Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

china bot posted:

greetings fellow codexican

you're extremely cute china bot, good work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gutter Phoenix posted:

You Can't Win by Jack Black

This is a reprint from a tiny imprint called NABAT books (published by AK Press) that specializes in weird old memoirs by outsiders and criminals. All of them are worth reading, but You Can't Win is the easily the best one.

I'm going to be real with you dude, I bought this book and read it. Do you know what book it reminded me of? Panzram: A Journal of Murder, which is largely Panzram's own letters along with some research corroborating the content. Panzram's deeds were considerably more newsworthy, so it admittedly it would be easier to verify his claims (i.e. killing a shitload of people). That said, they lived in almost exactly the same time period, committing (for the most part) almost exactly the same kind of crimes. And do you know what struck me? That Panzram, for all his strange grammar and roiling tone, seems to know what he is talking about and You Can't Win reads like a fairy tale. To be honest I'm kind of curious if the content of You Can't Win was ever validated or verified in any way, because it seems so heavily romanticized. In fact, it sort of reminded me of Gang Leader for a Day, which is a book that I am 100% certain is completely full of poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, read Pazram: A Journal of Murder. It's a great book about a man who clearly committed a poo poo-ton of appalling crimes, and his anger leaks out of every page, however he was completely devoted to his strange ethics, and the only reason he ever wrote down his story is that a guard who was nice to him asked him to. From then on he would make little beaded purses and stuff to send to the guard so he could sell them for money or give them to his girlfriend and stuff. It's just a whacko story but it's provably accurate. Also Panzram could spin a phrase.

quote:

I am sorry for only two things. These two things are I am sorry that I have mistreated some few animals in my life-time and I am sorry that I am unable to murder the whole damed human race.

welp!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jim Barris posted:

What about You Can't Win struck you as romanticized? It's not like being a thief works out terribly well for Jack.

Everything that happens has a clear arc and moral and everything. The last thing his father ever says to him is poignant. He has a lovely say with a prostitute who he then saves in a daring rescue, after she artfully outlines every aspect of how a brothel works. The man who first guides him is struck down tragically and dramatically, but when he goes to jail over ~one missed piece of evidence~, someone who had respected his noble friend (for there is a Code) steps in and yeah it just generally reads like a novel, in large part because everything is so purposeful. I am not saying it's for sure fake (like Gang Leader for a Day), and I wouldn't be surprised if he had been a burglar, but I recommend you read Panzram AJOM and then re-read You Can't Win and see the difference in how events unfold.

I think he was probably just a generic thief and/or burglar but anything more than "I stole stuff and sometimes I got nicked and sometimes I didn't, p.s. prison sucks" feels ramped.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As a child, my dad would tell me it was bedtime by saying "Bedtime for Bonzo!" and as a child I had no idea wtf he was talking about or that he was referring to me as a chimpanzee that used to hang out with ronald reagan

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Always scan cat books. they may be rarer than you think.

I have three of the four Space Cat books, and even bargain-hunting I've never gotten one that cost me less than $50 (and those were lucky finds). The last one is like $220 anywhere :smithicide:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

I googled this and have no idea what you're talking about unless you're literally buying stores called Space Cat Books for a pittance

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

You should know Space Cat, Flyball. Is did you get your username elsewhere? boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nice, okay, good. we're cool. :cabot: