Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Naw, man, the music and the action leading up and during the final boss fight of Trespasser that stood with the Siege of Haven as a highlight of the game for me. Spoiler for the poster who hasn't gotten that far yet: It's disappointing that the boss couldn't have been someone more important than a nameless qunari mage, but that guy was a beast on a level that Corypheus should have been, and racing your enemy to that point while at the same time trying not to explode as your Mark overloads was great tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know how anyone can enjoy the actual game play of the Dragon age games unless you're a spergtastic min-maxer who enjoys setting a thousand AI variables so he doesn't have to click during a fight.

All I ever did was one shield to tank damage, one Mage to kill everything, one mage to heal and one rogue to unlock stuff

You shouldn't have to deal too much with that. Origins is easy with the DLC gear. You can be a Warrior who gets 100% magic resistance which makes Nightmare a joke. Or a Mage who doesn't even need gear. Or a Rogue who can stack so much cunning you backstab for ridiculous amounts.

DA2 has DLC gear too but it's not as overpowering as the stuff in Origins. Also I think the Nightmare mode in that is the hardest of the three by virtue of the fact that it forces friendly fire. And none of the classes seem as individual OP as the stuff you can do in Origins or Inquisition.

Inquisition can be broken over your knee regardless of class if you craft stuff. The only way it becomes a big challenge is if you use the trials.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Cunning rogue was my jam in origins. His backstab and attack speed were so op you had to disable abilities because not constantly back stabbing nerfed your dps

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Any tips to make your second playthrough Opposite day jackass character playthrough fun for Inusistion? The hinterlands relly is hell also i'm dating solas

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Any tips to make your second playthrough Opposite day jackass character playthrough fun for Inusistion? The hinterlands relly is hell also i'm dating solas

One thing: tell them at any and all points that you have your own gods and you ARE NOT the chosen one. You have to start this from the very first convo and keep it up till at least haven. No middle ground “maybe I am” but instead “I am not the herald and Bugger your silly made up gods”. Good, funny bits. Plenty of sarcastic and joke responses around on top of it. Plus Solas will help you see just how legit they really were. My only regret is I couldn’t dedicate myself to the dread wolf as my god from the start. That would have been an amusing touch.

Dating Solas gives you far more insight and it really gives the end and Trespasser more punch. Best romance ever. Was recommended to me and I am so glad I rerolled a fem dalish. Making a mage is even more cherry on the sundae just FYI. Have fun. It’s the best run.

Thinking about doing my dwarf faithful run but I’m torn on dagger rogue as I really dig on Cole. Might just go human tank so I can be the atypical poster boy. Torn because I really like playing Dwarves.

Edit: dagger rogues take some watching early game but they are beastly DPS. They will melt most baddies. Sword and board are the vastly superior tank. Upgrade challenge and fill that tree as you won’t be disappointed.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 3, 2017

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Sinners Sandwich posted:

You could turn that trial on that magnifies companion disapproval, that should help you see their 'I hate you' scenes. But I did think DA:I was disappointing in this regard, especially after DA2 - the player character never really sounds different.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Tempest Rogue is very fun in DAI for the ridiculous damage and escapes and hitting-every-button you get from it. Also, it means you don't have to use Sera!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

Tempest Rogue is very fun in DAI for the ridiculous damage and escapes and hitting-every-button you get from it. Also, it means you don't have to use Sera!

Also once you get the throwing daggers ability and some gear you can pretty much solo Dragons. Pop Lightning Flask to get into position, then Pop Fire Flask and spam Throwing Daggers. The damage will continue to ramp up the more you spam until that poor Dragon is getting hit for 8k a hit. I would kill Dragons in under a minute with that build.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Please stop making me want to do another Tempest, I haven't finished my boring archer run yet

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Please stop making me want to do another Tempest, I haven't finished my boring archer run yet

Is there a Dragon Age in which archery isn't dull?

I've just started a new DA2 game specifically to find this out, but I suppose it'll take a while to get enough skills to be sure of how dull they are.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Agean90 posted:

Yeah the whole "wizards are persecuted" thing falls flat when 95% of wizards outside the party cant go shopping without summoning a bunch of demons or resorting to blood magic because some dude on the street was rude to them

Hmmm yeah nearly a millennium of hideously cruel and unrelenting oppression for being born the way you are absolutely won't drive people to desperation or anger :thunk:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Of course mages would make good bankers and merchants, it's just biology

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Please go ahead and rob our bank! We have a whole pond full of people who tried to rob us.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mister Adequate posted:

Hmmm yeah nearly a millennium of hideously cruel and unrelenting oppression for being born the way you are absolutely won't drive people to desperation or anger :thunk:

Or maybe don't build a Mage Circle and/or prison in a city that sits atop a gigantic demonic pit where blood sacrifices were committed for generations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have a minor bowel movement every time my Bookmarked Threads show this thread as having four unread posts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BrianWilly posted:

I have a minor bowel movement every time my Bookmarked Threads show this thread as having four unread posts.

:same: if I'm being honest

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yeah I have to remind myself to read this thread every time it just has two or three new posts

PS hi, I am the most ridiculous fan of this series: I got a tattoo about 18 months ago. On my calf; ignore the pores.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

Is there a Dragon Age in which archery isn't dull?

I've just started a new DA2 game specifically to find this out, but I suppose it'll take a while to get enough skills to be sure of how dull they are.

Inquisition archers are great. Grab the skill that pulls you to an enemy + the skill where you backflip away while shooting a bunch of exploding arrows and go to town.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Just finished trespasser. The wolf is a gently caress. Iron Bull is a gently caress. Cannot wait to kill all qunari and elfs.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Yeah I have to remind myself to read this thread every time it just has two or three new posts

PS hi, I am the most ridiculous fan of this series: I got a tattoo about 18 months ago. On my calf; ignore the pores.

nice! Are you going to get any other colors?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

HIJK posted:

nice! Are you going to get any other colors?

Not planning on it at the moment - it matches my opposite calf tattoo, which is the Red Tree from Deadly Premonition, and is black and red. Eventually maybe I might expand it but depends on how I feel about the game in a couple of years. It might turn into a full sock with characters and everything, or more likely it'll stay as it is.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Robo Turnus posted:

Iron Bull is a gently caress.

That's what you deserve.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Robo Turnus posted:

Iron Bull is a gently caress.

410,757,864,530 DEAD TEMPLARS

also I didn't do the Keep thing when I started this run and I wish I had; I didn't realize Hawke would show up, and I assume that Hawke is your character from DA2 if you imported save data. Aw well.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yeah there is literally no reason to save the qunari horde over the people you've met, one of whom you've hung out with a bit. Not like the Chargers are great or anything but they're better than Unnamed Horde and Bull doesn't seem to give two shits anyway.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed I'll never get to stick a knife in his heart because I like the Chargers - well, I like having Krem around - and that's enough for me to save them first.

I don't even like Bull. I'll use Sera over him.

(also if you hang with him it's more than implied he does a sexual assault or rape on a mega-drunk Dorian, which is more than enough for me to never take him along, ever)

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 4, 2017

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nephthys posted:

It's not that they aren't worth making, they just don't make ALL THE MONEY like lootbox simulators do.

FIFA makes EA a billion dollars a year. Dragon Age can't compete with that.

Ya I understand. It is really hard to compare those two games because they have very different business models and development cycles/costs.

Fifa games also probably cost next to nothing to make at this point. As someone who use play/buy every Fifa(big soccer fan) they rarely upgrade assets or even implement gameplay changes such as new physics or game mechanics. The cost of production on these sports games must be insanely low for EA. They pay for the league licenses, server maintenance and marketing.

The turnover is probably insane, big triple a games like DA can't compete with that kind of business model. Only maybe mobile games can compete with that kind of turnover since production cost and coding is a lot easier on android/os so you can hire less experienced programmers.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Bull is absolutely begging for a reason to defect at the point you choose between the Chargers and the Qun warships; he could've no problem blamed the whole thing on the Inquisition and stayed in good with a bit of subterfuge (you know, his specialty :v:), but he wanted to go uhhh whats the dumbass word TAL VASHOTH that's it and be one of the Chargers instead of one of the Qun. I mean, look at 99% of the other Qunari you meet. Big hint: they don't use names, they use titles.

(But yeah the whole Bull/Dorian thing is not my cup of tea one bit. Dorian deserves better.)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There's not much justification for choosing the Qunari for any character really. They have a long history of not negotiating.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Bogart posted:

Tempest Rogue is so insane that even with a slightly gimpy build where I just spammed that shadow strike uppercut move with fire flask (which will only hit them 4-5 times because of the knockback instead of like twenty) I steamrolled everything but the Deep Roads. The only issue was being a glass cannon but I imagine that health leeching power added in Trespasser makes it even easier.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

assassin functions better with a bow and tempest functions better with daggers

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Von_Doom posted:

Thinking about doing my dwarf faithful run but I’m torn on dagger rogue as I really dig on Cole.
Respec him into archery and Sera to daggers. Meshes much better with their specializations, as cams points out.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Robo Turnus posted:

The wolf is a gently caress. Iron Bull is a gently caress.

Indeed.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Yeah there is literally no reason to save the qunari horde over the people you've met

There is an obvious reason, which is that they are a horde: or, at any rate, an entire ship's crew, which is surely going to be more people than a half dozen chargers. Saving the dreadnought is the morally correct choice.

Getting to kill Bull afterwards is just a bonus.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I don't even like Bull. I'll use Sera over him.

It's been said but the AI is absolutely worthless when they're playing Bull. I used him in my Mage game and he was dead the entire goddamn time.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

(also if you hang with him it's more than implied he does a sexual assault or rape on a mega-drunk Dorian, which is more than enough for me to never take him along, ever)

It’s been a long time since I played/watched any of these scenes but I missed this one! Given the way most fans support this possible couple I’m surprised. Do a lot of folks just interpret the dialog differently or do they still struggle with the idea of taking advantage of a drunk person’s lack of inhibitions is rape/assault since there’s no clear consent?

Taear posted:

It's been said but the AI is absolutely worthless when they're playing Bull. I used him in my Mage game and he was dead the entire goddamn time.

On a less :gonk: note yep, went through the same thing. It’s like Cassandra was the only professional in the whole group. I kept getting WoW raid flashbacks.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I really dont understand why after selling really well and becoming a classic Bioware decided to turn the Dragons Age franchise into whatever the hell it is today

DAO was so good. I remember watching this stream they were doing prerelease where people were racing to finish the game and when I saw they were actually getting owned in the combat I knew the game was going to be great

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

babypolis posted:

I really dont understand why after selling really well and becoming a classic Bioware decided to turn the Dragons Age franchise into whatever the hell it is today

DAO was so good

EA at the time wanted to diversify their output and bought up all these prestige studios expecting them to deliver a game of DA:O's quality every 24 months. Bioware was RPG Game Dev, Visceral was Horror Game Dev, etc. Obviously a developer like Bioware who had a characteristically deliberate approach to game design and iteration couldn't keep up with the greatly accelerated timetables and stumbled with DA2 and ME3.

Over time they realized this approach wasn't as profitable as just homogenizing every single product into sports & shootman game with lootboxes and unceremoniously dumped all their subsidiaries.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It’s been a long time since I played/watched any of these scenes but I missed this one! Given the way most fans support this possible couple I’m surprised. Do a lot of folks just interpret the dialog differently or do they still struggle with the idea of taking advantage of a drunk person’s lack of inhibitions is rape/assault since there’s no clear consent?

On a less :gonk: note yep, went through the same thing. It’s like Cassandra was the only professional in the whole group. I kept getting WoW raid flashbacks.

In my experience, people's distaste for Dorian/Iron Bull tends to come from the fact that their last banter before hooking up (or one of the last ones, I could be wrong on the order) has Bull doing a whole "I'm a big bad Qunari, I could totally hold you down and conquer you" thing, which he backs down from (with an "Oh. Is that not where we're going?" response) when Dorian has an "uh what" reaction--it's pretty clearly supposed to be sort of a roleplay flirting thing, not a real rape threat. And after they do hook up, Dorian mentions it first happened after an ill-advised night of drinking. But Dorian also leaves his underwear in Bull's room as an excuse to come back rather than just suggesting they have another go, and if you talk to him about their hookup, he compares it to Fereldan beer--he likes it, but he's embarrassed to like it/feels that he shouldn't, so he's quiet about it until Trespasser, when time has passed and he's grown more comfortable.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's completely fair if people are put off by the above/think unfortunate implications still matter in-universe even if they weren't intended by the writers. And it's true that many victims of assault (and others) don't even recognize it as such if they willingly got drunk. But it's not accurate to reduce it to "Bull definitely assaulted a black-out drunk Dorian and people who like them as a couple are okay with that" which I've seen some people do.

Anyway if my game is anything to go by, people don't need to worry about that hookup getting rubbed in their faces because it was something like 100 hours before they banged in my first playthrough.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

effervescible posted:

IB-Dorian explanation

Thanks. I did not remember the rape so was getting concerned. I liked IB and Dorian. Dorian especially.

babypolis posted:

DAO was so good. I remember watching this stream they were doing prerelease where people were racing to finish the game and when I saw they were actually getting owned in the combat I knew the game was going to be great

Same. I miss the old wheel and combat from DAO. Hell many things about DAO. I play on the xbox exclusively and having to stick with just a small amount of spells and skills is annoying. One of the best things about levelling up a mage is the sheer amount of spells to choose from. I LOVED having a giant spell reservoir to draw from. Petrify and stonefist? Yay. grease and fireball? Yes please. Frozen baddie meet crushing prison. The quick bar is nice and all but I like it as just a quick bar as opposed to the only things I can access in combat.

I also miss long term pets. If I work to having a necro let me summon a bloody skeleton. At least one. Ranger having a permanent buddy? Yes, please. Also I miss the old specializations. They were a minor addition as opposed to having to choose a path.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Respec him into archery and Sera to daggers. Meshes much better with their specializations, as cams points out.

Ooooh nice. Two Rogues, 1 tank and 1 mage? That sounds challenging. I've gotten spoiled to using two mages constantly.
If I can ask: is there that much more of a payoff for faithful andraste human than dwarf? I've already been the ultimate outsider so I'm thinking doing a human might be the best reverse to that.

Robo Turnus posted:

Just finished trespasser. The wolf is a gently caress. Iron Bull is a gently caress. Cannot wait to kill all qunari and elfs.
The Qunari I totally get. But Solas? Isn't there a part of him you can relate or empathise with? Maybe its just me but his ending is so tragic and relatable. Best of intentions and all of that. He's not Corydingus or the Arch-daemon. In another world he would be the protagonist of a game. Leading a glorious revolution to the corrupt powers that be that led to misfortune and wakes up in a world that his gently caress up created. Like a dark, alternate reality. There have been loads of stories where the protagonist tries to bring back the world he accidentally created. To fix his mistake. To bring back the world and people he loved and lost. That he understood and failed. Like Hal Jordan after Coast City went kaboom. I remember this one book series that had a character that was a monster because "he would burn the world in the name of what he thought was right". I guess anti-hero is another term but I think that downplays the true tragedy of Solas. He really does love a romanced Inquisitor. Truly. He is a hero. A flawed hero to his world and people. A world that died. That is no more. Loved his character. Really hope he comes back. I was annoyed the Architect didnt but I can live with it. Flemeth I want more of. Solas? He has to be there. He will never quit or give up. He cannot. He will not. I just hope another game keeps this mirror-universe protagonist theme going. Its good stuff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I see Solas as just another side of the same coin as Corypheus: Haughty arrogant old dudes who want to forcibly revert the world back to some abstract ideal that never really existed, that they themselves played a central role in loving up to begin with. gently caress that noise, Thedas may be a steaming shitheap but at least it's OUR shitheap, so go gently caress off to the veil and leave us alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

I see Solas as just another side of the same coin as Corypheus: Haughty arrogant old dudes who want to forcibly revert the world back to some abstract ideal that never really existed, that they themselves played a central role in loving up to begin with. gently caress that noise, Thedas may be a steaming shitheap but at least it's OUR shitheap, so go gently caress off to the veil and leave us alone.

By all accounts, the world of Dragon Age has never not sucked for anyone except the elite few in power. The best the current out group can ever hope for is to luck into a position of power like the Inquisitor where what they actually are and want will be conveniently ignored and rewritten by history to support the ruling class and status quo (see: Andraste, the first Inquisitor guy, Thane Shartan, etc) or to become a certified Uncle Tom like Sera.

One reason why I dislike Sera so much. The seemingly "smash the state!" girl is actually the most fiercely devoted to maintaining the status quo.