Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Poil posted:

Gentlemen... All I ask for is war, a war so grand as to make Hell itself tremble. Gentlemen, I ask you as fellow brothers in arms, what is it that you really want? Do you wish for further war as I do? Do you wish for a merciless, bloody war? A war whose fury is built with iron, and lightning, and fire? Do you ask for war to sweep in like a tempest, leaving not even ravens to scavenge, from this Earth!?

Now you're just making me want a Wolfenstein/Hellsing crossover. To be fair, that would be sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bman in 2288 posted:

The robot broke her jaw. Graphically so.

BJ's developing a real talent for not finishing the job. Failed to kill her when he had the chance, failed to blow up the Nazi sky cruiser when he was on board.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

BJ's developing a real talent for not finishing the job. Failed to kill her when he had the chance, failed to blow up the Nazi sky cruiser when he was on board.

The reason he failed to kill her was because a giant robot threw her over a cliffside.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Night10194 posted:

The reason he failed to kill her was because a giant robot threw her over a cliffside.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Just chop off the little pause at the start of that gif, and you have good avatar material

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
I mean, realistically that probably should have killed her--paralyzed her at the very least--but she such a loathesome character; it'd be way too convenient is she'd died from something like having her spine broken by being hurled into a tree by a killer robot.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Drakenel posted:

Just chop off the little pause at the start of that gif, and you have good avatar material

What's the h and w on avatars these days? I still have the images and can fix it up if someone wants it

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I can't wait til you get to the Finnish character. PERKELE SAATANA.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I can't wait til you get to the Finnish character. PERKELE SAATANA.

Robbaz is that you?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
No.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So interesting thing I missed in the game before: when Rip comes home in the opening sequence (the engagement ring vignette) Bessie jumps off the bed as the door slams and runs behind BJ's mother. If you look over at her she is submissively urinating.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
Just binged the New Order videos and the first two here. I am loving all the killing of loving Nazis.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

In hindsight, it would probably have been better to have cut this into a couple episodes rather than have a 45 minute long mix between mission and world/character building.

Section F is probably one of my favorite early game segments. The idea that there were a bunch of Nazi saboteurs hiding inside the boat the entire time is neat, but also the sort of fanatical devotion you expect from die hard Nazis. At the same time, it provides a really nice contrast to the living area the resistance has taken over. For as grungy and lived in as the main deck can feel at times, it's not rust covered or water logged with random mattresses jammed in every corner. Once we leave Section F you really are meant to get your bearings in the sub, which doesn't take much time. The developers made a lot of interconnected areas and put in a number of shortcuts for the places you'll be passing through often. At the same time, places like the Hanger and the Locker Room are sort of off to the side and can be ignored unless you need to go down/up to them. The locker room doesn't have anything but collectibles in it, but the hanger has some unique stuff that we'll look at eventually.

Something I want to point out about the Wolfenstone machine in the lounge: that thing is a pretty faithful reskin of Wolf 3D, meaning no vertical look making me incredibly motion sick and no TNO/TNC mechanics in 2.5D graphics. Because of that I can actually stand to play it for more than five minutes at a time before I get nausea. I was thinking of doing a quick and dirty playthrough for the thread, or at least a couple bonus videos. I was also thinking it may be good stream material. Let me know what you would want to see, if anything.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

So interesting thing I missed in the game before: when Rip comes home in the opening sequence (the engagement ring vignette) Bessie jumps off the bed as the door slams and runs behind BJ's mother. If you look over at her she is submissively urinating.

Oh my loving God, Rip is scum. I really hope he gets caught in an "unfortunate" reenactment of Caesar's assassination by the senate.

Or he gets loving shot by BJ. Dude's just as bad as-- no, wait, the Nazi party was all for animal rights.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Set is quite possibly the most overtly, positively Jewish character in any game I have ever seen.

Like, BJ being canonically Jewish is fantastic, but Set's constant stream of broken Yiddish and his pointedly Ashkenazi mannerisms are music to my ears.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The journals in Section F actually do show up somewhere. I only found them right near the end of the game so I don't know if they show up right after clearing that area out or later but there's a small alcove somewhere in the submarine hub where I found a whole bunch of documents and I remember the one you picked up at 10:33 being one of them.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Kibayasu posted:

The journals in Section F actually do show up somewhere. I only found them right near the end of the game so I don't know if they show up right after clearing that area out or later but there's a small alcove somewhere in the submarine hub where I found a whole bunch of documents and I remember the one you picked up at 10:33 being one of them.

After you beat the game any missed collectables from "can't return there" areas (like Section F) get scattered in an opened room by the elevator.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

JT Jag posted:

I'd love to get the number of her plastic surgeon.

He's been dead for about five months now, ever since he blew himself up with a grenade.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

On my first attempt at the shooting range I got 400, which I maintain is narratively the best score to get.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I agree with you on the voice acting and animation. As well as the little character pieces.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love the floral Kreisau 'uniform'.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

On my first attempt at the shooting range I got 400, which I maintain is narratively the best score to get.

I got 420 on my first try, so you're wrong.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Here's the full Käfer song from The New Order: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69z_IN64EG4
I love the fact that they managed to fit the Beatles in this parallel universe. They might be forced to sing in German and only nazi-approved text, but they're still here (and John's still the 'mysterious one').
In The New Order, even BJ starts humming "Mond Mond, Ja, Ja" while he's on the Moon Base.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Lazyfire, a question; You said that you would not collect or pause on documents for people to read. I interpreted that as you would post screen shots in the thread after each episode, but you haven't so far. So yeah, what is your plan for documents?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hit the K button quickly when they pop up? :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Thesaya posted:

Lazyfire, a question; You said that you would not collect or pause on documents for people to read. I interpreted that as you would post screen shots in the thread after each episode, but you haven't so far. So yeah, what is your plan for documents?

First set will most likely be up tomorrow. I hit a snag and had to replay to the end of the next episode, so things got delayed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SavageGentleman posted:

Here's the full Käfer song from The New Order: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69z_IN64EG4
I love the fact that they managed to fit the Beatles in this parallel universe. They might be forced to sing in German and only nazi-approved text, but they're still here (and John's still the 'mysterious one').
In The New Order, even BJ starts humming "Mond Mond, Ja, Ja" while he's on the Moon Base.

Set will start humming it after he's done yelling at Sigrun, too. She got it stuck in his head.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Really Pants posted:

Set will start humming it after he's done yelling at Sigrun, too. She got it stuck in his head.

Insidious Nazi psychological warfare.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I spent two hours recording and editing the readables from Evas Hammer and the Ausmerzer last night. The video is half an hour long. Some documents have spoilers for later events, so this isn't even a complete list. A screenshot post for this would be crazy huge.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

After you watch that this is a conversation I missed early on in the level

I really like the design of the next couple levels. The Nazis in the bright yellow uniforms HazMat suits (and commanders wearing leather trenchcoats over them) are a nice touch and remind me a bit of the moon base Nazis in their pure white armor/spacsuits from the previous game. Add to that the great job this game does with art direction and variety in general and you have a really memorable set of levels. The level art is something I did want to touch on in a post, and now feels like the best time. TNO and TNC do a really great job of offering a variety of environments that feel like they could share a world but are clearly different at the same time. This level is one of the only ones in either game where you see horribly damaged structures like this, for example, and that is because it did sort of get nuked and had everything fall apart. Later urban areas are either pristine or falling apart due to neglect over outright purposeful devastation. I like this partially because it shows the artists cared enough to build very different assets and the level designers were consistent enough in their use that you can feel the circumstances in each location is different.

At the same time, when you go into a Nazi base or bunker (it's Wolfenstein, that's not a spoiler, it is what you do) you see some of the same room setups and assets like control panels and such. Same as with the Evas Hammer and the Ausmerzer, you can see some similarities in the machinery and design of both. Again, it helps make the world feel internally consistent, which is part of what makes me really like these games. It isn't that other games don't do this, it's that there's often a lot of asset reuse and building block feeling level design that can take away from the atmosphere.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh hey, found this thread. Glad to see you moving on with B.J. Blaskowicz's Nazi Murder Chronicles, Lazyfire.

Anyhew, some interesting trivia. You'll notice B.J. entered the Wall Street subway station, but there's no real indication of which Wall Street station he entered. See, there are two Wall Street stations in downtown Manhattan; one for the 2/3 trains (aka, the Broadway/7th Avenue line) and one for the 4/5 trains (aka, the Lexington Avenue line). However, the 2 and the 3 trains run much closer to the Empire State Building than the 4 and the 5 trains, so B.J.'s landing point was probably somewhere along the southeastern tip of Manhattan given how short of a trip it took him to reach the subway station. Of course, this is Manhattan after being nuked to hell and back, so I imagine that the rest of the trip to the Empire State Building is not going to be as smooth as it'd normally be, especially since B.J. has to cover about a third of the length of Manhattan to get to his destination.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Not gonna say I got startled when the crock jumped out of the water, but I got startled when the crock jumped out of the water.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

NinetySevenA posted:

Not gonna say I got startled when the crock jumped out of the water, but I got startled when the crock jumped out of the water.

I didn't see it until I was picking up collectibles much later in the game, freaked me the hell out, too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I thought it was just our Kreisau buddies bullshitting but the Nazis probably would do a thing or five with giant sewer crocs, wouldn't they?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I probably have about 12 to 15 credit hours that touched on Nazi Germany in in some way and if anything the depiction in this game is sanitized.

It's really almost impossible to depict them as bad as they actually were. This game absolutely Nails the aesthetic, though. It's amazing how well they keep a coherent theme that's absolutely in keeping with Third Reich era art, architecture and design aesthetic.

You can absolutely make the argument that the modernity of Nazi Germany is what makes it so uniquely awful, like some Nazi apologists do, but the reality is it's still uniquely awful.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 12, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember a review of Velvet Assassin that was like "Man, they're nazis, we know they're bad, you don't have to make up the SS giving a madman control of a battalion of convicted rapists and murderers to let loose on occupied peoples so you can make them seem worse."

Except you know, Oskar Dirlewanger was completely real, and they did exactly that. Any time someone thinks they're exaggerating about the Nazis, they're usually not.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Night10194 posted:

Except you know, Oskar Dirlewanger was completely real, and they did exactly that. Any time someone thinks they're exaggerating about the Nazis, they're usually not.

IIRC this was a guy so bad even the SS was like "what the gently caress, dude" and kicked him out of the clubhouse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GunnerJ posted:

IIRC this was a guy so bad even the SS was like "what the gently caress, dude" and kicked him out of the clubhouse.

They may've considered him distasteful but he stayed in command and kept getting medals and participating in mass slaughters until he went into hiding in 45, was captured, and was probably beaten to death by his guards in a POW camp.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Night10194 posted:

They may've considered him distasteful but he stayed in command and kept getting medals and participating in mass slaughters until he went into hiding in 45, was captured, and was probably beaten to death by his guards in a POW camp.

What I'm thinking of is before any of that. I think I read somewhere he tried to join the SS and got kicked out and then only later ended up in command of an IRL Black Dog Knights somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

He was friends with Himmler, or a friend of a friend of Himmler, I can't remember exactly.

• Locked thread