Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

My Christmas is always nice because mum and dad are as full communism now as you can get from boomers.

E: we nearly come to blows over who is running the bbq and other tertiary matters.

How’d you come out so hosed then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Futuresight posted:

Sexist.

I never come to blows with family over politics because they literally concede that I am probably right but they don't care because they're not very good people. Literally. They literally concede that they are FYGM. "We're not very good people" is a direct quote. So... no arguments to be had really. They're like the bad guys in a children's story: no grey, no believing they're right, just straight up doing bad things because they want to. I once got a relative to agree that weed should be legal and then she told me that she still didn't want weed legalised anyway because gently caress weed smokers.

Spite is a perfectly fine reason for banning stuff. For example: gently caress vapers

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Other posted:

My brother apparently paid money to go see Milo YabbaDabbaPopulous speak when he was in town last month but he kept his trap shut about all that stuff and mostly just got dug into by our 14 year old cousin about being bad at Fortnite PUBG rip-off mode the whole time

There's probably no better way to own a Milo fan than to tell them they're poo poo at gaming.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's funny how much Milo hated games before he latched onto Gamergate.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Aussies make poo poo food and comical Stalinists. Herring & Mannerheim supremacy.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Get some vinegar up in ya. Blood and sausage.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Laserface posted:

A friend told me that his in-laws came to visit for xmas, along with his parents, and the father in law decided to share that he voted NO in the SSM.
Here's an SSM christmas good story: my aunty and her partner are both nearly 80 and announced on Monday that they will be getting married soon. They used to get bashed for being in a relationship in Sydney in the 70s.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Laserface posted:

My ex-union official dad apparently really likes trump and PHON now.

had a good run I guess.

Working class/old school unionists cant find themselves in Liberal/Labor/Greens middle class edition 5774477412

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Laserface posted:

My ex-union official dad apparently really likes trump and PHON now.

had a good run I guess.

Economic anxiety or "economic anxiety?"

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

As if he or they ever actually cared. When he was made technology editor for Breitbart, he did an AMA on gamergate subreddit r/kotakuinaction. The top reply asked a few easy consumer electronics-related questions. His answer was simply "I can see I still have much to learn".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bandaid.friend posted:

As if he or they ever actually cared. When he was made technology editor for Breitbart, he did an AMA on gamergate subreddit r/kotakuinaction. The top reply asked a few easy consumer electronics-related questions. His answer was simply "I can see I still have much to learn".

A power board? I'm assuming you mean something akin to a surf board. Oh you meant a power strip? You mean a Tron line? Yeah I know all about those. Special effects mostly.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Good luck with that Neil

Australia's most notorious Islamic State fighter, Neil Prakash, has told a Turkish court he has no connection to Islamic State in Australia.

In a brief hearing on Tuesday to establish Prakash's identity in relation to an extradition request by Australia, the presiding judge said Australian documents regarding his identity and charges had arrived and were before the court.

He asked Prakash about the Australian authorities' accusation of his involvement with the Islamic State terrorist group.

"You are accused of being the leader of DEAS [the acronym for Islamic State in Turkey] in Australia. Do you have anything to say about this?"

Appearing via video link from prison, Prakash, also known as Abu Khaled al-Cambodi, said "I am not guilty of DEAS in Australia. I have nothing to do with the leadership in Australia." He appeared concerned or confused.

Prakash has been kept in a high-security prison in the city of Gaziantep, near the Syrian border, for about a year. He was captured by Turkish authorities while trying to enter Turkey illegally in November 2016. He initially lied about his identity, leading to confusion about his conditions and connection with Islamic State in Syria.

The case before the Kilis court is aimed at confirming his real identity and determining whether he has any connection to any terror activities against Turkey.

Documents confirming his identity and nationality were requested by Turkish authorities. Documents received confirmed his identity as Neil Christopher Prakash and nationality as Australian. They have now been added to his file. 

So far no evidence or note detailing Prakash's involvement in any crimes or terrorist activities in Turkey has been revealed in the case files.

The prosecution demanded leave to refer the case to the Chief Public Prosecutor's office and request a determination on his extradition, as required by Turkish legal procedures.

His defence lawyer, Alper Unver, assigned to the case under Turkish law, told the court that there was no physical evidence against Prakash in the indictment, and demanded his release under judicial control.

The panel of judges unanimously ruled for Prakash to be remanded in prison, granting the prosecution the time for consultation on his extradition.

The next hearing was set for February 23.

The court must reach a verdict and conclude Prakash's trial in Turkey at this next hearing, Unver told Fairfax Media.

"There are no solid accusations against him in the lawsuit files. This trial is to decide whether Turkey would extradite Prakash to Australia or not."

When asked about a likely outcome, Unver said that according to Turkish law, Turkey had the right to keep Prakash in the country and/or release him under certain judicial controls.

Depending on the conditions of the country demanding extradition, Turkey may also decide to deport prisoners to a country other than their country of nationality.

In a previous interview with Fairfax Media, Unver said his client strongly refused to be extradited; but if given no choice, he demanded to be extradited to a Muslim country, not to Australia.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My dad hasn't voted Labor since the Greens started running candidates in his *heavily* working class seat, and mum was arrested during a sit in in Julie Bishop's office a few years back.

In-laws run a small business.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
My grandparents are rusted on LNP and my mom votes KAP while my Dad votes ALP & Family First/Some Christians Party.

My brother votes LDP and I vote ALP/Greens.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

My grandparents are rusted on LNP and my mom votes KAP while my Dad votes ALP & Family First/Some Christians Party.

My brother votes LDP and I vote ALP/Greens.

The Some Christians Party.

Not none, not all, just some.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

my family is cool, they’re all at least moderately left and my aunt used to be a card carrying member of the communist party

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
My dad votes Labor, my mum can't vote because she isn't an Australian citizen (she is planning on running for the senate as a Greens though), one set of grandparents voted Labor until they retired and now vote LNP because literally gently caress you got mine, I have no idea what the other set vote for.

My sister and her partner vote Labor/Greens.

My partner can't vote as she isn't Australian and is also standing for the Greens.

I vote Wikileaks/Bullet Train for Australia.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

GoldStandardConure posted:

/Bullet Train for Australia.

god bless

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I vote bullet for australians

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Friend of mine hung out with Ludlam today. Apparently he's doing much better for being out of Parliament, so that's nice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lid posted:

The case before the Kilis court is aimed at confirming his real identity and determining whether he has any connection to any terror activities against Turkey.

The Turkish government is pro-ISIS, and acted as the middleman in the oil smuggling operations which gained them the hard cash to buy weaponry, once the clamps went down on a lot of their Saudi funding. The Turks will only accuse him of terrorism against Turkey if he's a Kurd.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anyone know what Peter Dutton is talking about when he says there is too much red tape in the aviation industry and wants to bring in overseas pilots on a working visa?

Sounds hosed up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Anyone know what Peter Dutton is talking about when he says there is too much red tape in the aviation industry and wants to bring in overseas pilots on a working visa?

Sounds hosed up.

Union bashing as per usual with the Libs.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A person I know was telling me that the Federal Government refuses to add pilot training to HECS or any FEE-HELP scheme meaning that students have to pay 150k on their own to get the licenses required.

So rather than helping students afford pilot training the Australian students go overseas and do it there cheaper and never come back while the government can claim a skills shortage and bring wages down in another high paying industry.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

Sounds hosed up.

Don't know but this is a friendly reminder to dob in all your annoying neighbours that just got drones and don't know the rules to CASA

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah my dad is reasonably well off because he was sorta smart with his super (although did get hosed over by some investment scam that didnt pay taxes to the tune of 50k) but yeah he just doesnt think politicians are honest or real and trump and hanson talking poo poo like they do at least makes them look honest and free-thinking rather than the carefully baked sound bites and speeches from the other guys designed to 'trick' you.

he'd never vote greens but he did vote labor once upon a time. hes in a fairly safe liberal seat anyway so i doubt him voting for PHON is a big deal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My mate is a pilot and she had to pay for the entire thing. You can do your aerospace, physics, theory and all that HECS but flight training is pay or military. Very poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

How’d you come out so hosed then

I have been on these forums for a long time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Anidav posted:

A person I know was telling me that the Federal Government refuses to add pilot training to HECS or any FEE-HELP scheme meaning that students have to pay 150k on their own to get the licenses required.

So rather than helping students afford pilot training the Australian students go overseas and do it there cheaper and never come back while the government can claim a skills shortage and bring wages down in another high paying industry.

I’ve had several coworkers become pilots and they all said it was insanely expensive - they have to buy their own fuel and everything as well as pay for lessons. They also said it was almost impossible to actually get a job as a pilot in Australia, so the last thing we need is to import them.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Anidav posted:

Sounds hosed up.
Probably Qantas don't like the fact that they have to pay their domestic 737 crews more than Jetstar International A320 crews.

There have been several near misses involving large passenger aircraft over the last few years that are attributable in part to reduced manpower, reduced training, and incentives to cut corners. gently caress knows why anyone sane would want to increase the risk any more, we're pretty much running on luck now.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

My christmas ended with a circle of union reps from 4 different unions turning on the one family member who is getting a bit libertarian.

Then i stirred up my aunt because my union stole the paramedics from her union.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I cbf doing the OP next month

I'm announcing this early to give people plenty of time to steal it from JBP who's been meticulously taking notes all month to attempt to steal it from me.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

John Heffernan asks if prisoners deserve same sex marriage?
John Heffernan, The Daily Telegraph

quote:

RECENTLY a male inmate in a correctional centre applied to get married. There’s nothing unusual in that; Corrective Services NSW policy actually permits prisoners to get married while incarcerated.
Approval for such applications are subject to a high-level manager’s discretion and concurrence with certain conditions, and although such ceremonies are rare, they do happen.
What made this request different was the inmate was asking to marry his male cellmate. Obviously aware of Federal Parliament’s changes to the Marriage Act to allow same-sex marriage, the inmate now wished to make a commitment to the person he loved.
Most Australians voted to support marriage equality. And it hasn’t taken long for the inevitable question to be raised, namely, do those same rights and privileges extend to that section of the community who are imprisoned?
I ask this in the knowledge that many individuals forfeit certain rights once they commit an offence and they are imprisoned. For instance, the length of time an inmate is serving may result in them being denied the right to vote while imprisoned.
In my opinion same-sex marriage should also be subject to a similar criteria, a gay or lesbian prisoner should be automatically deprived of the right to take their vows while incarcerated.
Now, before the LGBTQ community rise up and accuse me of ­homophobia or anti-gay sentiments, allow me to explain.

yeah here we go

quote:

Up until now prison marriage ­ceremonies were conducted in the ­correctional centre where the inmate was held.
The inmate’s partner would attend the centre where they would be taken to the area set aside by prison staff as the wedding “venue”.
Following a short ceremony and an even briefer “reception”, the ­inmate’s partner would then officially depart the centre.
As the main gate clangs shut ­behind the newly wedded spouse the inmate is already on his/her way back to their yard or cell. No private time is provided and certainly no consummation of the marriage is permitted.
Now the landscape has changed.
In the event of a same-sex ­marriage ceremony, I expect the most likely scenario would see the ­betrothed couple taken from their cell to an area where the marriage was to take place.
The prison chaplain would conduct the marriage, then, at the conclusion of the ceremony, both would be returned to their cell.
Obviously, sharing the same cell would provide any number of opportunities to consummate the marriage.
First, in respect of same-sex ­marriage in prison there is an ethical argument.
It’s fair to ask, do inmates deserve to be given the privilege of being ­allowed to marry and then set up house in prison?
They have committed an offence and therefore during their term of ­imprisonment they have forfeited many of their rights and entitlements.
How would the couple’s respective victims feel about them now being given the privilege to live life as a married couple in prison?
I venture to say Corrective Services NSW would not yet have written a policy regarding the management and supervision of married couples of the same gender in prison.
In the absence of any such policy, individual centres would be left to their own devices in the manner in which they oversee the inmate ­couple, possibly leaving the centre open to ­allegations of discrimination.
Sex between consenting inmates in our jails is not officially forbidden nor is it condoned.
With the constant threat of HIV and hepatitis C ever present in our prisons, some years ago the department provided condom vending ­machines in order to stop the spread of the diseases. The ironic part about that is if an inmate is currently suspected of having sex with another prisoner he or she may be quietly moved to another part of the centre.
A prescribed policy would be ­compelled to recognise that sex between a married inmate couple is bound to occur and therefore direct prison staff on how to best manage that situation, both from a moral and dutiful ­standpoint.
That said, a significant number of officers would have a great deal of ­difficulty in accepting such a situation be it on religious grounds or their own individual moral views.

So the deal here is, regularly men and womens are housed separately, so a heterosexual married couple wouldn't ever be living together in prison? The above is one example, based on this recent report of a man wishing to marry his cellmate. Not all same-sex marriages in prison will be a case of a person wanting to marry their cellmate, but the author has only said that same-sex marriages should be banned. Not all marriages, and not specifically marriage to a cellmate. "... a gay or lesbian prisoner should be automatically deprived of the right to take their vows".

quote:

You’re probably wondering what happened to the original application mentioned at the beginning of this ­article.
Well, it depends on who you ask.
My information is the application was supported wholeheartedly by local management. Plans were being made for a high-profile marriage ceremony which included staff as witnesses and the prospective inmate couple had even suggested possible gifts for the occasion. The official ­application was forwarded to the ­regional office for final approval.
However, when the news was leaked and departmental representatives were approached by the media for comment, the shutters went up.
The request was met with complete denial — “there was no application, there was no such marriage and, in any event, inmates don’t get married in jail”.
In other words, damage-control mode and a complete distortion of the facts. At least that provides us an ­indication of just how sensitive the topic is at present.
In my opinion, same-sex marriage in prison should be rejected unreservedly. The disadvantages far outweigh any perceived benefits.
Given the primary aims of imprisonment are punishment, deterrence and rehabilitation, unless an initiative satisfies any of those objectives it should not be part of any prison’s ­program. I fail to see how living as a married couple in jail contributes to any of those criteria.
I also believe it to be unreasonable to place officers in a situation where they are forced to compromise their inherent values and beliefs.
Any inmates of the same gender wishing to get married can wait until their release from prison.
I would suggest far better to walk down the aisle among friends and ­relatives than waltz down a cell block flanked by a group of petty thieves, rapists and murderers.

The guards aren't acting very professionally if we have to modify prisons to suit their feelings. Maybe snowflakes shouldn't be cops?

Assuming inmates should be separated if they're married or in a sexual relationship, it seems more obvious just to separate a married couple in prison? The author thinks that prisons'd then be accused of discrimination, which I guess is a sideways manner of accusing the all-powerful gay lobby of preventing justice from being carried out. Except it's like a pre-accusation because it hasn't happened yet?

The issue isn't nearly as extreme as needing to ban all same-sex marriage in prison

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

However, when the news was leaked and departmental representatives were approached by the media for comment, the shutters went up. 

The request was met with complete denial — “there was no application, there was no such marriage and, in any event, inmates don’t get married in jail”. 

In other words, damage-control mode and a complete distortion of the facts.

Yes, I heard it. No need for me to discuss my original sources or how trustworthy they are, but we'll have to assume a cover-up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ljayes/status/946235917865381888

god bless

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

the hero australia needs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol why did he send it?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

twist ending: the bullet was inscribed with the aussie farmer

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I had an intense discussion with my dad who admitted the two party system is dumb and he would certainly try to vote greens or independent but when it came down to a two party preferred he would have to go with LNP because at his first professional job he got harassed by a union rep demanding fees from him when he wasn't part of the union and Shorten is a union mouthpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-28/actu-casual-workers-permanent-ai-group-ara/9290654

quote:

Australia's largest retail industry body has rejected a renewed push by the unions to have long-term casual workers automatically converted into permanent staff.
The Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) announced this week it would lobby the federal Labor Opposition to support changes to the Fair Work Act which would reverse "the casualisation of jobs".
One such change would be a new definition of casual work, so it would include workers on regular shifts with a "reasonable expectation of ongoing work".
However, restricting casual employment would only bring "further challenges" to Australian retailers who are already facing a "difficult operating environment", according to the Australian Retailers Association (ARA).
"With the Christmas period coming to an end, and crowds of shoppers entering stores across the country during increased trading hours, the flexibility of casual retail employees is crucial," ARA executive director Russell Zimmerman said.
"With unpredictable trading hours in the industry, retailers need to be able to add hours to staff without paying overtime penalties, especially during busy trading periods like Christmas."
But this is a notion that worker unions strongly disagree with.
"There are too many loopholes and incentives for employers to casualise their workforce," ACTU secretary Sally McManus said.
"We can and must close them. It is a shame employers don't recognise this as a problem."

but we don't want to pay you

• Locked thread