiet.

In terms of games from the last ten years...Splinter Cell games were always a bit more willing to punish players for trying to use guns in general. I can remember the silenced AR being a weapon of last resort more than anything as it would still make enough noise that enemies would notice. The non-lethal attachments were actually the better way to go when using the SC because of that. I want to say that most Tom Clancy games were similar. I think R6 Vegas was at least. The Tomb Raider reboot had a silenced gun that wasn't terribly silent, to the point where the bow was preferable, from what I recall.

I get where you are coming from with silenced weapons, though. The penalties for using them are generally minimal compared to the benefits. Usually it's like, reduced optimal range on the gun in exchange for being harder to detect in some way. COD is a great example as you'll stay off the minimap and enemies will have a harder time figuring out which direction they are being shot at from, but you need to get closer to do the most damage possible. It's not a terrible system in multiplayer, though the balance is getting old. In single player games there's often zero reason to not select a silenced gun, though. Enemies usually die in just a couple hits and switching to something else or getting close is almost always an option even if there's a multiplayer style balance. Often developers don't even bother with that so you have just no incentive to ever change weapons. I would be interested to see if you could play something like this game with no silenced pistol or SMG, it would probably be a lot of throwing axes and running up to guys to melee before they could set off alarms, but it seems doable. In most other games you need to rely on that silenced gun as it is the only real method you have to sneak through an area besides melee. I think the axes add a dimension here that ends up missing from other games is what I'm trying to say. That is at least a plausible silent kill to an extent.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

I wanted to put this up on Wednesday because 4th of July. What could be more American than killing Nazis? Please, let's get back to letting Nazis be bad guys, jesus christ.

Anyway, that clearly didn't happen. Combination of my internet being a shitbox thanks to a recent storm that killed my old router and my computer randomly deciding to give me an audio bug that made me think the video was no good. By the time I realized everything was good I had attempted to re-record a couple times. My schedule was completely borked at that point so I just moved things around a bit. Good news is that we'll finish everything for the LP next week if everything goes according to plan.

You are partially correct. The silenced SMG and base silenced pistol will only be audible to the player, with the enemies only noticing if you hit a wall nearby or literally drop someone at their feet (or fail to kill someone), outside of that the guns have no real noticeable impact on the world. The pistol with the magnum ammo makes slightly more sound and so you can't fire while standing basically on top of an enemy or they'll hear it, but it doesn't really make much of a noise and you have few reasons to switch away from it, even if trying to stay quiet.

In terms of games from the last ten years...Splinter Cell games were always a bit more willing to punish players for trying to use guns in general. I can remember the silenced AR being a weapon of last resort more than anything as it would still make enough noise that enemies would notice. The non-lethal attachments were actually the better way to go when using the SC because of that. I want to say that most Tom Clancy games were similar. I think R6 Vegas was at least. The Tomb Raider reboot had a silenced gun that wasn't terribly silent, to the point where the bow was preferable, from what I recall.

I get where you are coming from with silenced weapons, though. The penalties for using them are generally minimal compared to the benefits. Usually it's like, reduced optimal range on the gun in exchange for being harder to detect in some way. COD is a great example as you'll stay off the minimap and enemies will have a harder time figuring out which direction they are being shot at from, but you need to get closer to do the most damage possible. It's not a terrible system in multiplayer, though the balance is getting old. In single player games there's often zero reason to not select a silenced gun, though. Enemies usually die in just a couple hits and switching to something else or getting close is almost always an option even if there's a multiplayer style balance. Often developers don't even bother with that so you have just no incentive to ever change weapons. I would be interested to see if you could play something like this game with no silenced pistol or SMG, it would probably be a lot of throwing axes and running up to guys to melee before they could set off alarms, but it seems doable. In most other games you need to rely on that silenced gun as it is the only real method you have to sneak through an area besides melee. I think the axes add a dimension here that ends up missing from other games is what I'm trying to say. That is at least a plausible silent kill to an extent.

Kinda hard to hide a freaking hatchet to the face though! Not to mention the gore of ripping it out of the skull to use it again and again... but then, that's good ol' BJ!

To be fair though, I liked MGS's way of handling silenced weapons, the more you used them, the less effective the suppressor was until you were basically unable to muffle the sound. And to be fair, it gave you the non-lethal method of using tranqs or CQC melee and straight being able to sneak your way around enemies in order to progress.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
I just plowed through the Fergus timeline and I'm slowly working through the Wyatt timeline now, thanks Lazyfire!

I don't have any problem at all with using signifiers that wouldn't exist in a Nazi controlled US to signpost things that obviously would. I mean sure the way that a militant black power movement would present itself would be different, but obviously it would exist, and using identifiers that we understand is way better than some random poo poo that wouldn't mean anything to us. Similarly the influences that would shape jazz clarinet wouldn't be recognizable to us, but there'd still be underground music that the Reich hated, and it would really break the flow of the game to stop and give a three hour dissertation about alternate music history.

What does bother me is BJ's weird assertion to Horton that anarchists and folks passing out bolshevik pamphlets were late to the war. I thought the place where this history diverged from our own was that the nazis found ancient jewish super science, but apparently the Spanish civil war never happened? Maybe BJ was just super drunk. Similarly I understand that for an English speaking audience you gotta focus on English speaking countries, but wow the US seems like a tough sell for starting a revolution, given the historical sympathy a lot of the US had for fascism. In particular I'm thinking about Henry Ford, the German American Bund, favorable nazi coverage in the NYT, and the jim crow laws the nuremberg laws were based on. Seems like there'd be a less cooperative vichy government and less popular support just about anywhere else. Russia in particular seems like it'd be a better bet. I must have missed some reading, but what happened there?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I had an awful time trying to get Wolf 2 to work on my pc. Audio gliches and frequent crashes. Updating drives and lots of research to fix it. No luck at all. Finally gave up in disgust when following the new york level the audio cut out completely for the dialogue that followed in the helicopter ride.

So thank you Lazyfire for this. In the end, it feels like I didn't miss out on too much unique stuff, but still a solid game. Wolf 1 seems better in retrospect but 2 has all the important parts. Giant nazi robots to kill, giant nazi assholes to kill. :hellyeah:

GladRagKraken posted:

Russia in particular seems like it'd be a better bet. I must have missed some reading, but what happened there?

Someone will correct me I'm sure, but I was under the impression from wolf 1 that Russia's stuck in a guerrilla war against the German's, as is parts of Africa, but both continents are badly outgunned by Deathshead's technology.

So they are fighting but something's gotta take the pressure off them. Ignite the fight in the US and that might give the other territories time to breathe.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 9, 2018

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Thyrork posted:

I had an awful time trying to get Wolf 2 to work on my pc. Audio gliches and frequent crashes. Updating drives and lots of research to fix it. No luck at all. Finally gave up in disgust when following the new york level the audio cut out completely for the dialogue that followed in the helicopter ride.

So thank you Lazyfire for this. In the end, it feels like I didn't miss out on too much unique stuff, but still a solid game. Wolf 1 seems better in retrospect but 2 has all the important parts. Giant nazi robots to kill, giant nazi assholes to kill. :hellyeah:

Your welcome. I recorded the episode going up tonight before you made this post, but if you didn't know that you would think I was railing against what you said here as I take the almost opposite tack on both performance and gameplay quality while talking over me killing Nazis and Nazi robots.

I think the gameplay and level design here were a bit better thought out than in TNO simply because I didn't have to constantly switch to a laser cutter to get through stuff. The contraptions, for as long as they last (New Orleans, some of the Obercommando levels, Engle's Moving Castle) are a more elegant solution to making the player stop and think about how to progress and come with the added benefit of not requiring ammo/battery, which freed up the special weapon slot to do something different with each timeline, something I thought was a nice touch. I go into it on the video, but I would have loved to see a dedicated silenced sniper rifle, or at least a distance=enemies won't hear the gunshot version of the secondary fire on the AR in this game simply because it would have made it a bit easier for the average to bad players who want to go full stealth or can't really handle the head to head combat going loud entails at least pick off a couple enemies at a time and hopefully help their case. I know I was saying silenced guns are a bit of a crutch just a few posts ago, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that the game was really missing that long range quiet option that can be absolutely vital for some players. It's an option, at the end of the day, not something a player who wants to dual weild shotguns would ever have to touch, after all.

I also thought that performance was a bit better for me in this game than TNO and TOB was/were/whatever. I had a couple instances where frames were randomly dropping when I first started or when I looked in a single direction, but it either cleared up after I reset the game or just fixed itself over time. I remember some people were messing with ini files in TNO to get it to run even OK, something I didn't have to do, thankfully. But then. Then I remembered that the first patch to the game introduced a bug where if you were trying to leave the party and go into the final mission THE GAME WOULD COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN NO MATTER WHAT. I have no idea what that poo poo was about. I started a new playthrough and it turned out that if I tried to go into ANY cutscene it would shut down. Turns out I just had to repair my install and things were cool, but seriously, what the gently caress? I think me burning out on playing the game contributed to how long it took to finishing the LP, as fun and gratifying as I think the game can be. According to Steam I have 59 hours in TNC. That's both playthroughs I did for this LP, the playthrough and 9/10ths (I did all the side missions on the frozen file, which I deleted to start the new playthrough...), the side missions for the LP and replaying up to meeting Grace again for the mainline LP because something broke or I lost content or I don't know anymore. That's a lot of time in a game that is, at the end of the day, pretty linear. This isn't like Dark Souls where even though you have a very specific set of areas and spawns and such that you can just keep going back and doing things differently or challenge yourself in weird and new ways, this is like a COD game with heart and a shotgun that fires ricochet rounds that tear up Nazis. A lot of fun and some replayability, but a finite experience for sure.

This is way more than I sat down to type, holy hell.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Penultimate episode time. Like I said before, we still have the remaining letters and the records to do, but outside of that this is going to just about do it for The New Colossus. The Freedom Chronicles, the episodic DLC featuring three different people killing Nazis across the US, will be done in a new thread just because it's new and different enough to warrant as much.

I use this video as a chance to discuss my various feelings about the game, and I have a lot of opinions. Like I mentioned in my last post, I've put far too much time into the game not to have my opinions on what it does right and wrong calcify a bit, which I think comes across in the commentary. I think it comes across as a worthy successor to TNO if nothing else, and maybe it strikes out on some points, but the areas it refined are almost all home run changes. For one, I think the mere addition of the side missions is a good thing overall, I just lament that there isn't much happening there to justify their existence. Like, yeah, pick up the extra contraptions and do the couple side missions while grabbing more Enigma codes to randomly do more side missions. I just don't think the incentives are enough to make the average person jump into the missions as it really is just re-arranged and re-routed single player levels tasking you with killing uparmored commanders.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
A silenced sniper rifle for later Wolfenstein games could be pretty cool, yeah. For one, I personally love the idea about as much as I do a ridiculously-accurate silenced pistol that kills in one headshot (being more effective than bee stings with not-headshots optional, I remember favoring the pistol in Command & Conquer Renegade so much that I tried to take on snipers with it and died when I was younger). More importantly, though, since the game can at least handle letting enemies hear a silenced gun with the Magnum upgrade on the pistol, doing that on a larger scale would solve the problem of properly balancing it. For any other game that would just not make it audible to enemies period, the only real way to balance it would be by going the route of the Snooper Rifle from Return to Castle Wolfenstein and just not giving you any ammo for it. That'd just defeat the purpose of giving you it in the first place, since anyone who needed it would waste all the ammo in the first stealth segment and still end up trying and failing to stealth through later ones, and anyone who didn't need it would just never use it period, worried that once they do an emergency would come up where they need it even more (then when such an emergency does come up, worry that they'd need it even more for a future emergency).

On that subject, I somehow completely blocked out Far Cry 3 and 4 when I was thinking about how games handle silenced weapons, they're actually pretty good about it. I'm not entirely sure whether they can hear a silenced gun being fired within a certain distance, but I know they can at least tell where a gun was fired from if the bullet passes close enough or they find a dead body. Interestingly, I think they only did that for regular bullet-firing guns and not for the bow, which was 100% silent but had arrow-drop and no options for magnified sights - they could tell the general direction a guy got shot from given the arrow sticking out of him but they wouldn't immediately home in on your exact position like if you were using a sniper rifle.

It's ironic because it's the same developer as Rainbow Six: Vegas, which you brought up last time, and from what I can remember in Vegas 2 at least, enemies detecting silenced weapons seems to be based more on plot necessity than game mechanics - I remember an instance in the first level where you can fire from ten feet behind a guy, hitting another guy that should be in his peripheral vision, and not getting a reaction (even on Realistic difficulty, where they're definitely better at seeing you open the door into that room in the first place), and I can also remember instances in the penultimate level where single guys off in some abandoned corner of the facility, standing next to loud machinery that by all rights should drown out your silenced gun's noise, still spawn in two dozen other guys who know exactly where you are as soon as you ventilate his skull.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I agree that a duel wielding BJ should just kick and headbutt Nazis to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Lazyfire posted:

I think the gameplay and level design here were a bit better thought out than in TNO simply because I didn't have to constantly switch to a laser cutter to get through stuff. The contraptions, for as long as they last (New Orleans, some of the Obercommando levels, Engle's Moving Castle) are a more elegant solution to making the player stop and think about how to progress and come with the added benefit of not requiring ammo/battery, which freed up the special weapon slot to do something different with each timeline, something I thought was a nice touch.

I agree completely. The cutter really is better served as a weapon and a friend explaining to me the Constrictor Harness as "Samus's morph ball" was delightful. :allears:

• Locked thread