Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Makes me want to start hitting flea markets again. I have a dictionary of sex terms from eugenics press sitting on my shelf, I'll take some pictures later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JnnyThndrs posted:

More remnants of mid-Seventies 'culture':

Citizen's Band was on Netflix a few years back. I can't say I remember anything about it because I was probably drunk when I watched it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I lived in Kansas for 9 years and nothing even remotely this cool ever happened

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pretty spot-on imho

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I bought a friend of mine this book for his birthday around the year 2000

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wa27 posted:

Picked up two books today for 50 cents each.

^ This is from 1973 and despite the title, it's a prediction of the future from the 90s through 2020. Mostly a selection of writings from the late 60s, with lots of conceptual artwork.

No fair, you can't mention concept art without posting some of examples

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

There was definitely a copy of this in my house around during the lead up to Episode 1. One of my parents won a prize pack which also included a Jar Jar action figure, and a few other random things from the radio.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Finally, I can convince my cat to get a job

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

So last night I was lazily looking at mid-20th century U.S. anti-communist comic books and other propaganda on ebay, and although I refrained from buying anything, I saw a few listings for this book. I've wanted to read it for at least a decade, but I've never actually got around to getting a copy. Fresh on my mind, I was stoked to see a $1 copy today.

I had a class in High School called "Reading for Enjoyment," where we would just bring books in and read all period. Easiest class ever, but yeah, I read this one and I remember liking it, I should reread it one of these days.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've read this, but never owned a copy. I am blessed to have seen Motorhead live, and it was rad:

I saw Motorhead twice. Once was at Bumbershoot and Lemme started off by commenting about how he hadn't been up that early in a very long time (it was about 10am).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This 1978 book about the Anti-Christ has some great pictures:

So much cooler than what really happened between 1978 and 1993.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Would a barcode tattoo actually work though?

Most people don't understand that standard barcode readers are actually reading the white space, and not the actual black lines, and I'm not really sure if skin is reflective enough as a medium.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Yossarian posted:

It's the physical representation of the mark of the beast afaik. I don't know if it's more then just urban legend, but hobby lobby does NOT use bar codes at all, all inventory and ordering is done physically and prices are done manually. The owner of hobby lobby is a crazy Evangelical right winger so i actually believe this may be why.

I call bullshit, I'm there a lot, and I've seen them use barcodes

EDIT:

gently caress, I was thinking of Hobby Town

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Some scholarly works I picked up to keep my brain active:

Oh man, I really want to know what's in that Spaceballs book that isn't in the movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I read it when I was a kid and I don't remember it being much different from the movie, but that was 30+ years ago, so who knows? I haven't seen Spaceballs in forever, but I've been meaning to re-watch it. Once I do, I'll read the book again and report back.

Same with Next Karate Kid. I also have a press kit for that movie. I'll try to remember to post that. Hillary Swank + Pat Morita + Michael Ironside = :discourse:

Nice. I remember reading the Goonies novelization and that's how I knew about the squid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

Don't be: Half Price really isn't good anymore.

Yeah, it's mostly just stuff you can get at B&N, but used. There's occasionally something neat there, but mostly useless unless you look in the rare book cabinet.

You always want to find the independent ones. If you really want a good used book store, you gotta find the ones that are cramped and floor to ceiling nothing but books. The bigger the fire hazard, the better.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Special direct producers' edition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I swear someone mentioned this book here, but I can't find where. Maybe it was in the magazine thread. RE/Search also has a book about Bob Flanagan which I've posted.

Anyway, I bought this copy for $5 on ebay back when I wasn't quite so broke.

I don't know about the book, but I think there was a documentary about him at some point that I heard about on Junk Food Dinner a few years back.