Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I get the feeling this isn't a thick book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

I get the feeling this isn't a thick book.

Come on, with material like this?

Lord Aberdeen posted:

A lady remarked to a former bishop of London on one occasion "Oh! Bishop, I want to tell you something very remarkable. An aunt of mine had arranged to make a voyage in a certain steamer, but at the last moment she had to give up the trip; and that steamer was wrecked; wasn't it a mercy she did not go in it?"

"Well, but," replied the bishop, "I don't know your aunt."

Dude coulda written for Readers Digest.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've wanted the stupid Mysteries of the Unknown Time-Life book series ever since I saw the commercials as a kid. Sadly, this is the only one I have:

Oh my God, my stepfather has this set and it is amazing, you need to track them all down. I wonder if I can dig them out here.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Gotta love the late Seventies:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I mentioned the odd publications put out by Loompanics and Paladin Press earlier. Here are pictures of a bunch more:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
All of those are great. I would read pretty much any of them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gutter Phoenix posted:

You Can't Win by Jack Black

This is a reprint from a tiny imprint called NABAT books (published by AK Press) that specializes in weird old memoirs by outsiders and criminals. All of them are worth reading, but You Can't Win is the easily the best one.

I'm going to be real with you dude, I bought this book and read it. Do you know what book it reminded me of? Panzram: A Journal of Murder, which is largely Panzram's own letters along with some research corroborating the content. Panzram's deeds were considerably more newsworthy, so it admittedly it would be easier to verify his claims (i.e. killing a shitload of people). That said, they lived in almost exactly the same time period, committing (for the most part) almost exactly the same kind of crimes. And do you know what struck me? That Panzram, for all his strange grammar and roiling tone, seems to know what he is talking about and You Can't Win reads like a fairy tale. To be honest I'm kind of curious if the content of You Can't Win was ever validated or verified in any way, because it seems so heavily romanticized. In fact, it sort of reminded me of Gang Leader for a Day, which is a book that I am 100% certain is completely full of poo poo.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If there was a nuclear apocalypse I'd like to be at Gutter Phoenix's house, I'd just read till I croaked.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, read Pazram: A Journal of Murder. It's a great book about a man who clearly committed a poo poo-ton of appalling crimes, and his anger leaks out of every page, however he was completely devoted to his strange ethics, and the only reason he ever wrote down his story is that a guard who was nice to him asked him to. From then on he would make little beaded purses and stuff to send to the guard so he could sell them for money or give them to his girlfriend and stuff. It's just a whacko story but it's provably accurate. Also Panzram could spin a phrase.

quote:

I am sorry for only two things. These two things are I am sorry that I have mistreated some few animals in my life-time and I am sorry that I am unable to murder the whole damed human race.

welp!

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
this thread owns

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

One of the few true good GBS threads. Thanks matey.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I found this gem in the laundry room of a Campingplatz
Maybe :nws: (illustrated nipple): http://imgur.com/5TxW63m

Not nearly as crazy as all the stuff OP has dug up of course.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CopperHound posted:

I found this gem in the laundry room of a Campingplatz
Maybe :nws: (illustrated nipple): http://imgur.com/5TxW63m

Not nearly as crazy as all the stuff OP has dug up of course.

There are so many more! Longarm was a series of adult Western novels that chronicled the adventures of U.S. Deputy Marshal Curtis Long. The series ran from 1978 to 2015 and there were over 450 installments

Witness a sample of Tabor Evan's deathless prose:

Longarm and the Deadly Deadman posted:

Longarm was able to enjoy Ramona longer, and wilder, as Carlota cuddled close to kiss Ramona passionately on the mouth and finger Longarm's rear end as he long-donged her sister.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Props to the guy, I'm laughing and I didn't even open the book

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The Black Samurai was more like a blaxploitation ninja. Lots of ethnic slurs, Kung fu, and stereotypical Japanese cultural references. I've read a couple and they're a guilty pleasure. Especially The Warlock because who doesn't love Satanic sex midgets??

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

Now I regret not cracking the book open and capturing the German equivalent.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

There was even a film!

https://youtu.be/Ygv7qp9QdOs

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
More remnants of mid-Seventies 'culture':

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

My great-aunt gave me this book when I was small:

I miss it. Slug Signorino is a weird artist.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I have a bunch of these dumb things.

There's some really gross stuff in them too. Beets with Cream Cheese Sauce. Baked Grapefruit (you nuke a grapefruit with sour cream on top of it), stuff like that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I love these trashy paperback cover arts I have to say, they are wildly more effective than modern cover art at just making you want to pick up and open the book even when they are essentially all the same poo poo and it’s obvious the book is terrible.

I can’t the post where someone posted The Iron Dream but that’s a legitimately amazing book. Can’t say much more without spoilers.

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.
A few months ago I stumbled upon the fascinating "Science Fiction Handbook for Readers and Writers" by George S. Elrick, and it is a GEM. Not only is the writing endearingly awkward, but Mr. Elrick was kind enough to illustrate several of the concepts himself.

I have a few dozen of my favorites scanned. Here are three examples:

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Trump has never looked happier

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JnnyThndrs posted:

Citizen's Band was on Netflix a few years back. I can't say I remember anything about it because I was probably drunk when I watched it.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Here are a bunch of books about disasters at sea, usually after encounters with angry whales. Most of them are first-person accounts from people who survived for extended periods in small life rafts. Seriously, don't screw around in the vicinity of whales because they are smart, huge, and will gently caress your poo poo (and ship) up.

The Wreck of the Whaleship Essex by Owen Chase

This book inspired Herman Melville to write Moby Dick.

The Loss of the Ship Essex, Sunk By a Whale by Owen Chase and Thomas Nickerson

This is a reprint of Owen Chase's account, along with one by first-mate Thomas Nickerson that had only existed in manuscript form until it was discovered sometime in the 1980's.

Staying Alive! by Maurice and Marilyn Bailey

Adrift by Steven Callahan

Survive the Savage Sea by Dougal Robertson

Almost Too Late by Elmo Wortman

Sole Survivor by Ruthanne Lum McCunn

Shipwrecked! by Evan L. Balkan

This one looks cheap and cheesy, but it was clearly a labor of love for the author and has a ton of obscure stories and even more obscure sources. I actually bought it because it was the only book I could find that listed the sources for some weird story I'd heard about, although I can't remember which of the stories that was now.

Kingdom of the Octopus by Frank W. Lane

This is the only book I know of that has a source on the story of a giant squid attacking sailors in a life boat after their ship was sunk during World War II.

Unrelated, but it seems like as good a time as any to post this one:

Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition by B.R. Burg

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Pick posted:

I'm going to be real with you dude, I bought this book and read it. Do you know what book it reminded me of? Panzram: A Journal of Murder, which is largely Panzram's own letters along with some research corroborating the content. Panzram's deeds were considerably more newsworthy, so it admittedly it would be easier to verify his claims (i.e. killing a shitload of people). That said, they lived in almost exactly the same time period, committing (for the most part) almost exactly the same kind of crimes. And do you know what struck me? That Panzram, for all his strange grammar and roiling tone, seems to know what he is talking about and You Can't Win reads like a fairy tale. To be honest I'm kind of curious if the content of You Can't Win was ever validated or verified in any way, because it seems so heavily romanticized. In fact, it sort of reminded me of Gang Leader for a Day, which is a book that I am 100% certain is completely full of poo poo.

What about You Can't Win struck you as romanticized? It's not like being a thief works out terribly well for Jack.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

genesplicer posted:

A book, published in the 1930s...

While some of these books may have been legitimate attempts to understand "aberrant behavior", most of them were thinly-veiled boner fuel, designed to hide the titillating material under a varnish of science.

And a couple of pseudoscientific books from the mid 1800s

I give you Phrenology! This was the "science" that stated we could determine your personality by studying the bumps on your skull.

I would like to read both of these. I'll have to check archive.org to see if they have scans of either of them.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

Oh my God, my stepfather has this set and it is amazing, you need to track them all down. I wonder if I can dig them out here.

I will definitely post pictures when my set arrives.

Pick posted:

It's been awhile since I've read the book, but I don't remember there being anything that stood out to me as being too far-fetched. Honestly, it wouldn't change my opinion of the book at all if it turned out to be completely fabricated. I like it because it's a good book, not because it's a true story.

I'm familiar with that Panzram book and have a pdf of his short memoir somewhere, but I've never read either of them.

This is sort of unrelated, but I am reminded of this book of almost unbelievable stories from John Muir. I don't doubt that they actually happened. He probably downplayed the truth of his crazy adventures. John Muir was an amazing guy. And a madman.

Pththya-lyi posted:

There are so many more! Longarm was a series of adult Western novels that chronicled the adventures of U.S. Deputy Marshal Curtis Long. The series ran from 1978 to 2015 and there were over 450 installments

Labes for days posted:

The Black Samurai was more like a blaxploitation ninja. Lots of ethnic slurs, Kung fu, and stereotypical Japanese cultural references. I've read a couple and they're a guilty pleasure. Especially The Warlock because who doesn't love Satanic sex midgets??

Holy poo poo, I need to find all of these ASAP!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

Oh man, these are right up my alley. I don't have any of them, but I am going to do my best to change that, post-haste. Thanks for making me aware that these exist!!

Pastry of the Year posted:

My great-aunt gave me this book when I was small:

I miss it. Slug Signorino is a weird artist.

Gonna look for this one too.

Canned Panda posted:

There's some really gross stuff in them too. Beets with Cream Cheese Sauce. Baked Grapefruit (you nuke a grapefruit with sour cream on top of it), stuff like that.

I love gross old cookbooks. I used to have a bunch of those 1970's menu cards with pictures and recipes of disgusting food, but I think I gave them away during a massive purge of my belongings about eight years ago. So many regrets about that decision...

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The Radioactive Boy Scout by Ken Silverstein

This was originally an article in Harper's Magazine, later expanded into a full book. It tells the tale of David Hahn, a Michigan eagle scout who tried to build a nuclear reactor in his mother's backyard and got the whole neighborhood classified as a hazardous superfund site!

He died last year, and although a lot of people speculated it was due to radiation poison, it turned out he drank himself to death. He had a lot of problems in later life, was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder, and had a history of substance abuse. His mom also had issues and committed suicide.

This article has some interesting pictures and information:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-100-years.html

This page from a deleted science blog has some theories on his prominent facial lesions, as well as comments from people who claimed to know him:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140808060135/http://depletedcranium.com/the-radioactive-boyscout-strikes-again/

A man claiming to be David Hahn comments extensively in this article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140808083515/http://www.damninteresting.com/smoke-detectors-and-a-radioactive-boyscout/

Anyway, it's a really sad story, but also fascinating.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Shoshaman by Arai Shinya

This is an odd one. It is a Japanese business novel and tells the story of a guy who follows his dream of opening the best goddamn hamburger restaurant in Japan. I can't really express why the concept is so strange as the plot to a novel other than to say that it is the most uniquely Japanese book I can imagine. I went along with my girlfriend when she had to go on a work trip to Tokyo two months ago, and I thought of this book repeatedly during our week long visit.

I discovered this book about twenty years ago when it was required reading in a community college comparative world history class. The professor was a brilliant and crazy man who assigned all sorts of weird texts to give students a taste of what other cultures are like. I have to say, Shoshaman was an inspired choice to explain what modern Japan is like.

That guy was the best teacher I've ever had in my life. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude for introducing me to Diogenes the Cynic, the Epic of Gilgamesh, and countless obscure historical texts. At one point I even planned to get a Ph.D in ancient history myself, but I could never justify pissing away so much time and money on a college education when I could just as easily read books on my own. Probably not a smart choice, but it (eventually) worked out for me.

Anyway, that professor ended up publishing this book in the 90's. It is chock full of his nutty and erudite ideas that inspired me so much as a nineteen year old (and continue to do so as a world-weary 40-year old geezer).

Syncretism in the West: Pico's 900 Theses by Steve Farmer

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Turmoil in the Toybox by Phil Phillips

He-Man and the Care Bears are going to drag your child to Hell.

I discovered this book at some point in the past year after seeing this hilarious Christian scare film on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnjdq32u-MU

1994? by Harold Camping

I don't want to frighten anyone, but according to this book the world is going to end in 1994. Repent now before it's too late!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

More Than Earthlings: an astronaut's thoughts for Christ-centered living by James B. Irwin

Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopaedia (vols. 1-3)

Here are a bunch of miscellaneous books that I took pictures of when I started the thread. I want to clear them from my desktop before I start taking more pictures.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Canned Panda posted:

I took a microwave cooking class in highschool (no joke) and my group somehow managed to make an absolutely delicious pumpkin parfait somehow, like layered and everything, and nobody would try it because we were in 9th grade and the idea of a pumpkin parfait was too weird for them. I made that thing for years after that cause it was basically the only somewhat impressive thing I could make

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jim Barris posted:

What about You Can't Win struck you as romanticized? It's not like being a thief works out terribly well for Jack.

Everything that happens has a clear arc and moral and everything. The last thing his father ever says to him is poignant. He has a lovely say with a prostitute who he then saves in a daring rescue, after she artfully outlines every aspect of how a brothel works. The man who first guides him is struck down tragically and dramatically, but when he goes to jail over ~one missed piece of evidence~, someone who had respected his noble friend (for there is a Code) steps in and yeah it just generally reads like a novel, in large part because everything is so purposeful. I am not saying it's for sure fake (like Gang Leader for a Day), and I wouldn't be surprised if he had been a burglar, but I recommend you read Panzram AJOM and then re-read You Can't Win and see the difference in how events unfold.

I think he was probably just a generic thief and/or burglar but anything more than "I stole stuff and sometimes I got nicked and sometimes I didn't, p.s. prison sucks" feels ramped.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopaedia (vols. 1-3)

have these. wrt Russia ...

cover art by ralph steadman, best known for his Fear and Loathing artwork. got this for a penny a number of years ago, it’s a Marxist critique of the World Bank, IMF and other western aide programs and talks about some of the fuckery in Latin America. here is an excerpt from a USAID discussion paper, Measures to ensure the effective use of aid 1966:

quote:

AID has increasingly recognized that economic aid can promote development not simply by supplementing the host country’s limited capital and technical resources but also by exerting influence on host country policies and programmes. As we have become aware of aid’s potential leverage role, we have experimented with techniques for exercising such leverage more effectively

that’s pretty loving clear lol. main ideas are still relevant today when considering the motivations of international aid, and that it is never unconditional

e,
nothing too weird but on theme and a classic

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 17, 2017

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

My 32-volume set of Mysteries of the Unknown arrived!

I also picked up a few things in the miscellaneous section of a Half-Price Books this morning. $13 for all seven of these.

These two will go nicely next to my Ollie North Iran-Contra Scandal coloring book (which I will post a picture of at some point):

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As a child, my dad would tell me it was bedtime by saying "Bedtime for Bonzo!" and as a child I had no idea wtf he was talking about or that he was referring to me as a chimpanzee that used to hang out with ronald reagan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Pick posted:

As a child, my dad would tell me it was bedtime by saying "Bedtime for Bonzo!" and as a child I had no idea wtf he was talking about or that he was referring to me as a chimpanzee that used to hang out with ronald reagan

:same:, what will be the dated bedtime reference for this generation's children?