Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Yeah, I had a similar experience waiting for Zhaan to come back. Apparently her actress intended to come back occasionally, but was having problems with the makeup. But there was miscommunication with the production side and so they weren't able to get her back.

She turns up very briefly in John Quixote, doesn't she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I bought the whole series on dvd along time ago but man there's some really really bad episodes in season 1 that sci fi never reaired often. Thank god.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kingturnip posted:

She turns up very briefly in John Quixote, doesn't she?

She does, and she looks very weird.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

She does, and she looks very weird.

She's wearing a bald cap is why.

Virginia Hey basically had to quit the show because the skin coloring they put on her was shutting down her kidneys.

Cancelling Farscape I could understand because the S4 numbers dropped a shitton (probably since the quality also dropped a shitton) but they also offered them an abbreviated 5th season (10 or 13 episodes, I forget which), which they really should have taken. Granted it would have nuked the Nebari virus plotline but that already happened anyways with the movie.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Invalid Validation posted:

Just watch it all, I still have fond memories of early season one. Show is infectious, I mean unless you’re planning on dieing or something.

I know, I know, but I feel like now that I've said "we'll just skip all the stuff you found boring" I feel like I have to follow through.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

You could probably narrow it down to this, as far as things that are fun to watch and things that are plot relevant go.

Or if you want to narrow it down further, I got into the series via the "Best of Season 1" DVD and that worked out alright: "Premiere," "DNA Mad Scientist," "A Human Reaction," "Nerve," "The Hidden Memory," and "Family Ties." I watched the rest of season 1 later and honestly didn't really feel like I'd missed that much.

Tiggum posted:

Of those you listed, only I, ET, Thank God It's Friday, Again and Jeremiah Crichton stand out to me as skippable.

I kind of love that these two radically opposed opinions are right next to each other. Thanks though.

Party Plane Jones posted:

the S4 numbers dropped a shitton (probably since the quality also dropped a shitton)

...hey now. It's an uneven season, but anything to do with the season arc was as good as Farscape ever got. :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Autonomous Monster posted:

...hey now. It's an uneven season, but anything to do with the season arc was as good as Farscape ever got. :colbert:

Grayza was a significant downgrade as an antagonist.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Could I dream about new Creature Shop IP?

Dude, I want new Creature Shop so bad. I'm watching Dark Crystal as soon as I can to support it. Heck, I watched Turkey Hollow live when it happened. Also, I'm still sad we only got one season of Creature Shop Challenge although, from what I understand, they essentially hired everyone on that show after the show anyway. I can respect that there's probably not a huge pool of people doing that kind of work as a hobby. Man, if I had... well, every one of the skills necessary to do that...

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Season 3, episode 16 "Revenging Angel"

I remembered the cartoon episode, but yikes. It may not have been Farscape's weirdest episode, but it's the most embarrassing. It's entertaining, but in a bad way, like a feature on MST3K where you just go, what were they thinking?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Season 3, episode 16 "Revenging Angel"

I remembered the cartoon episode, but yikes. It may not have been Farscape's weirdest episode, but it's the most embarrassing. It's entertaining, but in a bad way, like a feature on MST3K where you just go, what were they thinking?

Sorry, you're wrong. It's a fun and cool episode.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My side, your side.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mike the TV posted:

Sorry, you're wrong. It's a fun and cool episode.

I didn't like it as much the second time I saw it, but yeah, it's still fun.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

My side, your side.

Stark as a character bothered me. They established early in that his madness was mostly an act to get Scorpius to leave him alone, but by Season 3 he acts like that's his normal state.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ironslave posted:

Stark as a character bothered me. They established early in that his madness was mostly an act to get Scorpius to leave him alone, but by Season 3 he acts like that's his normal state.

It's both, isn't it?

He's legitimately bonkers, but not always as mad as he lets on.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I mean who on this show isn't some level of insane?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's both, isn't it?

He's legitimately bonkers, but not always as mad as he lets on.

It doesn't make him not annoying. It's one of the Jar Jar problems, the character is supposed to annoy and aggravate the characters, but in doing so, also annoys and aggravates the audience.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I think it makes him endearing. It's funny that he's used as a device to get a lot of the episode plots going. He usually does the absolute worst thing he can do out of the options available, but is also sometimes right, which can add a lot of humor. I think Stark is where John learns to just give in and wield the insanity as a weapon.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I like Stark even though he's irritating, but I can definitely see how he could be on the wrong end of that equation for some.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I only had problems with him on rewatches cause his character would shift to extremes for no reason. Like he’d be nice tranquil crazy man in one episode and pseudo villain in the next. Johns crazy at least made some sense. Mind you, it’s very mildly annoying since I love the show.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 18, 2018

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

I only had problems with him on rewatches cause his character would shift to extremes for no reason. Like he’d be nice tranquil crazy man in one episode and pseudo villain in the next. Johns crazy at least made some sense. Mind you, it’s very mildly annoying since I love the show.

Stark is a Chaotic Neutral.

Crap now I'm going to imagine all of Farscape on an alignment chart.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mike the TV posted:

Stark is a Chaotic Neutral.

Crap now I'm going to imagine all of Farscape on an alignment chart.

Stark, Chiana, and Rygel at least are all varying degrees of chaotic neutral. I'd probably throw Talyn in there as well. The whole show just about lives there.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I didn't like it as much the second time I saw it, but yeah, it's still fun.

The opposite for me. The first time I watched it I was firmly in 'What the poo poo' mode, but on a rewatch, taking the episode in the context of where it falls in the season, I found it a lot more bearable. It helps that Harvey's all over it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Let's see...first pass. These are definitely debatable.

Lawful Good:
Moya

Lawful Neutral:
Pilot, Aeryn

Lawful Evil:
Brocca

Neutral Good:
Jool, D'argo, Zhan

True Neutral:
Einstein

Neutral Evil:
Scorpious, Furlough

Chaotic Good:
Chrichton, Chiana, Noranti, Crais (Post-Talyn)

Chaotic Neutral:
Stark, Rygel, Talyn, Sukozu

Chaotic Evil:
Grayza, Crais (Pre-Talyn), Maldis

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 19, 2018

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Where does 1812 fit into this?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Noranti's an odd one, even harder to pin down than Stark. I think Chaotic Neutral is who she is a lot of the time, but she has a strong Lawful Good side that pops up in the Eidolon stories, and occasional Chaotic Evil elements that turned up mostly in her early stories.

(Also, there's no doubt in my mind that she'd have eventually become a villain had the show had the extra season or so to run, but that's my fanon side speaking. She seemed obsessed with Aryn's baby, and seemed to constantly be trying to break Aryn and Chrichton up.)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Season 3 episodes 20-21, "Into the Lion's Den"

Holy crap this show is good. The one thing I wish they would've done is actually show the destruction of the carrier, like a big ol' implosion then shock wave. Like the nuke going off in orbit around New Caprica in BSG. Without that final culmination it felt just a touch anticlimactic. A very minor gripe for a very good pair of episodes.

Crais....

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

mcbexx posted:

"Talyn ... STARBURST"
Probably my favorite line from the show, the one which sticks with me most clearly:

I am standing in your heart.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

His whole diatribe there is glorious.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Season 4, episode 8 "I Shrink, Therefore I Am"

As soon as Crichton spaced himself and Noranti to use the transport pod as a missile, I knew I was in for a good episode. These kinds of episodes, like TNG's "Starship Mine," are some of my favorites, where one guy uses experience and ingenuity to take down a bunch of mooks who outnumber and outgun him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

As soon as Crichton spaced himself and Noranti to use the transport pod as a missile, I knew I was in for a good episode. These kinds of episodes, like TNG's "Starship Mine," are some of my favorites, where one guy uses experience and ingenuity to take down a bunch of mooks who outnumber and outgun him.

Yeah, Die Hard episodes rule. They're a really fun way to establish escalating tension while also being claustrophobic and (usually) pretty brutal. There's a really excellent Agents of SHIELD episode like that that aired earlier this year, and the Quentin Tarantino two-parter on Alias. Good stuff.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 27, 2018

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah, Die Hard episodes rule.

Crichton specifically references that, too.

... would you believe I've never actually seen any of the Die Hard movies? It doesn't even seem right to me.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea that’s weird go see the first one at least, it’s only like an hour and a half too so it’s over with pretty quick.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

mcbexx posted:

"Talyn ... STARBURST"

That exchange between Craig’s and Talyn leading up to that moment and the moment itself is truly fantastic. You’ve got Craig’s telling Talyn he’s been disarmed by the Peacekeepers and you can hear Talyn respond with, I believe, concern and fear. Then Crais mentions Moya is about to be taken back into slavery and the noise feels almost more like despair and anger. Even Crais’s final line has that layer to it.

“Talyn...”
a short response from Talyn
“Starburst”

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why did noone tell me there's a frelling Farscape thread? :argh:

Noranti's an odd one, even harder to pin down than Stark. I think Chaotic Neutral is who she is a lot of the time, but she has a strong Lawful Good side that pops up in the Eidolon stories, and occasional Chaotic Evil elements that turned up mostly in her early stories.

(Also, there's no doubt in my mind that she'd have eventually become a villain had the show had the extra season or so to run, but that's my fanon side speaking. She seemed obsessed with Aryn's baby, and seemed to constantly be trying to break Aryn and Chrichton up.)

The only thing Noranti ever does is try to help people for the greater good. The subliminal message was so he'd figure out Aeryn's pregnancy on his own, and she only gave him the drugs because he seemed to be trying to get over her and Noranti wanted to help. And he had a very good reason for wanting the moodkillers. The only time she does something close to evil is when she tried to off Crichton at the start of season 4, and even that was because the vision she dusted him into accidentally showed location of the last Darnaz Probe. The full set of which falling into Peacekeeper, or hell anyone's, hands being potentially catastrophic for billions of innocents.

Hell, a big thing for her near the end of season 4 is being utterly heartbroken that her actions to get them to Katratzi ended the lives of two innocent people.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only thing Noranti ever does is try to help people for the greater good. The subliminal message was so he'd figure out Aeryn's pregnancy on his own, and she only gave him the drugs because he seemed to be trying to get over her and Noranti wanted to help. And he had a very good reason for wanting the moodkillers. The only time she does something close to evil is when she tried to off Crichton at the start of season 4, and even that was because the vision she dusted him into accidentally showed location of the last Darnaz Probe. The full set of which falling into Peacekeeper, or hell anyone's, hands being potentially catastrophic for billions of innocents.

Hell, a big thing for her near the end of season 4 is being utterly heartbroken that her actions to get them to Katratzi ended the lives of two innocent people.

I think you can be a villain and also not want to murder hundreds of thousands of people.

Edit: I've gone back and reread stuff about her first appearance. She's still bonkers, and I stand by the idea that she's somewhat sinister in her investment in John/Aeryn's sex life, but I think she makes more sense that I initially thought.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 28, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think you can be a villain and also not want to murder hundreds of thousands of people.

On reflection though, I don't think that she's all that consistent with her characterisation. Like, what is even her goal in her first episode? She tells John that Aeryn's pregnant, erases his memory, threatens another crew member with violence, and then (causes?) Crichton's memories to come back just to make his lowest point even lower. It seems designed entirely to torture him.

Then she turns up two episodes later, and everyone's really chill with her. Wtf.

Farscape's writing isn't exactly known for its consistency :ssh:. I love the show to death, but you really need to take that into account. Especially when all that takes place at the end of season 3 and not the start of season 4 when they had actually sat down and wrote the character properly.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

This one has the best little poke at the fans:

Sikozu is complaining about shrinking not being possible and Rygel says:

"Neither can I. Who cares? We're here, they did it, and that's that"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

As well as everybody telling the doctor in "Coup by Clam" to shut up whenever he gets going with his explanations, and Crichton straight up telling him "one more word of technobabble and I'll cut out your tongue!:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

As well as everybody telling the doctor in "Coup by Clam" to shut up whenever he gets going with his explanations, and Crichton straight up telling him "one more word of technobabble and I'll cut out your tongue!:

Coup by Clam is probably my least favorite episode past the first season's drek, it's just awful from concept to finish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

Coup by Clam is probably my least favorite episode past the first season's drek, it's just awful from concept to finish.

Coup by Clam is dumb fun. There are far worse episodes, like John Quixote or Meltdown in season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

but...but...fat Zhaan.

Bone To Be Wild is the worst episode. A yawner of a monster of the week, and it falls right in the middle of a great arc breaking up episodes.

• Locked thread