Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

this is art from the alien version of stephen gammell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

turns out they dont actually say green i would die but instead say this:

Yo listen up, here's the story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue
Like him, inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue Corvette
And everything is blue for him
And himself and everybody around
'Cause he ain't got nobody to listen
I'm blue da ba dee da ba daa
Da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa
I have a blue house with a blue window
Blue is the color of all that I wear
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue
Blue are the people here that walk around
Blue like my Corvette, it's in and outside
Blue are the words I say and what I think
Blue are the feelings that live inside me
I have a blue house with a blue window
Blue is the color of all that I wear
Blue are the streets and all the trees are too
I have a girlfriend and she is so blue
Blue are the people here that walk around
Blue like my Corvette, it's in and outside
Blue are the words I say and what I think
Blue are the feelings that live inside me

thank you i have learned so much

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FuhrerHat posted:

how come theyre all so blue anyway

Uhhhh I think it's a chromoprotein. I'm not super sure. Blue pigment is quire rare in nature, and many of the animals we think of as "blue" use optical tricks but don't contain blue pigment (e.g. the blue morpho butterfly and the bluejay). These animals are blue... FOR REAL.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, but you also have a giant crate of moldy kumquats or something so idk if I can trust your taste buds...

No like they're just flavorless rubber. I even think tripe is okay and jellyfish was like eating rubber bands in your food.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gently caress the ocean

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i hoep the ocean gets filled wit trash and everything dies lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here is a moving siphonophore, again not a man o war though, one of the ones hmmm I don't know offhand.

https://i.imgur.com/IfahVQB.mp4

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I've never been quite clear on the whole "colonial organism" thing. Is there a larval stage where these things are separate before they join together, or is this just a fancy way of saying it's one creature with a lot of redundant organs?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Dzhay posted:

I've never been quite clear on the whole "colonial organism" thing. Is there a larval stage where these things are separate before they join together, or is this just a fancy way of saying it's one creature with a lot of redundant organs?

i asked this earlier and nobody answered, so i think the answer is no

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

basically it's the voltron of living things

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Are there any dishes that use jellyfish? What's their nutritional value? I'm guessing not a lot.
They're bland but the texture+consistency is really interesting and if done with a good marinade are super good

e:

Pick posted:

There are, I've had them in Chinese cooking, they are gross.
or well to add to what I said above I guess maybe it's one of those things you have to grow up eating I dunno

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 1, 2017

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Hell Yeah posted:

wow..........

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dzhay posted:

Oh jeez man. no. oh man. how can you... man. jeez. i didn't even, i can't believe this. okay, for the one person here who doesn't understand the siphonophore's life cycle (GEEZ).

an egg of that species gets fertilized. the egg develops into a protozooid. the other zooids bud from the protozooid. so each organism has the same DNA, but they develop into completely different specialized zooids.

Obviously I'm loving with you, sort of. We still don't know a lot about how they develop. I mean the above is true, we think, but iirc not a ton is known about their lifecycles. They are not a "research priority" because no one has seen where they will get loaded researching them.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Pick posted:

Oh jeez man. no. oh man. how can you... man. jeez. i didn't even, i can't believe this. okay, for the one person here who doesn't understand the siphonophore's life cycle (GEEZ).

an egg of that species gets fertilized. the egg develops into a protozooid. the other zooids bud from the protozooid. so each organism has the same DNA, but they develop into completely different specialized zooids.

Obviously I'm loving with you, sort of. We still don't know a lot about how they develop. They are not a "research priority" because no one has seen where they will get loaded researching them.

wtf nobody studied this even once

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FuhrerHat posted:

wtf nobody studied this even once

1. will it make you rich?
2. will it get you laid?

if it does not meet criteria 1 or 2 you have to wait for a "devoted special interest person" to be willing to give up their lives for nothing in painstakingly researching it. i mean it's been known to happen, but a miriam rothschild only comes around once in a blue moon (and not, as it happens, a blue bottle)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i thought that was you??

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im not saying it was hydrozoans

but it was hydrozoans

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i will gently caress whoever can tell me how and when these guys shack up for life

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

2. will it get you laid?

if it does not meet criteria 1 or 2 you have to wait for a "devoted special interest person" to be willing to give up their lives for nothing in painstakingly researching it.
we need to build a time machine to pluck autistic naturalists from victorian times and then sell the time machine to be able to afford equipment for them.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Pick posted:

Obviously I'm loving with you, sort of. We still don't know a lot about how they develop. I mean the above is true, we think, but iirc not a ton is known about their lifecycles. They are not a "research priority" because no one has seen where they will get loaded researching them.

So why are we calling these zoöids different organisms? It sounds like an egg develops into one entire man o' war.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i guess the natural followup question would be by what metric do we consider it an amalgamation of different organisms to begin with, with what evidence? also same question wrt corals? i seem to recall hearing they were colonies also

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

FuhrerHat posted:

i will gently caress whoever can tell me how and when these guys shack up for life
drat I hope no one finds out then for their sake

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dzhay posted:

So why are we calling these zoöids different organisms? It sounds like an egg develops into one entire man o' war.

This is going to blow your mind but biology is messy as hell and what constitutes an "organism", "species", or even "living thing" has not been established nearly as precisely as you'd expect. We tend to assume things will fall into strict categories like that, and to be honest, they just don't. Have a Volvox if it makes you feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXTSxPZF0U

But mainly, it's that each organism is defined by a degree of modularity.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Protagonist posted:

i guess the natural followup question would be by what metric do we consider it an amalgamation of different organisms to begin with, with what evidence? also same question wrt corals? i seem to recall hearing they were colonies also

Yes, corals are colonial. Sponges are as well. There are colonies made of unicellular organisms, and colonies made of multicelluar organisms. aaaaa

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dzhay posted:

A human egg can split and develop into two identical twins but we don't consider them the same organism.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

so every multi-cellular lifeform is a colony of cells gotcha

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hell Yeah posted:

Where we gonna get all that trash? :shrug:

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Now THIS Is a PICK THREAD aaawwwww yeeahhhh YYAAAAHHHHH. WOOOOOOO

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Glad to see Pick doing an animal thread. This poo poo is always informative.

The Protagonist posted:

so every multi-cellular lifeform is a colony of cells gotcha
Well, given all the microorganisms living in every animal body there is an argument for that.

Pick posted:

2. will it get you laid?

if it does not meet criteria 1 or 2 you have to wait for a "devoted special interest person" to be willing to give up their lives for nothing in painstakingly researching it. i mean it's been known to happen, but a miriam rothschild only comes around once in a blue moon (and not, as it happens, a blue bottle)
:capitalism:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A blue button

And here's one being attacked by a blue dragon:

https://i.imgur.com/zPnuP1E.mp4

ha ha just kidding nerds. it's a nudibranch. also yes the name of it is actually a "blue dragon". nudibranchs are a type of sea slug, but as you can see this one swims freely, unlike for example the sea hare (anaspidians, who are cute as hell)

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
what about the regular ol' freshwater hydra. they're not too fancy but still cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFvJTmjUOyU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Holy poo poo those blue buttons are huge. A couple times in Mexico the shallows were filled with them but they were only an inch across. Stung like hell too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are also hydrozoan limnomedusae, which is to say freshwater jellyfish

bet you didn't even loving know there were freshwater jellyfish did you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Calvin Coolposts posted:

what about the regular ol' freshwater hydra. they're not too fancy but still cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFvJTmjUOyU

Yep it's kind of amazing how the life of Earth is all around us and wonderful. Too bad people constantly crap it all up so we can have garbage. "oh nooo penn and teller told me not to recycle" thanks guys

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For more Pick threads about animals, see the bottom of the OP in my Old Gastropod Thread. And if anyone wants to re-link all dat good stuff I will add some of the other that happened since, such as camels, donkeys, bats, and antelope.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This video I put together from BBC footage like a million years ago has a few hydrozoans in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSu65Bb9X4

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I really loving hate jellyfish and other cnidarians. Hopefully the reasons are obvious

FuhrerHat posted:

i thought that was you??

thats my favorite herbie hancock song

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pick posted:

There are also hydrozoan limnomedusae, which is to say freshwater jellyfish

bet you didn't even loving know there were freshwater jellyfish did you

No, and I hate it, but this is what I come to these threads for so

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Pick posted:

they got two holes

I thought jellyfish just had one hole that was both a mouth and a butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pick posted:

ha ha just kidding nerds. it's a nudibranch. also yes the name of it is actually a "blue dragon". nudibranchs are a type of sea slug, but as you can see this one swims freely, unlike for example the sea hare (anaspidians, who are cute as hell)

You forgot to mention that in addition to looking awesome, G. atlanticus also feeds on Portuguese man o' war and stores the stinging cells in their own body. :colbert: They are the most badass of all nudibranchs.

• Locked thread