Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

It was originally Kirby's but he stole the date

brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I will love Stan Lee forever no matter how hard you all try. :catbert:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I saw a panel with Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane at ECCC last year and it was honestly my biggest highlight of all the ECCC I have ever attended (about 6 years and running).
Lee might be a showman but he is a pro at it, witty and entertaining and fun.
It was actually the second time I've seen a panel with Lee but just watching him banter with Todd was a lot of fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I saw a panel with Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane at ECCC last year and it was honestly my biggest highlight of all the ECCC I have ever attended (about 6 years and running).
Lee might be a showman but he is a pro at it, witty and entertaining and fun.
It was actually the second time I've seen a panel with Lee but just watching him banter with Todd was a lot of fun.

That sounds excellent, I saw him yeeeeeeaaaars ago on a Spider-man panel and except for him pushing Roger Stern's buttons he was pretty hilarious.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went to a small breakfast panel at Awesome-Con earlier this year that was just Stan and about 100 total guests and included a photo op at the end. It was definitely the highlight of that weekend (and very possibly this entire lovely year) for me.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Stan's cool and all but without Ditko and Kirby, Praise Unto His Name, he'd have retired 30 years ago as a bald editor

Still, happy birthday.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd contend that even with the fuckery regarding credit, Stan's done more good than bad for the industry

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd contend that even with the fuckery regarding credit, Stan's done more good than bad for the industry

Absolutely.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord posted:

It was originally Kirby's but he stole the date

Lightning Lord posted:

Stan's cool and all but without Ditko and Kirby, Praise Unto His Name, he'd have retired 30 years ago as a bald editor

Still, happy birthday.

Don't hate him cuz he's beautiful.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Stan Lee is a carny motherfucker, and a carny motherfucker is exactly what the industry needed to become what it is today. Live forever, you crazy showman.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember hearing that ages ago Stan Lee had a rule at Marvel that every issue had to be able to be read as if it was the first comic the reader had ever read.

I desperately want to see the timeline where that rule was still followed today.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I remember hearing that ages ago Stan Lee had a rule at Marvel that every issue had to be able to be read as if it was the first comic the reader had ever read.

I desperately want to see the timeline where that rule was still followed today.

Bendis stories would never end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Bendis stories would never end.

So no change then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

I thought this was a Shooter edict.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was a shooter thing, which is why so many comics from the Shooter era have characters recapping their stupid goddamn powers in the first few pages of an issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If I ever wrote for a DC parody special, Hal Jordan's bio box would engulf the whole story and he'd be popping in the edges to fight it off like Daffy Duck in the credits of Gremlins 2.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
If I wrote a DC Parody Special, Hal Jordan would be a cardboard cutout with a green flashlight taped to it and nobody would notice the difference

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

And he is still better than bob Kane

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bobkatt013 posted:

That's because Marvel is better than DC.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

bobkatt013 posted:

There's a great bit in his Lee's comics biography where he talks about Kane trying to tip someone with a picture of Batman and the waiter is not at all pleased.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

joehonkie posted:

There's a great bit in his Lee's comics biography where he talks about Kane trying to tip someone with a picture of Batman and the waiter is not at all pleased.

This is incredible but totally believable. There's a type of artist who thinks their work has tangible value and thinks it can be used as currency. I recall a story on a guy who would sketch on $1 bills, coloring them and making them look kind of neat. But he'd try to pay checks with a single bill and would try to convince waiters that the work would be valuable when he got famous.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

This is incredible but totally believable. There's a type of artist who thinks their work has tangible value and thinks it can be used as currency. I recall a story on a guy who would sketch on $1 bills, coloring them and making them look kind of neat. But he'd try to pay checks with a single bill and would try to convince waiters that the work would be valuable when he got famous.

There's also Kerouac (or one of the other B-list beats, I can't remember) trying to pay for his meal at a diner with a poem he wrote spontaneously in the booth.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What famous artist used to draw on his checks, so the place would have to decide on taking his money or having an original art piece?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Banksy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

What famous artist used to draw on his checks, so the place would have to decide on taking his money or having an original art piece?

I know Picasso would sometimes pay for meals with a quick sketch, but he's one of the few artists who were famous enough in their own lifetime where the restaurant was actually making out like a bandit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

KaosMachina posted:

If I wrote a DC Parody Special, Hal Jordan would be a cardboard cutout with a green flashlight taped to it and nobody would notice the difference

You take that back. Sure, Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, and Jon Stewart maybe a little cooler, but Hal Jordan will always be my main man Green Lantern.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Covok posted:

You take that back. Sure, Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, and Jon Stewart maybe a little cooler, but Hal Jordan will always be my main man Green Lantern.

Covok! Your Green Lantern! Woof!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

I noticed you left Kyle off there and that is why you are wrong

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Madkal posted:

I noticed you left Kyle off there and that is why you are wrong

I just got his series in trade back. I reserve my judgement until I am finished reading.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

It's pretty great that whenever Batman is in something now it is credited to "Bob Kane with Bill Finger."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

It's pretty great that whenever Batman is in something now it is credited to "Bob Kane with Bill Finger."

Yeah good that Finger gets credit now but we should do the full damnatio memoriae to Kane, that pile of poo poo

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Seriously gently caress Bob Kane and the tombstone he is buried under

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Seeing Bill Finger's credit added to everything now makes me smile.

That Batman and Bill documentary was quite the eye opener for what a shitter Bob Kane.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Good time to remind people that Jim Steranko might have slapped the poo poo outta Kane at a convention.

I really want to believe on that one

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Good time to remind people that Jim Steranko might have slapped the poo poo outta Kane at a convention.

I really want to believe on that one

Steranko was fuckin bananas, i was just reading this passage about him

quote:

The young Steranko, obsessed with the danger and claustrophobia of his father’s daily routine, dedicated himself to the art of escape. By the age of sixteen, he was putting on Houdini-like public performances, showing off to local police that he could escape from their jails. He also slipped out of straitjackets, leg irons, handcuffs, safes, and vaults.

Other performances were less thrilling to the local authorities: The teenaged Steranko began stealing an arsenal’s worth of guns and a small parking lot’s worth of motor vehicles. In February 1956, Steranko and a partner were arrested for the thefts, committed throughout eastern Pennsylvania, of twenty-five cars and two trucks. (He was careful to avoid criminal activity in his hometown. “None of the things we did were done in Reading, maybe one or two. I stole a submachine gun in Reading, but that was all.”) They burglarized gas stations, but a sole, thwarted attempt at armed robbery—the victim sized up Steranko, realized he wouldn’t shoot the gun, and refused to hand over any money—showed the limits of his transgressive inclinations. By the early 1960s, Steranko had moved on to playing rock-and-roll guitar (his band shared bills with Bill Haley and His Comets), card tricks (he was nationally ranked and published a book), and fire-eating, before he finally settled into advertising.

If anyone had the balls to slap kane it was him

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Steranko was fuckin bananas, i was just reading this passage about him

If anyone had the balls to slap kane it was him

Kirby based Big Barda on his own wife and Mr Miracle on Jim Steranko. Steranko was so bad rear end that Kirby wrote Slash fiction about his wife and Steranko.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Kirby based Big Barda on his own wife

Barda's mind and personality were Roz Kirby, and her body was Lainie Kazan circa 1970.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Barda's mind and personality were Roz Kirby, and her body was Lainie Kazan circa 1970.

*googles*
Jack Kirby you ol' dog.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wanna see a top 10 list more awful than any CBR top 10 versions of hulk to gently caress

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/946772856712585221P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Posting this here because the funny panels thread got persnickety the last time I posted a comics tweet.
https://twitter.com/dogcartoon/status/946651833593761792

• Locked thread