Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Just found this thread. Oh boy do I have some things I can contribute. Starting here, because I just walked into my kitchen, saw it, and thought "yeah, that's as good a place as any":

It's a community cookbook, published by the Cleveland chapter of an association of retired United flight attendants.

Chose this recipe just because it came with clip art. Very typical of the recipes in this book (and in all community cookbooks, in the US, ever).

----

Of course the ads are worth looking at.

This one has my favorite detail: STOUFFERS RESTAURANT - INN DIVISION OF LITTON INDUSTRIES. This was back when it was cool to brag about being a mega-conglomerate, vs. today's tactic of pretending to be two kids in a van when you're actually a business unit of Dow Chemical. This also helps put an upper bound on the date of this book, as Litton sold Stouffer's to Nestle in 1973.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Awesome!!!!!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Those ads are great; they reminds me of the ads you'd see in the back of old yearbooks (1970s/80s).

mdxi posted:

Just found this thread. Oh boy do I have some things I can contribute. Starting here, because I just walked into my kitchen, saw it, and thought "yeah, that's as good a place as any":

I kind of miss this art style; it used to be ubiquitous for anything being sold to women: hair products, feminine hygiene, makeup, you name it.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Huh. Not only is Heinin’s is still a major grocery store in town, but at least two of those locations are still going 40 years later. What a weird blast from the past.

To those wondering why a frozen foods brand would own a strip club, Stouffer’s used to be a kind of fancy pants restaurant. They started selling frozen versions of their meals for people to take home, and it went from there.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I have a lot of thesauruses (and other books on language). I added one to my collection this week, a 1922 Roget's. To my delight -- and not mentioned by the seller -- it's signed by the owner, and inscribed!

Not by Roget, of course, as he had been dead for more than 50 years when this book was given as a gift. Inscribed by the person who gave it.

The owner's signature

The inscription. Maybe I just need to be in horny jail, but I can't help but read this as a little saucy. Sadly, the gift-giver did not include their name.

Also I love the little doodle of what I interpret as a woman in a broad-brimmed hat with a feather, 1890s style, but after doing the tiniest bit of "research", maybe it's meant to be more like this:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

for the life of me I can't figure out the last word in that inscription

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think it's "suthing," a corruption of "something." (As "smol" is to "small")

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Heath posted:

I think it's "suthing," a corruption of "something." (As "smol" is to "small")

That was my read as well. As much credit as it gets for it, the internet did not invent slangy, faddish speech and writing styles, and the jazz age was particularly full of it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I hope Gutter Phoenix comes back some day. In the meantime, I picked this up at a church sale today.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wa27 posted:

I hope Gutter Phoenix comes back some day. In the meantime, I picked this up at a church sale today.

is this old enough it has bonesetting instructions in it

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A few odd bits from clearing out my grandparent's house:

From the mid 50's, it's quite possible this was quietly handed over by the (CofE) church when they got married

Things moved on a bit:

Honestly, the advice is generally better than I would have thought from such a coyly named chapter. Lots of views that are commonly accepted now but weren't necessarily universal at the time and even some description of how things should go. God sticks to uniting souls and leaves the practical stuff to the adults. It's immoral to stay on birth control forever, though.

Just liked this guy on the cover:

From a scrap book that was entirely clippings about the royal family:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Dropping by to shill for my paranormal book review blog: https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/

Some recent covers, click to embiggen:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Desert Bus posted:

I'm more into tracking dumb fantasy/sci fi tropes from like early biblical type poo poo to bros Grimm to Lord Dunsany/Verne/Poe etc to the 70's pulp explosion to modern high fantasy/space opera/cyberpunk. I may not share your particular enthusiasm, but I get it lol. No doubt if I read a bunch of your books i'd be all "OH LOOKIT THIS NEAT THEME CLEARLY THEY WERE READING...."

But this should be in the book thread probably whoops. Thought this was that. My bad but i'm not going to fix my mistake either.

tossing this quote into book thread, there's a great intersection of Lovecraft and "nonfiction" paranormal writings which started to bubble up in the 50s with reprints of his work, taking Lovecraft's alien gods as fact and connecting them to UFOs/the occult. Once von Daniken published his Chariots of the Gods the formula was cemented. The Cult of Alien Gods by Jason Colavito is a good read on the subject.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

tossing this quote into book thread, there's a great intersection of Lovecraft and "nonfiction" paranormal writings which started to bubble up in the 50s with reprints of his work, taking Lovecraft's alien gods as fact and connecting them to UFOs/the occult. Once von Daniken published his Chariots of the Gods the formula was cemented. The Cult of Alien Gods by Jason Colavito is a good read on the subject.

One of my favorite authors that no one else has ever heard of is William Browning Spencer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Browning_Spencer

One of his novels is well:

https://www.amazon.com/Resume-Monsters-William-Browning-Spencer/dp/1565049136

"Philip Kenan is battling a series of bad jobs - and the monsters from H. P. Lovecraft's fiction go with him.
Philip's first confrontation with the monsters set in motion a bizarre chain of events that finally sent his girlfriend Amelia packing. Now the battle rages from the dank, cramped sweatshop of Philip's former place of employment, Ralph's One-Day Resumes, to the gleaming, deadly corridors of corporate giant Pelidyne. Can he save Amelia this time, or will the monsters triumph and consign all humanity to an existence of grim servitude?"

I know I have Zod Wallop and maybe another of his books on my shelves? I think most of it was published by White Wolf back in the day, and you're either about to go "Who?" or "Yeah that makes sense."

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I only know White Wolf by reputation but that's enough, lol.

Some more covers, of an abominable nature:

Eric Norman was a pseudonym Smith and frequent collaborator Brad Steiger shared - in this case it was Steiger writing solo under the name

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

My charity shop find this weekend, It's a 3rd edition from 1930. When I saw it in the basket beneath a Tom Clancy I made a noise that caused a nearby child to back away from me. How it ended up in Beijing is a mystery.
If you want to read it, and you do, it's online here: https://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/carp/index.html

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
T.W. Hard is possibly the greatest pen name of all time, maybe tied with Cordwainer Bird I guess.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Spotted at Chitose Public Library.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I have, I think for a year or so, said to myself that I'm going to post here, but I'm a terminal lurker.

Been going through our books lately and we definitely have a collection of oddball books because they're odd and wonderful.

Here are a few of mine.

A 1970's book for children that I'm sure sealed the fate of turtles under a certain size being barred from sale except to educators:

Random thrift find, from the 50's

A fun and scary thrift find, a list of organizations and publications deemed subversive to the US government from 1951

A 1950 booklet-

A tiny little booklet that is little more than 'bible scholar chick tracting' without the illustrations, But I love the cover and the size, it's about 5"x3"

This absolute banger from 1964 I found while I was still in a LEO job. Far more compassionate than current standards, even if the language is of the era.

And here is my unusual rabbit hole- terrible books about Indigenous Americans.

I am indigenous and have an extremely fraught relationship with it, I may have written a little about it in PMF, and if I haven't already I should post some of it. It's messy, it's mentally taxing.

But I love, love love, terrible books about southwest Native Americans because it's writing about who I am and who I grew up knowing and being. It's important for me to collect these things that are utterly cringe-inducing.

This is a 60's reprint of a 50's boy scout merit badge book on "Indian Lore"

This is a personal favorite of mine- a booklet originally copyrighted in 1949, this one is from the late 50s.

My grandparents didn't even get the ability to vote in reality without massive roadblocks until 1965. Think about that when looking at these-

I recently learned about- and was horrified by, a book published in 1922 that my great grandmother contributed to, but it's in regards to my own cultural identity, and I'm not going to make others consider unless people are interested in that and this survivor of a thread.

Feels good to finally post here.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Droogie posted:

I recently learned about- and was horrified by, a book published in 1922 that my great grandmother contributed to, but it's in regards to my own cultural identity, and I'm not going to make others consider unless people are interested in that and this survivor of a thread.

Thanks for posting and I'm interested, very much.

This image looks positively subversive nowadays, like deliberate protest art

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Droogie posted:

I have, I think for a year or so, said to myself that I'm going to post here, but I'm a terminal lurker.

Been going through our books lately and we definitely have a collection of oddball books because they're odd and wonderful.

Here are a few of mine.

A 1970's book for children that I'm sure sealed the fate of turtles under a certain size being barred from sale except to educators:

A fun and scary thrift find, a list of organizations and publications deemed subversive to the US government from 1951

A 1950 booklet-

A tiny little booklet that is little more than 'bible scholar chick tracting' without the illustrations, But I love the cover and the size, it's about 5"x3"

This absolute banger from 1964 I found while I was still in a LEO job. Far more compassionate than current standards, even if the language is of the era.

I am indigenous and have an extremely fraught relationship with it, I may have written a little about it in PMF, and if I haven't already I should post some of it. It's messy, it's mentally taxing.

But I love, love love, terrible books about southwest Native Americans because it's writing about who I am and who I grew up knowing and being. It's important for me to collect these things that are utterly cringe-inducing.

This is a personal favorite of mine- a booklet originally copyrighted in 1949, this one is from the late 50s.

My grandparents didn't even get the ability to vote in reality without massive roadblocks until 1965. Think about that when looking at these-

drat those are all awesome! I love old government publications, though I've only found a few interesting ones over the years.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Droogie posted:

Here are a few of mine.

A 1950 booklet-

These are all awesome (and terrible). I have a fascination with weird old racist books like this, thanks for posting them. (Indian Lore is still a merit badge btw, probably still awful. Boy Scouts USA is infested with hokey fake Indigenous stuff)

yaffle fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 9, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
That's a really cool post. I'd love to see any more you have to share from what must be a fascinating collection

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Thanks for posting and I'm interested, very much.

Dope, let's talk about an old book and cultural identity. This is going to be largely :words: and I don't mean to hijack here, but I promise it's about a book.

I'm lucky enough that for whatever time is left, both of my mother's parents are still with us, in their mid 90's. That comes with a level of care that we try to split up as much as we can, and on one of my nights to make them dinner a couple weeks ago, some extended family were unexpectedly visiting them. They had brought with them a book that they wanted to show my grandparents, a collection of Native American folk tales and children's stories collected starting around the 1890's and published in 1922 called "Tay Tay's Tales."

This was significant because according to them, my great grandmother was one of a group that contributed a couple stories to the book. My great grandmother I was also lucky enough to have in my life for a significant amount of time, she passed in 2006 and was well over 100.

Whether any of this is true or not is somewhat immaterial- In current terms, I'm a bit thirsty for stories from my tribe and pueblo for a few reasons.

For one, my family has always had a bit of a rocky relationship with the the tribe and tribal government for various dumb reasons, the oldest known being that my great grandmother dared to be christian rather than catholic (Catholicism and native religions have their own very odd, messy intertwining) and this was, at the time a whippable offense. My Grandfather at one time dared to build a youth center (deemed too modern), my own mother was threatened for entering her pottery in art shows and teaching pottery techniques, and I was threatened with disenrollment and legal action (all hollow intimidation tactics) for painting art that was deemed "cultural property." This is by way of saying we're very much so black sheep.

Second, my tribe, Jemez (hay-mess or hay-miz) is one of the most insular and tight-lipped in the region, so much so that the language, Towa, has no written component. Intentionally. The language is dying and has been for some time. So stories and tales are hard to come by unless you're lucky enough to be close enough to have someone tell you.

For these reasons and more, I feel like I have struggled my entire life to reach out and form a meaningful connection to my own culture, and it just pushes back with force. I have not always been an outside observer, I have my own dance regalia and have participated in sacred dances, body stained with clay and paint and turquoise, a rhythmic thrum of shells and bells competing with gourd rattles.

So when I heard that my Great Grandmother (may have) contributed to this book a tale from my pueblo, I looked it up immediately. Luckily, there are still modern versions available as well as a few OG hardbacks if I desire. It also appears that someone had web 1.0 digitized it here.

So when I found the two stories that were contributed from Jemez, my heart sank to see they were the shortest possible stories, and that they feel like they were written AT me from 100 years ago. Part of the introduction reminds us, from 1922, that "the tales are not nearly so cruel to the Amerind mind as they seem to us." and "... There is another item of primitive psychology which renders tales innocuous to the tribal mind, and that is the idea of physical life, especially for animals, as a kind of masquerade, something that can be put on and off at will."

So because they are so short, I want to share with y'all the stories from my pueblo, the first ending with an unironic use of "many moons":

The Deer and the Coyote, Jemez Pueblo

Wen-ter – once upon a time – long ago, six deer were lying in the sand talking and resting.

"Let us go up on the mountain top and dance," suggested one of the deer .

"All right," said the others, and they went to a broad sandy place on the mountain top and began to dance and sing:

We are hap-py, hap-py, hap-py, hap-py hap-py.
We are hap-py, hap-py, hap-py, hap-py hap-py, we!
We dance and sing joy-ful-ly - It is spring - hay, hay!

Mr. Coyote heard the deer singing, so he ran up on the mountain.

"Good-day, Messrs. Deer, how happy and cheerful you sound. Let me dance with you."

"I am sorry," replied the Chief of the Deer, "but nobody can dance with us who hasn't antlers on his head."

"Won't you make me some antlers, so that I can dance?" asked Mr. Coyote.

"Certainly, I can do that," replied Deer-Chief. So he took a sharp stone and sharpened the ends of two sticks; and then he hammered the sharp ends of the sticks into the coyote's head to make antlers for him.

Then Mr. Coyote joined in the dance, expecting very soon to grab one of the little deer and run away with it; but he only danced around the circle once before he dropped in a faint from the sticks in his head.

He rolled over and over down the mountain side until he was covered with bruises, and he had to rub himself with herbs for many moons.

---

And the second, which really hits close to home for me, mentally:

The Rabbit and the Crow, Jemez Pueblo

Once upon a time a rabbit lived all alone. Some times he felt very lonely. One day when he was lonely he picked up his drum and went outside to sing. He sang:

Sadness, sad-ness go a-way. Tra-a-la-a-la, go a-way

A crow was flying near by and heard Mr. Rabbit singing and beating his drum. He flew down at once:

"That drum annoys me, Mr. Rabbit. You shall not beat it," said Mr. Crow. Then he caught Mr. Rabbit's right arm, pulled it out and ate it.

Next day Mr. Rabbit came out of his hole and beat the drum with his left arm as he sang his song.

The crow heard him again. He flew down and pulled out Mr. Rabbit's left arm and ate that up.

"I told you not to beat that drum," he said.

On the third day Mr. Rabbit beat the drum with his right foot, and Mr. Crow flew down and ate his right foot up. And on the fourth day he ate up the rabbit's left foot.

So the fifth day Mr. Rabbit came out to sing. He beat the drum with his head. Immediately Mr. Crow heard him and flew down. He bit off Mr. Rabbit's head and ate it; and then he picked up what was left of poor Mr. Rabbit and carried him up to his baby crows in the nest.

---

The End.

Thanks for coming with me on an interpersonal journey about some animal tales in an old book making me feel bad.

Have a bonus tiny image of a limbless rabbit beating a drum with his face.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Droogie posted:

The Rabbit and the Crow, Jemez Pueblo

Have a bonus tiny image of a limbless rabbit beating a drum with his face.

:catstare:

That's incredible though, thanks for taking the time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i don't generally post just to say "that's some good posting right there" but, yeah, good stuff

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, that is heavy stuff. I am really feeling that rabbit playing the drum with his face

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Droogie posted:

Dope, let's talk about an old book and cultural identity. This is going to be largely :words: and I don't mean to hijack here, but I promise it's about a book.

You've been on SA for over 15 years and somehow haven't learned that kickass deep dive posts about neat stuff are like crack to most of the userbase. :justpost:

Thanks for writing that out!

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I've been frequenting and lurking since 2001, and I have always had a difficult time posting, but whenever I post anything more than a paragraph, it always goes well. I shouldn't be surprised but here we are.

I've written more before about my struggles with my culture before. It's weird because it's a lonely as hell experience, both being culturally ostracized and writing anything about it.

That's all by way of saying I've loved this thread and think it's great. Weird books are the best.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Droogie posted:

I've been frequenting and lurking since 2001, and I have always had a difficult time posting, but whenever I post anything more than a paragraph, it always goes well. I shouldn't be surprised but here we are.

I've written more before about my struggles with my culture before. It's weird because it's a lonely as hell experience, both being culturally ostracized and writing anything about it.

That's all by way of saying I've loved this thread and think it's great. Weird books are the best.

A lot of us have our own unique struggles and while we may not understand yours fully? I'd personally rather be educated than not, and you have a nice, clear, engaging writing style. [insert bad joke about how native people are just better story tellers]

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hexwren posted:

i don't generally post just to say "that's some good posting right there" but, yeah, good stuff

It’s like the wholly opposite of a shitpost…and I know it’s probably translation, but the thought of a Native singing “Tra-la-la-la” made me do a double take in the book thread 🥰. Poor mister (headless, limbless) rabbit…🐰

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

The best post on this page.

Followed closely by the Bigfoot books.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

honestly that would be interesting because back in the good old gilded age up until basicaly the 60s, you could be jammed in an asylum for anything.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I immediately sent this to my mom who’s big into family history. I would not be surprised if she’s looking up a copy to buy.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

This is the kind of thing only the British can get away with.