Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Welcome to 2018, Capcom!

Available on PS4/Xbone globally January 26, 2018, and PC August 9, 2018
It's finally happened, we're free of the specter of the PS2 :pray:

Discord Link

:siren: JOIN THE DISCORD FOR GUILD INVITES :siren:

PS4 Community @ "Palico Pals"
XB1 Club @ "Awful Hunters"
Steam Group @ "Awful Hunters"

Monster Hunter is an Action-RPG series developed and published by Capcom. The aim of the game is to hunt the biggest and most dangerous game, so that you can make ridiculous equipment out of it and take on even scarier creatures. You can play alone or with up to 3 other manly men or busty babes. Worried village elders or the esoteric Hunter's Guild will send you out on dangerous missions, with little in way apart from what you bring yourself, to kill these incredible beasts.

Perennially exclusive to handheld consoles before, we're finally in the modern era with the latest installment. This franchise spawned its own genre, often referred to as Hunting-Action. There are no levels or skill trees. A high-ranked player survives largely on skill alone, and the difference between newbie and high-level armor is the ability to soak up maybe 2-3 extra hits before dying. MH:World is a massive overhaul to the franchise, bringing the series more in line with those broader fantasies you would have about a game about excursions into hellhole jungles full of monsters.

• There are no 'levels' in Monster Hunter. You unlock additional content by "ranking up" by completing specific missions, which are generally increasingly more difficult hunts.
  • Hunting a monster is not limited to just killing it dead, you can also capture it when it is weak by using a trap and tranquilizers. This will usually result in even more parts obtained.
  • Equipment is crafted by using monster parts that you gather by hunting them or finding them in the field.
  • Increasing your Defense is done by making higher rank armors, however this will not stop you from dying often against the later monsters.
  • Armor-based passive bonuses. Every piece of gear grants you some measure of boosts that can be stacked to increase the benefits (though some have upper limits). This can be anything from standard attack/defense boosts, to speed bonuses, to automatically reloading your guns, and many other options.
  • There are 14 different weapon classes to hunt with. All of the melee weapons have a "sharpness" rating, which degrades as you use it. It must be restored by stopping to sharpen the weapon. Ranged weapons use ammunition instead.
  • Missions are timed. The general limit is 50 minutes, however special instances have a shorter limit. If you don't complete your objective in this time, you fail.
  • You have limited knockouts. If you die 3 times, you fail the mission. In very special instances, you are only allowed a single death.
  • Multiplayer! MH:World has gone out of its way to make playing online easier than ever, with the ability to call in assistance after you've already started your hunts.

First Generation:

Monster Hunter
The original game, for PS2. Attacks were controlled with the second analog stick, camera movement with the d-pad, and one of those few games with online play (probably the best on the console).
NA release date: September 2004
PAL release date: May 2005

Monster Hunter Freedom
The PSP port of the original game's JP-only "expansion", for hunting on the go! Features local ad-hoc multiplayer and everything the original had.
NA/PAL release date: May 2006

Second Generation:

Monster Hunter Dos
The sequel to the original, never released outside of Japan. The maps were redone, more online quests added, and a boatload of new monsters introduced to the series.
JP release date: Feburary 2006

Monster Hunter Freedom 2
The PSP port of the second game, because it's a much better game than the first was. However, it's been rendered obsolete by its sequel...
NA release date: August 2007
PAL release date: September 2007

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (Original Thread)
The "compilation" game of Gen 2, just how Ultimate is the Gen 3 compilation. Features all of the monsters up until that point plus several new additions, totaling a massive 57 boss creatures to hunt. If you want to get into the series and have a PSP, this is the title to invest in.
NA/PAL release date: June 2009

This is also available on iOS with online multiplayer (!!!), though mobile doesn't seem like the best way to experience it IMO?

Third Generation:

Monster Hunter Tri (Original Thread)
The console reboot of the series. Much of the content has been shaved down or redone entirely. Features far fewer boss monsters and equipment, but looks gorgeous. The game's online servers have been taken down as of Ultimate's release, so High Rank content and the online bosses are no longer accessible.
NA/PAL release date: April 2010

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Original Thread)
The 3rd gen PSP/PS3 title, continues where Tri left off by once again retooling how various weapons function and introducing new monsters. If you're not satisfied between Unite and Tri, this is the next stop. Check the original thread for fan translation links and other assorted info.
JP release date (PSP): December 2010 (PS3 ver: August 2011)

Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate (Original Thread)
Just like Freedom Unite, this is where 3rd Gen will make its final stop, with every monster ever made for 3rd Gen being included plus some extras. 50 total bosses are to be found in this installment. The WiiU version can be played directly online and the 3DS version supports either local play or tunneled online play via a WiiU Console.
JP release date (3DS): December 2011 (WiiU ver: December 2012)
NA/PAL release date (Both): March 2013

Fourth Generation:

Monster Hunter 4
The first foray into the Fourth Generation of MH. With the competition of other games encroaching on MH's rather aged mechanics, they took a larger step out of their comfort zone with this entry and added a slew of new upgrades to the game and the engine. It is the first portable game with its own enabled Wi-Fi protocol, there is the new "mounting" mechanic, areas are now designed with an enhanced vertical aspect, two new weapon classes, and underwater fights are out of the game for good this time.
JP release date: September 2013

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate(jp) (Original Thread)
Despite not being available for WiiU, we still have the same subtitle. This is the version of 4 released to the rest of the world, and the big thing here is a focus on "past favorites". Nearly every monster from 2nd Gen has been brought back to this entry and even more new monsters have been added, providing one of the most varied sets of monsters available in the series.
JP release date: October 2014
NA/PAL release date: February 2015

Monster Hunter Generations (Original Thread)
The penultimate entry in the fourth generation of Monster Hunter, this one brings in some help from the guys who worked on the Frontier MMO to bring you Hunting Styles to greatly expand upon the way the various weapons and such function. There's a lot of personalization to be had in the way you approach things, and a handful of new monsters exclusive to this title as well as a healthy spattering of monsters from every other previous generation (hence the name).
JP release date: November 2015
NA/PAL release date: July 15, 2016

Monster Hunter Double Cross
Despite claiming they didn't intend to make an expansion for Generations (Cross), they went ahead and did it anyway, and subsequently withheld it from western territories in the interest of promoting MH:World instead. Adds extra hunting styles, brings a few more old faces and adds a decent amount of new ones, and includes the standard G-Rank additional difficulty. Was also ported to Switch!
JP release date (3DS): March 2017 (Switch ver: August 2017)

Other:

Monster Hunter Frontier
The PC MMO of the series. Currently only running in various asian countries (Taiwan, Japan), it features huge lobbies, a pseudo-leveling system, ludicrous amounts of gear, new maps, and its own set of exclusive beasts (on top of everything that isn't exclusive to MHFU/3rd Generation), totaling at well over 100 different boss monsters to hunt. Play long enough and you'll gain access to completely redone versions of many of the boss monsters, shooting the unique hunt count to over 200. Some people in the discord this game regularly, so if you're interested in details, check out the appropriate channel in discord and/or ping me to ask about it.

Monster Hunter Online
Another PC MMO published by Tencent Games that utilizes the Crytek Engine. It has a lot of distinct differences in the gameplay and is currently stuck in perpetual beta periods, it has been stated that it is unlikely to be released outside of Chinese territories.
This game is in Open Beta with no region locking if you want to try and get your hands dirty, no quality guarantees though

How do I know if I'll like this series or not?
There are demos for most of the franchise's games on 3DS (but these are not great representations of your true gameplay experience, and doubly not-so for MH:World)
You can try out Toukiden 2 or God Eater on PC, but both of these are quite different from MH and tend to play much more fast-paced and 'arcadey'.
Additionally, if you own a PSVita, there are at least 2 other games that are basically Monster Hunter descendants but far easier to get involved with right away (Soul Sacrifice/Freedom Wars)
Keep in mind that Monster Hunter is a unique game that doesn't really match any other gameplay style, and often takes 8 or more hours for most people to claim that it "clicked" and they became addicted.

Can I play with people from different regions in World's online?
Shocking everybody, MH:World has global multiplayer! Play with whoever you want.

Where do I find X in Monster Hunter Y?
If you're playing Unite, check here or here.
If you're playing Tri, check here.
If you're playing Portable 3rd, check here.
If you're playing 3U/4U/Gens/XX, check here.

Do I kill it, or capture it?
90% of the time, the answer is "unless you can only get it from carving, you should capture the monster". Capturing often results in more rewards and generally takes less time.

Which weapon is the best?
Read/watch the weapon guides below and see which one tickles your fancy! There are no longer objectively good/bad weapons in these games anymore, so use your favorites.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Monster Hunter World

Welcome to Next-Gen! Unless you're on PC, then you're waiting until at least Q3 2018 :rip:

New to World:
  • Damage Numbers :spergin:
  • Armor system revamp! This one is a big deal, armor is now no longer exclusive to weapon types, and "skills" confer their bonuses immediately with more points simply enhacing the effects.
  • Mantles. Along with the armor revamp, we now have an extra slot for a new kind of armor that gives you a new special ability. There's ones that give you stealth, ones that call monsters to you, one that lets you glide from vertical terrain, the list goes on.
  • You can use consumables while moving, no more post-drink posing.
  • Loading screens are mostly gone! Areas are now large sandboxes that you can quicktravel between.
  • Voice Acting?
  • Monster In-Fighting! Watch them try to eat each other (and mostly fail).
  • Drop-in/Drop-out Multiplayer!
  • A hell of a lot of other changes, MH:W is a huge overhaul of everything.

FAQs
I can't skip cutscenes?
Nope.

How can I make more gear? It says "Under Development"
Do the story. This is the answer to most access related problems, nearly everything is relegated to campaign progress.

My Scoutflies aren't leveling up or something?
Make sure you're cashing in your ecology research with the head researcher.

How do I upgrade the Canteen?
Same deal, when you fulfill the requirements of Bounties, they have to be manually cashed in at the relevant NPC. Make sure you're gathering at Account Item/Resource Point gathering locations, as many new RP items will unlock new ingredients.

Upgrading the farm?
Make sure you're talking to everyone with a "!" over their head, Farm upgrade quests will be listed under 'Optional'. Some of them are bounty deliveries.

MY RADIAL MENU OMG

quote:

PSA: Anybody wondering why their custom radial menu keeps getting reset, radial menus are tied to item sets. Changing to an item set will set your radial menu back.

What you should do is set your custom radial menu and then register your item set, and it will save the radial menu for when you swap to that item set.

How do I join the squads?
You have to be invited specifically by the leader of the squad while you're in a lobby with them. It's a pretty bad system.

Is there something that will help me build gear sets?
http://honeyhunterworld.com/

How does mounting actually work??
It's essentially a status on the monster like Paralysis or Poison. Every monster has a base "resistance" to "Mounting" which is reduced by executing attacks against them while airborne. Once you've done it enough, you'll grab on to the monster and get your QTE prompts. The prompt for a special attack will be the signal that the monster is about to suffer a complete knockdown, though the more times you mount a monster, the more times you'll have to hang on and execute the special attack before this happens.

Does it support cross-region play?
:siren: YES, MH:W has global multiplayer!! :siren:

14 weapon types in all for you to mess around with. There generally isn't a "best" weapon, so check out the videos and see which you prefer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd0dt80QETg
Sword and Shield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZaDcSluWE
Dual Swords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4y_a9xQ02k
Long Sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iVVniNmf3M
Great Sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oialE6SGcw
Hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm-KmSn9r2w
Hunting Horn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PYpvrk5j-c
Lance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtAW2xXZ9nE
Gunlance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW31JosWPdI
Switch Axe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoGn9vSVv6I
Charge Blade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uug81rUvnTs
Insect Glaive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFPZaga4qWw
Bow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_oNMRiT5II https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwsTHM-0A-g
Light Bowgun & Heavy Bowgun

A giant picture with almost all of the monsters from Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (click for big)

A giant picture with nearly all of the monster from Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate (open in new tab for big)

Media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtT5GIViSXo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULqY6yXn2S4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ql8jQBgsw

Emalde fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 13, 2018

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Anxiously awaiting the wait for PC release!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I haven't hunted mons in a pretty long time, but I'm hype for World. Hopefully my friends will get it on PC instead of PS4 so I won't have to buy a new console to play with them.

I should throw Generations back in my DS and see where the hell I left off.

e: the big question: should I continue scrub-tiering with the Swaxe, or try to actually try to learn how to Charge Blade effectively?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 2, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm unbelievably pumped.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

PC version will have a mod to add in the voice after cooking, making it objectively better. :colbert:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I haven't hunted mons in a pretty long time, but I'm hype for World. Hopefully my friends will get it on PC instead of PS4 so I won't have to buy a new console to play with them.

I should throw Generations back in my DS and see where the hell I left off.

e: the big question: should I continue scrub-tiering with the Swaxe, or try to actually try to learn how to Charge Blade effectively?

Learn all the weapons so you can destroy anything with the right tool for the job.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I'm so incredibly excited to lose myself in a world that doesn't look like a hot jaggy mess.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Why are the guys always left handed?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm super pumped to wait 6 months minimum for the release of the PC version!

:negative:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

same

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

The PC version will be quietly shelved after months of "we're working really hard to get it out to you guys, don't worry".

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Can't wait for a PC port chock full of memory leaks!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MohShuvuu posted:

Capcom PC ports are generally solid.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Can't wait to Han some Mon on a console in the first time in forever!

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Bought a PS4 just for this game so I could leave all of you in the dust on release :dance:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Why are the guys always left handed?

Cos Link is cool and left handed too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

beta is on my birthday weekend, this is a clear sign of good things to come

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is the PC version out yet

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Countblanc posted:

is the PC version out yet

You just missed it...

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm going to dig a hole with my PS4, Dragonball FighterZ, World and never come out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alpha Phoenix posted:

You just missed it...

Argh!!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
*bangs knife and fork on the table* pc version pc version

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Where do I get hunting spirit, is that a dlc?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Fuzzykins posted:

Bought a PS4 just for this game so I could leave all of you in the dust on release :dance:

Same. Monster Hunter is worth buying a whole system for...which is why I own a PSP, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, and now a PS4

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I cannot wait! This game is going to be great.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I can finally hunt with my friends in Japan, it's been too drat long! Will no-life the weekend of the test and hang on discord

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
World's gonna own bones.

And I'm gonna make some hats out of those bones.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

World's gonna own bones.

And I'm gonna make some hats out of those bones.

And I'm gonna play it on a bone!

... I'll see myself out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MohShuvuu posted:

Ya I hope it isn't too long after the console release but hopefully this means they make a decent port.

Anyway incredibly hyped for this game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:stoked: except it's a qurupeco

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Do we have a PS4 community up yet? Going to need some friends to hunt with seeing as how none of my regular PS4 buddies even know what the MH franchise is.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

have we seen the steak cooking yet? this is very important

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Awesome! posted:

have we seen the steak cooking yet? this is very important

Yes, and they changed the jingle and they changed the so tasty voice, and the so tasty only plays once per hunt now, and basically they ruined it, unironically.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Funkmaster General posted:

Yes, and they changed the jingle and they changed the so tasty voice, and the so tasty only plays once per hunt now, and basically they ruined it, unironically.

That's almost grounds to not buy the game.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Can't wait to channel the anime, long swords 4 lyfe

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Will this be the one? The one where gunlances are top tier?

My dream :unsmith:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ohXbAG2Dc

14:05 for cooking music/timing change.

Sorry, hard to link to a timestamp on my phone.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Funkmaster General posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ohXbAG2Dc

14:05 for cooking music/timing change.

Sorry, hard to link to a timestamp on my phone.

Just add &t=14m5s to the url

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

:(