Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

PM status upgraded from "Embattled" to "Beseiged". How many more adjectives before "Former"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Lock in February 13th, thanks Eddie.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Krabboss posted:

I talk about this with my mum sometimes, she's a farmer and has always lived in regional Australia. To her credit, she's always voted independent and hates boomers and austerity. From the people she talks to, there's frustration that politicians tend to ignore the regions and a feeling as if the regions are propping up the population centres. I don't know why people think Brisbane needs a shithole town with barely any industry, but they do. They seem to think if the government tosses them a project to rebuild a highway or ends skilled migration, their town will bounce back from 30% youth unemployment.

I mean it's pretty hard to accept that your profession is now worthless and your hometown is just hosed, but it ain't very helpful to think that regional towns will some day bounce back to their former glory.

I live in regional NSW and the attitude that the country props up the city is widespread. I've tried to explain that the GDP and gross state product is overwhelmingly generated in the cities but no one in the country wants to hear that. Even mining is pissweak compared to the services economy.

Not to say that having vibrant regional, rural and remote communities isn't important, but they're longing for a time that ended at least 50 years ago.

Still, I wish that we could see more development in regions instead of building the tolled four lane parking lots of the future in Sydney. The place is full, build elsewhere.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

loving hell ABC24, twenty minutes ago they had IPA shill Georgina Downer in to discuss the news, now they’re gently lobbing in a bunch of softball questions for Matthias Cormann to knock out of the park.

• Locked thread