Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

poo poo wot happened in November

LGBT Marriage

https://twitter.com/tom_cowie/status/930582394523885568

Thanks to a resounding "YES" vote during the non-binding, non mandatory, postal vote plebiscite (being the way that conservatives desperately tried to jerryrig their way out of approving same sex marriage), Same Sex Marriage / Marriage equality is now mandatory.

(It's not quite ready to go yet, the bill is still before Parliament, but is guaranteed to pass - it has the numbers to do so, and has already passed one branch of parliament with little in the way of amendments that give people the right to keep discriminating against LGBT).

https://twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/930578796264214528

Kevin Rudd takes a moment from his concession speech, to congratulate Australia on voting Yes to SSM

This is much to the rage of right wing conservatives on both the labour and LNP, but mainly the LNP, who have desperately tried to amend the bill to reflect that florists and bakers (why is it always florists and bakers??) should have the right to refuse to gay people. Every amendment has been voted down, and the bill is now before the house of reps which for some reason was given an extra weeks break!

https://twitter.com/SydOperaHouse/status/930588602207150080

The Government is hosed, and we're probably going to have another early election in the next 12 months

...which sure as poo poo had nothing to do with a certain high court ruling that happened just prior to the announcement.

So yeah, the high court came back to rule on the never-ending saga that is section 44 of the constitution (that prevents a person from owning allegiance to another nation, and has been catching out shitloads of MPs and making them ineligible to be MPs). The high court ruled that 5 out of the 7 MPs who had been referred to the high court weren't eligible to be elected at the time they stood for parliament due to having dual citizenship by descent.

https://twitter.com/craigjack36/status/934984322888564736

One of those caught out was the former-Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby "allegedly got a staffer pregnant and then took her to get an abortion" Joyce. And then his replacement, Fiona Nash, was also kicked out for the same thing. The irony was that both Barnaby and Fiona were the Leader and Deputy leader of the National party, prompting twitter to erupt into sensible chuckles about "which nation"

https://twitter.com/Bishop64/status/935087656236589056

This triggered by elections in the now vacant seats leaving the government with a paper loving thin majority, leaving them particularly vulnerable to poo poo like..

A Banking Royal Commision

... two of their own MPs, who were so enraged about Same Sex marriage being legalised, going rogue and planning to introduce a Private Members bill to parliament to force a royal commission into Banking and Finance Culture, and how banks loving love to rip off their customers. This was done to embarrass the Government over Same Sex marriage (which the National Party, of the Liberal National Party, loving despises).

After a few days of threats, one of those MPs launching a website, and a deadline being set wherein those MPs would cross the floor, the banks mysteriously dropped a letter publicly calling for a Royal Commission to be lodged and get rid of all of the uncertainty that could potentially financially impact them.

Within 30 minutes of this letter, a royal commission had been called and terms of reference set :thunk: awfully coincidental timing there. Almost seems like a stitch up to me considering the timing! But then, I just work for one of the big 4, so what do I know :greenangel:

QLD had an election and we don't actually know who won???

QLD went to the polls last week and rather than doing the sensible thing and electing the adults and putting them back in charge, QLD basically said "gently caress the lot of you" and elected the equivalent of a hung parliament. Results are still up in the air at this point, but it looks like no one's got a clear majority. Labour got the most number of seats, the LNP got the next highest amount, and the rest went to independents and single issue parties.

This caused an immediate shitstorm from the media who went hard for the LNP to win, and who are calling on the incumbent Labour government to go into opposition in spite of the fact that, well, the LNP literally do not have enough (even with the help of the independents) to form government.

anyhoo, that's about all I can think of that happened last month, welcome to another riveting episode of loving #auspol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birdstrike posted:

reported op for first dog amount of words

Maybe report him for never finishing his loving lp

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I put up the thread late, people complain, I put it up early, people complain :shrug:

anyhow, hope people got a laugh out of the OP

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-01/barilaro-calls-on-malcolm-turnbull-to-resign/9214134 posted:

Malcolm Turnbull should resign, says NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro
By state political reporter Sarah Gerathy and Riley Stuart

Updated 5 minutes ago
NSW Nationals leader John Barilaro
Photo: John Barilaro said the Prime Minister was "completely out of touch". (AAP: Carol Cho)
Map: Australia

New South Wales Deputy Premier John Barilaro has called on Malcolm Turnbull to resign, describing the Prime Minister as "completely out of touch".

In an explosive interview on radio 2GB, Mr Barilaro questioned Mr Turnbull's leadership and said he had "lost all hope".

"Turnbull is the problem, the Prime Minister is the problem," he said.

"He should step down, allow for a clean out of what the leadership looks like federally.

"And whoever governs the country needs to make sure that they put the country and its people first."
Turnbull wearing a blue suit, red tie and dark-rimmed glasses, looks skyward with a sombre expression.
Photo: Malcolm Turnbull "is the problem", according to John Barilaro. (ABC News: Matt Roberts)

Mr Barilaro, the NSW Nationals leader, is the highest ranking Coalition MP to publicly call for the Prime Minister's resignation.

"You've got a party in disarray, a Coalition Government in disarray and a community not unified and that is all at the feet of the Prime Minister of Australia," he said.
'Go before Christmas'

Mr Barilaro rose to become NSW's Deputy Premier earlier this year.

"My view is, Turnbull should give Australians a Christmas gift and go before Christmas," he said.

Mr Turnbull said Mr Barilaro had not spoken to him about the concerns.

"It is odd he has never raised these matters with me personally," Mr Turnbull told Melbourne radio 3AW.

Mr Turnbull suggested Mr Barilaro made the comments because he was "trying to ingratiate himself" with radio host Alan Jones, who was interviewing him.

Mr Turnbull said if it was a serious view, Mr Barilaro would have spoken to him directly.

"He has got my number he can call me anytime," Mr Turnbull said.

He said people were not telling him that he should resign and when asked directly if the thought his time was running out he said: "No, absolutely not."

Mr Barilaro's criticisms this morning included the Prime Minister's response to the Queensland election.

The Deputy Premier said the state result had been a "disaster".

"What really got up my goat was on Sunday, was to hear the Prime Minister of this nation say there were no federal issues that affected the state election," he said.

"That's just a joke.

"If you're completely out of touch like that comment, which showed clearly that the federal issues were impacting on the way state voters were voting in a state election, in my mind, it just shows that there is no leadership."

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/936323979358322689

dear bill shorten, here's someone for you to take after

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/FakeChrisPyne/status/936038573316247552

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Have y'all considered just chilling the gently caress out because holy loving poo poo

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I went outside and it's positively scottish out there

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I dunno, I recognise that the libs are kind of making do with him as is, given the bullshit they were peddling on the radio today, so if a push comes it'll be an l/np split imo, because the nats really hate Turnbull.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is this a Hitler joke or a weed joke?

Yes

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

To the suprise of absolutely nobody, the mystery MP threatening to quit the coalition is George Christensen

Didn't he already come out and say "nah it's not me"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Resident Idiot posted:

From https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/01/michaelia-cash-claims-public-interest-immunity-over-union-raid-tipoff, though as usual the best jokes are on Twitter.

I never thought I'd live in a world where the best political journalist in the country works for Buzzfeed.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/cash-estimates?utm_term=.xt78AzM11#.ulBQeylNN posted:

Employment minister Michaelia Cash is still refusing to answer questions about her and her office's involvement in tipping off the media about police raids on union offices, as she fronted a Senate committee for the first time in 36 days.

The raids were made by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) on the behalf of the Registered Organisations Commission (ROC) on the Australian Workers' Union's (AWU) Sydney and Melbourne offices in late October. The raids related to donations made by the union over a decade ago when it was led by current Labor leader Bill Shorten.

Cash attempted to shut down questioning in her opening statement, telling the committee that despite her belief she is not under investigation by the AFP, answering questions would be sub judice.

The majority Liberal committee granted the minister the right to claim public interest immunity and shut down questions.

Officials from the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO) and the ROC also used this defence to refuse to answer questions.

Labor accused the government of hiding behind the sub judice convention, adding that the FWO and the ROC were complicit and not acting independently.

All denied the accusation.

After there had been no progress in the first 30 minutes of the committee meeting BuzzFeed News overheard ROC official Chris Enright say, "This has been a very productive half hour", and ROC commissioner Mark Bielecki reply "It has".

BuzzFeed also heard ROC and FWO officers say "I could do this all day" and Labor was "getting pretty desperate" during the committee break.

Bielecki and Enright admitted to making comments, but FWO officers denied making any comments.

Cash was also observed pointing across to someone across the room and twice exclaiming "girl power" during a committee break.

The government and the opposition accused the other of using the committee for political stunts.

Cameron said the government purposely stacked the committee with Liberal senators to help Cash's "cover-up" and restrict its interrogation.

Adding fuel to Labor's fire, Cash also confirmed she hadn't referred any other matter to the ROC, other than the donations made by the Shorten-led AWU.

In outlining the rules of the Senate, Odgers' Australian Senate Practice states: "The sub judice convention is regarded as applying to proceedings in committees. If, however, a committee has been directed by the Senate to inquire into a particular matter, the convention cannot be invoked in the committee to prevent the inquiry."

The employment committee is made up of four Liberal senators, Linda Reynolds (chair), Ian Macdonald, Slade Brockman and James Paterson. Labor is represented by Murray Watt and Doug Cameron. Cross bench senator Derryn Hinch was also in attendance.

Cash used her immunity defence to block any questions about David De Garis — the former senior media adviser who tipped off media outlets about police raids on union offices.

At one point in the committee Cash refused to answer Cameron's question about how long De Garis had worked in her office.

"Are you serious minister?" asked Cameron.

BuzzFeed News reported yesterday that AWU investigators have been unable to locate De Garis to serve a Federal Court subpoena.

De Garis resigned last month after admitting he tipped off the media about the Australian Federal Police's (AFP) raids on the AWU's Sydney and Melbourne offices in October.

The raids were part of an investigation by the Turnbull government-established watchdog the ROC into donations made by the union over a decade ago when it was led by current Labor leader Bill Shorten.

Media arrived at the offices before the raids took place, and BuzzFeed News revealed that media outlets had been tipped off by Cash's office.

After resigning De Garis was allowed to leave Parliament House with his work phone, and without providing Cash's office with a full debrief on the incident.

The following day, Cash told Senate Estimates her office was unable to locate De Garis and that he was not returning phone calls. However, he was still taking calls on his work phone to journalists in the press gallery.

Cash said today she hadn't spoken to De Garis since he resigned, but had attempted unsuccessfully to call him after his resignation. She said she was advised on Thursday October 26 that due to the likelihood of an AFP investigation, she should not attempt to contact him again.

Labor has repeated its calls for Cash to resign.

"If the minister claims that she cannot answer any questions about the AFP criminal investigation, which clearly centres on her office, then she must stand aside immediately," shadow minister for employment and workplace relations Brendan O'Connor told BuzzFeed News.

"The prime minister must show some leadership and ask senator Cash to stand aside. By once again refusing to answer any questions, Michaelia Cash is attempting an obvious cover-up. The integrity of the government is shot."

Cash is also using the current AFP investigation to block freedom of information requests to release communication that would confirm exactly what she and her staff knew about the raids, when they knew it, and who they told.

The AWU requested any correspondence between Cash, her office and the ROC, in addition to any correspondence between the minister and relevant staff members. This could include any text messages, emails, phone lists and other correspondence.

A similar request made by BuzzFeed News was also denied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL7WTIb6rqw&t=41s

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birdstrike posted:

1. The greens councillor dude - elected goon
2a. Tbk - nearly elected goon
2b. Anidav - got voted a bunch of times in forums mafia

1/ is Rhodri - he's a greens councillor in Vic.

Or it could be QM?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/candysnap/status/936857173836972032

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

Scrunt update:

Making bumper stickers in his spare time.

79% rate of return on a non-compulsory, non-binding vote is a loving fantastic engagement rate.

Scrunt can gently caress right off back to his cave.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DancingShade posted:

Uh.

Does he need a dermatologist or a cardiologist?

Yes

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If old mate Windsor had contested, it would have been a less close result but him stepping out it was readily apparent that yeah, Joyce was going to win.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

pokemon posted:

yeah my personal philosophy is not "look at all these hollywood sickos", it's "look at these loving men". it's the same way i feel about mass shooters

of course i am also extremely anti-semitic

Let me tell you about the crimes committed by Ariel..

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rip avs, your fiery light blinds all who look too close

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

pokemon posted:

ps - i'm auditioning for hard quiz season 3 next weekend

I will pay you cash money to goatse them

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Watching those games get destroyed is a loving art form tbh

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

They reheld the vote apparently. No idea what grounds they used to revote. Quorum exists for a reason.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Had a JBHifi page up to buy the wife a Fitbit for chrimbo, from before amazon launched - $189

Amazon launched in aus, their price $137

refresh page - JB Hifi "Red hot deal" $137

:thunk:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's a pointless bit of propaganda because unless you work for a bank they're just those fuckers that:

- take out hundreds/thousands a month for mortgage
- want you to pay back that credit card debt
- are never open
- charge fees despite being never open
- won't give you that loan for a sweet new car/laptop/boat

and then when you work for a bank, your view of customers is utterly distorted by seeing the worst of the worst on a regular basis, with utterly ludicrous demands that the bank couldn't do even if they wanted to

poo poo these days if i get someone who's even remotely nice to me, I drop so many fees so fast that technically the only things they're paying for are cost to the bank.

This happens less often than i like

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

comeon what do they do?

The customers?

well, I can only speak abstractly here but my team are often the last "normal" team they see before we send them off to high risk collections, so if they're in my spot, there's a higher than average chance that they're in financial distress and extremely hostile to anyone from the bank.

Usually they've come to our spot because they're selling a house, or they want us to agree to do something that's a negative to the bank. sometimes we agree to it, sometimes we , depends on what they're aiming for.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Until ol' rupes pulls him in, see: Pell.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fake news, same sex marriage doesn't exist - don't you know a man gets ravaged by a croc in the nt every 3 minutes? let's fix that first

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Are... are we sure that's spit?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/janeenorman/status/938238578546454528

:thunk:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bob Katter's an actual human monster

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/RealMarkLatham/status/938548031154110464

This is ... something

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/938663617309827072

A few others (like Abbott and Andrews) didn't show up.

So Abbott loving rocked up to do his speech, then hosed off before he had to vote

your tax dollars

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cpt Soban posted:

Good ol' Barnaby spends the entire debate defending "traditional marriage" then leaves his wife - Hardly "traditional".

It's the traditional end when one allegedly knocks up a staffer.

It's not insinuated that he left her.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JBP posted:

:lol:

Lowes are ahead of the curve. I want one from Gerry Harvey.

"Love wins, now support the application of GST to items less than $1000!"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tim Nicholls has allegedly conceded defeat.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

The worst state is the state of hope.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

e: WRONG THREAD

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Those interns, clearly taking G Spot Runs advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/939610058492489728

bowmore posted:

I hope Greg voted for Miss Banana

Auspol December - I hope Greg votes for Miss Banana.

• Locked thread