Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for answering my question earlier :) So when you say you're a sound/taste synesthete, what do you mean by taste? is it like the full flavour of a thing that arises from the combination of smell and proper tongue taste? or just the isolated combination of tastes that are derived from things you taste on your tongue? Do the sounds you taste change if you have a blocked nose and lose the smell based component of flavour?

Also what does the inside of your mouth sound like when you're not tasting anything? like the flavour of saliva. Can you pick out particular aspects of flavour and associate them with certain sounds, so there's a commonality in the sounds you hear when you taste the sour citrus-y flavour of an orange and the flavour of a lemon or a lime?

How does the sound you hear get associated with the taste you hear? like if you're listening to music, is the flavour determined by the emotional content of the music? the tonal characteristics, the tempo? if you listen to a pure sine wave middle C, what do you taste? I don't know enough (or anything) about music theory to know how music gets associated with particular emotional characteristics though so I guess that's a pretty vague question. I find all this stuff pretty interesting because I'm studying sensory physiology and function at the moment. Synestheisa is pretty cool because different sensory modalities have very different 'structures' I guess is the way you'd put it, so how they map on to one another in cases of synesthesia can sort of give you insight into common underlying conceptual and perceptual structures, and how these different sensory modalities are combined into a cohesive perception of the world where you attribute stable properties to objects and sources of stimuli in your environment. Something like that anyway.

A Spherical Sponge fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread