Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

It is possible to recognise that the Greens have had difficulty penetrating working class electorates due to real or perceived snobbery workout it being an actual attack on the party.

Doesn't help when we have a "national 25 seat strategy" that neglects to focus on any bloody working class neighbourhoods and seems entirely based around a Victorian BoP wet dream instead of saving the planet and improving people's material conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

If Greens get Maiwar there's going to be some real salt from QLD LNP and ALP.

There's already a fuckton of salt. Labor hacks are pushing a line on social media that the result is illegitimate because most of the LNP voters would have preferenced Labor over Greens.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Lid posted:

thats not how preferential voting works

Yep.

They seem to be saying the current voting system is "undemocratic" and are pushing Condorcet voting - except that would have handed South Brisbane and possibly McConnell to the Greens. It's an odd line.

They're also pushing the usual "demographic has changed and now Maiwar isn't working class anymore and is full of rich tory nimbys like all green voters are" even though it's never been working class, has always been a swing seat, and the nimbyism was only really a factor in a handful of areas.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

I mean, Maiwar is an amalgamation of the Indro and (most of)Mt Coot-tha electorates, so it's not unsurprising that there's some interesting results. You've basically got a massive young student population living in toowong, st lucia, indooroopilly, etc that are captured by the new boundary and that offsets the nimby upper middle class set.

I'm not sure how much of a factor that's been. I know it historically didn't make a difference since most students weren't enrolled to vote in that seat, but the postal survey might have changed that.

most of the young people I spoke to were voting Green anyway so I didn't really get a handle on what issues or initiatives resonated with them. The NIMBYs were (unsurprisingly) really into the planning reform and anti-corruption stuff but were very angry about the public holidays and housing packages we proposed. There was quite a number of young professionals and Gen Xers who were into the childcare, enviro and housing packages.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Before, IIRC from having lived in both electorates before, the young student vote was split between the Mt Coot-tha and Indooroopilly electorates. So bringing those together and getting rid of parts of inner north Brisbane might have had a noteworthy impact. Impossible to tell, of course. The marriage survey would probably have been a factor as well, yeah.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to debrief, because I don't think we can really point to any one thing that the campaigns did that really swung a lot of votes. A bunch of things - both external and in our control - just lead to an insane swing across SEQ for us.

Senor Tron posted:

We should start a death pool for Malcolm Turnbulls reign as PM. I'm taking 5th February.

also 24 December. merry christmas everybody

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

I dunno Ken. Antony is pretty accurate

Antony’s not in the scruit room...

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Brutalism is an aspect of accelerationist thought, attempting to unmask and display the true crushing reality of capitalism. Discuss.

hold on this isn't New Urbanist Memes for Transit Oriented Teens

AgentF posted:

I like the building. Look how hosed up it looks.

pls no hate speech on the thread

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

as I posted on the original - "so oscar it hurts"

loving rip me.

(disappointing lack of the Urbos 3 smallboi too - and stay in your lane auspol, this poo poo belongs on facebook)

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Ugly building chat hey?

all buildings are beautiful. you need to embrace their inner beauty.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

tithin posted:

Tim Nicholls has allegedly conceded defeat.

Just tweeted this: https://twitter.com/TimNichollsMP/status/938924645130035200

place ya bets on new leader. good money's on a battle between Frecklington (who'll lose because sexism), Crisafulli (who'll lose because he's a moderate) and Mander (who'll win because football and usher in a new era of LNP christofascism for Queensland)

edit: scratch that, Frecklington has convinced Mander to run on a joint ticket. Frecklington as OL and Mander as Deputy. I doubt anyone will challenge that arrangement.

Senor Tron posted:

It's student accommodation since the inner beauty is overcrowded box rooms.

how compact and totally not a building and rental standards violation.

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 8, 2017

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Any of y'all at NUS NatCon this week? I'm out of the trashfire and want to spectate on Twitter. really struggling to find decent Media Observers who are actually there

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Anyone know anything about the new ALP cabinet?

Also, Grace Grace? Is that correct?

One of only five Assistant Ministers is 23 years old and I feel like I’ve achieved nothing in life.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

Minister for Shitposting: David "Anidav" Titanium

You joke but there’s legit now a Cabinet Minister for “Digital Technology”.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Yeah, but the way it is being reported is basically 'UQ LAW LECTURER THINKS WE SHOULD INTRODUCE SHARIA LAW'

Oh I studied under Aroney. He's a very good constitutional scholar but he's also a VERY VERY conservative, black-letter Catholic.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Yeah I think he was around during my law days, though I took const when Suri was still doing the majority of it.

Suri's a moderate compared to Aroney. The UQ Law School was (and in many ways still is) full of weird super-conservatives. Hell, James Allen still loving teaches despite multiple allegations of straight up abusing students.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Agreed. James Allen scared the poo poo out of me when I took public law. I always found his attitude towards students appalling, including when he refused to record his lectures because if you're not at the lecture, you're clearly not committed enough to study (even if you have to work in order to afford to live :allears:). I think Ann Black was my fave, though I only did one subject with her.

I actually had a bunch of amazing lecturers, once I escaped lovely Priestly 11 - Cassimatis on Public International Law, Cvetkovski on Politics of Law, Orr on Law of Politics, Crowe on Feminist Jurisprudence and International Human Rights, Devereaux on Medico-Legal, Billings on Refugees, Bell-James on Environment and Built Heritage, de Groot on Estates, Forrest on Cultural Heritage and so on.

Just gently caress corporates, imo.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Aesculus posted:

To be fair literally every time Labor goes into government with the Greens they (if not both parties) lose massively immediately afterwards thanks to the LNP yelling at the top of their lungs how THE RADICAL EXTREME GREENS ARE THE PRIME MINISTER and the Greens inevitably disappointing everyone and failing to deliver thanks to governing with LABAH

ACT 2012 doesn't really count. Greens vote went backwards, but it wasn't exactly a collapse, and grew again in 2016.

Obviously the ACT Labor/Greens governing coalition could not possibly be replicated anywhere else because every other state Labor party is hosed.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

Why do you propose "hosed" Labor would entertain a coalition with a deeply unpopular party among their working class heartland seats? They're losing aspirational and established middle class voters to the greens, I don't think they need to actively court failure in hotly contested old party seats.

I feel like this is asking for Labor to lose seats and doom any conciliatory ALP and Greens voting blocs that might be of use should the ALP scrape through.

I wouldn't. I agree it'd be a terrible strategic idea. But ACT Labor also largely a much easier entity to deal with, both in Parliament and in the party apparatus. The whole thing is a lot more amenable and less media-driven than my experience with both Labor and the Greens in other states.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

BBJoey posted:

this analysis is dangerous because it suggests that ACT labor isn’t hosed, when it absolutely is. ACT labor has been successful in spite of being just as hosed as other state labor parties because the liberals have barely any base in canberra.

The Canberra Liberals are somehow more hosed than Liberals elsewhere. They're swinging more and more to the Christian Right, despite their entire voter base in Canberra being either upper class NIMBY types (being picked up by the Greens very rapidly) or anti-establishment "gently caress the system" types (being picked up by the Sex Party and probably One Nation at the next election).

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Night Shade posted:

Well you see it's the kind of people you'd find working at the Holden pla-

Uh, the kind of people you'd find working at the Toyota pla-

Erm, the kind of people you'd find working at the Mitsubishi pla-

Australian Submarine Cor-

Liddell Pow-

Help me out here guys

Poor people who happen to also hate other poor people? (as opposed to rich people who hate poor people and poor people who hate themselves who obviously vote Tory)

BBJoey posted:

Yeah, the only explanation i can think of is that their strategist is an ALP plant because the right wing of Canberra is not a large well to draw from.

A vaguely centrist liberal party would probably romp it in in Canberra just because after more than a decade of single party rule the feckless swing voters get restless for change, but the ACT liberals’ only policy positions seem to be 1) we hate trams 2) we hate diversity.

Oh they got a new one on the recent countback. 3) we hate queers.

Sex Party's imploded too. Canberra's basically destined to be a Labor/Green coalition in one form or another for the foreseeable future, with just the power ratio between Unity : Left : CPSU : Greens changing election to election.

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 19, 2017

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

Working class seats (not working class people) that swing are easily found online and are often split due to cultural, social and religious issues. Call them conservative, established poor seats if that suits better with you.

Its pretty disingenuous to call those seats working class since there's a fuckton of working class people outside those seats and plenty of rich assholes living there too.

They're just seats that have a high proportion of socially or culturally conservative, economically redistributive voters. I prefer to call them "Rust Belt seats". It always made more sense to me - given I'm from one. "Bible Belt" seats obviously exist too, but there's only a bit of cross-over with the seats you're describing.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

I edited to clarify "historically". It's the same in the northern suburbs where you've got new voters going greens and the oldies still voting red and it shines through in the booth people vote at.

It's a bit disconcerting that Tarneit has the potential to be deeply split along old party lines (along with more right wing options) seeing as it's all cheap new homes and super traditionally defined blue collar workers.

E: also these new areas have American style churches springing up everywhere and that gives me the fears as well.

That's a fair point - and a genuine concern. Queensland's been having a fuckaround with these new megachurches like Bring the Fire and Gateway straight up recruiting and campaigning for political parties.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

There are calls among the left factions of some of the more progressive unions for the ACTU to excommunicate the SDA, or at least publicly condemn their behaviour. Right now, this is mostly supported by the more bolshie/tankie NSW branches of national unions, rather than the rank and file. I do not entirely agree with it, as disharmony is not what the ACTU needs at this moment - but I believe the time will come. Perhaps once we've defeated the Fair Work Act, ROC, and the Liberal Govt, and regained our right to withhold labour.

As it stands, the ACTU will not side with the SDA against the RAFFWU and will support and promote their victories, which is a good start.

I've been told there's also a bunch of issues around demarcation and the IR Commission that makes getting a new Union like RAFFWU recognised really hard. Probably need to completely rewrite IR law before it happens.

Luckily, Change The Rules actually has some really good ideas on how to do that.

And CPSU and pretty much every other Union in the ACT is pro-RAFFWU. Unions ACT was openly spruiking them at May Day. SDA doesn't even get mentioned except to attack them here these days.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

E: not helped with money, I should add.

Which is why y'all better be solidarity members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

I agree. Brisbane strong.

Hail Campbell

To quote the great Bob Katter - Queensland: the Fruit Basket of the World.

• Locked thread