Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

Greens voters are essentially $80-110k per annum human resources managers that say things like "oh actually I think unions are necessary and working people deserve to be represented".

Lots of them on the North Coast of NSW then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/936406275167887360

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

We should start a death pool for Malcolm Turnbulls reign as PM. I'm taking 5th February.

He could actually survive a while because nobody really wants to boot another PM and nobody really wants to go down with the ship at the next election.

So put me down for the maniac 6 month/next election option.

Of course Bennelong could go to Labor and he could be out before Christmas.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Some of the posters in this thread's obsession with unremarkable right wing commentators is obsessive and creepy. They've said and done nothing important, why are you posting this?

Because she's hilariously dumb, and mocking idiots is this site's raison d'etre.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

tithin posted:

Didn't he already come out and say "nah it's not me"

Are you calling Sharri Markson a liar?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/936870353338433537

Comparisons to last time aren't very useful given Windsor isn't running.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Scrunt update:

Making bumper stickers in his spare time.

Fewer typos than I expected.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

George Christensen posted:

Since the royal commission announcement on Thursday, I have reconsidered what can continue to be achieved within the framework of government.
The royal commission announcement this week was a massive win, particularly for regional Australia as many of those hurt by banking misconduct are farmers and regional small business owners.
A week ago, I didn't believe such a result could be achieved within the government but the reality is that it can be.
I have also had a series of discussions today and over the past few days with local mayors and community leaders, local LNP members as well as party elders and my Nationals colleagues.
The consensus is that the Nationals need to be a stronger force within the government for both conservative values and country Australia and that people like me need to remain in the Nationals and government to ensure that happens.
I am assured that, with Barnaby Joyce set to be returned to Canberra by the good people of New England today, we will have a more assertive and independently-minded National Party with a reinvigorated leader at the helm.
That's good news for the people of Australia and should point the government in a new direction. That's why, despite serious earlier misgivings, I will remain completely with the Nationals and, ultimately, with the government.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Andrew Bolt posted:

GEORGE CHRISTENSEN WIMPS IT

Nationals MP George Christensen privately told me, Peta Credlin and Cory Bernardi that he would quit the Turnbull Government if Malcolm Turnbull was still Prime Minister this week.

He authorised me and Peta to spread the word, without using his name, hoping to create maximum pressure on Turnbull.

(UPDATE: Christensen told me he had authorised Credlin to spread the word. I understand now that this may also be untrue.)

Twice more he urged me on, even after lying to Samantha Maiden of Sky News, telling her he was not the MP I'd referred to.

He told me that he meant his threat and explicitly told me I should report it without fear that he'd back down and make me look like a party to mischief.

Now he's piked, and I must say he has behaved very badly. I cannot now trust his word.

He also damaged the Government without actually following through with serious intent. He should either have said nothing or done everything.

For what it's worth, here is the reasoning he sent me:

George Christensen posted:

So the story is out now and as such you're released from your bonds of confidentiality but I've done some serious thinking and you're the first to get the new thoughts, which I'm happy for you to share. I know you might smack me around a bit for not following through but as I said I'm happy for you to report it was me who told you that I'm leaving initially. Here's where I'm at now:

Since the royal commission announcement on Thursday, I have reconsidered what can continue to be achieved within the framework of government. The royal commission announcement this week was a massive win, particularly for regional Australia as many of those hurt by banking misconduct are farmers and regional small business owners. A week ago, I didn't believe such a result could be achieved within the government but the reality is that it can be.

I have also had a series of discussions today and over the past few days with local mayors and community leaders, local LNP members as well as party elders and my Nationals colleagues. The consensus is that the Nationals need to be a stronger force within the government for both conservative values and country Australia and that people like me need to remain in the Nationals and government to ensure that happens.

I am assured that, with Barnaby Joyce set to be returned to Canberra by the good people of New England today, we will have a more assertive and independently-minded National Party with a reinvigorated leader at the helm. That's good news for the people of Australia and should point the government in a new direction.

That's why, despite serious earlier misgivings, I will remain completely with the Nationals and, ultimately, with the government.

bitterly-disappointed-they-didn't-kill-each-other.jpg

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He works with Hashtag Beautiful Daisy remember.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

My approach is feel free to enjoy whatever it is, but do not do anything that could support them. Like you can enjoy Wagner and Strauss (who were Nazis)
I agree with your point overall but it's a bit more complex than that for Strauss, and Wagner (who was definitely anti-semetic) died 6 years before Hitler was born.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

tithin posted:

They reheld the vote apparently. No idea what grounds they used to revote. Quorum exists for a reason.

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/937570939276947456

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Speaking of which, have the libs figured out how to gently caress up same sex marriage yet

Nah enough Liberals want SSM that it's going to pass without too much of a hitch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/937641526485663744

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Goffer posted:

Where does the IPA funding come from?

They really don't like talking about that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Several more S44 cases have been floated, including David Feeney.

E: timing is important for some of the cases since people submitted the paperwork before nomination but only received official confirmation of the renunciation afterwards.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 5, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/937933792181870593

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ian Miles Cheong has a humiliation fetish, please don't kinkshame.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/937938575085019136

Also Pyne has said he's not supporting any changes to the Senate's Marriage Equality bill, so the numbers are there for it to pass unchanged.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I look forward to the banks trying to replicate the mining industry's campaign and failing utterly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

I'm fine with the High Court loving over the LNP but their reasons for disqualifying Hughes would be a rather pissweak basis for disqualifying a useful public servant who needed to return to work to put food on the table.

Yeah I was just talking to Spacewoman about it, it imposes some really loving stupid limitations on people.

E: 2 Greens MPs arrested at the Adani protest.

Also Bob Katter has decided that homophobia is more important than death-by-crocodile and is going to speak about it in the Reps.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 6, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kommando posted:

Gay marriage yet?

Might not happen today because there are still hours and hours of speeches to go.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Jesus bigot faction is not about to let up putting in their "what about the cake makers" discrimination amendments, no matter how hopeless.
They haven't got to the amendments yet, when ~100 people each want to make a 10-15 minute speech it takes a while.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dimebag posted:

Is there anyway the Libs don't use this new s44 poo poo to delay the SSM vote to the new year while the press eats it up and blames Labor?

Too many Liberals are sick and tired of the hard right's stalling tactics on marriage equality for that to happen.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Comstar posted:

Does the SES have these issues? One of the guys doing it was the Brigade Commander.
One of my friends left because her unit had a few people who were racist / sexist but I've not heard of anything to that extent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The best thing Clive Palmer could do is gently caress off and die.

https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/937851508405649408

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/938629901766103041

I'm not misreading this as partial confirmation of the rumours am I?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It passed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

dj-bbq posted:

to 3rd reading

Which is a formality.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They're doing a division on the 3rd reading because two dickheads yelled out "no", and a few others are also voting no.

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/938663364917469184

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/938663617309827072

A few others (like Abbott and Andrews) didn't show up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/938667797265006592

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

I got an email from LOWES with the subject line LOVE WINS

Thanks LOWES.

Couldn't have done it without you.

LOVVES.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/inthehansard/status/938762366287618048

Katter's speech is best represented in Zalgo though.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 7, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Brutalism is great unless you want a pleasant public space people will want to be in.

Lid posted:

... there are people who like the UTS building?
It's got a good view because you can't see the UTS building :downsrim:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Looks like a good read (although the bit about banning skyscrapers seems ridiculous).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Schlesische posted:

I really thought PHON did a lot better in primary vote than they did.
PHON only contested about 2/3rds of the seats, so their statewide primary vote was down on what it could have been.

I think the Greens contested all the seats, although if they didn't they came close.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/rharris334/status/939405305686892544

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Who the gently caress are the CDP?

If they are conservative hacks wouldn't LNP + CON + CDP save the Libs?

Oh, Fred Nile? I gotta rub my eyes I haven't seen that option in a poll for Yonks

NSW polling hasn't been particularly important for a while, so they wouldn't have come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/940314975179964416
https://twitter.com/JoeHockey/status/940326573999382528

• Locked thread