Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

More remnants of mid-Seventies 'culture':

My great-aunt gave me this book when I was small:

I miss it. Slug Signorino is a weird artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I hope this fucker drowns in a grain silo

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

In 1997 I stopped at a gas station somewhere near Santa Rosa, CA and the mini-mart was completely stick with It'sa brand merchandise. Stuff like "It'sa Cola!" and "It'sa Sandwich!" Here is a candy wrapper I saved because it was so goddamn weird. Look at those loving quotes!!

I have never seen It'sa brand anything ever again, and can't find any information on it online. If anyone knows anything about it, clue me in.

holy moly do I ever want to know more about this whole "It'sa" line of products; that is weird and compelling and, of course, nearly impossible to effectively keyword search for

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Oh, man, that Radio Recipes cookbook is legit. I really miss the days when just about any little group - a church, a school, an office - would have everyone contribute a recipe and collect them in those little comb-bound cookbooks with tiny print runs and charmingly amateurish typesetting and illustration and etc.

I have a fair few of these, but the one I don't, and wish I did, was the one from my elementary school. All the teachers and staff submitted recipes, and as a kid that was still capable of having his mind blown by seeing a teacher outside of the school, it was like forbidden knowledge.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Oh, man, RE/Search. I guess I was just alive at the right time and place, because I remember there being this moment where their stuff was really easy to find - I even saw some of their publications in Barnes & Noble, of all places, when I worked there. It wasn't all to my taste, but it was always guaranteed to be interesting and show me stuff I hadn't seen before.

Then I moved a bunch of times and gradually gave 'em all away and haven't even thought about them for years until now.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Daniel Cohen wrote a lot of books for a juvenile audience, many of which scared the loving socks off of me in the mid-1980s. I never saw this one, from 1973, in the wild, but it's a pretty heavy (albeit well-researched and respectfully written) trip for a children's library shelf.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm immensely jealous of folks that live within reasonable proximity to places like Half Price Books. There's like two good used book stores near me, I've gone through their inventory with a fine-toothed comb, and they don't get stuff I care about in very often.

Don't be: Half Price really isn't good anymore.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

just some unsettling cover art; I get that it's intended to be, but it's a little too good at its job

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

We gettin' pulpy up in here?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm just crazy about old textbooks.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Another big gay pulp grab-bag :v:

Cover art quality varies in this one, unfortunately; I just had to include CARNAL URGES when I found it, though, because it is just the most blandly 80s thing imaginable.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bweep boop! posted:

And while picking through the pulp section of the store that features shelves three books deep in no order whatsoever, I found something incredibly insane that crosses over with the VANTASM! thread:

I grabbed some other books but nothing as interesting. If I go back soon I'll get some more trash to share!

I can't find anything about this after a (brief) search but I'm dying to know how our heroes, who are on "the way to the White House" and planning to "build an empire based on the word of God" (honestly, if you just look at the cover and read the first paragraph on the back, it sounds like they're the bad guys) end up fighting each other after presumably vaporizing a forest full of cocaine-fueled Nazis.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bless the uncredited gig writer who was tasked with making a children's read-along narrative out of Super Breakout

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

tag yourself, I'm definitely fun_dude

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pretty sure that speaks to those of us in and around this thread.

(I would never collect hockey pucks, but having one on an end table would be nice. The heft and texture of them makes them just pleasurable to hold.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

But man oh man, I'm glad you mentioned Cult Crushers, because I started reading it this afternoon and had to stop after 3 chapters because it is so motherfucking insane I can barely hide my glee as I type this on my phone!!

I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow, scan a few chapters, and post one or two a day until we all read the whole book together. The chapters are only 5-6 pages each, so it won't take long to read them. There are about 25 chapters, so we can get through the whole thing in a few weeks and dissect the insanity in full. I was gonna post it here or in the Vantasm thread, but I'll probably make a dedicated thread for it tomorrow. I'll post the link here.

It is so nutty. The fascists are the good guys and make Tulsa their holy land. Anyone who doesn't want to live in a theocratic police state are only rebellious because the KGB and ACLU have turned them against Christ by using cocaine and brainwashing. Holy crap, I am so excited to share it because a summary CANNOT do this gem justice.

Hell yeah, I cannot wait.

I don't read or post in The Book Barn subforum, but I know that "Let's Read" threads have been posted there. I definitely think Cult Crushers needs its own dedicated thread, but it would probably get a lot more eyes and participation in GBS.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I appreciate the recently-posted advice for getting rid of those god damned ThriftBooks spine labels, as there are about eleventy thousand books in my house defiled by them and after Baby's First Attempt at peeling them off, I quickly said "gently caress it."

Could be a nice project for a cold weekend morning in the next couple months.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

The big flea market down the road has some café tables near the door and there's always one or two professional or would-be professional buyers sitting there behind metre-high stacks of records, comics, and/or books, armed with a twelve-pack of Ronsonol and depression.

:finland:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

In searching for one of my many white whales, I discovered this book on archive.org and it's absolutely bonkers (and I mean that as a compliment). There's way, way too much good stuff to post, so I just grabbed random samples (right after I ordered a used copy):

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Only for the likes of Carl H. Yaeger - profoundly square, yet bloodthirsty in a horny way that is not-entirely-successfully sublimated - is "Brenton Massingale" a tough, All-American, revenge-gettin' name.

new for 1963... the "Brenton" sectional sofa, by Massingale

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Are all his protagonists senators?

No, no, this one gets elected President.

On waves of outrage.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Heath posted:

A regal looking man with a scepter and a crown on his three foot erection carries an rear end. :nws:

Having this as an avatar, were it permitted, would be the ultimate power move.

I've got a bit of an effort-post on the stove for this thread, but in the meantime, please enjoy the dopiest pulp smut title I have ever seen. I cannot find any information about this book, which is a pity since I would just love to know how an author working in this genre in 1971 contrived to combine sex and computers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Will an ebook version do?

quote:

It was sex, sex, glorious sex that kept Zip alive and he never forgot it he felt if it wasn't for his daily meat rations he would be a poor, withered old man. When Zip awakened each morning to the wet, hot tongue of his sleep-in maid he certainly didn't resemble any old man.

what in the absolute heck

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

of potential interest to this thread

https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/status/1193270596676837380

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I love this:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

When old man Grandpa Googlemeyer falls down and bangs his head, he discovers a new-found memory. He calls up his son Jim's reckless childhood and all of the crazy stunts Jim and his brothers pulled off in the neighborhood. The story is very funny and lighthearted until his favorite grandson Barney is involved in a tragic paintball adventure, which makes the old man turn serious. Grandpa Googlemeyer is a classic storyteller and keeps you laughing and crying in his details. Eddie Patowski, the town bully, pounds Barney on the football turf daily, but he is no match for a Googlemeyer in the forest. His foolish ways lead him down a trail of chaos and destruction. Can Barney, Kurt and Jim Googlemeyer save Eddie? Read inside and find out, but the old man will keep you laughing, crying and guessing until the very end.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arivia posted:

I feel like this should say Alpha Complex on it, not New York.

Are you suggesting Friend Computer made a mistake?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Good news!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This thread has done it to me again.

I'm skimming through this book on archive.org:

and it's so peculiar and charmingly written that I know I need a physical copy to settle in with and actually digest. Anyway, here's a passage I had to share: the recipe for TITTY SAUCE YAMS.

This recipe from BEFORE THE TIME OF CHRIST sounds good, too:

A good peanut butter sandwich is "absolutely impossible to get" unless you follow this recipe:

I am completely smitten with the way he rhapsodizes over hamburgers and hot dogs:

edited to add:

One of these is NOT like the others:

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 20, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

who among us hasn't searched for a used copy of Electrocution Night '78?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wa27 posted:

Any opinion on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman? It seems like something that would be extremely up your alley.

That show, against all odds, did get a DVD release and I've watched ~75% of it and it's really dang good.

It's a huge investment of time, so I couldn't say, honestly, "hey, go watch every episode of this unusual 70s soap" but I'm really fond of it and found it full of surprises above and beyond its spawning Fernwood 2-Night.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wa27 posted:

I have the DVD set and want to get back into watching it every night. It can be tedious at times (it is a soap opera, after all), but it's really something special. I've actually never seen Fernwood 2Night but I know the set includes several episodes as bonus content so I should probably check it out.

It looks like someone has uploaded most of MHMH on youtube, though I don't know if there's gaps in the episodes or not.

There's a very good and admirably thorough episode guide here (PDF link).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nessa posted:

We actually had to fire a client last year because he was awful and kept harassing us, even calling us names over the phone.

This guy: https://www.amazon.com/ademola-usuanlele/s?k=ademola+usuanlele

He honestly thought his children’s books were going to make him a millionaire. Everything about them is terrible. His regular books don’t have proper chapters and are just several page rants that have him signing off with his name and “The Peacemaker” every time. Even the children’s book had chapters, but instead of being numbered, they were lettered, like Chapter A, Chapter B, etc...

He also believed that NASA is some sort of Satanic force.

I am so glad we are rid of him.

Wowie zowie!

The author's description:

"I tell you this book is a shocker! You must read it to believe it. Trillions of dollars! Hard-earned trillions of dollars have been gambled away in the outer space. Many intelligent minds have been killed, many innocent people including little children and vulnerable people have either died or have been neglected to live in pains and abject poverty because of some few people. Some few cowboys and cowgirls have created this myth that God does not exist, and they have gone all out with no expense spared to prove to themselves and the rest of the world that there is no God, there is no Jesus Christ, there is no heaven and there is no hell. In the process, they have lined up their pockets, lined up the pockets of their friends and family and lined up the pockets of some willing and unwilling politicians via lobbying, campaign financing and even infrastructure projects.They have used fraternal, professional, family and any kind of ties you can imagine just to keep this champagne flowing to the point where governments around the world have been sucked into this illusion and competition and unknowingly, they have kept the taps of the champagne fully opened. In this book, the most critical questions about heaven, earth, the galaxies and all the planets have been answered. This book also brought up some critical information about the categories of heaven and the levels of heaven. All of these have been backed up with scriptures in the Christian Holy Bible. Thank you, Jesus! Thank you, Lord!"

I've seen Christianity inspire some pretty bold strains of weirdness but this is... new to me.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I just had to double-dip on this guy and praise the lord, there is a brief preview of his children's book, "The Adventures of Princess Pauline, Prince Ademola Jnr, and Their Blue Dragon":

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Not my book, not my scan, but I love this cover:

Richard Belzer wrote (well, co-wrote, you know how it is) two novels with himself as the main character:

I love this conceit, but I feel like it's something only character actors could really pull off.

Even with the help of a ghostwriter, it's a lot more honest than those thrillers written by powerful people with thinly-veiled stand-ins for themselves being hyper-competent:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I don't have a picture of it at the moment (I'd have taken a photo of the cover but it is completely blank and unremarkable), but I received in the mail yesterday my copy of Poison Gas, a 1928 science fiction play that takes place in the far-off, doomed future of A.D. 1950. Here's a summary I found:

Having been born when and where I was, I tend to associate apocalyptic fiction with nuclear weapons and/or biological warfare, so discovering the existence of this play - published all of once and seemingly extremely obscure - was something special.

I'd like to scan it in its entirety to a PDF to upload to (e.g.) archive.org to be preserved forever - something I've never done before! This is going to be a busy weekend but I intend to post highlights when I get around to reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Resident Idiot posted:

... magazine thread, you say?

Here.

Almost 100 pages of densely-packed posts of scans from all kinds of magazines, comics, and ephemeral publications. It's great.