Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Hamlet posted:

Isn't that pretty much how it's always been?

Yeah, I've captured sleeping monsters all the time. It's easy, you just walk right up and set the trap as close as possible.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I
am
so
ready

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This, but harder

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This, but harder
But I can't get any harder

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

How do these games play out in multiplayer when you have different players with a spectrum of gear levels? As in if we have a group that would play together but some people play 20x more than others will it make the game a total cake walk if those 20x players team up with the lowbie people?

Yes, but a few notes

First, it is super easy to handicap. Progression is all gear, all that grognard needs to do is equip a weaker rank weapon. Numbers don't really inflate very much in these series, especially not without the 3rd tier of difficulty "G Rank". As far as we know, MH World lacks G Rank, so progression will be fairly modest even without intentional handicapping.

Second, money is always a "thing". Helping people out yields monster parts. While the parts might long be past useful, they can typically be sold for a decent bit of cash.

Lastly, while there are no classes, the weapon types are altogether different gameplay experiences. They do not require independent leveling either. So it is common for people who are handicapping to ALSO grab an unfamiliar weapon type, both to learn something new and keep the retread of content fresh.

Monster Hunter is incredibly friendly to teams who progress at different rates. You have to handicap intentionally, but it is simple to address.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gently caress me, two months...

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I hope mouse and keyboard doesn't make gunning too powerful and easy or popular. Like 70% of the appeal of using a bowgun is being the Cool Gun Dude who never gets hit and flinches the monster out of charges and having a bunch of perfectly accurate bozos cramping my style is gonna be dumb.

On the other hand, the new special ammo is so fuckin' neat that who cares if its overplayed, fire everything.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It was never like hugely difficult to shoot monsters before. They're big targets and they spend a lot of time standing around.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
In what I'm sure was a subconscious gambit to protect my fragile psyche, I had forgotten that there's gonna be a delay on the PC version :negative:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sard posted:

I hope mouse and keyboard doesn't make gunning too powerful and easy or popular. Like 70% of the appeal of using a bowgun is being the Cool Gun Dude who never gets hit and flinches the monster out of charges and having a bunch of perfectly accurate bozos cramping my style is gonna be dumb.

On the other hand, the new special ammo is so fuckin' neat that who cares if its overplayed, fire everything.

People are probably over-estimating how much mouse control is going to influence bowguns. At best it will make the playstyle more accessible - but that's assuming mouse controls, nevermind bowgun mouse controls are even all that competent: negative mouse acceleration is a bitch.

Otherwise a lot more goes into gunning than accuracy, and a lot of it buffers the impact that being an accuracy shot plays on performance. Things like shots hitting repeatedly, being "sticky" deviation, critical range, non-hitscan projectiles, etc.

Accuracy helps, but it's not going to do much beside lower the ground floor so people can get started gunning. Ceiling won't change too much. You will still stand out as "not bad" since despite there being no difference between armor class, gunners don't gain def bonuses from weapon class, meaning a lot of those pubbie gunners are going to be liabilities.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think it will make a fairly big difference for really good players who know what to shoot next to cause staggers and otherwise let them hit the head a lot more consistently--just hitting the monster anywhere who's the size of a barn isn't hard for a controller, but hitting the head or a specific spot to cause a stagger will definitely be a lot easier with mouselook.

This is of course assuming the M&KB controls are actually any good, which they might not be, and there will still be the disadvantage of less fine dodging with WASD. If they're good though I might have to go DS4 for blademastering and M&KB for gunning :v:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i'm great at bowguning on a 3ds and poo poo at console fps games

i'm gonna have a Bad Time

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Kiggles posted:

You will still stand out as "not bad" since despite there being no difference between armor class, gunners don't gain def bonuses from weapon class, meaning a lot of those pubbie gunners are going to be liabilities.

This is a good and reassuring point. While I do lose some time on the 3DS from adjusting aim, the not-getting-hit part is where the real coolness lies. Especially when you do it so that you're about a foot adjacent from eating an attack and just firing away. And with moving fire being a thing, maybe precision just won't be as in-demand now; the dual sticks of a controller would definitely rule for that.

Sard fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 4, 2017

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sard posted:

Especially when you do it so that you're about a foot adjacent from eating an attack and just firing away. And with moving fire being a thing, maybe precision just won't be as in-demand now; the dual sticks of a controller would definitely rule for that.
Absolutely this. Being expertly aware of ranging is going to make all the difference in sustained damage output when you're laying on the hurt without a hitch because you have that acute awareness of when and where a monster is going to be.

Analog may help - especially for firing from the hip.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I plan to get this game, I use to believe the game release next year, but I have heard of rumours of a "beta"?

is that beta invitation only? when it start?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Tei posted:

I plan to get this game, I use to believe the game release next year, but I have heard of rumours of a "beta"?

is that beta invitation only? when it start?

This weekend. PS4 only. Just need Plus.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Check the top of the OP. It is basically a demo from december 9-12, available if you have PS+

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
what's the cheapest way to get a month of ps+

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

dragon enthusiast posted:

what's the cheapest way to get a month of ps+

free 14 day trial
edit: https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/IP9101-NPIA90005_01-PSPLUS14DAYTRIAL

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

this looks really, really cool

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

charged blade is super cool and is one of the highest skill ceiling weapons

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Counterpoint. I see your sword axe and Raise you an axe sword.

Switch Axe is love.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

What the hell, this game is more complex than a fighting game! :swoon:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Switch Axe is love.

:discourse:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Bombadilillo posted:

Switch Axe is love.

Except you pretty much never use the Axe mode, so it's more of a sword sword.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Except you pretty much never use the Axe mode, so it's more of a sword sword.

I use Axe mode a bunch, for its reach, better mobility and its infinite stamina draining combo. You can always transition into sword midcombo so you have the advantages of reach and movement are huge when getting into position or for faster monsters while sacrificing 1 or 2 hits of axe over sword.

Also I pop the sword blastie blast often because I really like axe mode too and am not afraid to burst into it. Which is nice

Of course this was all before World so who knows how the combos have changed up. Also with actual numbers popping up I might change my style depending on the strength of hits I'm seeing real time.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 6, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In tri I used axe mode probably 3/4 of the time. It was the best weapon in the game for severing tails with those two perfectly vertical swings and really the only one that had any hope of consistently hitting some tails like uragaan's at its normal height. You couldn't just sit in sword form against fast monsters either.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The arts for Switch Axe in Gen were basically the game saying, "Axe mode? What Axe mode? Just stay in sword mode."

I heard it was more balanced in XX.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The arts for Switch Axe in Gen were basically the game saying, "Axe mode? What Axe mode? Just stay in sword mode."

I heard it was more balanced in XX.

If by "balanced" you mean they introduced a new art which gave such a massive buff to axe mode that it was viable to stay in it all the time and never use the sword, correct.

I mained the Switch Axe in Gen, but I feel like I didn't play the weapon like it was meant to be used so I might main it again for World.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

TheArchimage posted:

If by "balanced" you mean they introduced a new art which gave such a massive buff to axe mode that it was viable to stay in it all the time and never use the sword, correct.

I mained the Switch Axe in Gen, but I feel like I didn't play the weapon like it was meant to be used so I might main it again for World.

In Gen there were two arts that when combined let you stay in sword mode indefinitely, and another that buffed sword damage. So it made no sense to ever switch back to axe. Which is silly because the weapon is called switch axe.

Hilarious that they "balanced" it in xx by just making axe op instead. Oh Capcom :allears:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Every SA conversation ever:
"Just use sword mode"
"But what about <extremely specific situation>?"

I know I won't get my wish on this but it'd be nice if they just got rid of phials altogether. Make every SA Power and every CB Impact.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mailer posted:

"Just use sword mode"

I know I won't get my wish on this but it'd be nice if they just got rid of phials altogether. Make every SA Power and every CB Impact.

Or get rid of power/impact phials, bake in the damage boost in sword mode by default, and make all phial bursts do stun damage.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Game looks great! Charge blade is back!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

empathe posted:

Game looks great! Charge blade is back!

charge blade was never gone

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mailer posted:

"Just use sword mode"

Literally not. We just had the opposite conversation.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

charge blade was never gone

I hated it in Gen.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

empathe posted:

I hated it in Gen.

adept cb was the poo poo :shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of which: have they said what (if anything) is replacing styles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
More base moves for weapons.