Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Coup by Clam is at least entertaining for completely ignoring the clam mastermind's evil plot and they just shoot him rather than go on with his scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Episode 13 "Rhapsody in Blue"

Apparently my viewing order is not quite correct according to Wikipedia, as we seem to have watched this in the place of episode 12.

I feel like this one could've used even just another couple of minutes or less going over the Delvian political situation. I understand the characters are primary and that's good, but give me just a little bit more world building for my taste. The priest they met was some kind of revolutionary but I didn't pick up on a lot of specific motivation or goals.

I don't even have any sense of where they are or how far they're traveling. Yeah, they're lost in the uncharted territories, but what's the scale we're working on? Same spiral arm of the galaxy, or next one over? Are they even in the Milky Way? Crichton doesn't know, on the other hand, so why should I? I guess I'm too used to B5.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Party Plane Jones posted:

The masters are lost but presumed not to be destroyed from what I recall; they're just locked away in the archives of the production companies and they would have to spend real money to find them (and then re-release them). The current transfers are taken from the PAL broadcasts from what I remember because they had slightly higher quality than the US versions due to the increased resolution.

Remember, at the time Farscape was still broadcasting the DVDs were sold by ADV at the nice price of something like 40 bucks per 2 episodes

Ha, don't remind me. I remember when picking one of those up for £20 was a good deal.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Episode 12 "The Flax"

At least there don't appear to be any continuity issues with having inadvertently watched this and episode 13 out of order.

Our 16-year-old daughter has been watching with us off and on, but she was not here for this one, and when Crichton and Aeryn kissed, I turned to my wife and just said, "she missed it." One of the benefits of marriage is you can very efficiently communicate a lot by saying very little; she knew exactly what I meant.

Our next-oldest daughter has been really resistant to watching because she thinks it's too weird. I guess even with the success we had with Babylon 5 and DS9 I don't get a lot of credit for my "old weird space shows." But she was walking by last night and caught part of Rhapsody in Blue with the Delvians, and I'm not sure what exactly did it but she stood there watching for a bit. Tonight she watched this and the next one and declared Rygel is her favorite character. Dad victories.

Speaking of the next one, it was Episode 14, "Jeremiah Crichton."

Well, that was an episode. Farscape's "Code of Honor" plus Threepio meets the Ewoks. I'm glad that's behind us.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I found out that Wayne Pygram, aka Scorpius, played the Tarkin cameo at the end of Revenge of the Sith. Why couldn't they have brought him back to do Tarkin again in Rogue One instead of going super creepy CGI?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Arcsquad12 posted:

I found out that Wayne Pygram, aka Scorpius, played the Tarkin cameo at the end of Revenge of the Sith. Why couldn't they have brought him back to do Tarkin again in Rogue One instead of going super creepy CGI?

I may be misremembering but I seem to recall that he had to be put into pretty extensive prosthetics for Revenge that made it nearly impossible for him to emote.

Which, yes, I'm aware how odd that sounds given who we're talking about but I guess it just didn't look all that great in motion, which is why his appearance is a long shot with no dialogue.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Polaron posted:

I may be misremembering but I seem to recall that he had to be put into pretty extensive prosthetics for Revenge that made it nearly impossible for him to emote.

Which, yes, I'm aware how odd that sounds given who we're talking about but I guess it just didn't look all that great in motion, which is why his appearance is a long shot with no dialogue.

I'll take CG Tarkin over stunt double Tarkin any day.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Polaron posted:

Yeah, it was fine seen in profile for that one sequence, but close-up it wasn't a great match. It looks like he's recovering from a stroke on one side of his face.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maelstache posted:

Yeah, it was fine seen in profile for that one sequence, but close-up it wasn't a great match. It looks like he's recovering from a stroke on one side of his face.

Alas, poor Boni!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Season 1-2 throat singing intro or season 3-4 weirdo singing intro?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I like Season 1, but if I'm just checking in for an episode here or there, nothing from the season will make the cut.
In fairness, my favourite episodes all involve Crichton going batshit and he only gets that ability when he hits Level 4 in the first half of Season 2. Oh well.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Episode 15 "Durka Returns"

I could swear I've seen the actor for Durka somewhere before this and PK Tech Girl, but I can't think of where. I also felt a strong resemblance, in terms of voice and speech patterns at least, for the Nebari officer, to the Collector on Guardians of the Galaxy. Makes me slightly wonder if it's just a coincidence or if del Toro used this as a source (but only slightly).

I remember really being ambivalent on Chiana as a character. We'll see if I come out any different this time.

Episode 16 "A Human Reaction"

Now this was the first really good episode. I mean really good. The perfect subtle amount of "this isn't quite right" to keep you guessing, with a plausible reason for nothing being newer than when Crichton left Earth, up until they killed Rygel, at which point I knew it wasn't real, although my daughters were horrified, lol. But the music and everything were on point.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Episode 17 "Through the Looking Glass"

And here the crazy starts. This one was really trippy. It seriously felt like there was five straight minutes of disorienting video/audio with no dialogue. I appreciate the audacity even though it was a little hard to watch.

And despite that it still felt, in the end, like a light-hearted palate cleanser after the previous episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looking glass was the one where Moya's starburst hosed up and the ship got split into three different dimensions, right?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Looking glass was the one where Moya's starburst hosed up and the ship got split into three different dimensions, right?

And they were different colours or something? And one of them had a sort of high-pitched whine going on the whole time and you couldn't hear anything else?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tiggum posted:

And they were different colours or something? And one of them had a sort of high-pitched whine going on the whole time and you couldn't hear anything else?

Yeah, that's the one. The red one had some harsh light that hurt Crichton's and D'Argo's heads, but didn't affect Chiana, along with some sort of phasing/wonkiness that induced nausea. The blue is as you mentioned, not fun for Crichton and Aeryn but debilitating for Chiana. And the yellow was like laughing gas world.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I saw most of Season 1 for the first time when BBC2 (in the UK) aired the entire season at random times between 12:10am and about 1:30am. 'Through the Looking Glass' is the perfect sort of episode to watch at that time.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Episode 18 "A Bug's Life"

And now a paranoia episode. When Zhaan realizes she's touched Crichton I totally thought she was the one the virus moved into, and her horror was a brief moment before it took over, indicating for the audience she was the infected. I don't know how you could trust her to make a proper antidote even if she did test it on herself first. I'm not sure if I watched it wrong, or if that was a bit of purposeful misdirection.

Episode 19-20 "Nerve" and "The Hidden Memory"

Wow, I think this was around where I started watching originally. Everyone's here: Scorpius, Crais, Stark, Gilina, and finally Talyn. After these two I asked my wife if Farscape was getting better (the first few episodes she was a little skeptical). But she said it's been better for quite a while now. And it's all uphill from here!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

In fact thinking about it I'm a little surprised that wasn't the season finale. Brought everyone back together, introduced the main villain and plot for the rest of the show. Makes me glad I only remember bits and pieces of it all because even this one had a whole lot that I didn't remember. Makes it fun.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I checked the wiki for some episode descriptions since it's been so long and saw Ian Watson listed as the writer for a bunch of episodes, some of the worst but still a bunch. Does anyone know if it's the same Ian Watson that wrote A.I. and the earliest pieces of 40k fiction?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I checked the wiki for some episode descriptions since it's been so long and saw Ian Watson listed as the writer for a bunch of episodes, some of the worst but still a bunch. Does anyone know if it's the same Ian Watson that wrote A.I. and the earliest pieces of 40k fiction?

Nah. His daughter's in the same friendship circle as me (so not technically a friend, but whatever.) Wikipedia says your Ian Watson's from Spain, this one lives in Sydney.

(I also used to go to uni with the brother of Farscape writer Lily Taylor, so I'm two for two on useless Farscape connections.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 15, 2017

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Episode 19-20 "Nerve" and "The Hidden Memory"

Wow, I think this was around where I started watching originally. Everyone's here: Scorpius, Crais, Stark, Gilina, and finally Talyn. After these two I asked my wife if Farscape was getting better (the first few episodes she was a little skeptical). But she said it's been better for quite a while now. And it's all uphill from here!

The first episode of Farscape I ever caught was the finale of season 1, and it made me need to go back and see the rest--unfortunately this was in the early aughties, and all there was to do was wait for reruns. The series definitely experiences a massive upsurge in quality once Scorpius shows up. Whether that's because the show finally finds its stride, the network eased up on them having season-long arcs, or because Wayne Pygram and the character of Scorpius brought something needed is a matter of opinion (it's definitely the latter).

What I appreciate about Farscape is that, while a lot of episodes are stand-alone, none of them are meaningless and almost all contribute to the growth of the characters in either small or large ways. They keep getting referenced offhand, when a number of shows would just silo them off into their individual hour while only remembering the few big events. I think Farscape was my first exposure to the idea of a show being able to carry a narrative that way, and was the cause of my regular disappointment for a long time that few others did.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I hope you've seen Babylon 5 then.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In fairness, though I am a big fan of Babylon 5, Farscape is light-years ahead in terms of characterisation being affected by the story.

E.G. 'A Human Reaction' directly impacts on how Crichton reacts to a particular episode in early-mid Season 2. As in, he literally comments on the similarities as a way of rationalising how the two situations are different.
And, impressive though Sheridan and his band of inter-planetary fanbois are, they're a hell of a lot less scary than Crichton when he's in full-on BATSHITCRAZY mode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

get back. Get back or the white boy gets it.

crighton gets freaky.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

double nine posted:

get back. Get back or the white boy gets it.

crighton gets freaky.

That's one of my favourite episodes, because Crichton is so absolutely broken and crippled whenever Scorpy shows up. The bit you quoted is hilarious, but Crichton's stunt with the weapon satellites crosses the line from "daring escape" to "suicide attempt".

So many times Crichton does the equivalent of putting a gun in your mouth before the zombies eat you, and it's only a combination of luck and being the craziest motherfucker in the galaxy that he keeps on surviving.

The S4 episode where the TV psychiatrist openly diagnoses him with severe PTSD is fantastic, and I'd watch a whole movie done in the same style.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The S4 episode where the TV psychiatrist openly diagnoses him with severe PTSD is fantastic, and I'd watch a whole movie done in the same style.

That whole episode is great, because most of the TV personalities analyzing the Moya crew were people who worked on Farscape. Even Brian Henson showed up.

I also really like the season 2 episode where Chrichton marries the statue lady.
"Chiana and I... we're having really fantastic sex right now."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I also really like the season 2 episode where Chrichton marries the statue lady.
"Chiana and I... we're having really fantastic sex right now."

That set of episodes has that amazing action sequence with the space minefield.

Actually, I'm convinced that Farscape had such good action sequences because they're the only (?) show to do laser guns with practical flying squips and explosive effects. They look amazing, and allowed them to do some really cool sequences, like the bank heist fight where they're firing at each other in pitch darkness.

God, their multipart episodes were always so loving good.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Episode 21 "Bone to be Wild"

So, uh, where did Stark go? He wasn't in either this episode or the next. The bone-eating creature reminded me, in concept, of the salt vampire from TOS - last of its kind (at least locally), sapient but not particularly bothered by eating other sapient creatures. Good double fakeout.

Episode 22 "Family Ties"

I would've said bombing a hydrocarbon-rich moon wouldn't ignite the whole thing, but it apparently had an oxygen atmosphere because Scorpius's research base wasn't airtight and they could all breathe topside. And it made for a good plan and an awesome visual, so hey.

I should mention at this point, my wife hates cliffhangers. I mean in the sense that they work really well on her and she can't wait to see what happens next.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Stark kinda pops in and out randomly, it is kinda annoying.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh crap, I haven't done any reactions in a while and we've watched like eight episodes in season 2. I guess I don't necessarily have a lot interesting to say, at least that I can actually recall. Totally did not expect Maldis to actually return though.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
As long as you remember to post reactions to Crackers don't Matter I think you'll be fine.

EDIT: Oh and Won't get Fooled Again.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 23, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Crackers Don't Matter, yeah. Crichton has been letting loose a little more in season 2 but this was probably the first one where he's just embracing the crazy and rolling with it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tonight was season 2 episode 9 "Out of Their Minds"

I distinctly remembered Crichton briefly playing around in Aeryn's body. I also remembered the aliens from this one, although I hadn't remembered they were from this one, because of their resemblance to the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal. That they did all this with a TV budget still astounds me sometimes.

On that note, in episode 7 "Home on the Remains," I had to comment that the mine corridors in the Budong are clearly not the Moya corridors set dressed up with plastic sheeting.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tonight was season 2 episode 9 "Out of Their Minds"

I distinctly remembered Crichton briefly playing around in Aeryn's body. I also remembered the aliens from this one, although I hadn't remembered they were from this one, because of their resemblance to the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal. That they did all this with a TV budget still astounds me sometimes.

On that note, in episode 7 "Home on the Remains," I had to comment that the mine corridors in the Budong are clearly not the Moya corridors set dressed up with plastic sheeting.

Resemblance hell, they were literally the Skeksis. It was the same puppets, since Henson did Dark Crystal and they still had them lying around.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

They must have been modified then, because they were even uglier and more decrepit-looking than the Skeksis.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

They must have been modified then, because they were even uglier and more decrepit-looking than the Skeksis.

IIRC, that's because they were literally rotting.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Season 2, episode 10 "My Three Crichtons"

At first I thought this was going to be a version of the good/evil sides of Kirk, but then the third Crichton emerged and threw that out the window... sort of. Allegorically speaking you could make an argument this is a strong anti-abortion episode. I have to say, the sound design for the energy sphere was fantastic.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Polaron posted:

Resemblance hell, they were literally the Skeksis. It was the same puppets, since Henson did Dark Crystal and they still had them lying around.

There is Star Wars dna in the Farscape series, including how some of the effects were produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Is this streaming anywhere. It was my "bedroom show " when it was on Netflix but they took it off!!!! Never finished the whole first season

• Locked thread