Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’d join loving One Nation if I needed to to get tickets to see the Demons in a grand final.

I think you're safe there mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'm going to hedge my bets and say I think he's gonna be the one to see the GG and draw up the writs, and therefore will be Leader of the Liberal party and PM until the next election.

I think it would take a genuinely catastrophic budget reaction or huge defeats in SA and Vic to convince the Libs change is required to avoid getting killed federally.
Unfortunately I also think the bubbles gonna burst while labor's holding the bag.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 1, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I've never heard her talk before.
Holy poo poo, she looks and sounds like an absolute fuckwit. Like she perfectly encapsulates the insanity that is her twitter account.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

woofbro posted:

I didn’t even know the New England by-election was this weekend.

We’ve had coverage of Bennelong by-election everywhere. I get that Kristina has a lot more going on than John Alexander but man, just feels like nothing was done to strongly contest Barnaby in the New England seat. Apart from roots level stuff like his daughter high jacking a Ute and public members calling him out at conferences which weren’t covered by any of the biggest news sources.

There was basically no competition in New England apart from Barnaby vs Joyce.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

There definitely is a real lack of educational focus on the history of Aboriginal people pre and post-settlement (or at least there was when I was at school). I did history as one of my year 12 subjects and I learnt all about Europe during WWI and WWII and the US/USSR Cold War, but not a thing about Australian history. I only know a little about Aboriginal society/culture/history because I went out of my way to learn about it at uni.

There's a general lack of education with the flaws in Australian society.
I took a "Contemporary Issues" class in year 12, and we discussed American Immigration but not Australian Immigration.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Sparticle posted:

https://twitter.com/ECQInfo/status/939028077991960576

PHON got as many seats as the Greens who didn't have 5-10 min coverage on the news every night. Eat poo poo Pauline

I really thought PHON did a lot better in primary vote than they did. The Greens almost got as many votes as PHON, which really surprised me.
I guess maybe Queensland isn't Worst State by as large a margin as I thought. Maybe NSW is in fact worst state.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

"Magpies" and "Plovers" (they're European names for species that ?aren't actually related to the European namesakes?) don't swoop me, but they sure as hell like having a crack at my (admittedly incredibly oblivious) doggo. If they'd cut that poo poo out, I'd be a-ok with those magnificent bastards.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JBP posted:

Is this true or just some housing crisis panic thing you've invented, because there are plenty of people buying cheap investment homes in regions to get a "foot in the door".

Column A + Column B.
Riding the 7AM train from Bendigo to Melbourne you aren't getting a seat and there are a *lot* of suits. Also my dad's place is on the south side of bendigo and there are a bunch of housing developments around here (not unlike what you see in Truganina tbqh).
But there's always been a portion of society that wants the "Bendigo/Castlemaine Lifestyle" and who are prepared to pay for the commute.
Similar deal with the Gong/Newcastle if I've heard right.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I wonder if the 2005 Battlefront 2 won the custom steam award for "Best Battlefront".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

One the one hand, the D-class has this wonderful thing called "Air Conditioning".
On the other, the Z-class is more comfortable and makes fewer weird noises when it turns.

Help me guys, I can't decide.

Birdstrike posted:

the new sydney trams will kill people

Will it shoot through Bondi Junction?

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 19, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Before Times posted:

Is d-class the one with the strange seat configuration? Having air con is good but they really were not thinking with the design

It's low floor. The suspension has to go somewhere.

Anidav posted:

What's a tram?

Is that where you get a can of tooheys new and ram it down your throat to get as drunk as possible?

Gold Coast has Trams now.

JBP posted:

BHP have been plainly saying they don't believe in geo coal mining being viable into the future for a while and that they're going to mine poo poo that is worth actual money like nickel, copper and coking coal.

And as much Lithium extraction as they can purchase.
Australia's Minerals boom has life in it yet, we've got shitloads of Lithium and other "poo poo people want all of a sudden".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-20/banks-revamp-code-of-practice-in-face-of-scandals/9274440

Is this stuff significant? I remember goons going on about dodgy lending, but that's not mentioned here

As far as I can tell it looks like good for the consumer but in reality it's probably stuff they're absolutely prepared to give up if it saves a closer look at their lending practices.
Isn't the Banking Royal Commission going after Industry Superfunds in any event?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

New solution is the E-class, which has decent seating and air-con.

It's also because the D-class formed microscopic cracks in the frame and required them to modify it so it wouldn't collapse like wet cardboard in the event of an accident.

Again, see: E-class, low floor but none of the stupid seat config of the D-class.

See my problem is that as the E-class moves trams off the more congested Northern lines, I get all the poo poo that gets moved off them on my eastern/south eastern lines. As it is I get a bunch of Z3's but I'm gonna be exclusively riding D's when the Es take over.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but it increases the value of the property!

That said this is Australia so spending money on solar panels that aren't somewhere in the NT or northern WA is dumb. Even with transmission losses.

If only there was some way in which you could recoup costs borne from having solar panels and selling off the excess power you generated at an amount that wasn't an absolute joke.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Ugh, the design is horrible for Fed Square. It's mandatory for flagship Apple stores to be glass cubes, but they could at least fit the trimmings to the style of Fed Square, since the square buildings have a unified and very distinct look and a single building of totally different style will make it all clash horribly and stick out like a sore thumb.

That said, they probably deliberately refused to do that because the big Apple stores have to 'stand out' and 'be unique'.

Store aside, this might actually be an improvement to the square, since it's half the size of the current building and they're putting in broad terrace steps down to river level in the new space, which is something the square has always desperately needed.

If they were really taking advantage they'd structure the new steps as an ampitheatre, there'd be tons of uses at Fed Square.

I read somewhere that it's gonna create a wind tunnel effect to blow through which, if Docklands is any indicator, will make the area a concrete hell in winter.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Korgan posted:

Can't wait for a whole day's worth of Barnsey and Accadacca

Some vintage Prussian Blue might get a look in I think...

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Majestic posted:

Andrews is trying as hard as he can to fall from grace it seems. He really seemed to be doing a pretty decent job for a while. Weatherill now best state leader?

Weatherill's been the only state leader genuinely sticking up for his state for a while now.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I straight up don't get how people are so angsty over this.
If:
1) The government was going to get rid of Fed Square south building
and
2) Apple is paying for the land and construction

then who really gives a poo poo? I mean if the government is paying for the privilege of having an apple store in Fed Square then they can absolutely gently caress off.

The West Gate Tunnel is significantly worse in every way and Dandrews should get the poo poo kicked out of him from that one, but loving :laffo: if you think this wasn't going to happen. Apple and the fuckwits behind the West Gate Tunnel saw opportunities and basically every government in Australia would 100% have done what Dandrews and his government did.
At least we're getting Metrorail and the Airport Rail link.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByC8sRdL-Ro

Written and performed by an American. What could be more perfect.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Fanatic posted:

I still use a 2011 Macbook Pro and a 2013 iPhone 5S daily. I doubt I'd find a PC laptop or an Android phone that would last that long.

I was using an Asus UX21E (along side a standard tower) until I decided I should prolly get an upgrade last week.
I really like iPhones but I'm still somewhat pissy that Apple obsoletes it's own phones by pushing updates that progressively make the phone slower and worse unless you opt out of updating your phone after year 2 or 3.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JBP posted:

A lot of people oppose safe schools style programs because they want to do their own sex and life education with their children and don't trust the government to do it.

I think this is a fair and reasonable argument.

I don't think any of those people are gonna vote for Luke "Cry for the Dog Owners" Foley. Except the ones who want to teach their kids that gays are evil, sex is immoral and should only be done for procreation and that the Bible is the ultimate arbiter of moral righteousness. Or worse, the ones who say that they should be the ones to teach their kids this stuff and then proceed to not teach their kids anything.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BBJoey posted:

you actually made it incorrect. popularity outside the party room will not be a factor in the next liberal spill because none of the contenders outside julie bishop are more liked than turnbull; hence why the next pm will be peter dutton.

I don't think Bishop will be a contender unless other people can put your name up unilaterally.
It'll be Dutton v ScoMo and I think Dutton will probably win because he's clearly got so much party room power.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

Scomo's popularity is in single figures, as is Duttons. Abbott's sitting on like 15% or something pathetic like that, and as a point of reference, the party room knows that putting him back would result in electoral mass destruction.

Bishop is polling higher than Turnbull, which is one half of the only two metrics that matter.

Unfortunately for her leadership ambitions, the other metric is "Is Male."

IMO, Malc will almost certainly be taking the party to the next election. There just isn't any talent in safe enough seats to bother changing things up, they'll just try to hammer labor on natsec, immigration, economic performance and hope that the Media softballs them back into power (they'll certainly do their best).

I think Malcolm will take the LNP to the next election and it will be ScoMo vs someone else (possibly Frydenburg?) who will be the interim leader with Bishop sitting in the back until about a year out from an election when she'll step in and take over and lead them to that later election.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

IDK where you’re getting the impression that Julie Bishop would just sit around twiddling her thumbs waiting for her opponents to die off

holy poo poo that took me far too long to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

From what it sounds like, Downer did literally everything he should have.
He reported it up the chain and let the process happen.

Worth noting his term as Ambassador is up/he's retiring and returning to Adelaide.

• Locked thread