Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
dang dude, scan that hevans gate so it doesn't get so easily lost to posterity

I have a copy of prue that came out before copyright was a thing, i'll post some of it tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Bart Ehrman is a world-renowned scholar of ancient Christianity, and also writes a lot of great books on the subject aimed at the general public. I wasn't sure if I had this one, but for a mere dollar I was willing to take the risk. Turns out I do have it. Oh well, it's a good book. I'll give it to a friend.

This poo poo is fuckin nuts -- loving crazy poo poo.

"The Lord is like a shepherd who has 100 sheep. One of them went astray, which was the largest. He left the 99, he sought for that one until he found it. Having wearied himself, he says to that sheep: ‘I desire thee more than the 99.’"
Talking about how fasting and prayer mean nothing and accomplish nothing.
"Whoever does not hate his father and his mother, shall not be able to become a Disciple to me."
"I shall destroy this house, and no one will be able to rebuild it."
Talking about how if you don't "get it," like right now while you're still alive, you're gonna die and stay dead. (this one is super fuckin crazy and basically slam dunks the entire works / grace argument into the dumpster)

In the same book as the above have several warnings that are really weirdly constructed and are based around the concept things eating things and becoming what they ate, or the thing they ate becoming what ate it. Like if a lion eats a man it becomes a man. Talks about eating the dead or dying and being eaten by someone else. A lot of becoming dead and becoming alive in various ways, but drinking from Jesus' mouth gives eternal life. Like he's describing his literal words as salvation itself? Like if you just understand what he's saying you'll live forever?? And the beginning of the book flat out states that if you learn the meaning of his words you will have salvation. Really weirdly set up.

Like it's obviously extremely similar to the regular Jesus, but different enough to be really jarring. Hard edged jesus. Mean jesus. There's episodes where he's a kid and he makes clay doves and brings them to life and kills them like the Twilight Zone cornfield. There's parts where you think he's about to pull a Beatitudes but it's poo poo like "Woe to the hopeless! Woe to those who rely on things that will not happen! Woe to those who hope in the flesh, the prison that will perish! Woe to the *insert multiple increasingly complex condemnations*

Based on these other writings essentially an extremely large portion of what we think of as christianity was totally bent towards a completely different kind of message. There were a lot of other gospels and they all have a slightly alien character to them, just a weird cast to the whole thing. Dunno if it was actively done or just the weird poo poo was sorta cast aside, but it is for sure absolutely impossible to live any sort of "normal" life being the kind of christian depicted in a lot of these books.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's on amazon for like $5. I bought it

"Returned. Creepy in a way that isn't represented by the store page. Others may like, but it just wasn't for my family and I."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
man I could go for some ancient wisdom rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva