Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Caroline and the Kreisau Circle showing up just remind me how bizarre it is that this brooding grimdark Wolfenstein continuity began with an upbeat Indiana Jones style game about ancient magic doodads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Huh, didn't know that. Neat.

And for the record, I actually love Wolf 2009.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's so casually dismissive. Like squishing a bug.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Except you know, Oskar Dirlewanger was completely real, and they did exactly that. Any time someone thinks they're exaggerating about the Nazis, they're usually not.

IIRC this was a guy so bad even the SS was like "what the gently caress, dude" and kicked him out of the clubhouse.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Night10194 posted:

They may've considered him distasteful but he stayed in command and kept getting medals and participating in mass slaughters until he went into hiding in 45, was captured, and was probably beaten to death by his guards in a POW camp.

What I'm thinking of is before any of that. I think I read somewhere he tried to join the SS and got kicked out and then only later ended up in command of an IRL Black Dog Knights somehow.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I'm not sure anyone is aware that BJ is Jewish. Does he self-identify as Jewish? There was a scene where Engel praised his good Aryan features. I don't think anyone knows they're treating one of the last living Jews as complicit by association with other whiteys. (eta: Unless there were scenes in the first game I missed/forgot.)

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 19, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Was it really that Engels was a moron, or that "Nazi racial science" is incoherent garbage? By extension I took it as a critique of making assumptions about how someone looks. But Nazis aren't the only once who can. I mean the irony of the Nazi-slayer being a Polish Jew who looks like an Aryan superman seems to be 100% intentional.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Well, I'm asking whether the scene was just supposed to be about Engels personally being stupid. I take it as given that she is even if there's more to it than that. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It was also a rhetorical question.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Did I miss a scene that established that he's dying of something beyond the healing ability of the techno-wizard who can attach a cat's head to a monkey's body?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Lazyfire posted:

Set can only do so much with the material available. It's the same reason when BJ woke up Max wasn't speaking full sentences and Caroline still needed the power armor.

Yeah, but I still wouldn't bet against him being able to figure something out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Lazyfire posted:

My favorite indication of BJ's diminished physical state is the 50 health max before overcharge. It is just a great way to show he isn't doing great.

Yeah I noticed that, it's a cool detail.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting that BJ gets a whole new body just because Set's done it, just that that is an index to his mad science skill. Although I am not against BJ going body hopping.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It looks like a lot of the Nazis escaped on rockets, did he manage to nuke enough of them? :ohdear:

Also uh is the escape plan actually to send them all to goddamn Venus??

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

And that's just poo poo they actually built and deployed. Let's not forget the "Land Cruiser" design: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1000_Ratte

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hell, go a step farther and make the "Land Battleship" descendants of that the final level.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Slave labor is actually very productive, this seems to be a common point of confusion.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Crazy Achmed posted:

Although, surely they could wait until after reattaching your head before asking you waht snazzy piece of gear you want?

This head re-attachment poo poo is probably the craziest thing I have ever seen in a video game but the way they're all in a line holding up his new gear like he's picking his prize on a game show is maybe the most surreal aspect of it. Just sitting in front of his head in a jar asking him what he wants for Christmas.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

The courtroom scene is strange in that they shoved in so much Nazi iconography yet left the judge with a black robe instead of the (for German judges) traditional red. Compare this scene from the Sophie Scholl film:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEjbd5z7Jo&t=82s. Also, it is funny that, apart from the judge, there are only fully armoured soldiers hanging around the court - seems like they couldn't be bothered to model other officials that would likely be present.

I guess the judge is still an American judge despite the change in management. Also we only see the rest of the courtroom in a dream sequence iirc. Otherwise BJ's just pointed at the judge between having his hood removed and then put back on. (ETA: Nope, I'm wrong, you see one shot from the bench and the room's empty.)

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 27, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Going back and watching the video to check something in my last post reminded me of one of the more effective things in this part: the way the National Mall's been redone to basically be a courtyard between a bunch of new Nazi buildings, in addition to how built up that area of DC now seems to be. Hitler replacing Lincoln is a classic Wolf over-the-top touch but I was way more unnerved by the Washington Monument basically being reduced to a bit of decorative sculpture alongside more massive Nazi brutalist architecture.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

unwantedplatypus posted:

Also the super-soldier body apparently doesn't have nipples

Every scene with BJ and his very visibly pregnant girlfriend is going to raise some implicit questions for me going forward.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Life is difficult for Sigrun. :smith:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So, following this LP inspired me to go back and replay Wolf 2009, and uh...

(couldn't get a screenshot in game, had to resort to youtube)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Life is less difficult for Sigrun. :unsmith:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

berryjon posted:

What surprises me is that everyone insists on using BJ's full name. Or his nickname.

Of course, given that Wolf2009 admits to the events of the previous games, and this game is the latest in this series, it means that this isn't the first time that the spoiler character and BJ have met.

Yeah I was going to ask: didn't BJ kill Hitler in the first game?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kinda weird that the game gives you so many awesome big guns and never seems to give you a scenario where it makes sense to use them. You got the supergun and used it, like, once on a set piece designed to make it look cool and after that it was pointless. :sad:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nalesh posted:

How grace treats Sigrun is how you get a traitor.

Life is difficult for Sigrun again. :smith:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

So during the final mission on the Ausmerzer she's going to betray them, right?

I'm rooting for "it looks like it but it's actually a triple cross to prove she's not a Nazi."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I still want to know who the Mecha-Hitler from the original game is given that Hitler's apparently still around. Or maybe it's the same Hitler revived by Nazi science-sorcery and that's why he's really so obsessed with BJ.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Not sure that BJ actually routinely kills people who look like they could play Wagner's Brunhilde.

Like, after all the heavily armored stormtroopers and sociopath-chic commanders, she's a little hard to take seriously as a Nazi who needs to be put down right away.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Also it's pretty clear from the first time he's seen her that Sigrun is nowhere near the standard Nazi template. Meanwhile, from everything else that we've seen of the Third Reich, it's walking, cancerous, pox-ridden assdicks all the way down from the Fuhrer on down. Basically BJ shows Sigrun basic human decency because she's capable of showing basic human decency. The other Nazis aren't even capable of doing that to each other under most circumstances.

Also I think the fact that her mom is pretty abusive to her probably engenders a lot of sympathy in BJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I forgot how cringe BJ's rambling to Caroline about wings and glory was.

• Locked thread