Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Knobb Manwich posted:

Are they? How are they not wiping the floor with an utterly incompetent LNP? Support is going to whacko third parties like the Greens rather than Labor.

They've been up 8-10 points tpp all year

Turnbull would have to run over a kid to lower it further than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

If we had a Howard era LNP in Parliament with Shorten ALP, the ALP would be exiled to the far realms of Electoral Oblivion for the next four election terms with the sort of poo poo like Dastyari popping up.

Shorten and his era of ALP are only going to win the next election because Abbott/Turnbull LNP are beating them in a contest of falling down the stairs. Without the LNP to contrast against and Besieged Malcolm on the front page so often, the factional infighting and drama of the ALP would be the focus of media outlets.

Shorten is only desirable in the same way that, after a nasty case of food poisoning from a service station pie, you just really want a piece of plain bread.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/FakeChrisPyne/status/936038573316247552

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Greens and ALP are increasingly not competing for the same demographic anymore, and with ALP making GBS threads the bed in Northcote that's probably going to continue.

The ALP are going to go all in on middle class suburbanites, a strategy that has served the Democrats so well in the US. When the old Catholics start to die off Melbourne's North will go Green forever.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-01/clive-palmer-arrest-warrant-sought-for-queensland-businessman/9215300

quote:

Queensland Nickel's liquidators are seeking to have a warrant issued for Clive Palmer's arrest after the businessman failed to show up for a court date on Thursday.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It will be a relief for the ALP when they can stop pretending to be the Progressive Choice and just embrace the fact that they are the party for 20-something private school spivs whose parents went to public schools and middle aged women from Zone 2 who live in fear of the Apex Gang.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Y'all should go listen to this wrapup of the Yes campaign:

quote:

Katharine Murphy and Paul Karp talk to two key marriage equality campaigners about how they campaigned for a successful outcome to the postal survey: Sydney MP and co-chair of Australian Marriage Equality Alex Greenwich and Anna Brown, Director of Legal Advocacy at the Human Rights Law Centre.

Because it's a good story of how organized political action won the day over the MSM and the Right, and we need these stories.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Peopledon'tvotegreens.Gif

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/936388179153715200

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kommando posted:

Peopledon'tvotegreens.Gif

Loads of rich idpol people vote greens.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/936362090020749313

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

racing identity posted:

It will be a relief for the ALP when they can stop pretending to be the Progressive Choice and just embrace the fact that they are the party for 20-something private school spivs whose parents went to public schools and middle aged women from Zone 2 who live in fear of the Apex Gang.

Careful there, JBP is going to sue you for character assassination

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Careful there, JBP is going to sue you for character assassination

The private school spivs I know all vote for the Greens, which makes sense since 70% of inner city Melbourne Greens voters dislike unions and this is reflected in my mates who get jobs as "professionals" and turn on organised labour the moment something goes wrong or a union member asks for procedural fairness.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Greens voters are essentially $80-110k per annum human resources managers that say things like "oh actually I think unions are necessary and working people deserve to be represented".

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Greens voters are essentially $80-110k per annum human resources managers that say things like "oh actually I think unions are necessary and working people deserve to be represented".

Actually I think unions are necessary and working people deserve to be represented (im a policy adviser not HR so gently caress you)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

(im a policy adviser not HR so gently caress you)

sounds important

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JBP posted:

Because Greens voters are all one big monolithic stereotype, way to drink the ALP "they're stealing our votes!!!!!" kool-aid.

It's not like the Greens have a very strong following from younger people, who are largely under the average take home pay and honestly just want to have any kind of chance of a career.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/936402692556992512

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Because Greens voters are all one big monolithic stereotype, way to drink the ALP "they're stealing our votes!!!!!" kool-aid.

It's not like the Greens have a very strong following from younger people, who are largely under the average take home pay and honestly just want to have any kind of chance of a career.

I was responding to a poster claiming the ALP is only for spivs, CrazyTolradi. I respect the broad appeal of the greens political party who have a very strong following and members in the most expensive suburbs of Melbourne.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JBP posted:

I shook Bill Shortens hand four years ago and haven't washed my hand since.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

Lots of them on the North Coast of NSW then?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That's a big claim considering I don't support his political party crazytolradi, are you trying to get a rise out of me cob?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JBP posted:

*drinks ALP Kool-aid*
Support Labor? Me? Nah!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Probably shitloads of them working from home at their bohemian paradise.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

TBH the only difference between Young Libs and Young Labor is the party name, they both walk out of the same sailing clubs with their dads.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yep all you need is a nice cozzy HR gig and your own shovel!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

CrazyTolradi posted:

TBH the only difference between Young Libs and Young Labor is the party name, they both walk out of the same sailing clubs with their dads.

is this a victorian thing or did your brain get flooded?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Young Labor are very largely descended from Liberal voters these days thanks to the new career path of the lifetime politician. It's also a great way to stick it up mum and dad. They also dislike unions.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Young Labor lost most of their youth left wing when they knifed Julia so everything since has just been watching the slow shambolic zombie walk of death

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
everybody in nsw and vic likes to sniff their own farts, no matter their political persuasions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Birdstrike posted:

Catholic royalty are heavily represented in young Labor. They have their own new money yacht clubs though.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

No, it's from UQ actually.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Hey, gently caress you

I work in IT.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
It is possible to recognise that the Greens have had difficulty penetrating working class electorates due to real or perceived snobbery workout it being an actual attack on the party.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There probably needs to be a referendum to fix S44 of the consitution to include the disqualification of anyone involved in student politics.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

thatbastardken posted:

It is possible to recognise that the Greens have had difficulty penetrating working class electorates due to real or perceived snobbery workout it being an actual attack on the party.

I wish I could find the thread on FB I was in where a greens counsellor for Brunswick i know was trying to work out how to talk to working class people. It spun me out.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Have y'all considered just chilling the gently caress out because holy loving poo poo

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

ken understands

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Amoeba102 posted:

There probably needs to be a referendum to fix S44 of the consitution to include the disqualification of anyone involved in student politics.

not a bad idea tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

Doesn't help when we have a "national 25 seat strategy" that neglects to focus on any bloody working class neighbourhoods and seems entirely based around a Victorian BoP wet dream instead of saving the planet and improving people's material conditions.

• Locked thread