Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
No actually this is the strangest and best book I own

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
You Can't Win is the most american book I've ever read.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
All of those are great. I would read pretty much any of them.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Pick posted:

I'm going to be real with you dude, I bought this book and read it. Do you know what book it reminded me of? Panzram: A Journal of Murder, which is largely Panzram's own letters along with some research corroborating the content. Panzram's deeds were considerably more newsworthy, so it admittedly it would be easier to verify his claims (i.e. killing a shitload of people). That said, they lived in almost exactly the same time period, committing (for the most part) almost exactly the same kind of crimes. And do you know what struck me? That Panzram, for all his strange grammar and roiling tone, seems to know what he is talking about and You Can't Win reads like a fairy tale. To be honest I'm kind of curious if the content of You Can't Win was ever validated or verified in any way, because it seems so heavily romanticized. In fact, it sort of reminded me of Gang Leader for a Day, which is a book that I am 100% certain is completely full of poo poo.

What about You Can't Win struck you as romanticized? It's not like being a thief works out terribly well for Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
can you please please please post a scan or photo of a couple pages of "Great Theatrical Disasters"? I really want to know.