Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Pretty sure I have this edition too. I collect various versions of Alice, and my favorite by far is an early edition of The Annotated Alice. There've been new editions published since then with more annotations added, but at the time the first Annotated volume came out, it was the most comprehensive book of Alice information available.

Just catching up with this thread, and yeah, I've got a couple of copies of The Annotated Alice - an old hardback with a brown dust jacket, and a modern large-format red hardback.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

The edition I really want is one that my college had, which they used for display only and never loaned out. Because it was on display in a glass case, opened to a page somewhere in the middle, I never did get a chance to see the cover and find out what that edition was called, but it was a version of Alice printed in Lewis Carroll's handwriting and using his original illustrations.

I think you're looking for Alice's Adventures Underground - this is the edition I have. Might be out of print, but you should be able to find a copy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alices-Adv...81926065&sr=8-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I've just moved house and the move has uncovered a lot of books from my youth that I'd almost forgotten about, so here's a little post about one of the odder examples.

Musrum, by Eric Thacker and Anthony Earnshaw.

Wikipedia tells me that Earnshaw was a self-educated working class man from Leeds, England, who ended up a teacher at several Yorkshire schools. Musrum is a very odd book - Wikipedia says "In 1968 Earnshaw collaborated with Thacker on an illustrated novel, Musrum, which was not commercially successful, but has become a cult classic. The book is a fantasy, peppered with aphorisms ("Sudden prayers make God jump"), and tells the story of the title character's kingdom and of his battle with the nefarious Weedking."

It's absurdist stuff, but the thing that caught my eye a couple of decades ago, the thing that made me buy the book, is the illustrations. Page after page of variations on themes - wolves, castles, dressing tables (!).

So many good tattoo designs!

There's a sequel, too, if anyone's interested?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
My partner has just moved in and brought a bunch of interesting books, some of which I'll share here, I think.

She was given this, new, in the early-ish 1970s, and her copy is pretty... used. But I do like Robert Crumb. I don't think that, at 6-y-o, she knew what a Fi e Joint Soup is.