Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Just found this thread. Oh boy do I have some things I can contribute. Starting here, because I just walked into my kitchen, saw it, and thought "yeah, that's as good a place as any":

It's a community cookbook, published by the Cleveland chapter of an association of retired United flight attendants.

Chose this recipe just because it came with clip art. Very typical of the recipes in this book (and in all community cookbooks, in the US, ever).

----

Of course the ads are worth looking at.

This one has my favorite detail: STOUFFERS RESTAURANT - INN DIVISION OF LITTON INDUSTRIES. This was back when it was cool to brag about being a mega-conglomerate, vs. today's tactic of pretending to be two kids in a van when you're actually a business unit of Dow Chemical. This also helps put an upper bound on the date of this book, as Litton sold Stouffer's to Nestle in 1973.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I have a lot of thesauruses (and other books on language). I added one to my collection this week, a 1922 Roget's. To my delight -- and not mentioned by the seller -- it's signed by the owner, and inscribed!

Not by Roget, of course, as he had been dead for more than 50 years when this book was given as a gift. Inscribed by the person who gave it.

The owner's signature

The inscription. Maybe I just need to be in horny jail, but I can't help but read this as a little saucy. Sadly, the gift-giver did not include their name.

Also I love the little doodle of what I interpret as a woman in a broad-brimmed hat with a feather, 1890s style, but after doing the tiniest bit of "research", maybe it's meant to be more like this:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Heath posted:

I think it's "suthing," a corruption of "something." (As "smol" is to "small")

That was my read as well. As much credit as it gets for it, the internet did not invent slangy, faddish speech and writing styles, and the jazz age was particularly full of it.