Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Primordial Soup
Jul 31, 2010
Fellow synesthete here! Not looking to hijack, just add input. My experiences have been more along the Iines of naturally associating numbers and letters with colors, as well as musical timbres/rhythms/melodies creating abstract imagery in the mind's eye.

For example, in terms of the numbers/letters, ask yourself, "what color is (insert number here)?". For me, the number 7 is a prominent gold/orange, close to freshly squeezed orange juice. The number 1 is pure white. Therefore, when I think of 17 (or 71, or 171, or 717, 7117, etc.), my mind's-eye instills the impression of those colors based on the order. 17 is more like an egg over-easy (white outside, gold/orange "yolk"), whereas 71 feels like the opposite alignment (prominent orange, with white tones/specks thrown in).

In terms of the musical aspect, I am a musician/music instructor by trade so there has been a lot of opportunity to hone/sharpen these senses over the years. The rhythm/length of tones creates the size/length of the shape being experienced, the timbre creates the direction as well as the actual 'visual timbre'. For example, smoothly changing tones with no spaces in between will create curves with ebbs/flows. Short, staccato tones create jagged directionalities with unpredictable paths. The tonality of the music/instrument dictates the colors shown. A full band looks/feels like a 'symphony' of colors/shapes. This has been part of my teaching philosophies, because although this came naturally to me as a child, it does not for everyone. However, I believe it is possible for almost all people to train themselves to cross-over and freely associate "unrelated" sensorial input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primordial Soup
Jul 31, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

How do you deal with the Stroop effect?

Not too much of an issue. In my case, it's less about the word itself, but the effect takes place for the individual letters comprising words. The word "purple" will conjure up the color purple, but individually, the letter P is magenta, U is golden, R is also reddish, L is yellow, while E is lilac. This is a cool activity to do and challenge others with though.

• Locked thread