Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Yeah the touch screen ATMs are crap. I find them difficult and finnicky to use. Always think I'm pressing the wrong thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
What's the deal with the container deposit scheme in NSW?

I've seen a heap of complaining on beer groups that I follow about how it's placing an unfair burden on smaller shops with more diverse product lines.

South Australia has had a deposit for as long as I can remember and it doesn't seem to cause issues. Is the NSW model different or are people just whining?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Several more S44 cases have been floated, including David Feeney.

E: timing is important for some of the cases since people submitted the paperwork before nomination but only received official confirmation of the renunciation afterwards.

Hahaha sucked in David Feeney.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Synthbuttrange posted:

unfortunately he wasnt home

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
https://mobile.twitter.com/yathinkn/status/939597797099048965

Should probably :nws: that one too but it's just text

Mad Katter fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 9, 2017

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yo what are some of the good news stories of the year, either nationally or internationally?

I've got:

Katrín Jakobsdóttir
Jacinda Ardern
Danica Roem
Saudi women driving

SSM
AFLW
Matildas
WNFL announced
WBBL
Liberal front bencher defending the muslim community
Vic passing assisted dying
Hottest 100 changing date

Anything else stand out?

Greens win Northcote and Maiwar

Also

BBJoey posted:

breath of the wild won game of the year

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Cleretic posted:

Who declared that and why didn't they pick Nier Automata?

BotW worst Zelda game, fight me. I'll win because I actually have an arsenal of interesting gadgets.

I thought you were cool

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Video games are pretty cheap entertainment compared to movies, live music, craft beer, good restaurants, road cycling and all the other poo poo I waste my money on.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

norp posted:

Road cycling is pretty cheap if you don't go too far along the inflection point on prices where it goes from prosumer to dentist-tier

Also sell your car and commute on said road bike

Yeah, I have a bike that I ride to the pub and used to take to work every day. I'm only a 15 minute walk now so it's not really worth it to ride.

You're right though, it's fairly reasonable compared to other interests. I just spend too much buying new kit,

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

bigis posted:

If you’re not a greens voter you are unironically Hitler.

- Auspol, 2017

Someone post that photo where Parliament is voting on concentration camps for refugees and it's just Bandt and Wilkie voting against it.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I feel like reading about trams over the Christmas break now.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

What the gently caress? That's terrible.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Hobo Erotica posted:

That was great. They're literally waving at him. "I feel so unwelcome!"

Look, they're on the playground!

It's strange how he's so hung up on how they must think "Australians" are pathetic etc. Really says quite a bit out his own sense of self worth.

Hilarious that filming families hanging down by the beach on boxing day is evidence that they refuse to assimilate with "Australian" values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Swatting: Kansas man shot dead by police after prank caller calls 911, Call of Duty link investigated

quote:

The FBI is investigating whether an argument over a video game prompted a hoax call that led to a Kansas man
being shot dead on his doorstep by a police officer.

Wichita Deputy Police Chief Troy Livingston said a "prankster" called 911 and made up a story about a shooting and
kidnapping.

He did not mention reports that an argument over online gaming was at the heart of the prank, although he said
investigators had made good progress tracking online leads.

Police have not disclosed the name of the man who was killed on Thursday evening, but relatives identified him as
Andrew Finch, 28.

Chief Livingston, speaking at a news conference, said the hoax call was a case of "swatting", in which a person makes
up a false report to get a SWAT team to raid an address.

"Due to the actions of a prankster we have an innocent victim," Chief Livingston said.

He said no-one had been arrested in connection with the hoax.

'My son was murdered over a false report'

An audio recording of the call to 911 was made public by police.

In it, a man can be heard telling the emergency operator that he has just shot his father in the head.

He said he was holding his mother and younger brother at gunpoint.

The caller, speaking with relative calm, said he poured petrol inside the home "and I might just set it on fire".

When asked for his location, he gave Mr Finch's address.

Several officers arrived and surrounded the home, braced for a hostage situation. When Mr Finch went to the door police
told him to put his hands up and move slowly.

But Chief Livingston said the man moved a hand toward the area of his waistband — a common place where guns are
concealed.

An officer, fearing the man was reaching for a gun, fired a single shot. Mr Finch died a few minutes later at a hospital.
Chief Livingston said Mr Finch was unarmed.

The officer, a seven-year veteran of the department, is on paid leave pending the investigation.

The Finch family on Friday allowed reporters inside their home. Lisa Finch told them her son was not a gamer.

Ms Finch said the family was forced outside barefoot in freezing cold and handcuffed after the shooting. She said her
granddaughter was forced to step over her dying uncle and that no guns were found in the home.

Dexerto, an online news service focused on gaming, reported that the series of events began with an online argument
over a $1 or $2 wager in a Call of Duty game on UMG Gaming, which operates online tournaments including one
involving Call of Duty.

"We woke this morning to horrible news about an innocent man losing his life," Shannon Gerritzen, a UMG
spokeswoman, said in an email.

"Our hearts go out to his loved ones. We are doing everything we can to assist the authorities in this matter."
She declined to disclose other details.

In addition to the 911 call, police also released a brief video of body camera footage from another officer at the scene.

It was difficult to see clearly what happened, but it shows that police were parked across the road from Mr Finch's house
when the shot was fired.

The FBI estimates that roughly 400 cases of swatting occur annually, with some using caller ID spoofing to disguise their
number.

An FBI supervisor in Kansas City, Missouri, which covers all of Kansas, said the agency joined in the investigation at the
request of local police.

In other cases of apparent swatting, three families in Florida in January had to evacuate their homes after a detective
received an anonymous email claiming bombs had been placed at the address.

A 20-year-old Maryland man was shot in the face with rubber bullets by police in 2015 after a fake hostage situation was
reported at his home.

Katherine Clark, a Massachusetts Democrat, introduced an anti-swatting bill in 2015 — then was herself the victim of
swatting. Armed officers in 2016 responded to an anonymous call claiming an active shooter was at Ms Clark's home.

What the gently caress.

:psyduck:

• Locked thread