Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Started collecting books again, and I got two gems today:

First is an Easton Press leatherbound collector's edition of Double Helix signed by James Watson himself.

Second is a biographical children's book of Sotomayor signed by Sotomayor herself! My daughter is only 2 months old but she is half hispanic and this will be for her one day.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Wow! Those are both rad!

Might as well post the rest of my fledgling collection. I've got a ton of regular books, but these are what I would consider my collection so far:

Signed Neal Stephenson

Signed and numbered limited edtion of James A. Michener's memoirs

A cool illustrated edition of The Screwtape Letters

Abraham Lincoln collection

A 60s era Lord of the Rings collector's edition

A Mao's Little Red book with the original cardboard jacket

A first edition english printing of Mao's Little Red book

Various Chinese propaganda tracts

Old school D&D

I've also got a bunch of limited edition signed Warhammer 40k books that aren't pictured.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Good stuff. I can't believe I don't have a copy of Mao's little red book. It's one of the most printed books of all time, but I never see them in used book stores.

I got them in China. They are super common there as you would expect. Not very common in America because if you made it out of China in that era you didn't want to show up with a communist book lol.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I finally found the other two books in this trilogy I was missing.

This is ridiculous sci fi Texas fan fiction from the cold war era. I only had the 3rd one until today. The premise is that Texas seceded from the US because they were wimps in the face of Soviet aggression. The Soviets have all but won the cold war until Texas steps in. Here's a taste of how amazing these are from the 3rd book:

The Soviets invade Texas with a massive amount of tanks. Hundreds of Soviet tanks are crossing a huge field when they begin to struggle in muddy conditions. Coming to a stop, the tank commander gets out and notices something strange about the mud. Suddenly he realizes that the mud is not caused by water, but pure Texas crude oil. As he looks up in shock a figure on horseback dressed as the lone ranger appears on a nearby hill. As they make eye contact the lone ranger pulls out a bow and arrow before lighting the arrow on fire and shooting it into the field. The Soviet tanks go up in a giant conflaguration as he rides off into the sunset.

There is also a space battle with Texonauts vs Cosmonauts. I really should do a Let's Read of the series, but I just don't have the time. I'll try to come back and post some of the more ridiculous things when I get around to reading them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Picked up a nice signed copy of Neuromancer for only $40

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I found Obama/Biden fan fiction

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

wa27 posted:

Yeah I've seen this a lot too. Guys with scanner apps that will go through about 30 books per minute and end up with a cart full at the end.

It's really annoying and they should be banned

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My collection has grown again. Please help, I can't stop

Franklin Press edition of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy:

Signed first edition of The Last Emperox. I've got a signed copy of the first in the series too, just need to pick up the second.

Signed limited edition of World War Z

Signed Easton Press copy of Disturbing The Universe by Freeman Dyson. Goes well with my signed The Double Helix.

I also just picked up an Artist Gift edition of I Am Legend from Suntup. They make some really freaking amazing limited editions. The prices on eBay for them are insane. Their 1984 that just released is beautiful but I have already reached my book budget for the next few months

Finally, the local Half Price Books has a 1st US edition copy of relativity! I am almost bought it despite not having even close to that amount of money to blow on a book:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think collector books count as wonderful so I've been posting mine, but if that is frowned upon I'll take the feedback. I enjoy the weird books more than anything, but this thread moves slow, and nobody I know in RL gives a gently caress about my collection.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I just picked up a signed, limited edition copy of The White House Years by Henry Kissenger. I mean gently caress that dude but I can't deny he wasn't instrumental in the 20th century world order. For every trash limited edition Warhammer 40k I pick up I gotta get a "respectable" book for the collection too.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Please post a picture if you can!

Kissinger is a monster and a traitor to the human race, but no one can argue he didn't make an impact on world history.

I will definitely post pics when it comes in. In the meantime, my Suntup artist gift edition of I Am Legend just got delivered. This is my first Suntup I have bought but drat do they put out some amazing editions. Their lettered and numbered series are insanely cool, but expensive and hard to get. If you haven't seen them before go browse the Suntup Press website. The prices on eBay are in the thousands for their lettered and numbered series.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm torn on Suntup. On the one hand, I salute Paul for making the books he wants to make. On the other hand, I feel he's all but abusing the people on the numbered/lettered train; you will never convince me a bunch of genre nerds scooped up copies of The Bridges of Madison County for any reason other than to keep their letter. Same with paying $350 for a goddamned short story.

It's a great business model. If somebody dropped a million or two in my lap I would probably start something similar. He does excellent work creating the editions, but yeah I wouldn't care enough about keeping my letter to buy stuff I didn't want. I did some back of the napkin math and it prints money.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Check out this custom press I found called Dragon Rebound Editions. They take first edition books (so far only Stephen King) and rebind them with a custom binding. They find first editions with bad quality jackets but good quality pages to do this. These are cool as hell. Check out the Cujo:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

That's also Paul Suntup, by the way.

Yeah I didn't realize that. The dude is talented. I would love to do what he does.

Edit: How much do you think it costs Suntup for a release? 1984 had:

26 Lettered @ $2,950
250 Numbered @ $675
1000 Artist @ $120
Total = $365,450

What do you imagine his margin is on something like that? He's doing three new titles for 3rd quarter this year so if he keeps that up he is doing about $4 million in revenue a year. He's also doing art prints of his covers, but I'm not sure how well those sell. I would have to think these things are expensive to produce, but at the prices he is getting his margin has to be high. I also doubt he employs more than 1-2 people, and it may just be him. As a project manager I could see how one person could coordinate everything you'd need to do to get these out the door for the most part by yourself with maybe some part time help for customer service or something. Maybe I am underestimating the effort, I am sure it is a ton of work but it's mainly coordinating with artists, suppliers, and printers that he starts probably at least a year ahead of release. I'm just really interested in the business model here.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 1, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Please post a picture if you can!

Kissinger is a monster and a traitor to the human race, but no one can argue he didn't make an impact on world history.

Got it today

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I've ordered a copy of The Clown Egg Register. Apparently clowns informally copyright their specific makeup by painting it on an egg and they are all stored in some clown museum in Europe. Seriously. The book contains a lot of them (but not all I believe).

https://www.amazon.com/Clown-Egg-Register-Luke-Stephenson/dp/1452169683

I also found out about another book called The Third Reich of Dreams. It's a collection of 75 dreams from 1930s Germany after Hitler rose to power. No luck finding a copy yet, but I will be adding this to my permanent "to find" list.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Anybody got $4,800 I can borrow?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Got a new first edition. It's going right next to my signed Kissinger.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Got some new ones

This is a 2nd ed of this particular princeton press printing from '45:

First ed signed, been looking for this for a while:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Got some new ones

Penguin press '45. Some dime store WW2 psychology:

This is a 2nd ed of this particular princeton press printing from '45:

First ed signed, been looking for this for a while:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah Cryptonomicon is one of my favorites of his. I haven't really liked anything he put out after Anathem, which I also have signed copy of.

Haven't read psych of the fighting man yet but I am looking forward to it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The collection grows.

1974 reprinting of Symzonia, considered the first true science fiction book in the US. Published in 1820 about a journey to the center of the earth, 50 years before Jules Verne. This was the first reprinting since the original issue. There is one true first edition on AbeBooks for $12k so this is as close as I can get.

Signed limited edition:

A random old paperback I found that I haven't read yet. I've said my whole life I would be a space janitor if it meant I could go live in space so a book about one is perfect for me:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Today is my birthday and I made a big score at the local used book store:

This is a (signed!) 2nd printing of the first paperback edition released in the UK. No idea how it ended up in a used book store in Texas.

And this giant coffee table book. It was sealed when I got it but gently caress that this is something to be enjoyed:

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 11, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Got another beauty in today. This thing is gigantic and weighs 16lbs. It goes well with the giant hip hop book I posted a few posts upthread. Taschen still has copies of this in stock and I HIGHLY recommend it for anybody who likes this kind of art. It's a beautiful book, and each of the artist title pages have a print that comes off the page if you want so you can frame it or whatever.

Here is an example of one of the removable prints I mentioned. There is one for each of the major artists featured:

Edit:

Forgot this came in since my last post:

10th Anniversary Limited Edition of Way of Kings

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 5, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

More!

This next one I was on the fence about until I saw the sticker inside:

My artist edition of Fahrenheit 451 from Suntup came in. As usual it is absolutely gorgeous. Can't recommend Suntup enough if you like fine press limited editions:

After the book it has a whole other section:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Another great find. First edition of a 70s diet book by none other than Dr. Death himself. This was self published by him so not a lot of copies out there.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oh poo poo the Nat Geo afghan girl w/signature is awesome. One of the most iconic photos ever made. I'd love to have that.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tac Dibar posted:

Man, what I wouldn’t I give to have this in audiobook form as read by Stephen Fry, for example. The dialogues could be between him and Rowan Atkinson, or someone else who could read it with a straight face.

No way, somebody get this dude to do it:

https://youtu.be/pWyOrbpGCpE

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tac Dibar posted:

Is this the song? It’s surprisingly good!

https://youtu.be/eqK3aBgLI_Y

I just bought a copy because that slaps

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

That last bullet holy poo poo

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Did some research and as near as I can tell this is real. Guy has managed to legally source some skin from old medical cadavers and is binding old books in the tanned skin. I knew this occasionally happened a long time ago but not that anybody was doing it in modern times.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My numbered edition of Blood Meridian from Suntup finally made it. What a gorgeous book. Was hesitant at first about the binding style but it's great looking in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Picked this up. It's not a little pamphlet either this thing is thick and could be used as a weapon. The author really does not like the CIA and pretty much immediately alleges they were infiltrated with Nazis after WW2.