Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Hobo Erotica posted:

It's still November wtf

Early thread for the early election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

gently caress it, in for my birthday. June 25.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

IIRC the rumours are that he knocked up a young staffer and he's currently living with his sister.

Young staffer knocked up, but he was cheating with more than one person, and had been for years. Which, when you think about it, means there were at least three people willing (presumably) to have sex with Joyce. If that isn't impetus for someone to reevaluate their life, I don't know what is.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm going to assume they're all willingly living in Tamworth so their judgement is already questionable at best.

Correlation = causation? :confused:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Periphery posted:

Road chat: A bunch of academics have released a report showing that Melbourne's proposed West Gate Tunnel will be a giant waste of time and money. http://cur.org.au/media/new-report-raises-serious-concerns-west-gate-tunnel/

Who would have guessed a road proposed by Transurban would not be in the best interests of the broader community.

Woodcock's a Green who's been actively campaigning against the Tunnel on the basis of "we can solve everything with trains!" for a while now. He's not exactly unbiased on the issue.

Personally I'm not unhappy about the Tunnel - trucks using local roads in the inner west has been a huge issue for decades, and if nothing else, the truck bans are going to help with that. Besides, whether we like it or not, the population is going to basically double over the next couple of decades, and we can't solve everything with freight on rail. Even if it isn't a perfect solution, at least it's something.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

"Crystal Legacy" is better imo - sounds like some kind of lovely mail-order "collectable" that's like five payments of $80 you'd see ads for in the back of Women's Day or whatever.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

gay picnic defence posted:

No its millennials buying houses in Bendigo and Castlemain and commuting into the city because it is the closest and most affordable housing to Melbourne

Yeah. I've got friends who've done exactly that. In fairness, some of them actually wanted to live out there in the first place, it's just they can actually afford to do it, unlike my friends who wanted to live in the suburbs.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

On fire alarm chat, I was at a firestation a couple of months ago and they reckoned they're the first to know about recessions because of an increase in ~*mysterious*~ inexplicable fires that all start at midnight in small businesses.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

hiddenmovement posted:

And was there?

They were insisting they predicted the 2008 recession so... :shrug:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

The Before Times posted:

The Yarra building is where the Koorie Heritage Trust is housed as well. Hope they're not being displaced.

They're staying in Fed Square and being moved to a bigger space. They're not unhappy about this at all.

The people whinging about it not being a commercial space clearly haven't been there in a while, it's already full of restaurants and food trucks (which are commercial, even if they're hospitality) and other businesses like that convenience store and whatever, not to mention the swathes of shops that surround it. Everyone wants a progressive government until we actually have one and before people jump on that statement with a long list of Andrews' sins, please keep in mind I'm not saying he's perfect or the second coming of Bernie, Lenin and Corbyn mashed together, just more progressive than the other actual option, and objectively progressive on many fronts.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

There’s a pretty big difference to the sense of space contributed to by a restaurant/cafe and an apple store

I disagree, but again, there's still the 7-11 there, for example. It'll also host workshops, classes, and music events. If that isn't the definition of "public space" I don't know what is. It's replacing an existing building (and again, the Koorie Heritage Trust aren't unhappy plus the original architect is on board), not taking new space, and it's the only one in the southern hemisphere, which means whether people like Apple or not, it'll be a tourist attraction, not to mention it's creating over 450 jobs all up.

I'm just laughing at all the people crying about it "ruining the design" of Fed Square when most people hated it until it won some wanky architectural design awards, and then everyone raced to prove they were the most cultured and actually they'd liked it all along.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I'm not fond of the design of Fed Square, but for it to work at all it needs to be 100%. This'll totally blow.

And again, the original lead architect, Donald Bates, disagrees with people who say it won't work.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

ewe2 posted:

So dropping the news in the week before Christmas of a backdoor sweetheart deal about a public space behind the public's back with not even the poor excuse of a tender process with a multi-billion tax-dodging corporation that sells overpriced junk that spies on you and trashes functional buildings is perfectly ok with you because it's a Labor government?! Get hosed, mate.

I never said anything about it being okay because it's Labor, I just said I disagree with the knee-jerk opposition because the space will be used for public events and activities and it's creating a bunch of jobs. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Apple and don't own any of their products, but I can put that aside to see the bigger picture.

As far as I can recall, you and I have never spoken or messaged, so I don't appreciate being told to get hosed merely for having a different opinion. If you disagree with me then fine, but resorting to "get hosed" is exactly the opposite of constructive debate. Solemn Sloth, MikeJF and I have respectfully disagreed with each other, so it'd be great if you could join in or keep out.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Where are you getting this stuff about the space being open to public events from? Nothing like it is mentioned in the ABC article. If you're referring to the additional open land created by the development, sure, but I wouldn't thank Apple for that.

Fed Square posted:

This isn’t just any regular Apple shop – as a Global Flagship Store and Apple’s most significant store in the Southern Hemisphere, the space will host workshops, classes, and live music events. It will add to the exciting program of events already delivered by Federation Square, its partners and cultural tenants such as ACMI, the Koorie Heritage Trust and the NGV.
http://fedsquare.com/an-apple-global-flagship-store-to-open-at-federation-square

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Although you can't tell from the description, some or all of these could easily just be paid commercial events for Apple's benefit.

Maybe, maybe not. Even if Apple is getting something out of it beyond venue hire/exposure, if classes are being run and concerts are being staged, there will still be more things to do in the city and jobs created, some in construction, some ongoing. As I say, I'm no huge fan of Apple, but I'm just not yet convinced that this is an irredeemably bad thing.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

Shannon Noll's version of What About Me?

Maybe The Horses, although that may be more of a Triple J ironic thing.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

You have to admit, it's a very hardy strategy.

Did not get enough love imo.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

bandaid.friend posted:

NSW Labor pledges to outlaw newspapers

I'd unironically back this with the exception of NT News, tbh.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Friend of mine hung out with Ludlam today. Apparently he's doing much better for being out of Parliament, so that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Ten Becquerels posted:

It depends on what your definition of help is. Their definition is 'help them to stop reminding me they exist'.

During the Voluntary Assisted Dying stuff, while the public hearings and inquiries were going on, there was this particular high-profile activist who attended most days. Because of the nature of his terminal illness, he had an oxygen mask and other breathing equipment with him, sitting in the gallery, minding his own business. During the lunch break one day, a group of people from a religious organisation who were also watching went up to one of the attendants and asked if the guy could be removed as it was distressing to them to see him.

• Locked thread