Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Holy poo poo, every illustration you posted is an avatar waiting to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

My dad had this book (in a different edition from either of these) and its sequel on the family-room bookshelves when I was a kid, and I picked one up when I was 8 or 9 and had a pretty weird surprise. Thankfully it was just baffling and not traumatizing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Skratte posted:

I don't know how many folks remember David Gonterman... Anyway my roommate gave me this for my birthday years ago. It's completely insane. The bad guy in it is named Ombacain, but Barack Obama is also a character in the book.

Hot drat. I knew Gonterman was self-publishing now, but this is the first I've heard of anyone buying his stuff. What inspired your roommate to this purchase?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Heath posted:

David Gonterman absolutely disproves the 10,000 hour rule because he has been drawing every single day of his life for literally decades and has not gotten even a little bit better.

You know the sayings about "everyone has X bad drawings/words in them?" David is a sink for those bad drawings/words. Every young writer or artist who's good out of the gate drops their quota on his head, and he has to keep getting them out. He's keeping the universe in balance, really.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

And here I thought nobody knew who they were or what they were doing!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hoop snakes have been my favorite weird cryptid/folklore monster for a while, but I only now learned about the death spike. God bless.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I like the alliteration in the chapter names for Part Two. Everyone not instantly down with Christ must be branded with his C, I guess?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

A lot of these Fighting Fantasy gamebooks had great covers. I was in third or fourth grade when I found this bad boy in the kids' books section of the local used bookstore:

Great gnarly inner artwork, too. Scary as hell for a kid, but I was hooked.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I really like that Oedipus Cycle cover.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I have a copy of this one! I assume it's insanely out of date, since it's from 1992, but the example sentences are worth the cost of admission.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I've always been fond of Jack London's adventure stories about drug-resistant gonorrhea. To Build a Groin Fire is a classic.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Oh, man, are those the tiny books they used to sell at supernatural checkout stands? I think I had the palm-reading one with the red cover when I was a deeply credulous child. Good times.

HULK STRUGGLE TO REMEMBER PUNY BANNER'S SAFEWORD

HULK SUSPECT THAT SETTING SAFEWORD WHILE PUNY BANNER AND MAINTAINING IT INTO SCENE AS HULK NOT A VERY GOOD IDEA

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I kind of want to make all those donut recipes head-to-head and see which Minnesotan grandma's cuisine reigns supreme.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I want to read the story of the woman with too many guns.

If you like mystery/crime, those Black Lizard collections are worth picking up. I've got their collection of locked-room mystery stories, and it's great. (And huge.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

This is some color and an absurd speech bubble away from being a Will Laren piece. I love it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm a fan of the person just stone-cold getting a glass of blood from the tap

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Aw, dang. I saw some prints from that edition at an Alice-in-Wonderland-themed art museum exhibit a few years ago, and I'm a little jealous of you for having a copy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Oh, man, are those last two gay erotic thrillers? I hadn't even realized that was a thing, although it makes perfect sense.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

This chameleon demon straight-up owns

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

D-Pad posted:

A 60s era Lord of the Rings collector's edition

My dad has that edition! It's a gorgeous book.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Pretty sure I have this edition too. I collect various versions of Alice, and my favorite by far is an early edition of The Annotated Alice. There've been new editions published since then with more annotations added, but at the time the first Annotated volume came out, it was the most comprehensive book of Alice information available.

I just picked up a copy of this a few days ago -- per the copyright page, it's the ninth printing of the first edition, printed in 1970. It's a paperback and a bit worn, and I may want a more current edition eventually, but I love Martin Gardner's work and am excited to dig into Alice-iana.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Oh no, Gutter Phoenix selling books when we already need to do a shelf purge of our own

oh no

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I just bought Mannix's two books from RE/Search (not the nice signed editions, but still). Looking forward to those!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I want to hang out with that gay-friendly Methodist parish from 1972. They sound nice!

(Also, "encouraging" gay people makes me think of them offering dating pep talks. Today's Sermon: Call That Dude You Met At The Club Last Weekend and Take Him Out For Brunch)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Goddamn, there's like one used copy of that for sale and it's like 60 GBP, which is a little rich for my blood at the moment. cuuuurse yoooou interneeeet

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I think I read the Zork tie-in book when I was a teenager. If it's the one I remember, the twist of the book was that the real protagonist wasn't the adventurer, it was the minor deity who was guiding/guarding them? Not really a mind-blowing concept, but as a kid I thought it was neat, and I think it's a moderately clever way of working with the player/character divide in text adventures.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I now desperately want to read A Pictorial History of Philosophy by Dagobert D. Runes

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Describing people performing music seems to be a stumbling block for a lot of authors, and I feel like that particular gloss isn't the most egregious I've seen. (Paul Auster's Moon Palace, a book so empty and tedious that I used to have it around the house just to read random garbage paragraphs from it out loud at my baffled fiance, has a segment where Auster goes on for several paragraphs about how the narrator's songwriter uncle writes the most delightful, playful, charming lyrics, with absolutely no examples at all. I understand that prose writing and songwriting aren't identical skills and it's risky to actually try and show these things instead of telling them, but it just came off as so masturbatory.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

nishi koichi posted:

oh boy, you've got to take some shots of the inside of that one. i got the reprint too. i haven't gotten to read the whole thing yet, but from my flipping through, it seems like such a strange mix of regressive and progressive

Yeah, I got a bunch of old sex guides from Gutter Phoenix's garage sale (like, all of them? there are a lot of these loving things in our Giant Box O' Books) and I've started paging through them, and "strange mix of regressive and progressive" is a good way to describe it. I've mostly looked at The Sexually Adequate Male so far, and it has a lot of authentically reasonable relationship advice! And... then you get to a case study about homo/bisexuality and everything goes straight to Hell. Absolute whiplash.

Also, it refers to anal sex as "rectal intercourse," which isn't technically incorrect, but... man oh man.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wonder how many of those "passwords that often work" still work well. I'm guessing a fair number of them, because people who use "password" and crap haven't changed much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, that is heavy stuff. I am really feeling that rabbit playing the drum with his face