Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Gorilla Salad posted:

I want to know who told that loving potato headed piece of poo poo that he'd look better if he shaved off his eyebrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Can anyone recommend a cover letter and CV writer/consultant/adviser/whatever? I'm in SE Melbourne if that makes a difference. I'm sick of my current lovely job in customer service.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

I can sense this being a gigantic self own when the libs can no longer accept massive donations from foreign nationals, all to stop a few gofundme dollars going to GetUp

They're already pretty adept at hiding the sources of donations by distributing them through various intermediaries.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

huh?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

quote:

Recent headlines have flagged a fall in Australian capital city house prices. But does it mean anything for you?

CoreLogic's November Hedonic Home Value Index showed that in November there was a -0.1 per cent fall in capital city dwelling values. This was, however, offset by a 0.2 per cent rise in regional values.

During the quarter ending in November, house values went backwards in Sydney (-1.3 per cent) and Darwin (-2.7 per cent). Sydney is crucial in national housing data: it holds one-third of the country's housing value. But if you look at the big picture, there is no need to panic.

Firstly, capital cities are coming off very strong growth trends – the types of price rises we've seen so far are hard to sustain long term. It's no surprise the market needs to take a breather.

But if property values do fall, what effect does it really have on you?

A few tips:

Don't panic: property value is influenced by market sentiment, interest rates and economic data. You can do nothing about these factors, but you can control your investment timeline: view property in 10-year windows, and try to buy well. Take the panic out of it.

Two-way traffic: Australian house prices don't always rise: they fell in the early 1950s, the early 1990s, in 2008 and 2010. Realise that the market will always have ups and downs – it's the nature of it.

Realised losses: value indices are theoretical until you sell and realise a loss or gain. As long as you meet repayments, the bank doesn't call in a loan just because the value drops. You can still live there and wait until prices rise.

Renovations and investments: this is where a slump can become real. If you want to access equity to fund a renovation or buy an investment property, a lower house value could crimp your borrowing power.

Short term: given the time and costs of buying and selling property, a short-term "flipping" strategy could be uneconomic if values trend down. Fix this by thinking long term.

Giant pool: don't be fooled by terms such as "Sydney property" or "Australian housing". They're vast markets and an "average" or even a "median" may not mean much to you. Lenders are very specific, using a valuer's assessment right down to the street and house.

Budget: only when you're forced to sell do low property values become an issue. So, take control of your household budget, ensuring you can meet repayments and retain your house through a price slump. This is crucial when interest rates start to rise.

Protection: along with household finances, ensure you have adequate insurances to cover repayments in case you can't work. Don't be forced to sell when the market is down – that's when you lose money.

Advice: if you're worried about values, stay close to experts such as mortgage brokers and real estate agents. Don't be panicked – be informed.

The family home is most people's largest asset, and it's normal to be concerned about its value. But always base your decisions on real information and expert advice.

I can't help reading between the lines here that they really don't want a bunch of boomers panic selling at the first hint of a downturn

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I don't work for an insurance company but the surest way to get a slow, sloppy blow job is to post something mean about one of our products on our facebook page no matter how ridiculous your story is or undeserving you are.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Regional prices going up. I know it's not significant, but is it a sign that millennials are increasingly turning to regional investment properties as a stepping stone into absurd Sydney/Melbourne market?

No its millennials buying houses in Bendigo and Castlemain and commuting into the city because it is the closest and most affordable housing to Melbourne

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

JBP posted:

Is this true or just some housing crisis panic thing you've invented, because there are plenty of people buying cheap investment homes in regions to get a "foot in the door".

Just as the domino effect of property jostling happens in the capital cities, so it can play out similarly in some of the top sea and tree change townships.

Castlemaine — the artsy hub of the Goldfields region that has been known as “Northcote North” since being colonised by early tree changers and first-home buyers who realised they had to get out of Melbourne to get into the market — continues to maintain such allure that “it’s going nuts!” according to agent Tom Robertson.

The Waller Realty agent says “the amount of enquiry is phenomenal. We’re flat out sales-wise, too. There are no quiet seasons here anymore”.

Originally a Victorian home built at Maryborough, the lovely, four bedroom Rosehill farm has been moved several times before landing in Maldon. It's on the market for $675,000-$695,000

Fellow agent Brett Waller, of Castlemaine Property Group, laments that “for this time in spring, the amount of stock is well down”.

Most inquirers are coming from Melbourne. “But we’ve also got people moving up from Woodend now because they no longer feel like they’re in the country until they get past Malmsbury.”

With the continuous waves of incoming newbies, even on a cold day, Castlemaine township is rocking.

An attention grabbing budget priced property at Newstead sold easily as it was priced at $235,000, was on 970-square metres and close to the local school

Photographer Michael Rayner, who moved up last year because in search of affordable property and “a powerful sense of community” embedded within a scene he could relate to, has counted 14 cafes in the commercial hub.

“It’s funkster junction,” confirms Robertson.

Yet, in a town where any cute period property in need of renovation is now hard to find, and when they are fixed up can sell for $600,000 to $700,000 — “with quite a few selling for $1 million” — the domino effect is in operation.

This church conversion at Fryerstown fetched $675,000 when it sold recently.

The response of some long-term residents who liked it sleepier, has been to move out of the big smoke they believe Castlemaine has become and on to the smaller, cheaper, satellite villages of the district. Here, they can buy a nice house for about $400,000 and either pocket the change or put it into their super.

“They’re escaping,” says Robertson. “Escaping the Melbourne-type prices and moving one town further out.”

This “Castlemaine effect” is bringing into focus the old gold rush towns of Maldon, Harcourt, Fryerstown and Guildford.

This substantial Victorian weatherboard in Templeton Street, Maldon, is on the market for $785,000

History-redolent Maldon, with its film-set red bricks, rusting galvanised iron and streetscapes of arching verandahs is, Waller says, 20 minutes from the transport links of Castlemaine.

“People now settling in Maldon are prepared to travel to Castlemaine to commute to Melbourne (90 minutes by train to Southern Cross Station),” he says.

If their children don’t attend schools in Maldon or Castlemaine, including a Steiner School option, the kids also become commuters, travelling on to reputable colleges in Kyneton, Bendigo or Maryborough.

In Harcourt, an elegant four bedroom home on an acre is looking for $598,000.

On granite country and famous for its wines and apples, Harcourt hasn’t much of a commercial centre. But in all the residential breathing space, there are some tidy and affordable homes.

One that is more upmarket than most is a four-bedroom home in Reservoir Road that, on an acre, is looking for $598,000 through Wallers.

“Harcourt is popular because it’s handy to Melbourne, interesting to young families,” says Robertson, “and there’s quite a bit of subdivision talk going on.”

In pretty and scantily populated Fryerstown, 10 kilometres south-west of Castlemaine, Robertson has just sold another top priced “but beautiful church conversion for $675,000”.

At the other end of the price scale and consequently contested by a crowd of interested buyers is an interesting new house built using old materials that Brett Waller has also just sold for $235,000. (Yes, you read that right!) Sited at Newstead, a town midway between Castlemaine and Daylesford.

Also on the way to Daylesford is picturesque, if low-key, Guildford (population 333) where, among a handful of properties on the market, are an almost million dollar, four-bedroom brick house on 20 acres, and a converted train “with a pool and three bedrooms”, adds Robertson.

Speaking of trains, Brett Waller reckons that because Castlemaine and its satellite settlements are now considered viable for daily city commutes, the velocity of the region’s future development will hinge “on what happens next in public transport”.

That, and the domino effect of property jostling.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Meanwhile

quote:

Another year, another Boxing Day sales "record". If it wasn't, we would really be in trouble.

The $2.4 billion sales prediction from the Australian Retailers Association is in reality a measly improvement on the 2016 results, as is the $17.8 billion figure for the entire post-Christmas period.

After accounting for inflation and population growth, the extra 2.9 per cent, or $500 million, expected to flow into shops is actually a downgrade – despite NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian performing her best sales pitch in front of the cameras for a Boxing Day of "bumper trade".

Much to the frustration of Treasurer Scott Morrison, Australians have not been spending enough in the lead-up to a period when many retailers expect to net up to half their annual revenue and keep 1.2 million people employed in the $310 billion sector.

This is not just a problem for shopkeepers, but also for Treasury's tax receipts and the wider economy.

The fear of bill shock through rising energy prices, household debt and stagnant wage growth have all combined to make retail the underachiever of the Australian economy – and the retailers association knows it.

"All is calm, all is bright, Boxing Day sales a big delight," its statement read on Tuesday.

By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy.

In other words, move on, nothing to see here.

But the optimism masks the reality of Roy Morgan's weakest forecast since at least 2014, where it predicted a 3.6 per cent rise, followed by a 4 per cent forecast in 2015 and 2.9 per cent increase in 2016.

Australian Retailers Association executive director Russell Zimmerman described the numbers as "fairly strong", before adding an immediate caveat: "Talking to retailers, they'd been hoping it would be 4.5 to 5 per cent."

In a sign of just how nervous some businesses have become, shoppers in Sydney's Pitt Street reportedly queued from 3am to be the first in line – only to find there were no discounts in some stores this year.

Tellingly, the single biggest threat to retailers, the internet, is still classified as "other" on the association's sales forecasts.

It has the highest rate of growth of any category at 4 per cent, but it is also the least likely to have its proceeds go into Australian hands or employ local workers. And we have yet to see the full "Amazon effect" on Australian shores.

The Treasurer will be hoping the Christmas splurge turns around the most recent household consumption growth figures of just 0.1 per cent, the weakest result since the 2008 global financial crisis.

But if the downbeat predictions behind the "record" headlines from a typically optimistic peak body are anything to go by, I doubt many would be holding out much hope.

It's almost as if a functional retail sector is reliant on people actually getting decent pay

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

hosed up if true

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE
SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET
LINK

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Foreign pilots will once again be allowed into Australia on working visas to help address a shortage that threatens to ground planes and cancel flights.

The occupations eligible for foreign worker visas were slashed during a government shake-up in April but from next month pilots will once again be granted access after concerns about the national shortage.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Severing posted:

Kind of reminds me of the IT industry. I wonder if a lack of attractive remuneration for what is a fairly unusual highly mobile and potentially long-hours job could be an underlying cause? I noticed on the news they briefly suggested that it was more remote routes where they have had the issues, but they failed to go into the reasons for the shortage outside the training being 100k.

I think its the barriers to entry. It's the same in a bunch of other fields too. For example we churn out a fuckload of nursing graduates but there aren't enough positions for them all to do their placements so we end up with a nurse shortage and we have to import a heap of foreign nurses to give old folk their kerosene baths. Having recently had a couple of elderly relatives in care I can say from experience that the imported workers are lovely but they don't have the training of their local counterparts.

It sounds like there is a similar problem with engineers. Businesses are screaming for engineers but none of them want to put the effort into training graduates (this might partly be due to the fact that a good number of engineering grads are fuckhead manchildren who no business in their right mind would employ, let alone spend money on).

With pilots I know the major commercial operators need 1000s of hours of experience before they'll even look at you, and the problem is that you either pay for that yourself or try to find a job doing some remote mail run. As I understand it, there are actually quite a lot of people graduating with a pilots licence but there aren't enough of those entry level positions they can go to build up the hours. Years ago I went on a scenic flight around Wilpena Pound and the pilot was a bloke who had moved to the middle of loving nowhere just to get his hours up enough to have a chance at a decent job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rome fell because of the ever expanding centralised beaurocracy and spending via Bread and Circus's. The plebs started voting for the Tribunes that offered the most bread and circus's not the best public management. Public ownership of their empires future died resulting in things like non-land owners being able to join the army. Their fall was fundamentally due to a lurch of the left.

• Locked thread