Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GREAT WHITE NORTH
Feb 23, 2010
I just wanted to say that this thread inspired me to check out Farscape, and lo and behold.. it was good. This series fills a certain craving for a serial space opera that really gives a sense of the alien races being... alien to Crichton. Little things, such as the Dentik worm that Ago forces into Crichton's mouth to clean his teeth, really give it an out-there feeling.
Anyway, I just finished watching "I, E.T." which was a fun take on First Contact. I still like the disappointment on the mother's face when Crichton kisses her on the cheek goodbye and gives him a look like, "That's it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Season 2, episodes 11-13 "A Kiss is But a Kiss," "I Do, I Think," and "The Maltese Crichton"

This - this is where Farscape leaves behind merely being a good show, and crosses into the sublime. Crichton's insanity reaches the first flowering; we get to see a Scarran; the lost Sebacean colony is filled with great intrigue; we get a couple of killer cliffhangers; and all the characters are firing on all cylinders.

It also seemed to me the Leviathans' creator was played by Jonathan Hardy, the actor who does Rygel's voice, and a quick trip to IMDB for his picture (and name) certainly lends credence, enough that I didn't feel bothered to look further.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nothing much to say here except to add that I really loved Farscape. I watched a few episodes when it was on, and then managed to watch I think the first season on DVD in the early 2000s when my local Blockbuster got them, and finally went through the whole series back when it was on Netflix. I think this is the only space opera show outside of the various Star Trek iterations and BSG (and Doctor Who, I guess, depending how you classify it) that I've really been able to latch onto.

I've always been glad that Lucas never got around to making the Star Wars live-action show, because I've always felt like Farscape pretty much is the perfect feel of what a Star Wars show should be, but probably would not be if Disney was to make one now.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I really don't think a Star Wars show would be one fourth as crazy as Farscape.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Oh, absolutely.

I think the only "mainstream" genre show I've seen that got as crazy as Farscape was X-Files, and even that was only the occasional Darin Morgan or Vince Gilligan episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is Farscape the only sci-fi show where a lady uses mind-control poo poo to bang the protagonist, and instead of playing it off for laughs or winking at the audience he just flat out loving hates her and basically calls her a rapist piece of poo poo?

I mean he absolutely is not wrong, it's just that as many times as we've seen that trope I've never seen that reaction before or since

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I bought the first two seasons on iTunes when I was more broke planning on buying the rest later and they pulled it from the internet, the only place to get them is physical and google play for some reason. Give me digital Farscape!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Blazing Ownager posted:

Is Farscape the only sci-fi show where a lady uses mind-control poo poo to bang the protagonist, and instead of playing it off for laughs or winking at the audience he just flat out loving hates her and basically calls her a rapist piece of poo poo?

I mean he absolutely is not wrong, it's just that as many times as we've seen that trope I've never seen that reaction before or since

It was definitely refreshing. The only thing is that there is another episode where John goes crazy and (never shown, but implied) rapes a parallel universe Chiana. It's never resolved or mentioned afterwards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mike the TV posted:

It was definitely refreshing. The only thing is that there is another episode where John goes crazy and (never shown, but implied) rapes a parallel universe Chiana. It's never resolved or mentioned afterwards.

That was Crackers Don't Matter. Harvey convinces John (who is currently molesting Chiana) to tie her up for later after he's finished killing the rest of the crew.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

That was Crackers Don't Matter. Harvey convinces John (who is currently molesting Chiana) to tie her up for later after he's finished killing the rest of the crew.

Hmm, yeah I think I combined that episode and Unrealized Reality in my head.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm not the best custodian of my own threads; we're in early season 3 now. I noticed in episode 2 "Suns and Lovers" the chick drawing the storms to the station is none other than Zam Wessel, the shapeshifting bounty hunter in Attack of the Clones.

And while I enjoy every time a character hits Jool to shut her the frell up, let's just say I'm really looking forward to Sikozu replacing her.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I bought the first two seasons on iTunes when I was more broke planning on buying the rest later and they pulled it from the internet, the only place to get them is physical and google play for some reason. Give me digital Farscape!

Is google play the only place where it's available online?

I came across this thread and was going to buy it for a rewatch but it's like $66AUD for a single season.

I think I'll just end up rewatching Babylon 5...

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also I noticed something last night. Either Jool or I is misunderstanding the alien swearing, because a couple of times in episode 5 "... Different Destinations" she said "bull frell," but to my understanding it should be like "bull dren" and e.g. "mother freller."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

Is google play the only place where it's available online?

I came across this thread and was going to buy it for a rewatch but it's like $66AUD for a single season.

I think I'll just end up rewatching Babylon 5...

As far as I can tell. You can also buy it off Australian iTunes but no thanks. I just can’t figure out why they don’t want my money.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

Stark kinda pops in and out randomly, it is kinda annoying.

Stark popped in and out because Paul Goddard was in and out of filming as one of the Agents in the Matrix during the first season.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

And while I enjoy every time a character hits Jool to shut her the frell up, let's just say I'm really looking forward to Sikozu replacing her.

Aww, I kinda like Jool. She is quite literally a princess who, one minute is flying across the galaxy on an awesome Spring Break and, the next minute wakes up on board a ship with a bunch of crazed lunatic ex-cons who, it turns out, killed her cousins through idle curiosity.
She actually adapts pretty well, all things considered.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It's just the screaming. I'm only two episodes into her run, maybe she improves, I don't remember. All I know is that ear-piercing scream, standing there like my 2-year-old daughter whenever she doesn't like something.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's been a fair few years since I've last watched Farscape and I honestly kind of forgot there were two separate later-season redheaded alien women who join the crew.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's fascinating about that scene is I heard that it was added after production. They decided it wasn't disturbing and psychologically hosed up enough and specifically added it for that reason.

This show had one hell of a strange tone, that it could be absurdist comedy and then swap to a scene like that.. and not have it backfire horrifically.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Everybody talks about Crackers as the zany, memetic episode but the whole show was a wonderful fever dream. Wasn't there an episode where in Crichton was going to get turned into marble to learn how to be an alien prince for hundreds of years?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yup, he gets turned into a statue for like a 100 years but is hooked up to a speaker so he can still hear and speak to everyone around him.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
The bad news is that you're married, and must endure as a statue for 80 cycles in a strange world.

The good news...

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
There's also Won't get Fooled Again, which is basically just look into Crichton's deteriorating mental state and psyche.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Still early in season 3, tonight was episode 6 "Eat Me" and 7 "Thanks for Sharing"

16-year-old daughter as Crichton saunters over to the truth-lobster tank to fish one out and put it on his own head: "Is it just me, or is Crichton getting... sassier lately?"

No, honey, it's not just you.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Watching everybody in the crew gradually lose their minds over time is the best part of the series.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'm also fond of the interpretation that Farscape is actually about a man discovering the BDSM community.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This show was so good. They cancelled it for Tremors the TV Show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm also fond of the interpretation that Farscape is actually about a man discovering the BDSM community.

This is amazing.

Tenzarin posted:

They cancelled it for Tremors the TV Show.

This is depressing.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Tenzarin posted:

I thought they cancelled it for Battlestar

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GREAT WHITE NORTH posted:

I just wanted to say that this thread inspired me to check out Farscape, and lo and behold.. it was good. This series fills a certain craving for a serial space opera that really gives a sense of the alien races being... alien to Crichton. Little things, such as the Dentik worm that Ago forces into Crichton's mouth to clean his teeth, really give it an out-there feeling.
Anyway, I just finished watching "I, E.T." which was a fun take on First Contact. I still like the disappointment on the mother's face when Crichton kisses her on the cheek goodbye and gives him a look like, "That's it?"

Did you watch the 3 hour movie that concludes the series? A lot of people on a first watch don't realize it exists.

It's honestly better than it has right to be. You can see where they would have gone with more seasons, and some details get lost because of that, but it's still a good watch if you don't like the series ending on the rather abrupt note it did. You should be able to find it on Youtube even, that's where I watched it.

Tenzarin posted:

Much to everyone's surprise I've repeatedly heard that Tremors was good.

But this was the real, real dark area for the Sci-Fi channel. I will never forgive them for what they did to GvsE, one of the funniest loving black comedies that they rescued off USA network only to try to turn into an action-drama show. They mistook the false-cool of season 1 for real-cool, missing the joke entirely. The only episodes worth watching that season were the ones filmed for USA that they had in the can and aired at the end.

I only went on this rant because they did this right around the time they canceled Farscape. Also they had an odd obsession at this point with casting people who looked exactly like the Farscape actor on every single show they had which is just.. odd?

ED: They even renamed it fuckin' Good vs Evil because apparently they thought the audience was too stupid to get GvsE

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have to say I had the STRANGEST experience watching Farscape for one reason: I had gotten a bunch of spoilers about the series. That were ALL loving WRONG.

So I thought the baby Leviathan had successfully jumped out and would be returning later in the series.. I waited the whole series to find out it didn't actually blow up in the suicide attack. I also didn't realize Zhaan's problem with the makeup, and kept waiting for her to come back the entire series too as some sort of enlightened being; I thought at the end when they found the huge flower in the final main episode, she was going to emerge from it (Actually I was convinced she was going to emerge from a flower on Earth when they went back to it.). A bunch of other crazy poo poo like that too.

It's like I got spoilers for an alternate reality version of the show nothing like the one I was watching so I kept having anticipations that just never came to pass. It was.. interesting.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 10, 2018

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Yeah, I had a similar experience waiting for Zhaan to come back. Apparently her actress intended to come back occasionally, but was having problems with the makeup. But there was miscommunication with the production side and so they weren't able to get her back.

Y'know, we're getting a Netflix Dark Crystal series. A man can dream about other Creature Shop revivals, right?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Yeah, I had a similar experience waiting for Zhaan to come back. Apparently her actress intended to come back occasionally, but was having problems with the makeup. But there was miscommunication with the production side and so they weren't able to get her back.

Y'know, we're getting a Netflix Dark Crystal series. A man can dream about other Creature Shop revivals, right?

Could I dream about new Creature Shop IP?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I remember on one message board I used to frequent, there were all kinds of dark mutterings about troubles behind the scenes, usually involving David Kemper's alleged mismanagement of the show. One claim was that Kemper had got Virginia Hey sacked so he could install his own character, Jool, in her place.

I don't give these much stories much credibility though as the guy relaying most of them was a huge dick that seemed to have an axe to grind against the production for unknown reasons. He thought it was hilarious to constantly refer to Season 4 as "Fauxscape", ha bloody ha.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mike the TV posted:

The bad news is that you're married, and must endure as a statue for 80 cycles in a strange world.

The good news...

Chiana and I are having really amazing sex.

I also love how the scarran next episode just casually smashes chrichton statue apart bit as long as they get all the pieces together he's still alive at the molecular level.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So, every week a friend of mine come over and we have a TV night. He's been dealing with some bad family stuff recently and a couple of weeks back asked, quite reasonable, if we could watch something light and fun. Now this posed something of a problem for me, as I am a miserable, depressive bastard who watches almost exclusively miserable, depressive bastard shows. Then, a brainwave- Farscape! Still a cynical, miserable show but- crucially- it also had muppets.

So I threw on Crackers Don't Matter and that went down a treat, as did Liars, Guns and Money, and by the time we were done with all of that it was pretty clear we were going to have to watch the whole thing. And so he turns to me and says "Y'know, me an Mhairi [his ex] tried watching this a few years ago, I don't remember it being anywhere near this good." To which I reply, "Ah, well, it starts off sort of rough- we'll just skip to when Chiana shows up, that's where it starts to find its feet."

A little after that, I start to second guess myself. There are a couple of episodes in the first half of the season you can't really skip, if only because they set up later arcs. And there's a bunch of really solid character development even in the weakest episodes. So I figure I'll just go through the list, pull a handle of really good ones and then we'll skip to Durka Returns and proceed from there.

New problem: now that I'm looking at the list... almost nothing seems entirely dispensable? Thoughts, anyone?

Premiere/"Through the Eye of the Needle" - vital as an introduction, and fairly solid in its own right, buuut...
I, E.T. - "Suddenly I am the alien" is a nice concept, but otherwise not much to recommend it
Exodus from Genesis - A Rygel-centric episode, not many of those going. Also sets up the Sebacean heat regulation problem, but I think it's one of the weaker efforts?
Throne for a Loss - The team, but especially Aeryn and D'Argo, learn to work together. Also, these gauntlet dudes come back later...
Back and Back and Back to the Future - Just a really solid procedural
Thank God It's Friday, Again - A rare non-Peacekeeper Sebacean sighting, and we learn about D'Argo's longing for a peaceful life. Slow as poo poo, though.
PK Tech Girl - Galina, Sheyangs, Durka, the defence screen, whole heaps of Aeryn/John sexual tension... there's a lot going on here.
That Old Black Magic - One of the tiny handful of Magic Zhaan episodes. Be a shame to lose one of those, even if it isn't great. Oh, and Crais goes rogue.
DNA Mad Scientist - It turns out that the crew of Moya aren't actually friends. At all. A pretty vital insight into the team dynamic at this point. And Aeryn gets turned into a Pilot, briefly.
They've Got a Secret - Moya gets pregnant. Yeah, this is staying.
Til The Blood Runs Clear - It's got Furlow in it? And the dog people. Not a difficult pass.
Rhapsody in Blue - I've never liked this one, but it is another Zhaan/Magic/Religion feature.
The Flax - John and Aeryn nearly gently caress, D'Argo has a trans panic moment. Eh.
Jeremiah Crichton - ahahahahahahahahahaha

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just watch it all, I still have fond memories of early season one. Show is infectious, I mean unless you’re planning on dieing or something.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Premiere/"Through the Eye of the Needle"
Back and Back and Back to the Future - Just a really solid procedural
PK Tech Girl - Galina, Sheyangs, Durka, the defence screen, whole heaps of Aeryn/John sexual tension... there's a lot going on here.
That Old Black Magic - One of the tiny handful of Magic Zhaan episodes. Be a shame to lose one of those, even if it isn't great. Oh, and Crais goes rogue.
DNA Mad Scientist - It turns out that the crew of Moya aren't actually friends. At all. A pretty vital insight into the team dynamic at this point. And Aeryn gets turned into a Pilot, briefly.
They've Got a Secret - Moya gets pregnant. Yeah, this is staying.

You could probably narrow it down to this, as far as things that are fun to watch and things that are plot relevant go.

Or if you want to narrow it down further, I got into the series via the "Best of Season 1" DVD and that worked out alright: "Premiere," "DNA Mad Scientist," "A Human Reaction," "Nerve," "The Hidden Memory," and "Family Ties." I watched the rest of season 1 later and honestly didn't really feel like I'd missed that much.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Autonomous Monster posted:

New problem: now that I'm looking at the list... almost nothing seems entirely dispensable? Thoughts, anyone?

Of those you listed, only I, ET, Thank God It's Friday, Again and Jeremiah Crichton stand out to me as skippable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

"Talyn ... STARBURST"

• Locked thread