Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Anyway everyone's uploading videos so here's what I've been practicing this month. Watching it back my immediate thought is too rushed and tense, which is unsurprising when you're recording and trying to focus on more than just the playing, and some of those higher up the neck notes could be cleaner. And as always, the right hand needs work. It always needs work. It never ends. Pretty happy with my progress though, I've been working on jessamyn's reel for years and a few months ago I finally got it up to album speed.

EDIT: also my thumb could be a bit more confident, I think I'm moving between different grip tensions depending on the part of the tune. Need to find one and focus on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-tw3UTI2LU
https://youtu.be/5-tw3UTI2LU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RVOIVJMTFk
https://youtu.be/-RVOIVJMTFk

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Curling my fingers around the pick has been my biggest challenge coming from playing guitars for many years where I anchor my pinky against the body. I've gotten much better at control but the current challenge is getting a good chop sound which I find is difficult with that pick hold.

Speaking of picks, I bought a three pack of Dunlop Americana (rounded triangle) because I thought the shape would help my pick hold, but they're like 3.0 and I'm getting crazy pick/string noise. I have a stubby that's 2.0 that I assume is the more optimal thickness?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

zenguitarman posted:

Curling my fingers around the pick has been my biggest challenge coming from playing guitars for many years where I anchor my pinky against the body. I've gotten much better at control but the current challenge is getting a good chop sound which I find is difficult with that pick hold.

Speaking of picks, I bought a three pack of Dunlop Americana (rounded triangle) because I thought the shape would help my pick hold, but they're like 3.0 and I'm getting crazy pick/string noise. I have a stubby that's 2.0 that I assume is the more optimal thickness?

I still splay my fingers when I strum or chop, so I move between rounded finger grip and splayed finger for lead to rhythm.

I also use the dunlops, mine are 1.4 and that suits just fine, wouldn't need anything thicker I think. The missus is buying me a blue chip CT 55 for my birthday and I'm very curious to see how that plays.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m actually curious about the physics behind why mando picks are different than guitar picks. I’m extra curious cause I know it’s not just cultural momentum : when my ignorant rear end started, I only had guitar picks which sounded like melting butts until I happened to find chunkier rounded-triangle picks and switched to those cause they sounded better. I thought I was weird until I saw people online all agreeing on that and found out I independently derived the “correct” kind of pick.

I’m also on team Dunlop but that’s mostly cause they were the first I found and they came in a box of 50 or some other ridiculous number where I haven’t had to buy any since. Really curious how the blue chips sound and feel though : what the hell does a 35$ pick do???

(Also I took people’s advice and haven’t been replying cause I’m waiting to level out some to give a semi-objective report. Tl;dr keeping your fingers near the fretboard helps speed, accuracy, relaxation, tone, etc. a lot. Thanks!)

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I think the thicker triangle picks are better for mandolin because the strength and fluidity needed to flatpick across double strings is a lot more demanding than on guitar. We also don't use anywhere near the same amount of hammer ons and pull offs and all those tricks to reduce right hand movement.

edit: the price tag on the blue chip is because of the material it's made from, the closest we can get to turtle shell without killing turtles lol. apparently they just never wear down and are better weighted? i dunno, i'll report back when I get it.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 29, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Word. I figured the thicker picks was cause of courses, that makes very intuitive sense, but not clear on the shape besides knowing that it feels right.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I like having more pick in my hand to hold, the wider base of the triangle makes my grip more secure and gives more control over all the details there. Guitar picks make me want to squeeze it more because it keeps vanishing in my fingers.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Yeah the exact first thing I noticed was your fingers are going too far from the neck when you lift them.

Technique looks good, maybe the right hand is a little stiff? I relax my grip to the point where I nearly drop the pick and then let it settle from there.

If you like, I can hop on a brief video call and have a closer look, see if we can find some exact stuff to work on.

Also for practice tunes I'm gonna suggest you have a look at the intro to Thile's Bittersweet Reel. The solo will knock you out but the intro has some really cool arpeggio stuff that will give your right and left hands a hell of a workout.

So update on this (I hope I'm not spamming the thread with my progress. If I am, let me know).

Yeah I think this was a major thing that helped me a lot. I'm now consistently getting my fingers closer to the fretboard and even then not as much as I should, but even sometimes shrinking the distance from the egregious 4-5 inches I could get with my 3rd and 4th fingers down to 1-2 inches is a GIANT impact. After some pretty small growing-pains of things being a slightly different spot, my left hand relaxes a bunch more, I'm faster, my left hand is less likely to just go rogue and hit the wrong fret... Across the board improvement with regards to just about everything. Still not implemented 100%, but it's a sign of progress and an obvious road to continue down.

So thanks a million!

I desperately need to listen to more Thile in general. I obviously listened to some cause a Nickel Creek habit is what got me here, but I don't know his solo stuff as well as I should. Bittersweet Reel is in the hopper of tunes to learn now though. (Currently with Hangman's Reel, which is a tune I love probably more than is healthy.) If anyone has any other pet mandolinists I should check out, I'm happy to take recommendations. I listen to a bunch, but it's not like I'm gonna cry about too much mandolin music at this point or bemoan listening to more Sam Bush.

I've also got this that I'm doing as a work in progress if anyone wants to chime in : https://soundcloud.com/corbin-neuha...=social_sharing It's still super rough, but the right hand stuff is really cool. It's like a march that got drunk and decided it was a jig one day, I think, so it's got some really great momentum once it gets going. Sharing more because it's easy enough even I can do it, but addictively fun to play so maybe someone else can use it for something.

As to your offer of doing a video chat, I'd love to, but I know you're a teacher and I'm flat broke so I can't pay you. I already feel guilty just asking for the help you've given, but maybe we can put a pin in that once I get my finances slightly back together?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Xiahou Dun posted:

So update on this (I hope I'm not spamming the thread with my progress. If I am, let me know).

Yeah I think this was a major thing that helped me a lot. I'm now consistently getting my fingers closer to the fretboard and even then not as much as I should, but even sometimes shrinking the distance from the egregious 4-5 inches I could get with my 3rd and 4th fingers down to 1-2 inches is a GIANT impact. After some pretty small growing-pains of things being a slightly different spot, my left hand relaxes a bunch more, I'm faster, my left hand is less likely to just go rogue and hit the wrong fret... Across the board improvement with regards to just about everything. Still not implemented 100%, but it's a sign of progress and an obvious road to continue down.

So thanks a million!

I desperately need to listen to more Thile in general. I obviously listened to some cause a Nickel Creek habit is what got me here, but I don't know his solo stuff as well as I should. Bittersweet Reel is in the hopper of tunes to learn now though. (Currently with Hangman's Reel, which is a tune I love probably more than is healthy.) If anyone has any other pet mandolinists I should check out, I'm happy to take recommendations. I listen to a bunch, but it's not like I'm gonna cry about too much mandolin music at this point or bemoan listening to more Sam Bush.

I've also got this that I'm doing as a work in progress if anyone wants to chime in : https://soundcloud.com/corbin-neuha...=social_sharing It's still super rough, but the right hand stuff is really cool. It's like a march that got drunk and decided it was a jig one day, I think, so it's got some really great momentum once it gets going. Sharing more because it's easy enough even I can do it, but addictively fun to play so maybe someone else can use it for something.

As to your offer of doing a video chat, I'd love to, but I know you're a teacher and I'm flat broke so I can't pay you. I already feel guilty just asking for the help you've given, but maybe we can put a pin in that once I get my finances slightly back together?

I was thinking like a 5 or 10 minute check in just to have a look at the playing and see if there's any immediate stuff i can advise on but happy to delay the offer until you're in a position to pay me for it, no worries.

As for what to listen to, David Benedict recently did a video of his top 10 fave instrumental mandolin albums, and it's a very good list, so:

10 - David Grisman "Hot Dawg" 1978
Notable tracks are Dawg's Bull, Minor Swing, and Neon Tetra.

9 - Jacob Jolliff "Instrumentals Vol 1" 2018
Notable tracks are Storming Heaven, Sheerson, and Waitin' On Gravy

8 - John Reischman "Walk Along John" 2013
Notable tracks are Itzbin Reel, A Prairie Jewel, and Little Pine Siskin

7 - Edgar Meyer "Uncommon Ritual" 1997
Notable tracks are Seesaw, Chromium Picolinate, and Child's Play

6 - Grant Gordy "Grant Gordy" 2010
Notable tracks include Pterodactyl, Little Grapes, and Digging Hargreaves

5 - Mike Marshall and Chris Thile "Live Duets" 2006
Notable tracks are Shoulda Seen It Comin, Byron's, and Sedi Donka

4 - Noam Pikelny "Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe" 2013
Notable tracks are Lonesome Moonlight Waltz, Big Sandy River, and Wheel Hoss

3 - Jeremy Kittel "Whorls" 2018
Notable tracks are Pando, Alpena, and Chrysalis

2 - Bela Fleck "Tales From The Acoustic Planet Vol. 2: The Bluegrass Sessions" 1999
Notable tracks include Buffalo Nickel, Spanish Point, The Overgrown Waltz

1 - Chris Thile "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" 2001
Notable tracks are Song For A Young Queen, Raining At Sunset, Bridal Veil Falls, Wolfcreek Pass, and Riddles In The Dark

I'd also suggest definitely being familiar with Andy Irvine's work, he's the only really prominent Irish mandolinist who doesn't just play it like a tenor banjo. Most of his Planxty albums but especially his duo albums with Paul Brady and Dick Gaughan. If you're interested in Brazilian choro jazz, then Mike Marshall has a great collab album with Hamilton de Holanda which is a good starting point. Enjoy!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hahaha. Yeah, Benedict's list is something I've been working through. Hopefully you copy-pasted that and I didn't make you type it up. Probably should have mentioned that one, sorry! And I'll definitely check out Irvine, I know I have at least 2-3 Planxty albums kicking around so that's a good on-ramp. I like Irish music a lot, but the mandolin in that genre has always struck me as a sort of also-ran kind of option where it's just a banjo-fiddle hybrid that some people sometimes throw in, as opposed to like bluegrass where it's more prominent.

And how about I PM you and we can set something up? If it's just a short thing I can scrape together at least something so I'm not wasting your time.

Thanks again!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hahaha. Yeah, Benedict's list is something I've been working through. Hopefully you copy-pasted that and I didn't make you type it up. Probably should have mentioned that one, sorry! And I'll definitely check out Irvine, I know I have at least 2-3 Planxty albums kicking around so that's a good on-ramp. I like Irish music a lot, but the mandolin in that genre has always struck me as a sort of also-ran kind of option where it's just a banjo-fiddle hybrid that some people sometimes throw in, as opposed to like bluegrass where it's more prominent.

And how about I PM you and we can set something up? If it's just a short thing I can scrape together at least something so I'm not wasting your time.

Thanks again!

Nah I had the list written out already.

Yeah for sure, hit me up!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hey thread, sorry been away from the mandolin for far too long. Got it out today and surprisingly was still in tune. Starting to rebuild those calluses and muscles back up, because I am needing to find some flow

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Any tips for extraneous string noise? I think I hear a G sounding a lot when I'm picking.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

zenguitarman posted:

Any tips for extraneous string noise? I think I hear a G sounding a lot when I'm picking.

Spend some time looking at and vibing with your right hand. Try different pick angles and directions, different grip looseness. If you're hitting stuff you don't want to your technique isn't comfortable yet. Takes a while to work out how your hand feels in the right spot so try a few different angles and tightnesses and try to be aware of how it feels.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

It's more like the G strings are vibrating and sounding through the body faintly while I'm picking on the E strings. There's a fair bit of extra noise while I'm playing, but I think I'm primarily hearing a G. I've seen some guitarists put a scrunchie around the nut I think to help mute extra string noise.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Huh that's weird, i have no idea. What kind of mandolin are you playing?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Does anyone around these parts want sheet music and recordings for approximately 50 gazillion historical fiddle tunes, for free?

Because PSU has this and it's pretty rad.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Recently picked up a Kentucky KM272 and have signed up for some lessons in person locally and I was wondering are there any strap recommendations for an a-style? I ordered one off Amazon but the pin I have is too large for the hole so I had to make it bigger but now it seems too loose

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Oo oo! I'm not the newest player in the thread anymore, maybe!

Sadly, I just have a random nice leather strap I got from god knows where a couple years ago, probably a music festival, so I don't know how much I can help. It seems like the kind of thing that's heavily personalized based on one's own tastes. I like mine because it's got a nice robust width for my stupid caveman shoulders but it's still small enough that I don't have to always take it off when I put my mando back in the case. But I also play almost entirely sitting down so its job isn't to keep it in position so much as just attach the incredibly expensive piece of wood to my body so I can't drop it like a goober*.

You're just worried about the fit on the hole that goes around the peg on the tail piece? Can you post a pic of what the hole looks like? There must be a way to resize it down for now and in the future you'll know not to make that big an incision. If you just did it with like a knife or scissors you can probably even just tie it closed.

What are you looking to play? Do you already play and you're expanding or is this your first swing at the ball?

Fyi it's a good thread and people are very helpful, it's just a bit quiet so there might be a delay in getting an answer back on anything.

*I got a really sweet deal on an Eastman 315 back in the spring and I should probably post that at some point. He's real pretty and he's got this nice loud bark because there's no finish.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can post a picture later tonight but as for what I wanna play mostly folk and stuff like that. This will be my first serious go at an instrument since I was a kid doing violin. It’s been so long I’m basically starting from zero

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So here’s the strap for my pin. You can see the end one, which unopened more, versus how they normally are.

And then here’s the pin on the bottom of my mandolin

Also I saw some rumblings online about humidifying and now I’m concerned cause I didn’t know anything about that and I’m in the North East in RI. Do I need to worry about using a humidifier in my case or whatever?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have an Eastman 315, and I love it. Recently had a full re-setup done on it and it still sounds great. I even snapped the tip of the headstock off accidentally like Bill Monroe did.

It is my goon opinion that you dont need to worry about humidity on a $500 instrument. I don't. I don't humidify my Martin guitar, but at that pricepoint, maybe I should, but I do keep it in its case. I live in MD so I think it's humid enough to not have to worry. I would assume the same about RI. I also have radiator heat in my house, so my house doesn't dry out significantly.

Now, if you want to keep a humidifier in your case, I don't think there's any harm in that, but I wouldn't worry about it. Take it to the beach from time to time and play some sea shanties and let that soak up all that salty air...

If you had a Collings or some expensive rare mandolin, I'd say do it, but (and im not being snobby here) that I just wouldn't worry about it for a lower-mid tier instrument, which are most of the instruments I own, FWIW. You can also take it in from time to time to the luthier and get their thoughts.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Humidity problems make themselves apparent as the wood swells (humid) or contracts (dry) and the alignment of all the components attached shifts a few thousandths of an inch. Mandolins have high string tension and a short scale length, so tiny misalignments have large effect on the sound and playability.

If you feel the ends of the frets trying to escape out the sides of the neck/binding, you have a very dry instrument that might benefit from a Dampit soundhole humidifier—which is just a long skinny sponge in a neoprene sleeve. You’ll dampen this thing every couple weeks, wring it out so it’s not dripping, and stuff it inside the f-hole when you’re not playing.

That said, I also live in the Northeast with an Eastman 515 and it’s coping just fine without additional humidification. It was angry (refused to stay in tune, sounded crappy) for about a month after moving here from North Carolina, then acclimated to the weather and seems to be holding up just fine.

e:

Nice! It sounds like practice is working. :hmmyes:

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 17, 2022

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
What do yall think about tone guards, those cages you affix to the back of a mandolin so that it sits off the body a bit and increases resonance? Makes sense to me, and I was thinking about picking one up.

Anyone have one? Looks like there's one in that video above. Most of my playing is in loud bars competing, sonically, with other lound instruments in a weekly jam, so I could use a little help cutting through. For breaks, I have started lifting my mandolin up more towards the mic away from my body to get some better resonance and projection.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Planet X posted:

What do yall think about tone guards, those cages you affix to the back of a mandolin so that it sits off the body a bit and increases resonance? Makes sense to me, and I was thinking about picking one up.

Anyone have one? Looks like there's one in that video above. Most of my playing is in loud bars competing, sonically, with other lound instruments in a weekly jam, so I could use a little help cutting through. For breaks, I have started lifting my mandolin up more towards the mic away from my body to get some better resonance and projection.

I have been wondering about those too and just haven't gotten it together to ask.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So here’s the strap for my pin. You can see the end one, which unopened more, versus how they normally are.

And then here’s the pin on the bottom of my mandolin

Also I saw some rumblings online about humidifying and now I’m concerned cause I didn’t know anything about that and I’m in the North East in RI. Do I need to worry about using a humidifier in my case or whatever?

It seems like half of us are close enough together to share weather. Here in New York I've never felt the need to get a humidifier. If anything it's been really, really wet up here in the Northeast the last couple of weeks, geh? You should be fine unless we get a prolonged drought or you're doing something insane like storing your case by a wood stove.

Anyway, that strap : you can't really uncut something, but there must be ways to close that up a little more. (Leaving aside just getting a new one, but it's not like straps are expensive so it's good to keep in mind.) If I was you, I'd put the peg through the hole and then cinch shut the narrower part you opened up with just some strong black thread : it'll stay on good, it definitely won't damage anything, and it's an attachment point if you wanted to put in a decorative element. But I'm a bit extra and have a gently caress off colorful skull on my case and only take my strap off to change strings, so maybe I shouldn't be anyone's role model.

Planet X posted:

I have an Eastman 315, and I love it.

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

That said, I also live in the Northeast with an Eastman 515 and it’s coping just fine without additional humidification.

What is up, Eastern Seaboard Eastman Pals.

I have been consistently very, very happy ever since I switched over from my old Lloar. I can't get enough of the sound and it's just that tiny bit bigger so it fits my stupid shovel hands easier.

Did take me a second to get used to how strings are attached at the tail though. I might have spent a while trying to take a cover off that was definitely just the tailpiece and some strings were lost. Now I'm used to it and it's faster than ever, but that first time was weird lol.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Planet X posted:

I have one!

It is criminal that it’s not a standard piece of kit for mandolins. It makes an enormous difference and helps with the mandolin sweat spot on my shirts too.

I recall bitching about the price, but it’s worth twice whatever they’re charging. Mine is maybe 7 years old and going strong.

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 17, 2022

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Thanks. There's a shop about a half hour away from me that has them in stock so I'll go check them out when I can.

Xiahou Dun posted:

What is up, Eastern Seaboard Eastman Pals.

East Coast Beast Coast :banjo:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I don't think I've shared this to the thread, it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d06qLgWBGaI

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Anyway, that strap : you can't really uncut something, but there must be ways to close that up a little more. (Leaving aside just getting a new one, but it's not like straps are expensive so it's good to keep in mind.) If I was you, I'd put the peg through the hole and then cinch shut the narrower part you opened up with just some strong black thread : it'll stay on good, it definitely won't damage anything, and it's an attachment point if you wanted to put in a decorative element. But I'm a bit extra and have a gently caress off colorful skull on my case and only take my strap off to change strings, so maybe I shouldn't be anyone's role model.

I ended up ordering this nice strap from a site called legacy straps for now:

I’ve planned on getting a much nicer, but pricier, leather strap down the line but I just wanted something in the midterm to make it easier to hold

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Dumb technique question :

If I’m in first position and doing a slide from the second fret to the 4th fret, how much does it matter which finger I use? Right now it varies depending on what I’m doing next : mostly it’s my middle finger so I wind up ending still in first, if I’m switching to second position anyway I use my index and then there are some weird in-between edge cases I don’t know.

Basically I’m working on a version of St Anne’s Reel where I do an E ==> F# on the D string, but right after I want my ring finger still near the fifth fret so the easiest way is to kind of scrunch my hand and do the slide with my index and then if I open back up I’m perfectly positioned for the G-B double stop right after. Which seems really natural but I’m worried I’m making my garbage technique even worse.

Did that make any sense at all?

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’ll use the finger that I want to be anchored at the end of the slide, and/or whatever’s convenient for what’s coming next. Using your first finger to slide E to F# on the D string on your way to a G chord is fine.

BUT ALSO consider the shape of the G chord that comes next, and do you want to preserve that shape in your hand for the entire way up? Then maybe slide with the middle finger, and with the middle finger on F# you’re still right next to your G chord and barely even need to open your hand.

I had the good fortune to play at a small square dance the other week, and after playing six tunes for four hours I will emphasize that anything you can do to move your hands a shorter distance and still make the right sounds (and stay relaxed) is really clutch.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Are there any good videos or pictures on how to properly fret/hood a mandolin. I’ve started to take lessons but I’m having an issue where if I’m doing a more complex one my finger is slightly dampening a neighboring string by mistake. I’ve searched online and some people say it’s a common issue starting out and as you build calluses and firm up your finger tips it’ll happen less but I just wanna be sure I’m not having like a horrible grip or anything

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Are there any good videos or pictures on how to properly fret/hood a mandolin. I’ve started to take lessons but I’m having an issue where if I’m doing a more complex one my finger is slightly dampening a neighboring string by mistake. I’ve searched online and some people say it’s a common issue starting out and as you build calluses and firm up your finger tips it’ll happen less but I just wanna be sure I’m not having like a horrible grip or anything

Mandolessons and David Benedict, both on youtube, have multiple detailed videos where they talk about this. I think both are called something very obvious like "how to hold a mandolin".

But my stupid giant shovel paws can attest that also, no you really do get better with time and lots of build up on your calluses. Also really focusing on the angle of the grip helped, I have a sloppy habit of letting my palm drift parallel to the fretboard like playing a guitar.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'd been waiting for someone else to come along so this wouldn't be a double-post (sorry), but this tune library is really good if you have an interest in Irish music.

It's got... O gently caress if I know how many tunes. The number is measured in thousands, that I can tell. It's a lot. Just tunes arranged by type (reel, jig, hornpipe, barndance, air, waltz, polka, mazurka(!), slides, slip jigs, some schottisches, etc) with the full sheet music, tabs and at least one, often two, audio recording(s) so you can listen/get a feel. Plus links to thesessions.org or history of the tune and other names. Indexed alphabetically by tune type at the beginning and then also just in a huge alphabetized list.

It's a lot.

When I'm in the mood I've been kind of just trawling through until I find something I'm either familiar with or just sounds catchy and it's a pretty good time. A lot of the tunes are more tummy-feels than as written on the page, but welcome to the joys of trad music.

Current ones that are just fun to play : Christmas Eve, Cowboy Jig, Tom's Blue Boat, The Orphan, O'Neill's March.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Dumb technique question :

If I’m in first position and doing a slide from the second fret to the 4th fret, how much does it matter which finger I use? Right now it varies depending on what I’m doing next : mostly it’s my middle finger so I wind up ending still in first, if I’m switching to second position anyway I use my index and then there are some weird in-between edge cases I don’t know.

Basically I’m working on a version of St Anne’s Reel where I do an E ==> F# on the D string, but right after I want my ring finger still near the fifth fret so the easiest way is to kind of scrunch my hand and do the slide with my index and then if I open back up I’m perfectly positioned for the G-B double stop right after. Which seems really natural but I’m worried I’m making my garbage technique even worse.

For an E to F# slide I'd use the middle finger, as that's the finger you'd want to end up with on your F# in D major. What notes are you playing immediately after the F#? Third fret G and second fret B or fifth fret G and fourth fret B?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Lookin for some shortcuts on book recommendations. I'm an intermediate level mandolin player and I play nearly 100% traditional bluegrass. I've got the feel, I have listened to a ton of Bluegrass, I jam weekly or biweekly at tempo. I'm proficient in several instruments, not really super good at one thing. My theory is decent, but limited. I play whatever the ensemble needs, and right now, we have a ton of banjo and guitar players, and I'm either the only or one of a few mando players that show up, so I need to up my game and not just make educated guesses and hack my way through solos. There are great local guitar and banjo lessons, but none really for the mandolin

For a while, I took Sharon Gilchrist's premade lessons through Peghead Nation and they were really good, but I did it at a time where my attention was pretty split and it doesn't make sense for me to keep doing that. I want a physical book that is going to ground me in bluegrass licks, applicable scales (major and blues scales) and this here seems to be something that's on the short list for recommendations:

https://www.melbay.com/Products/22086M/the-mandolin-pickers-guide-to-bluegrass-improvisation.aspx

Anything else I should consider? I want an actual book that I can put in a stand that'll teach me how to evolve to be able to be somewhat creative in solos and when to use certain double stops (long vs short, say, as I picked up in Sharon's lessons).

I'm sitting down more and committing scales and fretboard to memory, and will have time over Christmas to put towards this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

For an E to F# slide I'd use the middle finger, as that's the finger you'd want to end up with on your F# in D major. What notes are you playing immediately after the F#? Third fret G and second fret B or fifth fret G and fourth fret B?

The latter.

Which I guess seems kind of silly now that I'm thinking about it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Xiahou Dun posted:

The latter.

Which I guess seems kind of silly now that I'm thinking about it.

If I was doing that I'd slide from E to F# with my 2nd finger and then use my 3rd finger for the G on the D string and drop the 2nd finger down to the B on the G string.

But I'd more likely do the G double stop on the higher strings and just be quick about it.

IF I ever needed to play a G/F# chord I'd squeeze my 3rd finger into that F# on the D string but otherwise I'd definitely stick to 2nd finger for 4th fret.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
i don’t really have a question but i’d just like to leave here that after 6 years of playing the ukulele left handed (strings mirrored) i am actually putting forth a decent effort to learn how to play a mandolin ‘correctly’ (right-handed) because oh wow does it sound not great when you strum with the highest string up top and i don’t feel like getting it restrung. hooray!

i will post updates if that is allowed lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

barclayed posted:

i don’t really have a question but i’d just like to leave here that after 6 years of playing the ukulele left handed (strings mirrored) i am actually putting forth a decent effort to learn how to play a mandolin ‘correctly’ (right-handed) because oh wow does it sound not great when you strum with the highest string up top and i don’t feel like getting it restrung. hooray!

i will post updates if that is allowed lol.

I'm not in charge of the thread, but I really appreciate other people sharing their on-going progress. Makes me feel less like I'm a unique incompetent because I just assume this comes naturally to everyone else lol.

I'm finally getting semi-comfortable with basic ornamentation, so I'm actually playing like double stop slides that don't sound like butt (sometimes, if I'm lucky). And holy crap that's a lot harder on my left hand. I can do like an hour or two and then it just nopes the gently caress out for the day because it's that annoying kind of tension-sore clumsy.