Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I just spent like $90 for this beauty. My first first edition Delany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Cool! I don't read much sci-fi, so I'm not familiar with his work, but he seems like he's lived an interesting life, so I'm gonna check out some of his essays when I get a chance.

You should just jump straight to "Hogg" (DON'T ACTUALLY DO THIS).

Wikipedia posted:

Hogg is a novel by Samuel R. Delany. It was written in San Francisco in 1969 and completed just days before the Stonewall Riots in New York City. A further draft was completed in 1973 in London. At the time it was written, no one would publish it due to its graphic descriptions of murder, child molestation, incest, coprophilia, coprophagia, urolagnia, anal-oral contact, necrophilia and rape. Hogg was finally published – with some further, though relatively minor, rewrites – in 1995 by Black Ice Books.

"Dhalgren" is a hard read for various reasons but it's a loving masterpiece and I highly recommend taking the time and effort to read it and then start at the beginning again because it's cyclical.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

There are parts of Hogg that will stick with you FOREVER. It's the worst book I've ever read despite being well written and compelling. Dhalgren melts your brain, Hogg infests it with hideous poo poo.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This is the second printing from June 1958 and a lot of what is inside is kind of amazing but i'm too lazy right now to dig through for good examples (or take pics that don't suck, apparently):

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Next up from 1963 we have this beautiful copy of the first American hardcover printing of L'Étranger (sorry for the reflection it's got plastic over the dust jacket):

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 29, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Next up, from 2002, a first edition annotated Hobbit signed by the annotator:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

1963 second edition, i'm a giant fish nerd and a lot of the info is still surprisingly accurate:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I know I have more neat stuff but I am old and tired I will get back to digging around sometime in the future. Sorry for all the sideways pics oops.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I love those Golden Nature Guides.

I was just reading through my copy on rocks & minerals.

Owning this one makes me want more of them but I've never put in the effort to buy more of them. I don't even know how I got this one. It's got "DISCARDED" and "Lake County Public Library" stamps on the inside, which is pretty local to me, but I've had it for at least 30? years. I suspect my grandma who lived within walking distance of that library grabbed it for me.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I've got firsts of Embassytown, Kraken, and three moments of an explosion. Most of my firsts are modern sci-fi/fantasy that I've bought when they're released and so not super interesting.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

OMG volume 2 just came! First edition small press Delany. I know they're recent books but I don't care. This is $200 well spent:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

tossing this quote into book thread, there's a great intersection of Lovecraft and "nonfiction" paranormal writings which started to bubble up in the 50s with reprints of his work, taking Lovecraft's alien gods as fact and connecting them to UFOs/the occult. Once von Daniken published his Chariots of the Gods the formula was cemented. The Cult of Alien Gods by Jason Colavito is a good read on the subject.

One of my favorite authors that no one else has ever heard of is William Browning Spencer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Browning_Spencer

One of his novels is well:

https://www.amazon.com/Resume-Monsters-William-Browning-Spencer/dp/1565049136

"Philip Kenan is battling a series of bad jobs - and the monsters from H. P. Lovecraft's fiction go with him.
Philip's first confrontation with the monsters set in motion a bizarre chain of events that finally sent his girlfriend Amelia packing. Now the battle rages from the dank, cramped sweatshop of Philip's former place of employment, Ralph's One-Day Resumes, to the gleaming, deadly corridors of corporate giant Pelidyne. Can he save Amelia this time, or will the monsters triumph and consign all humanity to an existence of grim servitude?"

I know I have Zod Wallop and maybe another of his books on my shelves? I think most of it was published by White Wolf back in the day, and you're either about to go "Who?" or "Yeah that makes sense."

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Droogie posted:

Dope, let's talk about an old book and cultural identity. This is going to be largely :words: and I don't mean to hijack here, but I promise it's about a book.

You've been on SA for over 15 years and somehow haven't learned that kickass deep dive posts about neat stuff are like crack to most of the userbase. :justpost:

Thanks for writing that out!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Droogie posted:

I've been frequenting and lurking since 2001, and I have always had a difficult time posting, but whenever I post anything more than a paragraph, it always goes well. I shouldn't be surprised but here we are.

I've written more before about my struggles with my culture before. It's weird because it's a lonely as hell experience, both being culturally ostracized and writing anything about it.

That's all by way of saying I've loved this thread and think it's great. Weird books are the best.

A lot of us have our own unique struggles and while we may not understand yours fully? I'd personally rather be educated than not, and you have a nice, clear, engaging writing style. [insert bad joke about how native people are just better story tellers]

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Droogie posted:

One of the things I love about vintage books is finding inscriptions, drawings, notes or personal bookmarks.

I am 100% sure that I have accidentally sold/given away books with $20's inside of them. I need to leave neater stuff in books cause I agree, it's very cool. I once found a love note written into a copy of The Stranger by Camus. Lost to a flood. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

My mom was going through stuff and found some neat old books. This one is literally falling apart so I just bagged and boarded it cause why not: