Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Just transferred $900 into my Roth, maxing it out for the first time ever. Gonna keep setting aside money for the rest of the year so I can dump it all into 2019 contributions and start the year off right. Plan is to throw most of my tax return in there as well and hopefully max Roth out before end of May, and then crank up my 401k contributions, which are at 10% right now to maybe like 20%.

Received a big bill from my doctors office for some x-rays I had, but got it sorted with them and the insurance company and now only owe $9. Also, physical therapy has only been charging me ~$50 or so a visit after insurance, which is a lot less than I thought it would be, so that's good.

Net worth mostly stagnant due to market, but whatevs.

Still getting fatter. My workload has increased substantially due to a number of reasons and unfortunately that has meant longer days. Diet has suffered and finding time to exercise has been more difficult. It's also getting colder and darker so opportunities to run outside are waning. Need to start hitting the gym.

Also time to start looking forward at goals for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

October update

Goals:

- Max Roth IRAs
- Meet company match on HSA On track
- Meet company match on 401k On track
- 50/month in daughter's 529 On track
- 50/month in son's 529 On track
- Buy a new minivan with more than 75% cash
- Help my wife make money on Etsy She is quitting her part-time job at the end of November to devote more free time to making this a reality. I still think the actual goal won't be hit until early next year.
- Try to get at least 6 weeks of paternity (my company has no paternity leave policy). Worst case - 2 weeks off, and 4 weeks work from home. Best case - 6 weeks off with sporadic working from home when I can, but not 40 hours per week

Maybes:

- Finish cleaning up the basement and turn it into a play area. Not going crazy with finishing the basement, but getting carpet remnants and some cheap furniture will make it nicer Not going to happen.
- Release another iPhone app. Actually monetize this one This is definitely not happening.
- If my current job doesn't get better, start looking for a new one

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Progress:
1) Increase NW by at least $50,000 Not on track. Market took a big hit. Probably with bonuses I will come close. Right now up by $11,300 over last year
2) Max 401k and IRA On track with automatic contributions, I'll consider this done.
3) Another $24,000 in to housing downpayment fund Nothing yet, but I think we'll make it at end of year based on my bonuses etc.
4) Max wife IRA Will happen, she made enough money this year through work and school stipend. I don't think she's moved the money yet, though.
5) Pay for more grad school tuition without taking on debt. No debt and wife has a tuition waiver this semester, which helps a lot. Great job wife!
6) Spend no more than $22,500 on acquiring stupid impractical car Success, it was like, $19,600 (pay no attention to the massive maintenance bills subsequent to it)

adding the additional goals of running 6 mi/week in September, 8 mi/week in October, and 10 mi/week in November

September success, october not success, november I will revise to 8 mi/week

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I have a bit of a dilemma as to how I should be allocating my savings. I understand that typically the mantra is "pay down debt first once you get an emergency fund", and given a long time-horizon I absolutely understand the wisdom of that way of thinking. My current issue is that my wife and I are saving for a down payment on a house, and would like some thoughts on our particular situation as a gut-check as to how to proceed.
We currently live in a rental house owned by a church who have stated in the past that they may want to sell it sometime in the future, and our lease is up in about 14 months. There's no guarantee they'll sell it then, and we may go month-to-month, but I'd say there is a greater than 50% chance they will sell when our lease is up. Ideally we'd like to have our down payment squared away by then to avoid having to incur the costs of moving again and to not have to roll the dice in finding a new rental. Housing in Seattle is $$$$$$$, so our down payment is going to have to be pretty hefty ($75k+ at least to even scratch 12%, ideally I'd like to get to $100k but I'm not sure we'll have time). Both our professional and personal lives are very tied to the central city so moving north or south where it's cheaper is out of the question for the purposes of this analysis.
We're currently saving around 17% of our gross income a month and have around $20k saved. By my math we can get to about $75k give or take by the time our lease is up if we continue at our current rate of saving from our paychecks, and saving 100% of my bonuses and our tax returns.
The big question is regarding our credit card debt.
We don't have tons relative to our income, about $8k total between the two of us. We're currently paying $475/mo to reduce our balance, though because we mainly use them around the holidays so as not to impair our liquidity/savings rate, the balance will probably not drop considerably by the end of the year on a net basis.
If we had another couple years to save for a down payment I'd say we should just use our savings to zero out our CC balances rather than pay interest, but we can't use CCs to help with the down payment so does it make sense to violate the "pay down debt first" rule in this time-limited case?
Just from a purely mathematical standpoint, we're paying $475/mo to our cards, and if we paid all $8k off it would take 17 months to save that money back if we didn't have the CC payment, so it seems like keeping on our current path nets us more savings at the end of our lease. Interest is a waste of money though, so I'm torn.

Thoughts?

tl;dr do we pay off our credit cards and hamper our down payment savings or let it ride and get to home ownership before our lease is up?

Now that I'm typing this out it seems like paying off the cards and saving the cc payment still seems like the better choice as a few grand isn't going to make or break a down payment...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The end of October!!!
Hold up, you got a baby cooking up?!? Congrats dude!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Personally I would pay it off now and save on the interest. That's gonna be an extra couple hundred a month saved I would imagine.

You could also try opening a new card with 0% intro APR and pay down quicker by saving on interest that way, just make sure to get it paid off before the introductory period is over.

How much interest do you pay each month?

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Personally I would pay it off now and save on the interest. That's gonna be an extra couple hundred a month saved I would imagine.

You could also try opening a new card with 0% intro APR and pay down quicker by saving on interest that way, just make sure to get it paid off before the introductory period is over.

How much interest do you pay each month?

Not certain, I could check, but back of the napkin probably 15% avg APR on $8k is in the ballpark of $100/mo at the current balance. I know that over the long run it'll save us probably a grand in interest which is why it's tempting to pay it off outright, but in liquid cash terms for the down payment it's basically net negative by ~$1350 at the end of 14 months to pay off the CCs up front.

Like I say though, $1300 on $75k is basically a rounding error so I may have answered my own question. Thanks for listening to me talk it out anyway :)

himajinga fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 3, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Pay the credit cards, amigo. Especially if you're carrying a balance on them.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

moana posted:

Hold up, you got a baby cooking up?!? Congrats dude!

thanks moana we couldn't be more excited and our first thinks she's "very ready" to be a big sister lol she's got no idea what she's in for.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Happiness Commando posted:

2018 Goals:

Sock away $25,000 in retirement investments (IRA + brokerage)

That's all I got.

2018 is pretty much over, so I'll check in. I started a new job with a startup that I thought was pretty dreamy, but they let me go after three months of no funding and no clients. I got a new job within a month that is actually and legitimately dreamy, and even better, has given me access to a 401k for the first time. The match is poo poo - 25% on 6% with a three year vest - but the tax advantaged space is pretty amazing. Also there are bonuses and profit sharing plans (admittedly with a five year vest, but still).

I had almost no income in 2017 for some GWL reasons, so 2018 involved maxing out two years worth of IRAs, one 401k and one HSA, plus some extra in a taxable brokerage account.

When my HSA is maxed out at the end of this month, I will have socked away just under 42% of my gross income - $35500. I should have most if not all of next year's IRA deposit saved up and ready to go by January 1st.

Im hoping to break 50% savings in 2019. Conservative estimates of future savings with no career growth indicate I only have to work for another 12 years or so - not short but definitely not long. Life happens and all that, but I'm feeling like I absolutely won the gently caress out of this year.

I'm still thinking about putting some small bits of money into a 529 plan next year, even though I have no concrete plans for future education. It seems like a wise hedge, given how well I feel I'm doing, and I will accept any feedback you all want to suggest

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

himajinga posted:

We're currently saving around 17% of our gross income a month and have around $20k saved. By my math we can get to about $75k give or take by the time our lease is up if we continue at our current rate of saving from our paychecks, and saving 100% of my bonuses and our tax returns.

hold up, i'm trying to understand this. what is your combined gross income? in 14 months you plan to increase your savings for a downpayment by $55K. this means on average saving just under $4K/mo. You are claiming that this represents 17% of your gross income, but there's a chunk that comes from tax returns and bonuses. OK. assuming that, say, half of that $4k/mo contribution is coming from your direct monthly gross income, when I do some rear end backwards math, I get that your monthly income is around $12K

now i recognize that this is based on a fairly swaggy assumption about your planned contributions to your downpayment but if you are grossing $12K/mo what the gently caress are you doing with $8,000 in credit card debt and how did you get in that position in the first place?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Oct

Guest2553 posted:

1) Save 24k saved Met monthly contribution but still a couple g's behind for the year. Probably won't make it in Nov due to some planned above-average spending (kid stuff, house stuff, hobby stuff we're willing to splurge on)
2) Get recommended and selected for a promotion at work Reporting is late this year for whatever reason, but I'm mostly sure I made it. Senior people I'm friendly with are also under the same impression from what they've heard, so...yay? :confuoot:
3) Read a book every month Done
4) Get (back) into shape and look good naked by 1) working out at least 5 times a week I worked out maybe 5 times in the whole month, so rip. Last month's illness ballooned into some complication that kept me sick for half the month.
2) eating a big-rear end salad for at least 5 days a week Met spirit but not letter of this one - wasn't eating salads on account of being sick, but did eat healthy overall.

Stretch goal is to do a 2-3 day backpacking trip per month once the weather gets warm and go on a hunting trip The weather's turned for the year so I'll probably stick to day trips until it warms up again. I don't have any big game tags but small game season opened a few days ago.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

We're going to come out of this year having accomplished like a 37% gross savings rate. Not too shabbeh. Can't wait til the debt's gone and THAT money can go in this direction also.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

OK, so here goes.

I just got a low five figure inheritance from my mom passing. I work a high-paying contracting job with zilch benefits, then take night class twice a week, so I don't have much time at all to do much of anything. I live in NYC, the home of overpriced... everything. I'm leaning towards saving up the 10% down-payment to buy a place (50K I can easily save) by the time my lease is up in late Oct 2019. I am sick and tired of flushing money down the toilet renting.

...But then I remember I have some long forgotten 401k with maybe 1400 in it. That's it. I cashed out one from last year because it was either that or starve and get evicted. I do want to retire some day...

So I'm open to any and all advice. I'm an IT dorko, I major in political science, because those are what I love, I'm 35, and my mom's passing made me realize I've pretty majorly hosed up my saving and planning for the future and time has that habit of moving inexorably forward. I've just lived day by day. I've also got a "Rainy Day" account with about 20K in it in savings. I just keep it there because I've walked off the job more than once, emergency medical bills, etc. So long story, I've got about... 30K to do with as I see fit. One week's net pay covers about.... 90ish percent of bills, maybe 95.

My apologies if I'm babbling, I already know this job I started two months ago won't last much longer due to the "So that's why this city has so many bars" poo poo I see and my mom's passing kinda was a steel-toed boot to the stomach for me. :(

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
First off very sorry about your mother's passing. Don't make any decisions about the money until you have had some time to grieve, process, and are in a state of mine to make a considered unemotional decision about it.

Second, if I were you in apparently constant anticipation of losing your contracting gig, I would probably keep an absolute minimum of 6 months of rent and expenses in high-yield savings and never consider dipping below that amount, even for a down payment on a house, and perhaps especially for a downpayment on a house.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

CHEF!!! posted:

OK, so here goes.

I just got a low five figure inheritance from my mom passing. I work a high-paying contracting job with zilch benefits, then take night class twice a week, so I don't have much time at all to do much of anything. I live in NYC, the home of overpriced... everything. I'm leaning towards saving up the 10% down-payment to buy a place (50K I can easily save) by the time my lease is up in late Oct 2019. I am sick and tired of flushing money down the toilet renting.

...But then I remember I have some long forgotten 401k with maybe 1400 in it. That's it. I cashed out one from last year because it was either that or starve and get evicted. I do want to retire some day...

So I'm open to any and all advice. I'm an IT dorko, I major in political science, because those are what I love, I'm 35, and my mom's passing made me realize I've pretty majorly hosed up my saving and planning for the future and time has that habit of moving inexorably forward. I've just lived day by day. I've also got a "Rainy Day" account with about 20K in it in savings. I just keep it there because I've walked off the job more than once, emergency medical bills, etc. So long story, I've got about... 30K to do with as I see fit. One week's net pay covers about.... 90ish percent of bills, maybe 95.

My apologies if I'm babbling, I already know this job I started two months ago won't last much longer due to the "So that's why this city has so many bars" poo poo I see and my mom's passing kinda was a steel-toed boot to the stomach for me. :(
First of all, condolences on your mom's passing. Grief makes it difficult to plan things. You sound like you're in a decent position financially, so don't feel like you need to urgently address these things. There will be some time to take care of yourself first.

As far as housing goes, renting is not "flushing money down the toilet." Rent is the most amount of money you have to pay to live somewhere. A mortgage is the least amount of money you have to pay to live somewhere. If you feel a little behind on saving and planning for the future, buying a house - an incredibly complicated and expensive process which results in an incredibly complicated and expensive asset to maintain - should not be your next step.

In the near-term, focus on continuing to save, making a budget so you have a handle on your finances, calculate out how much you need to save to have a stable retirement, get your systems in place to achieve that savings, and then move onto looking at buying a house (if you decide it's something you really want to do). There are a lot of little things that are worth mapping out first before you get to that one.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Echoing Hoodwinker here, it is definitely not "throwing money away" to rent. If you truly want to buy a place (meaning you can't move away for 5+ years, and it doesn't sound like you're a big NYC fan) then you need to start saving money like crazy, especially given that you're way, way, way behind on retirement saving. It sounds like you make enough money that you can catch up (how much is "high paying"?) but you need to, after taking a good amount of time to process your recent loss, figure out what your real priorities are.

Also, start your own thread or post in newbie questions or something, this one doesn't get a lot of traction outside the first of the month and everyone's really only posting about themselves

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m a bit late to join in for 2018, but I figure I might as well get started in preparation for next year. I posted a bit in the retirement planning and student loan threads some time ago asking for advice, and since then I’ve fired my financial planner, taken charge of our retirement, student loans, and general financial management myself. We’re 37 and 38, to give a context to the retirement saving situation.

My wife is a physician in a field with high burnout risk, and she’s been depressed for a while. As a result my overarching goals are to reduce our liabilities as much as possible while also trying to plan retirement. We’ve got a fair amount of student loan debt from medical school as well as two homes we’re paying on, the old one we’re renting at a slight loss to relatives. I’m a scientist and make a good income as well, with good benefits.

Overall Goals:
1. Pay off Wife’s student loans
Status: In the last twelve months, since I started actively targeting this we’ve paid down the balance from 122k to 84k. We presently owe 54k in 3.25% interest loans and 30k at 6.55%. My goal is to eliminate the 6.55% loans in 6 months, paying 5k extra each month to achieve that. Once this is done we’ll have a fixed 1200/month payment for the remaining 50k, which should pay off in four or five years. Whether we pay it off faster depends on the burnout situation.

2. Maximize 401k and IRA contributions. Almost done. The 401ks have been maximized (at 18500) for years for both of us, but I just started the IRAs two months ago. Because we’re over the limit I’m using a backdoor Roth for each of us. One of the good things our financial planner did was encourage my wife to convert her 30k residency IRA to a Roth. However, he neglected to tell her about the tax implications, which led to a fun April tax bill a few years ago, since it happened immediately after we bought our house. We currently have 130k and 70k in our 401Ks and 34000/4000 in our IRAs.

3. Emergency Fund: Because of the large liabilities we have from two homes + loans, I’m targeting an emergency fund balance of 50k. Our fixed monthly liabilities should drop to 6-7000 in six months, so I feel comfortable with that amount in a low risk (VMMXX) account. We’re at 34000 now and I’m adding 1500/month.

4. Investment Fund: I put 10k into VTSAX as a starting taxable brokerage fund a few months ago. It doesn’t really make sense to do this while also paying off loans, but I viewed it as another ancillary source of emergency money. I’m not adding more to it until the loans and emergency fund are satisfied, but after that I want this to be the primary spot for additional income to go, since I have concerns about the sustainability of our income long term.

5. Mortgages: Our first house was bought shortly after we had our first child, and it was near my Wife’s family. Unfortunately, it’s in a bad school district and the house is now worth less than we paid for it. We’re renting it, but it’s losing a few hundred/month. Long term we’ll sell it at a loss, but we have another year of renting for it to potentially be tax-advantageous to do so. Our primary home has PMI, so my last real goal is paying down enough extra to remove the PMI and save a few hundred/month. I’ll switch to a biweekly payment scheme for both houses at some point too, since my wife and I are both paid biweekly and it will be advantageous long term.

Velius fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 9, 2018

Jan 11, 2004
It sounds like your priorities are reasonable and you are taking the correct steps to take control of your situation. Good luck with your wife's work situation, I hope she's able to strike a balance and find something that is sustainable long-term. I totally understand how bad it must suck to grind through medical school and residency and worry about burning out after all of that.

With respect to the student loans, luckily you are now almost out of your relatively high-interest debt, but you no doubt cost yourself thousands of dollars in interest over the last several years by not seeking to refinance medical school loans at historic low interest rates.

With regards to the mortgage situation, are you really losing money on the rental after mortgage principal or are you simply in a negative cash flow? If you have the opportunity to eliminate expensive PMI that may change your calculus of keeping the home and that should be one of your next goals. You can calculate the effective interest rate of PMI by dividing the payment by the amount of principal you would have to pay down to eliminate it. I would not be surprised if it was effectively more than 10% if you are in the 80 to 90% LTV range and therefore a high priority to pay down.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hold up, i'm trying to understand this. what is your combined gross income? in 14 months you plan to increase your savings for a downpayment by $55K. this means on average saving just under $4K/mo. You are claiming that this represents 17% of your gross income, but there's a chunk that comes from tax returns and bonuses. OK. assuming that, say, half of that $4k/mo contribution is coming from your direct monthly gross income, when I do some rear end backwards math, I get that your monthly income is around $12K

now i recognize that this is based on a fairly swaggy assumption about your planned contributions to your downpayment but if you are grossing $12K/mo what the gently caress are you doing with $8,000 in credit card debt and how did you get in that position in the first place?

Long story short, we got married and paid for it all ourselves out of savings, not counting some cash gifts for the honeymoon etc and then moved right when we got back with all the expenses that entails, and then like a month after we moved I got laid off because my company's Seattle office closed. I had just finished my CFA and so was at a turning point in my career and wanted to hold out for the position I really wanted so getting a job took ~6 months and Seattle is hella expensive (rent+WSG+heat+internet alone is $2300/mo), we both have student loans, etc. etc. You are correct that we're saving like $2000/mo, first thing we wanted to focus on was rebuilding our emergency fund, which is why we let the cards ride, which may not have been the right order of operations but here we are.

I think we'll just pay off our cards first and hope the impending recession craters home prices again which should hopefully convince our landlords to not sell and will allow us to swoop in and buy the dip.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It sounds like your priorities are reasonable and you are taking the correct steps to take control of your situation. Good luck with your wife's work situation, I hope she's able to strike a balance and find something that is sustainable long-term. I totally understand how bad it must suck to grind through medical school and residency and worry about burning out after all of that.

With respect to the student loans, luckily you are now almost out of your relatively high-interest debt, but you no doubt cost yourself thousands of dollars in interest over the last several years by not seeking to refinance medical school loans at historic low interest rates.

With regards to the mortgage situation, are you really losing money on the rental after mortgage principal or are you simply in a negative cash flow? If you have the opportunity to eliminate expensive PMI that may change your calculus of keeping the home and that should be one of your next goals. You can calculate the effective interest rate of PMI by dividing the payment by the amount of principal you would have to pay down to eliminate it. I would not be surprised if it was effectively more than 10% if you are in the 80 to 90% LTV range and therefore a high priority to pay down.

You’re not wrong about the student loan interest. It doesn’t seem likely to be worthwhile at present, though, since I would need to consolidate the 3.25s up and the higher rate stuff will be gone soon.

Regarding the mortgages, the PMI is on my primary residence, not the rental. The rental is $1400/month for the mortgage including tax and interest, and we’re getting $800 from a cousin who is renting it. The cousin is finishing nursing school soon at which point we will be raising the rent to cover the mortgage in full. I’d still like to ditch the property medium term because I’m not sure they’ll stay indefinitely. They’re on my wife’s side or I’d be more comfortable checking in on their long term plans. Maybe during the holidays I can catch up.

For our primary residence PMI is 142.50/month. We’d need to pay 43k to get to 80% principal balance relative to the closing price/appraised value, so that’s looking like a ~4% interest rate, or slightly worse than the mortgage alone. Am I correct in considering this as additional interest to the 3.625% I’m paying for that 43k already, so really it should be treated as a 7.625% rate? If so then clearly that should be prioritized once the student loan debt is gone, probably above a taxable brokerage account.

Velius fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 9, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

himajinga posted:

Long story short, we got married and paid for it all ourselves out of savings, not counting some cash gifts for the honeymoon etc and then moved right when we got back with all the expenses that entails, and then like a month after we moved I got laid off because my company's Seattle office closed. I had just finished my CFA and so was at a turning point in my career and wanted to hold out for the position I really wanted so getting a job took ~6 months and Seattle is hella expensive (rent+WSG+heat+internet alone is $2300/mo), we both have student loans, etc. etc. You are correct that we're saving like $2000/mo, first thing we wanted to focus on was rebuilding our emergency fund, which is why we let the cards ride, which may not have been the right order of operations but here we are.

I think we'll just pay off our cards first and hope the impending recession craters home prices again which should hopefully convince our landlords to not sell and will allow us to swoop in and buy the dip.

word sounds good

pay off those cards ASAP, i'm a pretty firm believer that if you're carrying any consumer debt that you are not in a position to buy a house

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

word sounds good

pay off those cards ASAP, i'm a pretty firm believer that if you're carrying any consumer debt that you are not in a position to buy a house

Cool, thanks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

After you’ve bought the house, of course, fill your boots.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

2) Get recommended and selected for a promotion at work

:siren::woop::toot:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Congrats!!!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Way to go!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Thanks! It won't be effective until next year, but when it does it'll be an immediate 7% pay bump (increasing to 20%) and a probable jump from junior to middle management in a field I like.

While I'm posting, might as well mention that I won't make savings goal this month. We recently figured out that our bed is exacerbating my wife's back issues, so we're getting a new mattress. Not a necessity, strictly speaking, but the one-off 1k price tag is worth the increased quality of life. Which is more than I can say for the hunting rifle I've been eyeing...

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

November - :banjo:

Raise net worth from 101k to 134k: $126.7k
Increase house fund from 11.2k to 20.7k: $22.3k SURPASSED!
Increase e-fund from 7.6k to 9.6k: $9.6k DONE!
Contribute $2.6k to Roth IRA: $2420 (On track!)
Pay ~3k out of pocket for college: $2950 DONE!

One more paycheck after this. Just tossing as much into the house fund as I can.

Jan 11, 2004
November update. No real changes. Picking up some holiday shifts to grind out goal $$$.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Long time reader, first year poster. Editing a little bit to clarify and operationalize some items. Thank you to all posters in these annual threads as well as the rest of this sub for sharing your goals and successes. I have in many ways patterned my goals and financial life off of the advice and plans set forth in these threads.

State of the Union January 2018:
-Married, no kids
-Two professional incomes as of last year
-Student loans for both, mine refinanced to 3.5% and hers currently eligible for PSLF and an underserved repayment program
Interest rate on loans went way up due to increases in LIBOR. Good news is I was able to re-refinance to 3.0% on a shorter term for >$3k interest savings this year
-New house in late 2017, own three properties with three total rental units. Mortgages at 5.0%, 2.6% and 2.9%.
-Almost maxed 2017 403b/401k/solo 401k despite job change and both being ineligible for employer sponsored plans for part of the year
-Boring old US/intl/bond portfolio spread around between taxable and non taxable spaces

2018 Financial Goals:
1. Hit $500k household income, stretch goal $550k. Income here defined as active professional income exclusive of rental income, loan repayment checks, and passive sources such as investment dividends.
Still on target to just barely hit goal. If settlement comes this year it will be a six figure windfall as far as I am concerned at this point.
2. Increase NW $250k, stretch $300k. NW here defined as mint account NW inclusive of net real estate and vehicle equity.
+$216k, it's going to be close but if the market continues to bounce back a bit we could make it
3. Reaccumulate $50k cash after house purchase and 12/31 tax prepayments (thanks Trump)
Done
4. 75% of take home, post estimated tax payments to debt reduction, savings, or investments
Haven't calculated this but no way we even got close because of the unpaid wages
5. Debt reduction strategy dictated by loan interest and tax considerations, will divide monthly savings after mortgages and car payments between student loan and cash investments at present
One little quirk here was that I threw some cash at two mortgages to clear PMI and slightly improve cash flow. Student loan interest rate continues to hold steady.
6. Max backdoor Roth IRAs
Done
7. Max combination of Solo 401k, 401k, 403b, and mega backdoor Roth
Maxing both of our 401ks and now I have profit sharing with my new job, which is great
8. Work credit card sign up bonuses and 0% APR periods to maximum advantage, 2017 was a great year for points
Another 0% APR intro rolling for 15 months, having 0% APR credit was also helpful when I wasn't paid for a couple months
9. Attempt to do all travel this year on points or expensed, spend less than $5k cash on travel
Just got back from a pleasant expensed business trip. There is a spring conference in Hawaii I want to take my wife to, and I will be able to expense everything except her plane ticket, which is beautiful. Also about to collect 100k AMEX points which will pay for plane tickets to France next year.
10. Investigate establishing LLCs for rentals and retitling for tax benefits
Decided to do this after consulting with a new law firm.
11. Investigate converting some or all of my wage income to 1099 income for tax benefits
New job is still W2 but configured for maximum tax advantage, specifically with expense account and profit sharing
12. Try to increase professional side hustles e.g. consulting, maybe expert witness?
Have made a few thousand with research and consulting work, which was nice to have when my main source of income fell out. Not sure what the real upper limit of this is or if it will ever really rev up but it's decent to have either way.
13. Consider adding a rental property, cash situation and opportunity providing
Still didn't buy anything. Eyes still out.
13a. Consider consolidating IRAs/403b/Solo 401k to purchase rental property in self directed plan
See above
14. Make appointment with my lawyer to do actual estate planning
Called him but still haven't set a date for a real sit down. Still failing on this.
15. Consider trading toy car for less expensive toy car if I can walk away with cash.
Traded in the toy car for a different toy car that was somewhat cheaper..

Non-financial Goals:
16. Work out six days a week consistently
Still doing well on this, averaging about 5.5 days a week
16a. Build a cheap gym in my basement to facilitate this goal.
No activity, a 24/7 Planet Fitness opened two blocks from my house and for $10 a month has pretty much crushed the logic of spending money to build out a home gym
17. Run two races after a fat sad zero in 2017
Success!
18. Make friends in the new neighborhood
Planning a holiday party with the neighbors!
19. Do some improvements to the house and yard, possibly revamp the deck, do some gardening and landscaping
Got our driveway built, decorated our deck all cute, hired a landscaper to fix up our bushes and stuff
20. Try to cook more regularly
Still doing good on this
21. Lose 10 lbs as a result of 16 and 20
minus 4 lbs, no further change
22. Fun splurge for anniversary or birthday at a Michelin star restaurant, location TBD
Going to try something amazing in Paris as a birthday present to my wife next year. Suggestions?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

November update

Goals:

- Max Roth IRAs
- Meet company match on HSA On track
- Meet company match on 401k On track
- 50/month in daughter's 529 On track
- 50/month in son's 529 On track
- Buy a new minivan with more than 75% cash
- Help my wife make money on Etsy She quit her job, and now has 3 days a week completely free from kids and work. December is crazy, though, so I still think the actual goal won't be hit until early next year.
- Try to get at least 6 weeks of paternity (my company has no paternity leave policy). Worst case - 2 weeks off, and 4 weeks work from home. Best case - 6 weeks off with sporadic working from home when I can, but not 40 hours per week

Maybes:

- Finish cleaning up the basement and turn it into a play area. Not going crazy with finishing the basement, but getting carpet remnants and some cheap furniture will make it nicer Not going to happen.
- Release another iPhone app. Actually monetize this one This is definitely not happening.
- If my current job doesn't get better, start looking for a new one

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Current Liabilities -
- A bunch of student loans all registered and eligible for PSLF.
- Approximately 24 months into a 5/1 ARM with approximately 80% remaining.
- Two car loans. Still two car loans, but I bought a new car in exceedingly BWM fashion.
- Some (small) tax liability related to cashing out my crypto holdings early this tax year.
- Some (small) tax liability related to my expert witness consulting side hustle.

Current Assets -
- A house assessed roughly 60k over our remaining mortgage.
- Cars worth about what we owe.
- Retirement savings floating along in the market. No changes anticipated other than ongoing contributions.
- "6 month" emergency fund and advanced budgeted spending on-hand.

Net worth -
- It keeps going up.

By end of Q1:
- Pay remainder MBA tuition in full.
- Begin a taxable investment account.
- Document approval and payment status for student loan forgiveness.

By end of Q2:
- Breach zero net worth.
- Acquire MBA

By end of Q3:
- Pursue baby 2. We pregnant! 20 week ultrasound complete, appears we're having a boy :woop: :sotw:

By end of Q4:
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. Automatic.
- Under 80% value remaining on the mortgage so we can refinance if we have to. We're just going to move instead, and have begun house hunting to either move before the baby comes or two summers after (before the kids start school).

Yearly Goals:
- Acquire second medical directorship, commensurate pay increase and administrative time benefit. This is upcoming.
or
- Leave and found a startup. Not going to do it. Doing some consulting work instead. Has proven to be lucrative.

Things we will not try to do:
- Acquire any new debt. Oops, bought a new car.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. University president has agreed, will begin January 1, 2020.

Stretch Personal Goals
- One muscle up. Got sick for about 10 days in October, really set me back. My lifts are all up more than 50#, but I can't seem to get muscled up. Will continue this goal as long as it takes
- Thirty (30) new books read. I'm at 50 for the year so far, going for 52. Red Dead Redemption and Black Ops 4 really slowed my progress here, haha.
- Rower used 100 times. I've been going to the gym instead 2-5x a week, the rower is really just when I can't get there. I did add a treadmill to the basement for my wife for Christmas though (at her request)!
- Cook 48 meals. This one is done, and I capped the 48th with an absolutely insane turkey for Thanksgiving.
- Clean basement to where I would be comfortable hosting a World Cup viewing party. Done, yay France.
- Write a book to self-publish. Scrapped.

/bragging, but seriously we are incredibly grateful to have experienced so much amazing good fortune in the past 24 months. I'm incredibly indebted to many, many of you here in BFC for helping me and my family begin to think like adults about finances, and I try to pay it forward as much as possible with my colleagues, friends and family. I'm looking forward to formulating new goals for next year. I liked the format of crafting "SMART" goals as New Years Resolutions, and by and large it has really helped me get what I wanted to accomplish, accomplished. To another year as good as this one.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 3, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cars are your bane, man, the thing you always gently caress up is the cars

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Congrats on the bebe. What kind of car?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

AndrewP posted:

Congrats on the bebe. What kind of car?

Volvo XC60 T8 plug-in hybrid. KGJ specifically told me not to.

:yikes:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

goteborg's chinese overlords thank you :sweden::hf::china:

you complained incessantly about how much you were paying on the XC90 so why not do it again??

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Volvo XC60 T8 plug-in hybrid. KGJ specifically told me not to.

:yikes:

I agree with him only because it's not the the new V60 wagon :swoon:

Still nice though. I've been online-window shopping a new car for months but so far have successfully kept myself from actually going to a dealer.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hey I also threw my Financial Goals out of whack by buying a Volvo! No regrets, I’m loving my V60.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Financial goals are thrown completely out of whack (in a good way).. thanks grandma, I really miss you. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Been a while since I updated.

DJCobol posted:

1) Max out Roth IRA contributions of $5,500 - Done
2) Max out HSA contributions of $3,450 - Done
3) For the first time, max out 401(k) contributions of $18,500 - Done
4) Use tax return and/or annual bonus to remodel my bathroom by the end of April - Nope, maybe next year
5) Pay down current 5 year $21k car loan FAIL FAIL FAIL I bought a different car
6) Vacation somewhere not in North America (Iceland maybe?) Done, spent a few days in Frankfurt/Cologne/Nurburg in August

Stretch goal: pay off car loan completely by the end of the year Kinda went the other way on this one and now owe more because of the whole new car thing

I'll start a new thread for 2019 planning in a few days.