Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Posting this here because the funny panels thread got persnickety the last time I posted a comics tweet.
https://twitter.com/dogcartoon/status/946651833593761792

Whoa whoa whoa I am not having any homo poo poo in my cartoon beastiality scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm more mad that that post is distracting our anger from the truly upsetting Snagglepuss comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Steranko was fuckin bananas, i was just reading this passage about him

If anyone had the balls to slap kane it was him

Steranko is what I would call a "compulsive liar" so it's completely impossible to know what he has and hasn't done.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

site posted:

Wanna see a top 10 list more awful than any CBR top 10 versions of hulk to gently caress

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/946772856712585221P

People thinking only comics that would get published by Fantagraphics in the early 90s (Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of that stuff) are any good is nothing new

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What the? Snagglepuss is gay?? I don't even know what's right in this world any more

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nah. He snags ill puss, bro.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

site posted:

Wanna see a top 10 list more awful than any CBR top 10 versions of hulk to gently caress

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/946772856712585221P

We're so far through the looking glass that I can't tell if this is a joke/troll or not. It reminds me of some of the indie games sites I used to follow where they would pout about any and all "AAA" games that existed. I love how he threw in that Spider Man collection so we'd know he loved mainstream comics "back when they were good."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Three drat volumes of Delicious in Dungeon came out this year. Comic fans have nothing to complain about, except maybe the slow release schedule of Delicious in Dungeon

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

joehonkie posted:

We're so far through the looking glass that I can't tell if this is a joke/troll or not. It reminds me of some of the indie games sites I used to follow where they would pout about any and all "AAA" games that existed. I love how he threw in that Spider Man collection so we'd know he loved mainstream comics "back when they were good."

Regardless of which it's all about the author making sure you know how cool and clever he is and how lame and stupid you (and the things you like) are.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

joehonkie posted:

What about this extremely typical opinion do you think is trolling?

If anything I'm surprised he put a superhero comic that wasn't by either Kirby or Ditko on his list. I think those are still the only acceptable creators, I dunno

Also, all of these comics are good, or are by creators I like. I only disagree that they're the only good 8 things that came out this year. Well, I'm not sure how I feel about Johnny Ryan tho, I waver back and forth on him

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 30, 2017

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

People thinking only comics that would get published by Fantagraphics in the early 90s (Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of that stuff) are any good is nothing new

This list has the added bonus of the author being a poo poo-gently caress.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What's everyone else's best of year list? Be the change, etc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lightning Lord posted:

What about this extremely typical opinion do you think is trolling?
Well it's hard to take seriously when it contains insights like:

quote:

His comics read fast because he uses more panels to create story beats so it captures the speed and humor of The Simpsons more than The Simpsons comics ever did.

quote:

The cover isn’t just an advertisement for the inside pages, it’s a part of the whole object and story.

quote:

I guess imagine if something as easily read and appealing as Archie was written for an adult mindset and could make you feel a complex mixtures of feelings.

Also issues 2 and 4 of Love and Rockets are mentioned separately but since the list has empty spaces I guess issue #3 must have suuuuuuuuucked.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 30, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Steranko is what I would call a "compulsive liar" so it's completely impossible to know what he has and hasn't done.

That explains why he loves Trump so much, at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

Don't tell me these things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Don't tell me these things.

While I hate to link BC, they did compile a ton of his tweets. He was like this all through election season, so he either loves Trump or really hates Hillary (and honestly it seems like both).

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/08/jim-steranko-wants-vote-trump/

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also issues 2 and 4 of Love and Rockets are mentioned separately but since the list has empty spaces I guess issue #3 must have suuuuuuuuucked.

That stood out to me the most as a possible hint of trolling, but I wouldn't put it past a super hipster to leave stuff they liked off the list just to make their "man I couldn't even fine NINE good books let alone ten" point.

Endless Mike posted:

This was so disappointing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Top comic: Mister Miracle #5.
Rest of the top 10: Assorted other Tom King books.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

The annoying thing about this year's list is that it would naturally include Haikyuu volume 16. The one where Yamaguchi finally pulls off the perfect jump floater, getting two service aces in a row and proving to himself and everyone else his value to the team and his hard work, dedication, and personal growth.

But volume 19 comes out January 5th, so by five days I can include it. Even though it has the amazing matching cover. Of course the moment that Tsukishima finally manages to stuff one of Ushijima's monstrous spikes not only validating his method of read blocking but also being so amazing that even Tsukishima himself loses his cool and can no longer keep himself ironically detached but admits his love of volleyball through a triumphant yell right there on the court makes it an absolute shoe-in for my Best Of 2018 List.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Won't give specific issues but comics you should be reading:

Mr Miracle by King
Black Hammer by Lemire
Batman by King
Metal by Snyder
Royal City by Lemire
Saga by Vaughan

There are probably some Marvel comics but I don't read much marvel so I can't really comment.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Half my top ten would probably be Batman issues. Brave and the Mold, Elmer Fudd, Annual #2, the dinner issue, Double Date. Part one of The Button would get an honorable mention.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Guy Goodbody posted:

The annoying thing about this year's list is that it would naturally include Haikyuu volume 16. The one where Yamaguchi finally pulls off the perfect jump floater, getting two service aces in a row and proving to himself and everyone else his value to the team and his hard work, dedication, and personal growth.

But volume 19 comes out January 5th, so by five days I can include it. Even though it has the amazing matching cover. Of course the moment that Tsukishima finally manages to stuff one of Ushijima's monstrous spikes not only validating his method of read blocking but also being so amazing that even Tsukishima himself loses his cool and can no longer keep himself ironically detached but admits his love of volleyball through a triumphant yell right there on the court makes it an absolute shoe-in for my Best Of 2018 List.

Was this a brilliant post to gently show me that everyone's tastes can be so radically different as to make the notion of sharing best-of lists laughable? Or was the above--"the one where Yamaguchi finally pulls off the perfect jump floater"--without irony and your casual reference to characters I've never heard of in manga books about volleyball done in earnest?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Posting unrelated anime is his gimmick.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's only unrelated if you think comics from Japan aren't comics.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I remember the time I got VEGETA's name changed to the Trump Support Headquarters.

Man that owned

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Was this a brilliant post to gently show me that everyone's tastes can be so radically different as to make the notion of sharing best-of lists laughable? Or was the above--"the one where Yamaguchi finally pulls off the perfect jump floater"--without irony and your casual reference to characters I've never heard of in manga books about volleyball done in earnest?

No, he likes this manga. What kind of asshead post is this?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What the hell kind of sport are they playing in that comic?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

What the hell kind of sport are they playing in that comic?

Calvinball.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Those are actual volleyball terms you drat nerds.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Those are actual volleyball terms you drat nerds.

I think Aphrodite took issue with the cast-iron weaponry on display on the covers, not the terms.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr. Maltose posted:

That's only unrelated if you think comics from Japan aren't comics.

No, that's what he does. He was getting told off for doing the same thing in the PYF Funny Pictures thread.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You guys have some issues if a guy posting about the manga they liked in response to "What are your favorite comics this year?" bothers you this much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I posted a sheep game over here. You should answer!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Endless Mike posted:

I posted a sheep game over here. You should answer!

How much google ad money do i get?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Open Marriage Night posted:

No, that's what he does. He was getting told off for doing the same thing in the PYF Funny Pictures thread.

Responding to a conversation about the years best comics by stating some of your personal favorite comics of the year is in no way off topic, unlike talking about unrelated PYF threads?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JordanKai posted:

I think Aphrodite took issue with the cast-iron weaponry on display on the covers, not the terms.

Yes, if it's just volleyball and they don't actually use the spear and shield in what appears to be a junkyard then boring.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
My favorite comic of the year was 7 soldiers of Victory followed by Jack Kirby's The Demon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My favorite comic of 2017 was The Fourth World Omnibus.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I...hate...every ape I see
From chimpan-a to chimpan-zee
No you'll never make a monkey out of me

Oh my god! I was wrong!
It was earth, all along!
You've fin'lly made a monkey...
(Yes we've fin'lly made a monkey...)
Yes YOU'VE FIN'LLY...MADE...A...MONKEY...OUT...OF...MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I love you Dr. Zaius!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I...hate...every ape I see
From chimpan-a to chimpan-zee
No you'll never make a monkey out of me

Oh my god! I was wrong!
It was earth, all along!
You've fin'lly made a monkey...
(Yes we've fin'lly made a monkey...)
Yes YOU'VE FIN'LLY...MADE...A...MONKEY...OUT...OF...MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I love you Dr. Zaius!

I miss when The Simpsons were good.

• Locked thread