Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I don't think I've actually seen anything of the (apparently) mediocrely plotted 3rd/4th seasons of Lexx. The first and second are fairly good (though insane)
If you loved the relatively serious and plausible nature of the first two seasons then the third and fourth are going to seem terrible, because like I said, they literally discover heaven and hell. But if you're in it more for the characters getting into bizarre situations then I think seasons three and four are the best. Especially four, which has a more stable extended cast and some of the weirdest ideas in the entire show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

(and I thought the music and singing were good too, apart from Xev, lol).

Apparently all of those songs are traditional German children's songs with changed lyrics.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

If you loved the relatively serious and plausible nature of the first two seasons then the third and fourth are going to seem terrible, because like I said, they literally discover heaven and hell. But if you're in it more for the characters getting into bizarre situations then I think seasons three and four are the best. Especially four, which has a more stable extended cast and some of the weirdest ideas in the entire show.

I don't remember the first two seasons being remotely serious or plausible. There's the ER parody episode, the episode where the headless corpse tries to rape the cast, Potatoho, the judge who gets off on capital punishment, the teen slasher episode, the Wizard of Oz episode, the very rapey library, the musical...

I'd go as far as to argue that the third season is by far the most serious season, on top of being the show's most serialised. (Then again, it's also my favourite, and I love the high fantasy setting. It's genuinely epic in a way that television wasn't ever, and still rarely is.)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'd have to watch it again to have much to say on it. But back to Farscape.

Season 4, episodes 19-21 "We're So Screwed, Parts 1-3"

Gotta give shoutouts to all the individual titles too: "Fetal Attraction," "Hot to Katratzi," and "La Bomba"

If you don't think this is Peak Farscape then I don't know what to say. Scorpius, in harmony with Harvey, successfully pulls the rare triple-agent double-double-double-cross (and I'm not sure I've got all the crosses); the gang brazenly waltzes in to increasingly secure and secret Scarran bases and effortlessly and instantly destabilize things causing panic, explosions, and chaos; and they bring back Stark yet again.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the best part of the show is that there’s very few happy endings and the most horrible poo poo happens to the crew. Mirrors real life nicely.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'd have to watch it again to have much to say on it. But back to Farscape.

Season 4, episodes 19-21 "We're So Screwed, Parts 1-3"

Gotta give shoutouts to all the individual titles too: "Fetal Attraction," "Hot to Katratzi," and "La Bomba"

If you don't think this is Peak Farscape then I don't know what to say. Scorpius, in harmony with Harvey, successfully pulls the rare triple-agent double-double-double-cross (and I'm not sure I've got all the crosses); the gang brazenly waltzes in to increasingly secure and secret Scarran bases and effortlessly and instantly destabilize things causing panic, explosions, and chaos; and they bring back Stark yet again.

Don't forget Crichton's insurance measure; strapping a homemade nuclear bomb to his chest that reacts to emotional stress. Try the old heatwave and telepathy routine.

See what happens.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Welcome. To my cold war.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, I just realizes there's one long-running questiom that never got answered; Why do Prowlers cause their pilots turn to slurrt inside Wormholes?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I might be misremembering, but I thought it had something to do with the metal that Crichtons pod was made of.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shaddak posted:

I might be misremembering, but I thought it had something to do with the metal that Crichtons pod was made of.

I mean, perhaps, but why don't Leviathan's melt? And the Scarran test flights from season 3 seemed to be going fine as well.

Like, would Scorpius have been successful if he used literally any other kind of spaceship?

Wait, don't they use Aeryn's prowler occasionally as well?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I mean, perhaps, but why don't Leviathan's melt? And the Scarran test flights from season 3 seemed to be going fine as well.

Like, would Scorpius have been successful if he used literally any other kind of spaceship?

Wait, don't they use Aeryn's prowler occasionally as well?

Ehh, I don't know. Maybe Scorpy just isn't so great at creating wormholes.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I don't think its the ships at all. It has to do with John being able to navigate properly (avoiding the areas that will make you goo), and also perhaps wormhole aliens selectively gooifying people they don't like.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There was something special about it. I think it was just a nebulous material reason. They modified his ship a bunch after the first trip.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the episode where all the TV personalities give their hot take journalism on Moya's crew.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't remember the first two seasons being remotely serious or plausible.
Yeah, those were the wrong words to use. I guess I should have said something like "non-mystical". Like, it's weird, dumb, implausible stuff happening, but it doesn't really get to the point of going "OK, it's magic, deal with it" until season three.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Season 4, episode 22 "Bad Timing"

What a great finale this would have been, if it were the finale. As Crichton and Aeryn are in the boat at the end, my wife was grinning like the sap she is, and I was grinning even bigger because not only am I also a sap, I knew what was coming. :getin:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Season 4, episode 22 "Bad Timing"

What a great finale this would have been, if it were the finale. As Crichton and Aeryn are in the boat at the end, my wife was grinning like the sap she is, and I was grinning even bigger because not only am I also a sap, I knew what was coming. :getin:

For two long years it WAS the finale :sigh:.

The Peacekeeper War was well worth the wait though.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

First time I went through it with my wife I pretended there wasn’t peacekeeper wars and it was glorious. I can’t imagine what a big gently caress you it must have felt like at the time.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

First time I went through it with my wife I pretended there wasn’t peacekeeper wars and it was glorious. I can’t imagine what a big gently caress you it must have felt like at the time.

When it aired in the UK, the "To be continued" was followed by the continuity announcer's 'Uh, about that...'

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget Crichton's insurance measure; strapping a homemade nuclear bomb to his chest that reacts to emotional stress. Try the old heatwave and telepathy routine.

See what happens.

John Lee Hooker time, BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wasn't that impressed with TPW. I'd have preferred Bad Timing to be the end, actually.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For two long years it WAS the finale :sigh:.

Oh believe me, I know. I was there. I don't remember anything at all about the Peacekeeper Wars, although I didn't remember much of anything before that either, except a few key moments and major cliffhangers.

I wasn't quite that cruel with my wife. I was pretty furious at the time with whoever was responsible for canceling it, and I didn't want even a fraction of that to blow back on me from her! So to her it's just a normalish cliffhanger (by the scale of this show, which is pretty extreme with the cliffhangers). They did at least soften it by having the alien outright say he was neutralizing them for study.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 6, 2018

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We watched the first half of Peacekeeper War part 1 tonight. What's there is good, but it almost seems like they're doing an extended "previously on Farscape" the whole time, like each episode is boiled down to about 6 minutes of just the essential plot points as they breathlessly pour out dialogue to keep it moving.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it’s like two seasons crammed into a couple hours. Least it concludes nicely.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Yea it’s like two seasons crammed into a couple hours. Least it concludes nicely.

Only in that it actively is a season compressed into a miniseries. Even so, it's a better fate than many other shows got.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Question for the thread:

Who else, when first playing Mass Effect, thought "Oh, they're an entire race of Zhaan."?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Not really? Zhaan always characterized herself to me more with her empathy and space magic than her ...being blue. But I'm being at least partly facetious. I will, however, pour one out for the alternate universe in which Bioware did a Farscape game in place of the Mass Effect games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bioware really isn't the right fit for something like Farscape though. I'd give it to someone like the guys who did psychonauts

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bioware really isn't the right fit for something like Farscape though. I'd give it to someone like the guys who did psychonauts

No, that's not weird enough.

This is a job for Yoko Taro :unsmigghh:.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Last night we finished part 1 of Peacekeeper War. We had left off about halfway through and I was really lamenting how compressed and rushed it felt.

Well after that point it got a lot better, and I'm hopeful for part 2. So far I'm thinking they must have crammed all of the necessary set-up from the first 3/4 of the planned season 5 into the most bare bones possible, and then had relatively more room to let the final few episodes breathe and play out more naturally.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

And that's it, we finished it tonight. I can't believe I forgot that D'Argo dies. Even after he got stabbed I wasn't too concerned because he kept going, as they always did during the show.

Then he collapsed and it all came rushing back, and I remembered that Aeryn and Crichton name their son after him.

And the wormhole weapon was worse and scarier than I ever thought it was going to be. "Maybe it eats the whole galaxy." :stonklol:

My wife did get a good laugh out of Aeryn in labor going "Shooting things makes me feel better!"

All in all the last 3/4 of the miniseries are really good. Still was, at a guess, about half a season or more brutally imploded into the length of one episode, then the last 6 or so episodes compressed into 3, but I'm glad we got it. I think this experience has re-cemented Farscape as a close second to B5 for my favorite show of all time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think you mean...

" Ze VORMHOHL WEAHPOHHHN!"

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
In case anyone doesn't know, there were a few comic miniseries and two (running in parallel) full series a few years ago (by Boom! Studios), they were pretty good, and co-written by Rockne O'Bannon. Some of the miniseries focus on D'Argo (haven't read them), but some properly come before the longer series chronologically, don't skip those if you read the full series.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Jeffe posted:

In case anyone doesn't know, there were a few comic miniseries and two (running in parallel) full series a few years ago (by Boom! Studios), they were pretty good, and co-written by Rockne O'Bannon. Some of the miniseries focus on D'Argo (haven't read them), but some properly come before the longer series chronologically, don't skip those if you read the full series.

The Scorpius one was fun just to showoff how much of a scheming bastard he can really be, and how he reacts to a challenge to his skills and intellect that isn't the luckiest bastards in the universe Plan B-ing their way to victory.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Everyone’s reaction to the wormhole weapon is pretty poignant. Guess it’s basically just an analog for the atomic bomb.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The wormhole weapon was so drat scary because it kept chaining black holes. Stargate P3W-451 black hole system gate had nothing on what was going on in that scenario.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

R-Type posted:

The wormhole weapon was so drat scary because it kept chaining black holes. Stargate P3W-451 black hole system gate had nothing on what was going on in that scenario.

Funny how fast Scorpius' disappointment at that tiny speck suddenly turned to absolute horror.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Funny how fast Scorpius' disappointment at that tiny speck suddenly turned to absolute horror.

Dude was smiling. It's one of my favorite moments of his in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

that scene with Crichton and Aeryn slow dancing in the elevator together, with Aeryn standing on Crichton's feet so he can lead, is one of my favorite scenes from anything ever :3: Farscape really knew how to tug on those damned ol' heartstrings when it wanted to

• Locked thread